HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax County asks Springfield family to move or remove tree house
Posted by: Annoyed ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:20AM

SPRINGFIELD, VIRGINIA (NBCNews4) -- A second Fairfax County military family has been asked to move or take down its new tree house.

Airman Phillip Blevins spent two years building an eco-friendly tree house with his sons after the Air Force family was transferred from Colorado to Springfield, Va.

“We contacted the county and said we are looking at building a tree house in the backyard, and they told us that for a tree house, unless it was going to be something extravagant, that we didn’t need any permissions or paperwork to go along with that,” Blevins said.

Two months after finishing the tree house, Blevins was deployed as part of Operation Enduring Freedom, and someone anonymously brought the tree house to Fairfax County's attention, saying it was too close to the fence line.

Denise Blevins called a zoning official and asked for a delay.

“I said, There's nothing I can do. My husband is deployed. What am I going to do?” she said. “And he said that he would just talk to his supervisors and see if we could delay any action on it, and he did.”

But on Friday, the family got a court summons saying the tree house has to be moved or torn down within 21 days.

Last month, there was a groundswell of outrage from the neighbors of Mark Grapin, an Iraqi war veteran who finally won permission to keep his children's tree house standing in Fairfax County after his second try for a zoning variance.

The Blevins family is hoping for the same outcome.

“It seemed to be very similar with the other gentleman, and my guess is the timelines were pretty similar as well,” Airman Blevins said. “They just happened to get to our tree house a little later than his.”

A county spokesperson told News4 the county is looking in to the matter. In the meantime, the Blevins’ have contacted a lawyer.

The Blevins said they don't believe they can appeal the summons before the Fairfax County Zoning Board because the matter is already in circuit court.

View more videos at: http://nbcwashington.com.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax County asks Springfield family to move or remove tree house
Posted by: jbelle ()
Date: January 04, 2012 06:17AM

I'm a school teacher and my "anonymous" neighbors took it upon themselves to write to the county commissioners to tell them that I was running a business out of my house during the summer months, because they saw me puttering around in my garage. I had several inspectors here poking through my garage and yard, photographing just about everything. They even visited my school to see my classroom and speak with my Principal to verify that I was indeed a teacher on summer vacation. Nothng came of it, because the inspectors decided that it was OK for me to work on my own cars, paint my own house, fix my own fence, cut my own grass, and trim my own trees. The following week, my "anonymous" neighbor came over asking to borrow some of my tools, as he had often done before. What nerve! I told him to get lost. These people who have nothing better to do should look into volunteering at a nursing home or homeless shelter. Instead of keeping track of their neighbors' every move, why not put their efforts into something productive? I trust that common sense will prevail in Springfield, and the family is able to keep their kids' treehouse. Tell the neighbors to mind their own business.

Posted by: land of whiners ()
Date: January 04, 2012 07:31AM

Welcome to fairfax County where if you dont want to follow the rules you go to your nearest TV station and bore everybody else with your problem until you get your way. The words "news worthy" have no meaning anymore. Of course Channel 4 would consider this "breaking news"

Posted by: Yawn ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:02AM

Yawn, old news, dog bites man. Real news would be the County allowed it to stay up, but they would never do that.

Posted by: cowardly lowdown ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:14AM

These self-righteous, anonymous reporters will one day have karma kick them in their conceited heads. Despicable to wait until after the husband is deployed to report the tree house. Not surprising, though. This is how I've experienced the support of neighbors in northern Virginia. They want to beat other people down to make themselves feel more important and powerful.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:16AM

Maybe his neighbors don't want some brats jerking off next to their house. Sounds like soldier boy was rude and mindless where he put it up. It really doesnt matter if he's a soldier, butcher or candlestick maker when you feel entitled.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:38AM

"as long as it's nothing extravagant". Looks pretty extravagant to me. That's basically a rentable room in a tree. But that aside, neighbors need better things to do and worry about their own shit.

