HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Camaro Cops and other UC Cops
Posted by: Bballr ()
Date: September 29, 2005 04:34PM

I've seen the Camaro Cops and read a bunch of the posts on them, but I want to warn you all of Undercover SUV cops.

White Ford Expeditions! One came flying by me with lights on and siren blarring while I was at an intersection. Scared the crap out of me, but it went by me.

SPEED TRAP! On Fairfax County Parkway, going west just past Gambril Road, after going under both bridges, the next street on the right. The cops hide way back, but they can shoot their guns down that hill and nab you. Usually, all black Crown Vic. Other times they'll be like two or three reg. cops back there. Usually at the end of the month so they can get their quota.

And right after that trap and right past the next exit on the Parkway, there is usually an empty cop car sitting in the median, have yet to see an actual cop there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Camaro Cops and other UC Cops
Posted by: RoodyPoo ()
Date: September 29, 2005 04:57PM

yea, it's on the hooes road exit. they're ALWAYS there. i went to work one day, saw them at 1130a. went home, still there and it was after 7p. fucking outrageous. do some REAL work!

Posted by: Bballr ()
Date: September 29, 2005 05:02PM

I play basketball over by the Pohick Library and I've seen cops on dirt bikes flying through there. When they came back the parked right next to the court while we were balling. The ball actually hit one of the bikes, while the cop was one it. They never seem to roll by when there is actually illegal stuff going on.

Date: September 29, 2005 05:14PM

GOD, just thinking about these non-working schlubs, makes me so angry.

Posted by: bob ()
Date: September 29, 2005 11:17PM

It is against Fairfax County Police SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) to perform a traffic stop with an SUV or Truck - period. The ONLY time a SUV / Pickup-Truck will be used is if there is a look-out posted for a specific vehicle that is 'wanted' and that specific vehicle (with exact plates and description) passes the SUV or truck - other than that no go. The white SUVs are usually run by CIA or some other Federal Police Organization - Army Navy, etc... - they cannot do traffic stops period in county jurisdiction (other than their base), unless they also see a wanted / vehicle with an occupant with a warrant pass by. So stop complaining the SUVs are fine.

Posted by: darbrewe ()
Date: September 30, 2005 10:25AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 02:18PM by darbrewe.

Posted by: SWweeman ()
Date: September 30, 2005 12:48PM

Bballr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I play basketball over by the Pohick Library and
> I've seen cops on dirt bikes flying through there.
> When they came back the parked right next to the
> court while we were balling. The ball actually
> hit one of the bikes, while the cop was one it.
> They never seem to roll by when there is actually
> illegal stuff going on.

Are you that stupid? Really, answer the question. You have no idea what you're talking about. They were actually there, but you're complaining because they didn't see anything illegal. Like the loud noise of the dirt bikes wouldn't give them away or anything. Just their presence there is a deterent from anything illegally happening and you could play ball safely. I know, how about next time you see illegal activity and feel like being an upstanding citizen, how about you call the police. Or how about get information about the activity and pass it on. Did you even take the time to talk to the cops and tell them about the illgal activity and what times they should be around to observe it or who they should be looking for. You are the one the cops depend on for assistance. it is your community so do something about it. Not telling the cops and just sitting around letting it happen makes you just as guilty. One day when you morons become adults and have families you will probably understand this. But right now the world evolves around you.

You know in everyone of these posts, everyone complains about that enough isn't being done or they are doing something, but they should be doing something else. You all have your own concept of what police work is, but you have no idea what is actually done. You have watched too many reruns of COPS on Fox. Want to learn what they do, go for a ride along. They were running radar on the parkway, well the number one complaint from the county board of supervisors is speeding on the parkway. Duh, so they have to enforce it. If there is a call then they leave and handle the call. Plus, if you saw them there at 11 and then at 7, they weren't the same cops. They had a shift change before 7 numb nuts. If any of you think you can do a better job, than become a cop and make a difference. If not, shut up!!!! why don't you post to everyone what you do for a living so we can take jabs at your jobs.

