HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
AAA Recycling and Trash Service -- Issues
Posted by: Greg White ()
Date: December 12, 2011 07:39PM

We had AAA trash removal service for 18+ years. We recently cancelled the service because we were offered greater service for less money ($150/qtr to $75/qtr with pick up increasing from 1/wk to 2/wk). We got a trash can from AAA about 7 years ago. Now that we cancelled the overpriced service, AAA is charging us for refurbishing. In our opinion this is a ridiculous charge and infuriating. I called and left a message about a month ago but no one returned my call. We are disappointed in AAA.
American Disposal Service has been responsive and is less than half the price with twice the service. To try them out, call 703-368-0500

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AAA Recycling and Trash Service -- Issues
Posted by: DCPete ()
Date: December 12, 2011 08:22PM

I had BFI and then AAA for years; both were very disappointing -- they would miss pick-ups, raise rates often, and then I got stuck with that stupid refurbishing fee. I've been with American for about 5 years now. A MUCH better company!

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: December 12, 2011 08:55PM

What are they refurbishing? The trash cans? I bet there is a lot of fine print justifying that "cancellation fee" - and no accommodating usual wear and tear.

Not an option for everybody - I use Reston Trash. I use my own trash can and have had ZERO issues for over seven years.

ADS can eat a bag of dicks. I have three trash companies making four or so runs each per week - and ADS is the only one that is a public nuisance. They also went door-to-door lying about Reston Trash being sold to some big company in order to make them look better. I wish they didn't exist.

Posted by: i'm cool ()
Date: December 12, 2011 09:22PM

I like metal trash cans like the one oscar the grouch uses. Because you can use the lids as shields when having sword fights.

Posted by: fo ()
Date: December 12, 2011 09:48PM

American Disposal are the same guys that started and later sold AAA to Republic Services.

I've seen these trash wars before and if American eventually puts AAA out of the residential business, they will greatly raise their prices. Personally, I think American is operating at break-even or maybe even a loss now. That will/must change.

But I switched to American (from AAA) about six months ago. Might as well save a few bucks while I can.

And don't believe that American doesn't miss pickups, they do. Three times so far (in 6 months) for me.

If you complain to the County Consumer Dept (or whatever they call it), AAA will waive that bullshit "reburbishing" fee. While you're there, browse the complaint listings. American is neck and neck with AAA in the number of complaints.

Posted by: AAA Sucks ()
Date: December 12, 2011 10:09PM

AAA tried to screw us over, raising prices repeatedly in a 12-month period. Thank god they were so greedy, otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered calling and switching over to American Disposal. I've never had trouble with the service (from either), but the people at American are much friendlier and more responsive.

Posted by: Bigdog ()
Date: December 13, 2011 10:03PM

I went the other way and called AAA and told them I was going to switch services to save money if they couldn't match the price. I guess enough people left because they matched the price and I haven't seen an increase in 8 months.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: December 14, 2011 10:23AM

We are on our third round with AAA. Seems like each time we get a trash service company we like AAA buys them out. They do seem to be much better this time around than in the past, they are price competitive and we get twice a week pickup. I think one major issue is how many other customers they have near you.

Posted by: Former AAA User ()
Date: March 19, 2012 03:40PM

Does any one keep getting fuel/environmental recovery fee increases plus a commodity surcharge increase along with the $91.50 trash removal fee? I called AAA and to cancel they charge a $30 recovery fee to clean the trash can. American Trash Service is $80 less expensive a year. Figure that one out. Do I have to pay AAA to cancel?

Posted by: Another ()
Date: March 19, 2012 06:12PM

Yes they did the same to me but I was up to like $130. I was just paying my bill each time and not paying attention to its escalation every time. I wonder if they even want to continue to serve individual residences like mine in FFX station in favor of subdivisions where they do all the houses. When I called they didn't care and did not offer to bargain. There have been previous discussions of their fee here if you want to search. It's humorous that when they send a bill for that $30 there is a nasty note attached saying that if you don't pay within 30 days they would immediately send you to a collection agency. I just paid the $30 to be done with them.

Posted by: DAG ()
Date: March 19, 2012 06:18PM

Trash talk? Fascinating...

What exciting lives we must lead?

Posted by: AAA wants to screw you ()
Date: March 19, 2012 09:40PM

DO NOT pay AAA's "cancellation" fee unless they can show your signature on a written contract agreeing to the fee.

Posted by: getting screwed ()
Date: March 20, 2012 09:44AM

ok my bill every 3 months for AAA is $170.10. i'm scheduled for pick-up of my trash on mondays and thursdays. Other than that i'm not getting any special services and i don't have additional trash cans. Is anyone else paying close to this amount?

Posted by: Srrrsly ()
Date: March 20, 2012 10:18AM

Is it fucked up that I just bag it up, put it in my car, and toss it in the dumpster at Burke Lake a few times a week when I go on my runs?

Posted by: Former AAA Customer ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:33PM

My AAA bill is $121.46 for three months. Trash pick up is Tues and Fri and recycling is Tues. Yard debris is Wed. American gave me a rate of $102 every three months with no other fees added for gas and commodity rates. I think I will cancel with AAA and not pay their quitting charge as I never signed anything. AAA told me they send something in the mail every year.

You other ignorant people making fun of trash talk! At least we pay to have it picked up and are not wasting time making fun of other people who pay their bills. There is nothing wrong with comparing services from companies that seem to be ripping people off. I work for my money and do not like to be scammed or waste it.It is called being an educated consumer. Get a life and do something constructive people.

Posted by: Soon To Be Home Owner ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:39PM

As a trash removal customer, are you REQUIRED contractually to use their trash cans? That refurbishment fee is total crap.

Posted by: Same here ()
Date: March 20, 2012 07:59PM

my bill is also around $170.00 with AAA. Why in the he-- is there such a big difference in the fee from customer to customer. This company needs to be reported.

Posted by: waste nott ()
Date: March 20, 2012 08:24PM

Same here Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my bill is also around $170.00 with AAA. Why in
> the he-- is there such a big difference in the fee
> from customer to customer. This company needs to
> be reported.

The "county waste" takeover of AAA is well under way. They have the robotic trucks that slash the labor cost in half. AAA has been getting what they can the last few years. The buyout will be in the next two or three months.

Posted by: Anthony Le ()
Date: October 08, 2014 09:33PM

Can you call me 571 577-7222 thank you

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.