HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What's a good place to learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in the area?
Posted by: BeagleMania ()
Date: December 16, 2011 03:01AM

Anyone here learning BJJ around the Burke/Fairfax area? I'm looking for a place that's cheap and that's really it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's a good place to learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in the area?
Posted by: Some Suggestions ()
Date: December 16, 2011 01:11PM

Not much in Fairfax/Burke. Check out Yamasaki Academy in Springfield and Woodbridge. Also Fairfax Jui Jitsu in Herndon. I believe classes run around $150/month.

Posted by: Lioncage ()
Date: December 16, 2011 06:16PM

Definitely tigerden. I see their painted vans everywhere. That much money In dePrecatIng assets such as hummers and high-end vehicles (yah, i know, hummer is marginal) and Paint would certainly make them the best. Marketing speaks truth, right?

Posted by: BJJFan ()
Date: December 16, 2011 11:16PM

Try Silverback Academy in Chantilly. They teach BJJ, Krav Maga, Kickboxing, Wrestling. Great school.

Posted by: Junio ()
Date: December 17, 2011 01:08AM

Nadie me molesta, ya sea!

Posted by: Brazilians are tough but... ()
Date: December 17, 2011 01:26AM

Brazilians are tough but Colombians are tougher.

Posted by: nofan ()
Date: December 17, 2011 03:46AM

The gracies have been doing street judo and calling it Jiu Jitsu for far to long.
Do you'r research and you will discover this to be the truth.

Look up Morris Allen (SP) he's a good judo instructor and then find a good boxing coach and the last thing is pick ya two or three kicks and just train.

Posted by: jitsui ()
Date: December 17, 2011 06:14AM

the Lamb Center offers some classes during the week

Date: December 26, 2011 04:43PM

do any of you have quotes on prices? Just curious to hear what people are paying where

Posted by: Wordsmth ()
Date: December 26, 2011 07:12PM

Not much in the Burke/Fairfax area. Fairfax Jiu Jitsu is great, but it's really in Herndon. Yamasaki Academy (either Springfield or Woodbridge location) are also excellent. Capitol Jiu Jitsu is good, but has a different "feel" than the Yamasaki locations. Leo Dalla (Arlington and Woodbridge) is excellent. Despite nofan's knock on jiu jitsu, he's 100% right about Maurice Allen: If you want to learn judo, he's the one to see. And if you're interested in grappling (jiu jitsu without the gi), they're all very good though there is a place in Fairfax--Carl Runk's World Karate in Twinbrooke Shopping Center--that has a good grappling class twice a week (Wednesday and Friday evenings).

As for prices: It'll vary depending on school and the program you choose (unlimited, 3x a week, 2x a week, etc.)--but roughly $110-$150 a month. Most also have some sort of introductory program--either 2 weeks free or 4 weeks for some minimal amount . . . something like that. Try a couple of different places out.

Date: December 27, 2011 11:46AM

Thanks a lot Wordsmth!

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: December 27, 2011 02:17PM

TV

Posted by: Rocco ()
Date: January 12, 2012 03:09PM

I have been in and around the Martial arts world in DC/NoVA for the last 12 years.

I have a few recomendations if you want to hear em..here it go

GMU right in Fairfax used to offer some intro BJJ lessons at the Aquatic center. Not sure if they still do. There are tons of BJJ schools in the Nova/DC area but most are far from FFX.

Yamasaki - good place for BJJ. They are competition wise the best BJJ team in all of DC area, bar none. You will hear people talking this and that, but their records do not lie. I used to train there and do not any longer because I moved. They also will teach you some judo as the Yamasaki brothers were Judo blacks belts first before BJJ.

Pedro Sauer - In Sterling which is not close but very throrough BJJ lessons from a very well known and legendary instructor.

Judo from Maurice Allen - Maurice is a great judo player as well as wrestler. He can teach you a lot. His school is off Edsall Rd not far from Braddock. You can also get some BJJ there as well.

Jiu Jitsu Now - In Chantilly, black belt instructor from Brazil, very well respected BJJ player.

LA Boxing - almost all local LA Boxing gyms in the NOVA area have a basics BJJ class 1-2 times a week which is great for starters.

I personally would not take lessons at Capitol Jiu Jitsu or most "Gracie Affiliates" because they are like just riding off the official "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" name. Sauer and Yamasaki are better and more well known in the actual BJJ community, whereas the name Gracie, as in Royce Gracie is popular amongst those not in the know.

Cheers and no matter what you decide, show up and smile, have fun and dont get frustrated.

