HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
construction reccomendation
Posted by: Erin ()
Date: February 17, 2008 01:00PM

My husband and I are looking for a good company to do some roofing and siding on our house. We were thinking either Hoover roofing and sideing, or Katchmark construction, anyone got info on these two companies, or anyother good ones?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: construction reccomendation
Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: February 17, 2008 01:29PM

I have heard nothing but good on Katchmark. No word on the other.

I had a general contractor reside my house w/ vinyl siding (from alumn.) and re-roof the cedar shake roof.

Here was somehitng I learned during siding selections - pay CLOSE attention to the THICKNESS of the siding. I had a few quotes from companies who wanted to sell the absolute thinnest siding on the market. I wound up with the same brand (Certainteed brand) at a much thicker guage, for the same, or less than big name contractors wanted to charge.

Here is some addl. info on siding: http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/siding/side_1.htm

I will also say that after I got my cedar roof redone, (Bob) Banning roofing came by as other homes were getting the similar work done after a storm and he wanted to give me an estimate.

I said, YGBSM, I just had my roof done. Dumbfounded, he said it looked like a poor job and he sped off.
...a roof he did across the way from me at the same time, has already had repairs done.

Another roofer, Cardinal, had their home done again after about 7 yrs. Not very long for a good job, IMO.

Posted by: efat ()
Date: February 17, 2008 02:04PM

Not understanding. Did your GC do a poor job on your roof or was this Bob Banning character yanking your chain?

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: February 17, 2008 02:17PM

Hoover is a good company. Tom and his guys show up on time, complete on schedule, and clean up after themselves.

Right now is probably the best time to try and schedule with Hannah, as once the weather changes to Spring (Spring for real, not this 2-3 days stuff that is happening right now), they will be fully booked.

Posted by: Margie ()
Date: February 17, 2008 04:49PM

Tom Hoover did the siding on three family members homes..They were very happy with the work he has done for them. Also, Tom Hoover is well established in this community,so you know he stands behind the work he does.

Posted by: watcher ()
Date: February 18, 2008 07:34AM

On the topic of home improvement, we are looking at purchasing a foreclosure. The home is beautiful, but the interior looks like it was painted by a 10 year old who hadn't learned to stay in the lines. And the color selection is awful, too.

If we buy the house, we plan on having the interior painted a neutral cream color. Any suggestions on quality painters and what it might cost? The house has about 2800 square feet of living space, not including the finished basement (which doesnt need repainting)

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 18, 2008 07:46AM

painter recommendation: Rosendo Ceballos at 703-618-0899

He does quality work, quick, and for a fair price. What more can you ask?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2008 07:47AM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: Mike Sorce ()
Date: February 18, 2008 09:33AM

watcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If we buy the house, we plan on having the
> interior painted a neutral cream color. Any
> suggestions on quality painters and what it might
> cost? The house has about 2800 square feet of
> living space, not including the finished basement
> (which doesnt need repainting)

I don't have a specific recommendation, but we have had good success on Craigslist with painters and electricians. There are a lot of skilled tradespeople who work on the side and do excellent work for cash. We had a guy paint a bathroom and two bedrooms for $400 and he did excellent work. Unfortunately, he was in the Army Reserve and deployed to Iraq in October.

If you use CL, do the due diligence regarding references. We have not been burned, but friends were who only focused on price when they had kitchen cabinets installed.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: February 18, 2008 09:34AM

efat Wrote:
> Not understanding. Did your GC do a poor job on
> your roof or was this Bob Banning character
> yanking your chain?

My contractor did an amazing job and used better materials (thickness, etc.) for the same, or less $$ than other guys wanted to charge.

Banning rep. was a troll, looking for work - couldn't even realize my house was done. OPEN YOUR EYES, pro.

Posted by: watcher ()
Date: February 18, 2008 02:29PM

Great! Thanks for the information.

Posted by: Ed ()
Date: February 18, 2008 02:40PM

Its funny you bring up both those companies, when I used to live in Greenbriar ten years ago Tom Hoover did my roofing and siding and did a great job, I always thought he charged a lot though.
I never tried Katchmark Construction, but a friend of mine did and they take a lot longer to get the job done according to him. From what I've heard they both do a fine job, I'd reccomend Hoover though because I think hes more involved in his work and construction.

Posted by: Side Hobbies. ()
Date: February 18, 2008 08:09PM

I'd be wary of using CL for licensed proffessions. If you have an unlicensed electrician install lights, for example, and you house burns down, the first question your insurance co. will ask is "who did the work"? Was a permit pulled?

No permit=no insurance.

Make sure all contractors at your home are licensed,bonded and insured.

Posted by: Side Hobby ()
Date: February 18, 2008 08:13PM

Side Hobbies. Wrote:
> I'd be wary of using CL for licensed
> professions. If you have an unlicensed
> electrician install lights, for example, and you
> house burns down, the first question your
> insurance co. will ask is "who did the work"? Was
> a permit pulled?
>
> No permit=no insurance.
>
> Make sure all contractors at your home are
> licensed,bonded and insured. And willing to pull a permit.

Posted by: Mia ()
Date: February 20, 2008 03:54PM

Hoover is a good company run by a good man. I don't know much about Katcmark,but I had also heard they take longer to do the job and it is less personal than hoover, alot of times Tom Hoover comes and works on your roof, to my knowledge Katchmark does not.

Posted by: Smithy ()
Date: February 20, 2008 04:56PM

www.cslconst.com is an independent contractor that i've used before. They do good work and they're not expensive. They like working in the NoVa area.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.