HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Condo HVAC system
Posted by: r ()
Date: December 27, 2011 04:02PM

looking at purchasing a new condo, but the HVAC system has to be replaced. Anyone know of a good HVAC contractor in the NOVA area? seems like there is mold in the system and its very old.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Condo HVAC system
Posted by: One word ()
Date: December 27, 2011 06:16PM

Run!

Posted by: ^^^ ()
Date: December 27, 2011 06:55PM

i just went through the same thing. there is no cheap way of getting new hvac & with the mold.... withdraw your bid on the house ASAP

Posted by: homer2 ()
Date: December 27, 2011 08:25PM

r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> looking at purchasing a new condo, but the HVAC
> system has to be replaced. Anyone know of a good
> HVAC contractor in the NOVA area? seems like there
> is mold in the system and its very old.

Call MR stride. they will be straight with you.

Posted by: Condo Owner ()
Date: December 27, 2011 09:37PM

Holy fuck! Back the fuck out of this deal now!

I just went through the same thing! I moved into a 35 years old building, forced the previous owner to pay for a 2 year home warranty and sure enough 2 of the 3 HVAC units in my condo shit the bed after the warranty.

They are an unusual size and there is one...ONE manufacturer making a replacement. Price? $13,000 per!

Get out! Get out now! And if you don't get out, insist the current owner replace the HVAC unit as part of the sale. In this home market, you hold the power.

Posted by: whiskey tango foxtrots ()
Date: December 27, 2011 09:40PM

13 g's per unit? you have to be fuckin kidding me?

Posted by: HamptonsCap ()
Date: December 27, 2011 11:25PM

If this is a resale from another owner you can add a home inspection clause but the resolution to fix such a large item can be difficult to procure even after said inspection. It does permit you the ability to walk on the contract but as others have stated, it can be an expensive repair. You may want to explore other options or know all your rights before you move any further with this deal.

HC

Posted by: wally pip jr. ()
Date: December 28, 2011 03:49AM

i hate condo life

Posted by: Condo Owner ()
Date: December 28, 2011 09:24AM

whiskey tango foxtrots Wrote:
> 13 g's per unit? you have to be fuckin kidding me?

I wish I were...Oh, I wish I were. In the end, I went with a floor model that has a ducted vent to the outdoors via a nearby window. It looks ghetto ass as hell, but given that its technology is 30 some years newer than what I had, my energy bills have dropped by 23%!

I don't know what I'm going to do when it's time to sell because no one will buy a place with the in-wall HVACs inoperable. I guess I can hope they don't research the replacement cost.

Posted by: Been there ()
Date: December 28, 2011 09:48AM

Call Consumers Choice heating and air conditioning at 703-690-2100.They are the experts in condominium, high-rise HVAC application with over (20) years installing and repairing your type of equipment. There are several differences in parts required for high-rise condominium systems and alot (most) of the companies in this area aren't familiar with the requirements. Also, the average system size wise (2 ton) ran me $5000 installed for CArrier equipment. That's the entire system, air handler (indoor unit), heat pump (outdoor unit) new heater package and thermostat. The mold issue might not be as bad as you think. Also, a condensate drain line in a high-rise can cause mold odors. Hope this helps.

Posted by: whaaa ()
Date: December 28, 2011 11:59AM

Yeah, I had the complete air conditioner and gas furnace, plus all new up-to-code wiring and stuff done for $5000 a few years ago in my 1973 condo.

Posted by: Caveat ()
Date: December 28, 2011 02:09PM

HamptonsCap Wrote:
> If this is a resale from another owner you can add
> a home inspection clause but the resolution to fix
> such a large item can be difficult to procure even
> after said inspection. It does permit you the
> ability to walk on the contract but as others have
> stated, it can be an expensive repair. You may
> want to explore other options or know all your
> rights before you move any further with this
> deal.
>
> HC

I could be wrong, but last I knew the owner would have to disclose such a significant defect to other potential purchasers once it has been brought to their attention. That might make them more willing to replace the HVAC themselves.