I will admit, I'd hate look out my back window and see that monstrosity, but in the end, I'd let it go because it's not my property and/or place to say anything.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:40AM

This is sadly why the County can't let one resident skate on requirements "just this once"... now it seems everyone feels they are entitled to break all the rules. Why have rules at all, the County should just send some guys over to take it down and haul it away like the police do to art displays put up by Occupy DC.

Date: January 04, 2012 08:41AM

Warhawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will admit, I'd hate look out my back window and
> see that monstrosity, but in the end, I'd let it
> go because it's not my property and/or place to
> say anything.

... until you want to sell your house, and you see that as people do drive-bys of your property to see if they should schedule a tour, their eyes look delightfully at your house but then drift to the monstrosity in the other yard, seem to frown, and drive off.

Posted by: priority ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:42AM

Too bad the county doesnt show the same zeal with the hundreds of day laborers who frequent the Backlick Rd. area. I would rather see a tree house than twenty guys pissing on the walls of 7-11

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:47AM

justsayin Wrote:
> Warhawk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I will admit, I'd hate look out my back window
> and
> > see that monstrosity, but in the end, I'd let
> it
> > go because it's not my property and/or place to
> > say anything.
>
> ... until you want to sell your house, and you see
> that as people do drive-bys of your property to
> see if they should schedule a tour, their eyes
> look delightfully at your house but then drift to
> the monstrosity in the other yard, seem to frown,
> and drive off.

Agreed. Then maybe that's when I'd call the county. LOL. However, it appears that currently the county/neighbor is getting them on a technicality. If that house was built 4 feet (or whatever it is) further inside the fence line, there's probably not much that can be done no matter how much crying a neighbor does.

Posted by: zack m ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:52AM

jbelle Wrote:
> I had several inspectors here poking through my
> garage and yard, photographing just about
> everything.

You should have told them to get lost and pointed out the Fourth Amendment. I had an issue with an assessment appeal and the guy told me he didnt need my permission to come onto my property, he could do that anytime he wanted. Long story short he thought better of it since I didnt care much for people I didnt know coming onto my property and especially those trying to look into windows.

Posted by: laws ()
Date: January 04, 2012 09:02AM

In agreement with the earlier post that states Fairfax County should spend more of their energy going after illegals in boarding houses than after people building tree houses.

Posted by: echo ()
Date: January 04, 2012 09:08AM

Totally agree that there are sooooooo many more pressing concerns for the county that a damn treehouse. I am quite sure there are local or state ordinances against LOITERING, which is what a person is doing if they stand as a group in front of the Annandale SafeWay for 6 hours a day. I think if the day laborers were white middle class guys like the treehouse guy they WOULD get loitering tickets.

Date: January 04, 2012 09:48AM

zack m Wrote:
> You should have told them to get lost and pointed
> out the Fourth Amendment.

YOU read the Fourth Amendment. It does not prohibit on-side property evaluations having NOTHING to do with investigating criminal activity. That is like saying banning of a poster on this non-government forum runs afoul of 1A.

Posted by: where does it end ()
Date: January 04, 2012 10:52AM

justsayin Wrote:
> This is sadly why the County can't let one
> resident skate on requirements "just this once"...
> now it seems everyone feels they are entitled to
> break all the rules. Why have rules at all, the
> County should just send some guys over to take it
> down and haul it away like the police do to art
> displays put up by Occupy DC.

Agreed, what if I wanted to build 3 or 4 treehouses in my backyard? The neighbors are suppose to not say anything? I guess if you are in the mTilitary they are supposed to cut you a break. Just put your uniform on and call for a film crew.

Posted by: Big bird ()
Date: January 04, 2012 11:25AM

If this was just a little regular tree house it would be one thing but this is not. Look at the size of it and it looks like someone could live in it. Bottom line that is much bigger then the county thought it would be. You say "tree house" and build a cottage. I would call the county also. And I'm sure the person did and it took the county a while to come look at it

Posted by: LEvUh ()
Date: January 04, 2012 11:26AM

That's not a treehouse: it's a guesthouse on stilts.