Date: September 30, 2005 01:04PM

i don't speed... well at least in the areas where i know there are traps.

Posted by: Lefty McCopper ()
Date: September 30, 2005 02:28PM

Well said SWweeman. Since I seem to be the only one confessing to be a cop here, I'm willing to field any questions anyone may have about us in general. It seems to be ignorance which breeds discontent and if we eradicate it, maybe everyone will have a better understanding of what exactly we do other than eat doughnuts and burden you with traffic tickets.

In response to "bob", Fairfax does in fact use a document called an SOP, but it is relatively new. I think he may actually be referring to the police G.O.'s (General Orders) as the governing document for our agency. I am not aware of the G.O.'s stating anywhere that SUV's (we call them "Truck Chassis Vehicles") cannot perform traffic stops. In fact, the motor carrier saftey unit (they're the ones who enforce commercial vehicle traffic code so that the eighteen-wheeler that is doing seventy miles an hour on the parkway doesn't barrel into you because of faulty brakes) uses them as their primary mode of transportation. Here's another helpful hint to any would-be gripers out there: the G.O.'s are availible for review at most county run librarys.

As far as the comments from "RoodyPoo", I'm generally pretty tired after I finish my 11.5 hour shift. I guess that comes from all the "fake" police work I do. Or maybe it's from all the parking in fire lanes while I eat at the IHOP... that can really take it out of you.

Date: September 30, 2005 02:58PM

i like you left mccopper, if you really are one.

that is one thing that bugs the shit out of me, if when you all park in fire lanes. not to say that normal citizens don't do it, but come on. i've seen multiple times cops parking and going about their business like it's nothing. i worked at best buy in springfield, years & years ago, and one such cop parked right in the fire lane and went shopping. there was no call to that best buy or anything. i gave him a piece too when he finally left.

no doubt, being a cop is a tough job, a lot of shit work, dealing with idiots. but not everyone is.

also, i got pulled over by such a vehicle a couple of years ago. it was a big black suv and i was driving on old keene mill and the asshole driving it was behind me. i was trying to move to the right lane and no one was letting me move. so i got frustrated when the suv behind me swirved out from behind me into the right lane and i flipped the ol' bird at him. he slammed on the breaks and pulled me over. this jack-off made me give him my license and the proceeded to talk to me about how 'i need to respect him' and 'people like you (me) are hurting america'. oh yea, he was in plain clothes too. he said he was gonna run my shit and find everything on me if i lied to him. i didn't, had no reason to, and he said something nasty as he walked back to his car. i was PISSED about this.

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: September 30, 2005 03:00PM

SWweeman Wrote:

>
> Are you that stupid? Really, answer the question.
> You have no idea what you're talking about. They
> were actually there, but you're complaining
> because they didn't see anything illegal. Like
> the loud noise of the dirt bikes wouldn't give
> them away or anything. Just their presence there
> is a deterent from anything illegally happening
> and you could play ball safely. I know, how about
> next time you see illegal activity and feel like
> being an upstanding citizen, how about you call
> the police. Or how about get information about
> the activity and pass it on. Did you even take
> the time to talk to the cops and tell them about
> the illgal activity and what times they should be
> around to observe it or who they should be looking
> for. You are the one the cops depend on for
> assistance. it is your community so do something
> about it. Not telling the cops and just sitting
> around letting it happen makes you just as guilty.
> One day when you morons become adults and have
> families you will probably understand this. But
> right now the world evolves around you.
>
> You know in everyone of these posts, everyone
> complains about that enough isn't being done or
> they are doing something, but they should be doing
> something else. You all have your own concept of
> what police work is, but you have no idea what is
> actually done. You have watched too many reruns
> of COPS on Fox. Want to learn what they do, go
> for a ride along. They were running radar on the
> parkway, well the number one complaint from the
> county board of supervisors is speeding on the
> parkway. Duh, so they have to enforce it. If
> there is a call then they leave and handle the
> call. Plus, if you saw them there at 11 and then
> at 7, they weren't the same cops. They had a
> shift change before 7 numb nuts. If any of you
> think you can do a better job, than become a cop
> and make a difference. If not, shut up!!!! why
> don't you post to everyone what you do for a
> living so we can take jabs at your jobs.
>

Sweetman,

As a "concerned citizen" and a father, I pretty much agree with your views. However not EVERYONE one here complains about what the police are or are not doing. Some posters do but certainly not all. I'm a computer analyst for one of the phone companies so feel free to jab.