Posted by: Boom ()
Date: January 16, 2012 05:33PM

Did you just say bjj player.. But try rolling with master Leo dalla just type his name in google

Posted by: Whobe ()
Date: January 16, 2012 07:32PM

How about a school that doesn't want a 1 year contract?
Monthly or quarterly, I can't stick with it for the whole year.

Posted by: Some Thoughts ()
Date: January 16, 2012 08:09PM

Whobe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about a school that doesn't want a 1 year
> contract?
> Monthly or quarterly, I can't stick with it for
> the whole year.

They are all going to try to sell you on a one year contract. That's how they make money - just like gyms. But you can try and see if they are agreeable to something shorter, especially if you have a good reason. But I have to wonder why you "can't stick with it for the whole year". BJJ schools are not like the run-of-the-mill martial arts schools around here. You don't get a gold star just for showing up. It can easily take two years to get a belt promotion - and you have to earn it. I wouldn't go into this sport if you're not in it for the long haul.

Posted by: Joemoplata ()
Date: January 17, 2012 05:19PM

I was directed to this post by a friend and I have to respond on a couple of points here.

I run a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school in Woodbridge which, technically, isn't very far from Burke if you want to come check it out. I am the head instructor there, it's a Yamasaki school the URL is www.yjjwoodbridge.com

I am a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and have been training with the Yamasaki Academy for 13 years. That being said I believe I can shed some light on some of the comments made here.

1. The Gracie family learned from Mitsuyo Maeda who was indeed a Judoka from the Kodokan. HOWEVER, at that point in time Judo was commonly referred to as "Kano Jiu Jitsu". So this is why they kept calling it that after Maeda left. Their isolated training kept them from following the rule changes made to the sport over the years in Japan. To say they are the same thing is just not true.

2. Maurice Allan is indeed a spectacular Judoka, probably the best in the Washington Metro area. I've known Maurice for over 10 years now and I know his daughter Kristen very well. Because she trains BJJ with us. In fact, her Dad brought her to train with us to improve her Ne-Waza (ground fighting). I know this because I was the person asked to spar with her on her first visit and we were long time training partners. Maurice and Kristen both would be the first to tell you these are very different sports and that ideally a person should do BOTH. Why else would Maurice's gym have a separate BJJ class?

3. The guys at Capital are friends of mine and they are a good place to train. You will get good instruction in a good environment at Capital.

4. Andrew Correa at JiuJitsu Now is a great guy and probably your closest school.

5. While I am obviously biased, I would pick Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu. Not only because they are a Yamasaki school but because they have three Black Belts teaching there and I personally know all of them very well and can attest to their character. Plus Abmar Barbosa is there a lot now and he's one of the best in the world.

Posted by: Drai ()
Date: January 17, 2012 08:47PM

Excellent suggestions from Joemoplata. I would also suggest Tony Passos in Sterling. Black belt under Ricardo de la Riva and a fantastic coach and overall great guy. I believe he will allow a monthly contract, too.

Posted by: South American. ()
Date: January 17, 2012 09:26PM

Brazilians will gladly roll around on the floor with you for half an hour during a fight.

Colombians dont have the time to do all that.

Colombia > Brazil

Posted by: Whobe ()
Date: January 17, 2012 09:35PM

Some Thoughts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whobe Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How about a school that doesn't want a 1 year
> > contract?
> > Monthly or quarterly, I can't stick with it for
> > the whole year.
>
> They are all going to try to sell you on a one
> year contract. That's how they make money - just
> like gyms. But you can try and see if they are
> agreeable to something shorter, especially if you
> have a good reason. But I have to wonder why you
> "can't stick with it for the whole year". BJJ
> schools are not like the run-of-the-mill martial
> arts schools around here. You don't get a gold
> star just for showing up. It can easily take two
> years to get a belt promotion - and you have to
> earn it. I wouldn't go into this sport if you're
> not in it for the long haul.

Odd, but I guess an answer can't hurt. I've been in "this sport" for a few years on and off. I get busy times of the year where I can't dedicate to going all the time. I'm not trying to go pro or care about getting a black belt in 2 years like some of black belt mills that are just trying to collect more money.

Posted by: Joemlata ()
Date: January 17, 2012 11:52PM

Not close to Fairfax, but indeed Tony Passos is a bad ass BJJ player for sure. We definitely are not lacking in quality BJJ instruction in this area. These threads usually devolve into "my BJJ school is better than yours" which is unnecessary, most of the schools around are legit and are not belt factories.

Most schools are going with yearly contracts but will work with you if you want something shorter, it just may be more expensive.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.