And no, being a war vet or soldier does not give you carte blanche to violate common-sense zoning ordinances that the rest of us have to follow.

Posted by: Jeremy White ()
Date: January 04, 2012 11:59AM

LEvUh Wrote:
> That's not a treehouse: it's a guesthouse on
> stilts.
>
>
> And no, being a war vet or soldier does not give
> you carte blanche to violate common-sense zoning
> ordinances that the rest of us have to follow.

Agreed.

Next, that thing will have insulation, electricity and running water. I'm surprised they didn't build a connecting walkway to the main house so the childrens wouldn't get their feet muddy.

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: January 04, 2012 12:15PM

Anyone notice the "Stars and Bars" flying in the reflection of the window when the lady was interviewed?

Maybe it was the treehouse which set off the neighbor who complained? Or maybe it was their Confederate Flag?

Posted by: trooper 12 ()
Date: January 04, 2012 12:15PM

The reporter ends with:

"...in the hopes that Fairfax County might change it's mind."

Why do media and commonfolk insist that large entities are supreme beings?

Date: January 04, 2012 12:18PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> Anyone notice the "Stars and Bars" flying in the
> reflection of the window when the lady was
> interviewed?
>
> Maybe it was the treehouse which set off the
> neighbor who complained? Or maybe it was their
> Confederate Flag?

Good catch. There's a second Confederate flag on the inside of the tree house, seen on the wall at 0:58.

Posted by: dopysmoky ()
Date: January 04, 2012 12:42PM

Damn those kids are gonna have fun smoking pot in that when their teenagers.

Posted by: Yahright ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:16PM

Ok, so I took a look at both tree houses.

Neither of them are monstrosities, and they both look very well put together. They're assets, not liabilities. The only issue is being too close to the fence line.

With the second guy (the one from this thread) they TOLD him he didn't need any permits. WTF??

Also, if neighbors had an issue, why didn't they take it up with the individuals in question first instead of running to the county like little bitches.

On top of that, the sniping against the military status is a bunch of bullshit. Get your fat asses up off the keyboard and out of Mom's basement first. I've seen plenty of bullshit that skates on by from civilians, but all of a sudden because it's military its an outrage? WTF????

Posted by: no fat asses here ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:37PM

Its not sniping on people in the military, their job should have no influence on the outcome. The first tree house guy does an on the spot news interview in full dress blues, what gives? Thats like the guys who show up in court all the time for a DUI hearing in full uniform.
When I was in a uniformed service, the last thing I would want to do is wear it in court while accused of a criminal violation in hopes of mercy from the judge. If I was any of these joker's C.O.s ,I would have a word with them afterwords about advertising their stupidity while representing their unit.

Posted by: Yahright ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:40PM

The outcome, maybe not.....

But the SCRA is a federal law that says any non-criminal actions against a service member have to be delayed until they return from deployment. That was clearly violated here......

Posted by: aaaaaaaa ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:43PM

Yahright Wrote:
>
> With the second guy (the one from this thread)
> they TOLD him he didn't need any permits. WTF??

Because, as another poster noted, this guy basically built a guest house on stilts. What if I asked the county if I needed a permit for a "treehouse", then proceeded to build a 3000 sq. ft. building barely attached to a 3 ft. sapling in my back yard, 4 feet from the property line?

One thing for sure these "treehouse" builders have accomplished -- the County will now be quick to require permits for them since a-holes are taking advantage of it.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:55PM

Is it, or is it not his property? I say he can build as big a tree house and fly as many kinds of whatever flags he wants.

Posted by: guess again ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:56PM

Yahright Wrote:
> The outcome, maybe not.....
>
> But the SCRA is a federal law that says any
> non-criminal actions against a service member have
> to be delayed until they return from deployment.
> That was clearly violated here......

Well Common law is what the state of Virginia is regulated by, and if the wife's name is on the house title she can be held accountable for any violations as well, and I dont believe from the newscast she is. Irregardless whether she helped build it or not, she is not not granted the same protection you quoted and can be made to tear it down.