Lefty,

I'm tired after a long day at work too so if I snap back at you when you are unnecessarily agressive (because you're tired after a long day at work) then please, have some consideration that maybe I want to get home to my family as well. I'm sure you have some leeway to offer warnings instead of attempting to always fulfill a quota (if that actually exists in your jurisdiction).

Date: September 30, 2005 03:38PM

RoodyPoo Wrote:
> i like you left mccopper, if you really are one.
>
> that is one thing that bugs the shit out of me, if
> when you all park in fire lanes. not to say that
> normal citizens don't do it, but come on. i've
> seen multiple times cops parking and going about
> their business like it's nothing. i worked at best
> buy in springfield, years & years ago, and one
> such cop parked right in the fire lane and went
> shopping. there was no call to that best buy or
> anything. i gave him a piece too when he finally
> left.
>
> no doubt, being a cop is a tough job, a lot of
> shit work, dealing with idiots. but not everyone
> is.
>
> also, i got pulled over by such a vehicle a couple
> of years ago. it was a big black suv and i was
> driving on old keene mill and the asshole driving
> it was behind me. i was trying to move to the
> right lane and no one was letting me move. so i
> got frustrated when the suv behind me swirved out
> from behind me into the right lane and i flipped
> the ol' bird at him. he slammed on the breaks and
> pulled me over. this jack-off made me give him my
> license and the proceeded to talk to me about how
> 'i need to respect him' and 'people like you (me)
> are hurting america'. oh yea, he was in plain
> clothes too. he said he was gonna run my shit and
> find everything on me if i lied to him. i didn't,
> had no reason to, and he said something nasty as
> he walked back to his car. i was PISSED about
> this.
>
>

Well, I never said we were all "Good" cops. I'll give you this: it sounds like you've run into a few of the bad apples out there. After reading so many of these posts where people complain about cops "walking around like they own the place", etc, I've personally tried to take a step back and look at the image I'm sending out (and make the guys working withme do the same). Granted, if I'm on a robbery, malicious wounding, or other high intensity, dangerous call I'm parking wherever I can to get the job done. I can't tell you how many times I've had gun drawn, eyeballing a bank or store which was robbed, one ear on my radio mic, sweating like crazy and some numb-nuts has walked up to me asking "What's wrong?". In those cases I do get a little snappy, but not just because I'm in a bad mood. When lives are at stake I really put aside my image and place all my focus on getting the bad guy. Don't get me wrong, the police do wield a lot of power and some times it goes to their heads ( parking in fire lanes to buy a DVD is a perfect example of what I like to call the 'I Am Da Po-Leece' syndrome) but untill we develope a new system where crime doesn't occur, I think we have to make due with what we've got. I mentioned in a prior post that I wish there were a way to weed out police candidates with low common sense, but again, we have to play with the cards we're dealt.

I bet the second guy you mentioned, in the black SUV, was having a bad day and was exibiting that over-aggressiveness Paper Pusher mentioned. I don't mean to be making excuses (in fact, I apologize for all the stupid things cops do, many of which you all are complaining about) but in the end we are only people too. True, we're people with handcuffs, pepper spray, guns and a knowledge of the law, but we're people none the less. Did he write you a ticket? Give you a business card?

