HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Volunteer Fire Fighter
Posted by: Dan1 ()
Date: February 25, 2008 02:21AM

I am trying to become a volunteer firefighter with one of the local departments. I have applied with Burke and Fairfax and have just send out my applications. My problem is I have horrible driving record (-29, mostly speeding. ABSOLUTELY NO reckless speeding tickets or any higher offences. I haven't had a ticket for almost a year). I spoke with a Loudon recruitor and she said that they dont have a specific set as to how many points one can or cannot have but the issue would have to be addressed with the board. What are my chances of getting in? I always wanted to volunteer with the fire department and I think it would be a great addition to my resume.thansk for any help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Volunteer Fire Fighter
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 25, 2008 03:45AM

I would say your chances in fairfax are pretty slim. No idea about loudoun.

Posted by: Taxman ()
Date: February 25, 2008 11:38AM

The fire department is primarily concerned with any criminal activity in your history. I do not believe that the county has a set number of points as a determing factor for acceptance in a vol. dept. However, the fire deptartments here and in other counties will be looking at how mature you are due to the demands of the job and a poor driving record can be seen as a sign that you may lack maturity. Good luck and if you get in, stick with it. It takes a long time and a strong commitment to go through the initial training.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: February 25, 2008 11:58AM

You may have an issue later if you want to be an apparatus driver. I doubt that you will get into EVOC (emergency vehicle operator driver training course) with that many points. Maturity is key, but most local VFDs are looking for people. Not to burst your bubble, but there is a lot of admin and support work (e.g. BINGO) that goes into being a volunteer fire fighter. Also, the training can be very time consuming.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 25, 2008 01:13PM

Dan1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am trying to become a volunteer firefighter with
> one of the local departments. I have applied with
> Burke and Fairfax and have just send out my
> applications. My problem is I have horrible
> driving record (-29, mostly speeding.

wow! that is a lot of tickets. well... i somehow dont think they are going to be putting you behind the wheel of one of the trucks.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: bob ()
Date: February 25, 2008 02:01PM

In Fairfax County after you express interest in a volunteer fire department, they work with the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department to run a background check on you. You will not be accepted anywhere, volunteer or career in Fairfax County with a driving record that bad. Forget it - when you join a fire department all of your public actions represent that fire department. No fire department wants someone with that pitiful of a record driving around with decals or firefighter tags showing the world how immature and careless you can be - it is a reflection of the organization you belong to. With that if you still don't believe it the FRD's website has a list of qualifications, etc... any individual must possess to be eligible for employment. Aside from any stations proprietary requirements, many of these are taken into consideration while they run your background check and report back to the VFD of your choice.

Loudoun County and many other rural volunteer departments that are not staffed 24/7 by career staff, and rely purely on volunteers will be likely to accept you. Don't dream about driving though, for a very long time. Aside from the fact that you'll be denied from the fire department's vehicle insurance, it is too much of a risk and liability if you crash. What will the public say when they find out XXX Department allowed you to drive? Fairfax County has a surplus of employees and resources, and volunteers are purely extra. Many departments are FULL with members, while a few such as Springfield, Dunn Loring and Bailey's Crossroads do.

Posted by: pizza joe ()
Date: February 25, 2008 02:44PM

-29 points. You must run red lights, speed and drive like a maniac. You already sound like you work for the fire department.

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: February 25, 2008 03:04PM

Come on folks...

I want to be a volunteer at a shelter but I've been arrested on numerous assault and battery charges - mainly on homeless people. "What are my changes of getting in"?

Why do you all take these idiotic posts so seriously?

Posted by: bob ()
Date: February 25, 2008 03:08PM

Tia2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Come on folks...
>
> I want to be a volunteer at a shelter but I've
> been arrested on numerous assault and battery
> charges - mainly on homeless people. "What are my
> changes of getting in"?
>
> Why do you all take these idiotic posts so
> seriously?

Are you serious? What's the point of the forum then?

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: February 25, 2008 03:11PM

bob Wrote:
>
> Are you serious? What's the point of the forum
> then?

OK - you got me...

Posted by: native ()
Date: February 25, 2008 07:07PM

so tia do you feel better about yourself now? you made a post that serves absolutely no purpose in an attempt to put someone also down with your sarcastic remark. Does this make you feel better somehow in your own little twisted way??? Go bleed somewhere for the remainder of your 7 days

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.