Posted by: alpha wolf 44 magnum tuff ()
Date: January 04, 2012 05:27PM

The story just ran on CBS USA 9 News Now -- the shots which depicted Confederate flags were not included.

After the piece the African American news anchor asked what I thought, and to share my thoughts on facebook. She has not one clue.

Posted by: Yankee ()
Date: January 04, 2012 07:07PM

“We contacted the county and said we are looking at building a tree house in the backyard, and they told us that for a tree house, unless it was going to be something extravagant, that we didn’t need any permissions or paperwork to go along with that,” Blevins said.

If that "treehouse" isn't extravagant, what is? The guy even references "the loft". That thing practically has its own parking spot.

“I said, There's nothing I can do. My husband is deployed. What am I going to do?” she said.

What, is this woman helpless without her husband? This isn't the 19th century - or even the 20th. And she doesn't seem to be too helpless to talk to a lawyer.

"Is it, or is it not his property? I say he can build as big a tree house and fly as many kinds of whatever flags he wants."

It's his property, subject to the laws of Virginia, Fairfax County, and his own neighborhood association. These laws exist for a reason, and they apply to everyone for a reason. The neighbor just brought this code violation to the County's attention. It's the county who decided to pursue it.

That treehouse is bad enough, but then they have a Confederate flag??? Yes, it's inside their property, but they're not exactly taking pains to hide the thing. What if the family next door is black? Do you think they might take a little bit of offense? These people might as well have a swastika on display. And what if they decided to fly the Confederate flag up a pole. Don't you think that there might be a few objections? The weird thing is, this family doesn't even seem to be from the South.

People don't gratuitously report things like this - they do it because they find it intrusive or offensive and probably illegal. Get over it and take that thing down or move it.

Posted by: MisterSpookey ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:22PM

Yankee Wrote:

>
> People don't gratuitously report things like this
> - they do it because they find it intrusive or
> offensive and probably illegal. Get over it and
> take that thing down or move it.

wow, you don't know shit. 'find it intrusive'? is that some sort of fucking standard for making other people do shit? go fuck yourself you pretentious d-bag.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
It seems to me, at the end of the day, with all that being said, that's not necessary.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Posted by: Neighbor/Friend ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:22PM

I'm right there with ya, Warhawk!

Posted by: Sarge ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:39PM

First of all, I love the military, and am very thankful for what those guys (and gals) for us.

Second of all, generally speaking, I dislike most governmental regulation.

Third of all, I very much dislike neighborhood busy bodies.

This has nothing to do with military. That is an angle by the news folks to incite passions amongst viewers, and raise ratings. So, if you're in the military (or have been), rules shouldn't apply to you?

Much like those stories where airlines were charging our "boys" for their luggage. Of course, I don't remember seeing the fact that they get reimbursed for travel related expenses. And remember, they get charged for EVERYTHING...meals, cokes, socks, etc...some things they are reimbursed for, some, they are not...but do the news crews make stories about McDonald's charging them for hamburgers? Don't remember seeing that.

And as much as I dislike those things as I pointed out above, what would people say if every returning war vet started building tree houses in their back yards...and without regard to safety standards, etc...

Please don't think we need to start cutting military guys breaks on these types of things...let them to the front of the line, buy them a beer, treat them with respect, yes.

And don't start thinking the news people give a rats ass---they are looking to incite passions, either way, just to get ratings.

Posted by: very plain ()
Date: January 04, 2012 10:03PM

treehouse - NO

five families in one home - SI'

Posted by: Sharon Bulova ()
Date: January 04, 2012 10:12PM

very plain Wrote:
> treehouse - NO
>
> five families in one home - SI'

Well if you don't like it, then you can git out!

Posted by: rex grossley overated ()
Date: January 04, 2012 11:22PM

Dude really put some time and effort into it, not your everyday treehouse. I would be ok living next door unless mexicans moved a family into it.