PaperPusher: No worries if you run into me on your way home, I hate writing traffic tickets anyway (hahaha). I've been there when a guy I'm backing up on a traffic stop is being unnecessarily aggresive and, honestly, every time I walk away thinking to myself "What a dip-shit." If we can't at least attempt to be civil, eventually everyone will despise us. We do have discretion when it comes to most anything (domestic violence being the major exception in VA) and we have nothing to gain from writing a citation as opposed to writing a warning. Patrol cops have no set "quotas" in Fairfax (motor cops... well... lets just call that a gray area). As a general rule though, the newer cops are encouraged to be proactive and make more vehicle stops thus, get into more complex cases (you'd be surpised what people have in their cars sometimes).

To everyone who is going to take this opportunity to bash me because of what I do, take a second and think about what the bigger picture is here. Some may call it biased to lump everyone into categories without first seeing who everyone is as a person. We all make mistakes in every aspect of life, and I'd like to take the opportunity in this open forum to help you all better understand us. I'm cool with some joking and general put-downs (I think the parking lot doughnuts video is pretty hilarious by the way - a view many of the more up-tight members of the force don't share), but if we're going to get into the "Pick on him because he represents something we hate" mode, I'll just go away.

Sorry if I grand-standed again, just trying to get my point across.

Posted by: ben ()
Date: September 30, 2005 04:05PM

Lefty McCopper Wrote:
> but if
> we're going to get into the "Pick on him because
> he represents something we hate" mode, I'll just
> go away.
>
> Sorry if I grand-standed again, just trying to get
> my point across.

I don't know that anyone is picking on you. You're reading too much into things.

I don't hate cops. The last cop I had to deal with.. I don't want to say he did me any favors, but he was friendly and reasonable. I was pulled over on my way to work at midnight, with a headlight out and no drivers license (I had run out the door without my wallet). I explained I was a full-time college senior in the middle of finals, trying do deal with a full-time overnight job at the busiest time of the year working 12 hour days. I apologized for not having the time to replace the bulb, which I knew was out. He could have ticketed me for both infractions, which would have resulted in my having to waste a day going to court with my license and a copy of a receipt from autozone to have both tickets dismissed.

He then asked me if I would consent to having my car searched. I declined, being fully prepared to wait for the drug sniffing dogs to arrive. Much to my surprise, he said 'okay', bid me a good night, and left.

I don't remember his name, but I do remember the name of officer douchebag that lied in court about my speed and told the judge if I hadn't pulled over (because he was tailgating me up the hill) then he would have just let me go. It wasn't even worth his time to pull me over, and she still convicted me?

I thought I was doing the right thing, but can you guess if I'm going to have second thoughts the next time I'm being followed by a police officer?

My bad experiences FAR outweigh the good ones, but I still treat police officers with respect until they give me reason to do otherwise. Unfortunately, they usually do give me reason.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 30, 2005 04:11PM

Lefty McCopper,
  is there somewhere (preferably online) where i can get a copy of the "Fairfax County Police SOP (Standard Operating Procedures)." i would also like to know what was in place before this and where i can find it. this information would be useful.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: September 30, 2005 04:45PM

ben: What can I say? I could come out with something like, "At least you don't live in D.C. or P.G...." but that's just ignoring your experiences and putting down agencies in other areas with different circumstances. If the cop did lie in court he committed a crime and lying under oath would definately get him fired (if you can't go into court with the judges ability to believe you, you can't really try people without him assuming you're lying i.e. - you can't try charge people with anything i.e. - what good are you as a cop). Now, about the fact that he was lying: can you proove it beyond a reasonable doubt and could the judge take the cop's testimony as his interpretation of the event compared to yours? Lots of times (though it's probably unfair) a judge will take an oficers word over the defendants (after all, what does the officer have to lose with a not guilty verdict). Granted, sometimes the officers over-inflated ego gets in the way of the real truth, but again, chalk that up to one of the "Bad Apples". There really is no excuse for that kind of behavior and I know my apologies will lose some of their muster if I keep spitting them out but I am sorry people in this position of power have such major errs in judgement.

