HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fender Bender - Call the Police?
Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:03AM

I was involved in an accident this morning. No one was hurt. Two cars hit and while one was backing up to got out the way, it hit me and caused substantial damage to my front end.

I did back up as much as I could but there was another car behind me. I honked but was still hit.

Once out of the roadway, we all got out to inspect damage. I said I was going to call the police. The driver who was most at fault begged me not to call because she did not have a license, but had insurance.

I said I had to call the police because I would be in danger of losing my insurance if I did not. I feared them changing the story once the dust settled.

My question is, was I completely correct in calling the police? Should I have had mercy on the one driver (the most at fault) who had "dmv issues"? Her husband came to the scene and asked if I would tell the police he was driving. I refused his request.

I know what I did was correct, I am just looking for some reason to be the bastard I was. Thank you.

I was not charged with anything.

And what you may presume about the most at fault driver's "other issues" is most likely true.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fender Bender - Call the Police?
Posted by: Frank ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:08AM

You did the right thing. Gotta look out for yourself.

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:27AM

If this person was driving without a license then can you really trust her to pay for the damage to your car?

Best to have the police report for insurance. You did the right thing.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:43AM

I wouldn't second-guess myself if I were you. Driving without a license is completely irresponsible behavior, and the fact that the husband asked you to commit a crime tells me these people deserve whatever trouble may be coming to them.

I'd be pretty infuriated actually if I were you.

Posted by: G. Friday ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:59AM

You did the right thing by calling the police and by, just as importantly, getting out of the roadway. Nothing is worse than two cars who won't pull out of the travel lane after a collision, as if the police are going to show up and perform a forensic analysis over a minor fender bender.
Of course, if there are injuries, stay put and get help. Otherwise, get off to the side of the road!

Posted by: Bog Sacremento ()
Date: February 14, 2008 05:49PM

Was she hot? Maybe you could've negotiated terms more favorable to you...

Posted by: stan ()
Date: February 14, 2008 06:36PM

My fiancee had something simular happen to her the other day, some guy tried to switch lanes and scratched the back bumper, he tried to get away and she chased him down, she also called 911 and told them she just got hit and the car ran off. the guy gave her all his info and it was a company car, he works for some lawn service. well when my girl got home we called the insurance, and they come to tell us that the guy came up with a story saying that she hit him and he had nothing to do with it,we even called his job and his boss said the same thing, that he's denying the whole thing. so now his insurance isnt tryin to pay.. What can we do? Anyone? Oh and shes 8 months pregnant.
Thanks and sorry to invade ur topic

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: February 14, 2008 07:35PM

Call dem cops up. Also, report to your insurance first thing.Dont wait until the evening.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: February 14, 2008 07:39PM

The last accident I was in, a guy on a motorcycle broadsided me (I saw him flying over my trunk lid). He didn't want me to call the police either, but I did. An hour later (in 103 degree heat) and no cop. Then the police called ME back and said they "were too busy to respond, just exchange information".

This guy also tried to change his tune and my insurance company fought it out with his. They both agreed with my version and I got paid. It's called subrogation...they know the situation could be reversed on the next wreck...so they work things out.

Insurance claims guys are better at accident investigations than the cops anyway.

Posted by: your'e not the father ()
Date: February 14, 2008 07:54PM

stan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My fiancee had something simular happen to her the
> other day, Oh and shes 8 months pregnant.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Why didn't you marry her 9 months ago?

Why didn't you use birth control?

Your accident was much worse than her accident.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: February 14, 2008 07:56PM

Something similar happened to me, except the guy had a license but no insurance. He did the same thing, begging that I not call the police. He even attempted to leave the scene of the accident.

I called the cops and we both filed a report. About a week later the asshole turned around and tried to sue me. Lucky for me the insurance company went after his ass and scared him off.

You did the right thing. I would rather be thought of as a bastard than a sucker.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: February 14, 2008 08:17PM

your'e not the father Wrote:
> stan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My fiancee had something simular happen to her
> the
> > other day, Oh and shes 8 months pregnant.
>
> What the hell does that have to do with anything?
>
> Why didn't you marry her 9 months ago?
>
> Why didn't you use birth control?
>
> Your accident was much worse than her accident.

And why don't you learn to correctly spell Fiancée?

hahaha - that was funny.

Thank you to all for your comments. I feel less of a "bastard" now, despite what Gravis says about me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 08:22PM by Radiophile.

Posted by: OhYeah ()
Date: February 14, 2008 09:15PM

wait a minute here.....you mean to tell me that all you cop haters now want the police to help you?....what a bunch of bigots!...first it's "eff the police" now "it's please help me officer, sir". unreal!

Posted by: ....... ()
Date: February 14, 2008 09:22PM

OhYeah Wrote:
> wait a minute here.....you mean to tell me that
> all you cop haters now want the police to help
> you?....what a bunch of bigots!...first it's "eff
> the police" now "it's please help me officer,
> sir". unreal!

Hey dick sucker...I still hate cops and I am not requesting any police help. Just cause some asshole wants to comply with the law...that has nothing to do with the haters ...

FUCK THE POLICE....FUCK EM

Posted by: native ()
Date: February 15, 2008 01:23PM

who let the 12 year old above out of the basement? Here is an idea, don't break the law and you won't be bothered. Worked great for me and yet to fail me! I say you did the right thing. Better be safe then sorry. Cover your ass dont worry about someone elsos. It would be you paying higher premiums and your insurance company would give you shit for not calling the cops.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.