Posted by: Lloydster ()
Date: January 05, 2012 08:23AM

Sarge Wrote:
> First of all, I love the military, and am very
> thankful for what those guys (and gals) for us.
>
> Second of all, generally speaking, I dislike most
> governmental regulation.
>
> Third of all, I very much dislike neighborhood
> busy bodies.
>
> This has nothing to do with military. That is an
> angle by the news folks to incite passions amongst
> viewers, and raise ratings. So, if you're in the
> military (or have been), rules shouldn't apply to
> you?
>
> Much like those stories where airlines were
> charging our "boys" for their luggage. Of course,
> I don't remember seeing the fact that they get
> reimbursed for travel related expenses. And
> remember, they get charged for EVERYTHING...meals,
> cokes, socks, etc...some things they are
> reimbursed for, some, they are not...but do the
> news crews make stories about McDonald's charging
> them for hamburgers? Don't remember seeing that.
>
> And as much as I dislike those things as I pointed
> out above, what would people say if every
> returning war vet started building tree houses in
> their back yards...and without regard to safety
> standards, etc...
>
> Please don't think we need to start cutting
> military guys breaks on these types of
> things...let them to the front of the line, buy
> them a beer, treat them with respect, yes.
>
> And don't start thinking the news people give a
> rats ass---they are looking to incite passions,
> either way, just to get ratings.

Might I ask why you put '(and gals)' in parenthesis. Seems kind of condescending, like the female soldier is an afterthought or something there Sarge.

I could be wrong but I'm right 99% of the time

Posted by: Capn ()
Date: January 05, 2012 08:36AM

Lloydster, dear boy, I put gals in parentheses because I was referring to soldiers (male and female) as guys.

I wanted to point out (and bring attention to the fact) that many soldiers are in fact female, even though I might refer to the group of them as guys.

Still, the vast majority of soldiers are male, so, I might continue this practice until the ratio at least approaches 50/50. And even then, I might continue calling soldiers guys (with a special shout out to gals) until the ratio is close to 50/50 for say, a long ass-time. Because soldiers historically have been male.

So, contrary to the notion that gals are an afterthought, I was highlighting the fact that gals are in fact soldiers, albeit in smaller numbers and albeit relatively recently.

Posted by: asked about permit ()
Date: January 05, 2012 08:44AM

Whether the dad is a deployed soldier or a teacher or a bus driver--makes no difference.

He asked the county about getting a permit and was told he did not need one. Rules for building should have been handed to him then. Why did the county wait until he was deployed to say "Waaaaahhh--we don't approve" ?

It's very telling that Fairfax County will get their undies in a bunch about a treehouse in a family's yard, but they turn a blind eye to the loitering illegals crammed into apartments/boarding houses.

Date: January 05, 2012 11:31AM

Yankee Wrote:
> It's his property, subject to the laws of
> Virginia, Fairfax County, and his own neighborhood
> association. These laws exist for a reason, and
> they apply to everyone for a reason. The neighbor
> just brought this code violation to the County's
> attention. It's the county who decided to pursue
> it.

Good point. If it’s against a law and if he is guilty of breaking it then it’s his fault, he should pay the consequences. However, I reserve the right to disagree with said law.

> That treehouse is bad enough, but then they have a
> Confederate flag??? Yes, it's inside their
> property, but they're not exactly taking pains to
> hide the thing.

You think they should hide it? Perhaps they should just fold it up and keep it in the basement. Would that be cool with you? Or should they just throw it away? Please, tell me what kind of flag I’m allowed to have and how to display it.

> What if the family next door is
> black? Do you think they might take a little bit
> of offense? These people might as well have a
> swastika on display. And what if they decided to
> fly the Confederate flag up a pole. Don't you
> think that there might be a few objections? The
> weird thing is, this family doesn't even seem to
> be from the South.

This is where you lose me. To my knowledge, It's not against the law to fly a flag. Though, from the sounds of it, you would like it to be. Let's make more laws so no one gets offended! Then we can pay more taxes to enforce them. Constitution? Rights? What? A neighborhood (state/country) that tells me what kind of flag I can fly is not one I want to live in.