Gravis: The SOP is a newer document that doesn't have much in the way of protocol yet. The general orders (G.O.'s) were and still are the primary governing document of the department. I'm not certain if the G.O.'s are availible online or not. I know they can be found in libraries though. I'll ask around and see if anyone at work can answer that question.I certainly think they should be and if they're not, I'll bring it up to someone who may be able to remedy that problem. As far as reading material goes though,let me warn you, they're (they as in two, three ring binders full) VERY dry. Good luck finding some leverage in them to wage your personal battles against "the Man" though. Power to the people and all that, hahahahaha

Date: September 30, 2005 04:48PM

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't reading into anything. It was just some preventative whinig to stop any serious, forthcoming trash talk. It's on the way, I can smell it in the air. HAHAHA

Date: September 30, 2005 04:49PM

well lefty, i do understand your position about parking whereever when your on a call. that's different and i would expect you to do whatever it took to find the perpatrator (sp?).

there's no need to apologize for your co-workers and/or any other law enforcement that doesn't respect citizens who are innocent. i appreciate it, but it's unneccessary. yea, that guy that pulled me over, must have had a bad night or something.

BEN:
i'm not picking on lefty. he's just a cop on the board. who else are we going to talk to about this? we know it's not HIM doing or responsible all these things. lefty seems like a cool cat, one of the few FCPD officers that we should have more of.

Date: September 30, 2005 04:53PM

it's like i said in an earlier post, i like lefty! :)

Posted by: ben ()
Date: September 30, 2005 06:53PM

Lefty McCopper Wrote:
> ben: What can I say? I could come out with
> something like, "At least you don't live in D.C.
> or P.G...." but that's just ignoring your
> experiences and putting down agencies in other
> areas with different circumstances. If the cop did
> lie in court he committed a crime and lying under
> oath would definately get him fired (if you can't
> go into court with the judges ability to believe
> you, you can't really try people without him
> assuming you're lying i.e. - you can't try charge
> people with anything i.e. - what good are you as a
> cop). Now, about the fact that he was lying: can
> you proove it beyond a reasonable doubt and could
> the judge take the cop's testimony as his
> interpretation of the event compared to yours?
> Lots of times (though it's probably unfair) a
> judge will take an oficers word over the
> defendants (after all, what does the officer have
> to lose with a not guilty verdict).
Granted,
> sometimes the officers over-inflated ego gets in
> the way of the real truth, but again, chalk that
> up to one of the "Bad Apples". There really is no
> excuse for that kind of behavior and I know my
> apologies will lose some of their muster if I keep
> spitting them out but I am sorry people in this
> position of power have such major errs in
> judgement.
>

Of course I couldn't. Officer douchebag told the judge he 'estimated my speed' at 45 miles per hour (If I remember correctly.) when that was about as far from the truth as possible. Do you know how I know this even though I wasn't looking at my speedometer? I was burning my clutch in first gear just trying to keep my car moving across the flooded out road when I "dangerously blew by him." That translates to 5-10 mph. I showed the judge a picture of the intersection where this happened and explained I would have had to gun my car all the way from the stop sign to the intersection where the officer was sitting with his lights on.

In absolute darkness.

In the pouring rain.

In the thick, impenetrable fog.

With one headlight out.

Knowing the police officer was sitting there.

I'm not that much of an asshat.

My word meant absolutely nothing in that courtroom. The judge even told me that by trying to argue my case I was making things worse for myself. How fucked up is that?

Anyway, I'm not asking for your apologies. I was trying to point out the active members here have legitimate problems with the police that color their perspective. It's not blind hatred.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2005 06:54PM by ben.

Date: September 30, 2005 07:10PM

Damn. That does suck man. I understand that many of the more ignorant comments here are posted by one-timing morons but generally, I think you have to agree, there's more bashing cops here than there is praise (not that I'm suggesting anyone should start a thread entitled "Why I Love Cops" or anything, all the real complaints seem very legitamate). The courtroom is an intimidating place and if anything, judges are more fickle than police when it comes to their views on the law. I give you props for at least attempting to correct a wrong done to you by a short-sighted cop.