Posted by: HamptonsCap ()
Date: December 28, 2011 03:56PM

Yes, you are correct. Sellers are required to disclose known defects to buyers. My question now is did they disclose this to the buyer beforehand or just brushed over the issue with the hvac and now it is surfacing? I've seen some property disclosures that lack hard details, almost like the sellers didn't take it seriously when they completed the form.

Posted by: Peter F ()
Date: December 28, 2011 04:04PM

I say again, run!

Posted by: Been there ()
Date: December 28, 2011 04:55PM

if anyone is charging more than $5000 for a 2 ton system then they're robbing you blind. Like i said, try Consumers choice. They've been installing these systems for years. Estimates are FREE. I had my system installed in July 2011, not 1973. COMPLETE system, top notch Carrier.

Posted by: HVAC ()
Date: December 29, 2011 10:25PM

Get contractor references from Washington Consumer Checkbook and Angie's List (may be available in your local library).

Posted by: wally pip jr. ()
Date: December 30, 2011 05:16AM

"Yes, you are correct. Sellers are required to disclose known defects to buyers. My question now is did they disclose this to the buyer beforehand or just brushed over the issue with the hvac and now it is surfacing? I've seen some property disclosures that lack hard details, almost like the sellers didn't take it seriously when they completed the form."

i hate condo life all the f8cking rules and ever increasing condo fees

Posted by: condomania ()
Date: December 31, 2011 09:57AM

whaaa Wrote:
> Yeah, I had the complete air conditioner and gas
> furnace, plus all new up-to-code wiring and stuff
> done for $5000 a few years ago in my 1973 condo.

Sounds like you have a split system, you are lucky. The OP is talking about a package ttw ducted system.
When the EPA regs pushed the lowest allowable seer rating to 13 they screwed millions of condo owners in the US bigtime. The existing wall sleeves simply will not support the airflow to get that kind of seer. Carrier threw up their hands and stopped making any type of unit that will fit. Most Condo buildings will not allow you to go to a split system or change the wall sleeve.
Some contractors are reluctantly using Armstrong units and retro-fitting them with sheet metal in a half ass sort of way to make them fit. They may go in but will never perform properly. The EPA needs to grant an exception to help these poor condo owners in my opinion.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: December 31, 2011 10:13AM

condomania Wrote:
> whaaa Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah, I had the complete air conditioner and
> gas
> > furnace, plus all new up-to-code wiring and
> stuff
> > done for $5000 a few years ago in my 1973
> condo.
>
>
> Sounds like you have a split system, you are
> lucky. The OP is talking about a package ttw
> ducted system.
> When the EPA regs pushed the lowest allowable seer
> rating to 13 they screwed millions of condo owners
> in the US bigtime. The existing wall sleeves
> simply will not support the airflow to get that
> kind of seer. Carrier threw up their hands and
> stopped making any type of unit that will fit.
> Most Condo buildings will not allow you to go to a
> split system or change the wall sleeve.
> Some contractors are reluctantly using Armstrong
> units and retro-fitting them with sheet metal in a
> half ass sort of way to make them fit. They may go
> in but will never perform properly. The EPA needs
> to grant an exception to help these poor condo
> owners in my opinion.

+1000

Posted by: Jeremy White ()
Date: January 01, 2012 11:36PM

13 grand for a Condo unit?????
Who the hell did you call? Julio and Sons??

I replaced three condo units this summer, not here but in Ocean City, in a condo building built in the early 80s and paid just under 1400 for each one.

They were 9 Seer Magic-pak units. Magic-pak is a Lennox division. Installation was as simple as sliding the old unit out and sliding the new one in. No need to mess with the wall sleeve. Hook up the electric, duct and cond. drain, land the t-stat wires and turn it on.

Posted by: d ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:57AM

has anyone tried OZONE Generators to kill mold?? does it work? SAFE??

Posted by: HVAC Replacement ()
Date: January 05, 2012 05:11PM

You'll spend some cash but it is do-able. Need to contract for duct cleaning ahead of new HVAC install. If it is a crazy mold issue- you'll face new install of ducts? New HVAC can include a UV-light option that will gradually subside/control existing/future mold. Do not know anything about Ozone Generators. Recommend three great local HVAC co's. ME Flow, Air Treatment Co. and Mannix HVAC for N.VA. area-- All provided good past service for our home and/or friend's residences.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.