> People don't gratuitously report things like this
> - they do it because they find it intrusive or
> offensive and probably illegal. Get over it and
> take that thing down or move it.

Again, there is no law against it. Live and let live. Did my flag hurt your feelings? Too bad. You are the one who needs to "get over it". That, or vote to make a laws restricting freedom of speech. I’m sure you’d prefer the latter. Fortunately, many people prefer freedom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 11:32AM by More Complete.

Posted by: Most Complete ()
Date: January 05, 2012 12:16PM

More Complete Wrote:
> Yankee Wrote:
> > That treehouse is bad enough, but then they have a
> > Confederate flag??? Yes, it's inside their
> > property, but they're not exactly taking pains to
> > hide the thing.
>
> You think they should hide it? Perhaps they should
> just fold it up and keep it in the basement. Would
> that be cool with you? Or should they just throw
> it away? Please, tell me what kind of flag I’m
> allowed to have and how to display it.

Oh sorry maybe you would have preferred this one that is at YOUR house
Attachments:
gilliwog.jpg

Enough Already
Posted by: American Girl ()
Date: January 05, 2012 12:45PM

Leave the family alone.

Date: January 05, 2012 01:08PM

Most Complete Wrote:
> Oh sorry.

Yes, you are. As you should be.

Posted by: K. Lepto ()
Date: January 05, 2012 01:47PM

Can the family produce any proof that they spoke to anyone from the County before constructing this thing? Did they write down the name of the person they spoke to and the date and time the conversation took place? How do we know they aren't making that part up?

Date: January 05, 2012 06:48PM

Of course they are making it up, that is obvious. That is what the Falls Church guy claimed the county said, the Springfielders are recycling that story in hopes it will save their racist treehouse like it saved the other treehouse.

Posted by: Zoning ()
Date: January 05, 2012 10:03PM

Look -- you cannot build ad hoc structures in an urban area like Fairfax County right next to the property line. There is a mandatory setback that you have to abide by.

You cannot build tall structures without permission. That is the way it is. Move out to the Country if you want to not have to deal with property zoning and land use laws.

Posted by: A Resident ()
Date: January 06, 2012 12:32PM

1. The family claimed it is not extravagent. Guess what? That is way beyond extravagent.

2. I know from experience...that treehouse and similar ones are over the FFX Co. zoning height requirements.

The family was REDICULOUS to initiate a lawsuit AND contact the media. They will lose any appeal and will end up tearing it down. Military deployment or not. Stop your wining and get rid of that monstrosity. Just because your kids are "special" doesn't give you carte blanche.

Posted by: Builder ()
Date: January 06, 2012 01:22PM

K. Lepto Wrote:
> Can the family produce any proof that they spoke
> to anyone from the County before constructing this
> thing? Did they write down the name of the person
> they spoke to and the date and time the
> conversation took place? How do we know they
> aren't making that part up?

I had some experience with Fairfax County, albeit years ago. I had bought some property and was subdividing it. Went through all the hoops required. had and inspector come out and I asked him about the size of the sewer line to an existing house. He gave me an answer and I had a new sewer line run based on that nformation. Later, same inspector told me it would not pass because it was the wrong size. Went to supervisors office and guess what, nothing could be done. Either the inspector was incompetent or intentionally lied, in any event it cost me thousands of dollars.

Most fences in Fairfax County are 6' high. I called the county and asked how high a fence could be built, ordinance is a fence can't be over 7' high unless it's engineered specifically for a great height. Now, there's no argument about the need for building specificaitons but, before I builda 7' fence I'm going to get a copy of the ordinance.

bottome line you cannot trust what an official from the county tells you!

Posted by: pupster ()
Date: January 06, 2012 01:36PM

the last time I called the county about an assessemnt the guy didnt speak English. I just had to keep calling back until I got an American

Posted by: I am sure ()
Date: January 06, 2012 01:40PM

If they were smart they would claim the treehouse is actually home to a family of illegals waiting on a Sharon Bulova section 8 luxury condo to come open. Case closed.