Posted by: Economist ()
Date: October 01, 2005 07:32PM

hey Lefty McCopper I see you mentioned that "Now, about the fact that he was lying: can you proove it beyond a reasonable doubt and could the judge take the cop's testimony as his interpretation of the event compared to yours?"

If I do remember correctly, the burden of proof is on YOU!

Posted by: The Economist ()
Date: October 01, 2005 07:46PM

Date: October 02, 2005 11:38AM

Economist: True, the burden of proof is on us in order to get a guilty verdict but like I mentioned earlier, judges tend to take the officers word over the defendants. I guess I used improper jargon but the point I was trying to get across was that in traffic court there is almost never any physical evidence, only testimony and hearsay. Since ben was able to provide evidence that justified what he was doing (pictures of the scene) and he had his interpretation of what happened, I would have put my money on the outcome being different. It all boils down to what kind of day the judge is having, how big their docket is, and sometimes when their tee time is set for.

True story: I was in traffic court, waiting for my two no-show accident cases to be called when a guy was called up to the stand to trial for a speeding ticket. The judge asked how he would like to plea and the guy shrugged and mumbled, "Not guilty." The judge seemed taken aback by this and asked the defendant "Well, what would you do to me if we switched positions?", a truly deep question which the defendant pondered for only a split second before blurting "Let you go?" The judge leaned back in his chair and tilted his head in thought. He then wrote something on the ticket and told the defendant, "You're free to go." The cop seemed a little confused but hey, at least he was done with his docket and on to more important things.

It's all a roll of the dice - what cop pulls you over, what he decides to charge you with, what judge you get when your case comes to court, and on and on. Life's a bitch, huh?

Date: October 03, 2005 02:44PM

Lefty McCopper Wrote:
> It's all a roll of the dice - what cop pulls you
> over, what he decides to charge you with, what
> judge you get when your case comes to court, and
> on and on. Life's a bitch, huh?

i dont think life is the one to blame in such a situation.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: October 06, 2005 04:09AM

We live in Northern Virginia. Just because a vehicle goes flying by you with flashing lights doesn't meen it is a cop car. We have the Secret Service, CIA, FBI, ATF, Dept. of Homeland Security. Just consentrate on the road and DRIVE you traffic jam causing assholes.

Date: October 07, 2005 05:10PM

Chris Wrote:
> We live in Northern Virginia. Just because a
> vehicle goes flying by you with flashing lights
> doesn't meen it is a cop car. We have the Secret
> Service, CIA, FBI, ATF, Dept. of Homeland
> Security. Just consentrate on the road and DRIVE
> you traffic jam causing assholes.

when it has the words "Fairfax County Police" plastered on the side as well as the emblem, it's not any of those others. the traffic jams are by most part cause by poor traffic light coordination and those clowns who have to come to a crawl because they see a cops lights flashing. with a better, smarter traffic light system, it would be much better traffic-wise. what do i suggest? a collective AI that learns and adapts to traffic patterns for various days, times, and occasions. we have the technology but we have asshat politicians that wont cooperate or even understand what AI stands for.

Posted by: Dodge Charger ()
Date: February 08, 2014 03:21PM

Bballr Wrote:
> I've seen the Camaro Cops and read a bunch of the
> posts on them, but I want to warn you all of
> Undercover SUV cops.
>
> White Ford Expeditions! One came flying by me
> with lights on and siren blarring while I was at
> an intersection. Scared the crap out of me, but
> it went by me.
>
> SPEED TRAP! On Fairfax County Parkway, going west
> just past Gambril Road, after going under both
> bridges, the next street on the right. The cops
> hide way back, but they can shoot their guns down
> that hill and nab you. Usually, all black Crown
> Vic. Other times they'll be like two or three
> reg. cops back there. Usually at the end of the
> month so they can get their quota.
>
> And right after that trap and right past the next
> exit on the Parkway, there is usually an empty cop
> car sitting in the median, have yet to see an
> actual cop there.
>
>

Those unmarked dodge chargers are pretty bad ass.

They are fast.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.