HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Herrity Report - Good news for SCMS!
Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: February 11, 2008 09:23PM

I got this in my email box this week and thouht this potion of it was especially good news!

Thanks Pat Herrity and of course, Liz Bradsher!

Working Towards West Springfield High School Renovation and South County Middle School Construction

Two items of concern often brought to my attention as I went door to door before the election were the need for renovation of West Springfield High School (WSHS) and the need for a Middle School for South County.

On January 9th, I was the first Supervisor in recent memory to testify at a Fairfax County Public Schools CIP public hearing and did so in support of both of these projects because I feel the need for them is immediate. Liz Bradsher, the Springfield District School Board member, has been doing outstanding work to bring these projects to fruition sooner than later.

As a 1978 graduate of WSHS, I am concerned about what I've seen and heard regarding the conditions of this legacy school. At this point in time, the school's renovation is not on the FCPS CIP through 2018. I believe the WSHS Community deserves better than this and I am working with the School Board to get this placed on the 2009-2013 CIP.

The construction of a Middle School for South County must start no later than 2012. There is already a current need for this school, and with the imminent surge of new residents, both military and support staff, coming to the area as a result of Base Realignment and Closures (BRAC), construction of a middle school for the area is an absolute necessity. At its January 24 business meeting, the School Board amended the CIP to include the planning of the middle school. The School Board also directed the Superintendent to look into the concept of a "rolling renovation" schedule for several schools, including West Springfield High School.

If you would like to read the testimony I presented on January 9th, visit my website at the following link: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/springfield/pdf_files/fcps_cip_comments_1-9-08.pdf (pdf format).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Herrity Report - Good news for SCMS!
Posted by: disgusted ()
Date: February 11, 2008 09:31PM

So you are happy that Fairfax County sees fit to build an unnecessary middle school at the expense of underenrolled Lake Braddock and Hayfield students? You should be ashamed.

Date: February 11, 2008 09:43PM

I am happy that by showing there is money set aside for the planning of the SCMS, by agreement, there should now not be ANOTHER boundary hearing process.

I am glad for this, for sure!

You know, those opposed are clearly the miority. Herrity and Bradsher wore their positions out in the open. If you did not like them, don't vote for them, right? Simple enough to understand.

Posted by: Dr ()
Date: February 12, 2008 12:34PM

There always has been a tentative plan for SCMS....in 2017. Surely we will have a better estimate in the 20teens about how BRAC really did impact the area instead of just hypotheses and projections. I say wait until Laurel Hill is built. LH, Halley, BF and Lorton should all go to SC. Silverbrook could then all be redistricted to Lake Braddock.

Date: February 12, 2008 03:42PM

Dr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There always has been a tentative plan for
> SCMS....in 2017. Surely we will have a better
> estimate in the 20teens about how BRAC really did
> impact the area instead of just hypotheses and
> projections. I say wait until Laurel Hill is
> built. LH, Halley, BF and Lorton should all go to
> SC. Silverbrook could then all be redistricted to
> Lake Braddock.

Seems the majority of the FC School Bd. does not agree, hence the change in the CIP and drive for funds.

2012 is when we hope this is a reality.

Posted by: GOP ()
Date: February 12, 2008 04:37PM

With all the tax-and spend Democrats on the SB, it is no wonder that there is no regard to fiscal responsibility. I expect no better from them. I am, however, deeply disappointed in our Republicans.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.