Posted by: sarge ()
Date: January 06, 2012 01:59PM

After watching the clip, I can't help but think, what were these people thinking?

And I am very pro-military, and pro-no government intervention.

You're going to build a very visible structure meant for human use (ten feet off the ground, no less), based on a phone call conversation, without a permit?

And you are going to argue that it is not extravagent, but then go on to describe its features, ie, loft, battery powered lights, eco friendly...etc? It looks like it has weather insulated windows!

What the f were you thinking?

Did they did go to the press themselves to play the "military card"?

Date: January 06, 2012 03:09PM

sarge Wrote:
> Did they did go to the press themselves to play
> the "military card"?

Of course, otherwise that fact wouldn't have been raised. I don't think that should be used to excuse one to break the law. Our military fights for American laws, not against them.

I don't know when Fairfax County suddenly became Winchester in these peoples' heads and they feel they can build whatever will survive a thunderstorm.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: January 06, 2012 09:40PM

Posted by: No s*** ()
Date: January 06, 2012 09:43PM

Yep, looks pretty god dang simple to me. Read the freakin' internet, before building a freakin treehouse.

But they got the "word" of some phantom official, so let's call the news channel and tell 'em we's in the military...

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: January 06, 2012 10:10PM

Where is that Confederate Flag that was reflected in the window during the interview?

Blessed are the murderous.

Posted by: 6X ()
Date: January 06, 2012 10:15PM

eesh Wrote:
> Where is that Confederate Flag that was reflected
> in the window during the interview?

Ha, I saw that too

Date: January 06, 2012 10:20PM

eesh Wrote:
> Where is that Confederate Flag that was reflected
> in the window during the interview?

There are at least two: an exterior one, seen reflected at 0:52; and one fastened to the interior of the kids' treehouse, seen at 0:56.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: January 06, 2012 10:21PM

6X Wrote:
> eesh Wrote:
> -----
> > Where is that Confederate Flag that was
> reflected
> > in the window during the interview?
>
>
> Ha, I saw that too

I'm thinking that they are flying it on their porch. That's probably why the neighbors turned them into Fairfax County for a zoning violation, to get the rednecks out of the neighborhood.

Blessed are the murderous.

Posted by: 6X ()
Date: January 06, 2012 10:27PM

eesh Wrote:
> 6X Wrote:
> -----
> > eesh Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Where is that Confederate Flag that was
> > reflected
> > > in the window during the interview?
> >
> >
> > Ha, I saw that too
>
>
>
>
> I'm thinking that they are flying it on their
> porch. That's probably why the neighbors turned
> them into Fairfax County for a zoning violation,
> to get the rednecks out of the neighborhood.

Damm Yankees

Date: January 07, 2012 11:21AM

I think it is the same flag, with the lady first being interviewed in front of the "non-extravagant-tree-house-that-is-really-a-new-structure" door (not a reflection, it is through the window) and the second with the kid underneath it happy to be on camera with his parents' racist flag in his private guest house.

Obligatory outdoor trampoline also seen in the video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 11:21AM by justsayin.

Posted by: I'm Special ()
Date: January 07, 2012 11:36AM

Shadow Wrote:
> Amazing...on this week's Fairfax NewsWire...
>
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news/2012/updates/cal
> l-to-learn-zoning-rules-for-treehouses.htm

Those rules don't apply to me because "I served".

Posted by: Homie D Clown ()
Date: January 07, 2012 11:56AM

Yankee Wrote:
> “We contacted the county and said we are looking
> at building a tree house in the backyard, and they
> told us that for a tree house, unless it was going
> to be something extravagant, that we didn’t need
> any permissions or paperwork to go along with
> that,” Blevins said.

I vote "extravagant", and it appears many on FFU do as well.

Auxillary structure requirements apply, case closed.

I wonder if their home owners insurance company knows about this?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.