HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
R.I.P. Jane Hwang
Posted by: Angel of Mercy ()
Date: November 20, 2011 03:42PM

Fairfax woman killed in Harrisonburg bus crash
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20111118/NEWS/711189666/public-safety-notes&template=fairfaxTimes

Virginia State Police are investigating a pedestrian accident in Harrisonburg that killed an 18-year-old Fairfax woman.

Police said Jane Hwang, a first-year James Madison University student and 2011 W.T. Woodson High School graduate, was struck and killed at 9:52 p.m. Nov. 15 on the campus of the university. The incident involved a bus owned by the city.

The bus driver was identified as a 56-year-old female from Hinton. Police said no charges will be filed against her.

In a press release, police said the primary cause of the accident was “inattention on the part of the pedestrian.”

Police said the intersection was controlled by traffic and crosswalk signals and the bus was making a left turn on a green signal when Hwang entered the crosswalk on a “do not walk” signal and proceeded to cross.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: R.I.P. Jane Hwang
Posted by: Justice for Jane! ()
Date: November 20, 2011 03:55PM

Campus Vigil Honors JMU Student Jane Hwang
Harrisonburg, Va.
Thousands of students came out to a vigil at the Convocation Center Wednesday night to honor and mourn together.
Posted: 12:36 AM Nov 17, 2011
Reporter: Karen Campbell
http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Campus_Vigil_Honors_JMU_Student_Jane_Hwang_134015258.html

The death of a James Madison University student has rocked the campus community.

Thousands of students came out to a vigil at the Convocation Center Wednesday night to honor and mourn together.

Eighteen year old Jane Hwang, a freshman student, died Tuesday night when she was hit by a bus on campus.

Students honored Jane and others who have died this semester.

At one point, students held up glow sticks during a moment of silence.

A large screen displayed facebook images with messages that read 'rest in peace,' and 'we'll miss you.'

Some students shared what they miss about Jane, while others talked about the legacy she is leaving behind.

"I feel like she left a huge part of her with the JMU community, even to those who didn't know her for that long," said Steve Kim, a JMU student who met Jane in May of 2011.

"She just seemed real relaxed, living every day like it's her last. She was just really down to Earth," said Shane McMahan, a JMU student who shared a communications class with Jane.

JMU President Linwood Rose also attended the vigil and spoke to the crowd of students from a podium.

Rose says he didn't know Jane, but wished he would have had the opportunity to present her with her diploma.

The night that Jane died, police say the bus driver had a green light and was turning left.

That's when she hit Hwang.

State police say Hwang was wearing dark clothing, and it appears she wasn't paying attention.

Jane Hwang
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jane-Hwang/178040815618806
Attachments:
312049_179268435496044_178040815618806_344678_2094314526_n.jpg
299786_179241618832059_178040815618806_344651_1006407026_n.jpg

Posted by: Pedestrian ()
Date: November 20, 2011 03:56PM

I am a frequent walker on JMU's campus and Harrisonburg. I always remember that cars, buses, and other vehicles are not on the road looking to yield to me. There's a reason why it's a road. People drive on them. If I walk, I look both ways before crossing. I try to stay on sidewalks. I don't check my facebook status, tweet, or do other dumb things that endager my life. Perhaps instead of mourning a needless death, JMU should spend their time teaching students how and when to cross the street! Not trying to sound obnoxious, but come on! You can't see a bus coming? Wow. I hate more than anything that this makes the news. I feel more sorry for the bus driver who has to live with the fact that he killed someone, even though this student obviously had no business being allowed out of mom and dad's house till they taught her how to cross the street. Shocking, and at the same time, the issue of pedestrian right of way should be addressed. Cars drive on roads, people walk on sidewalks

Posted by: hmmmm ()
Date: November 20, 2011 03:56PM

"In a press release, police said the primary cause of the accident was “inattention on the part of the pedestrian.”

Police said the intersection was controlled by traffic and crosswalk signals and the bus was making a left turn on a green signal when Hwang entered the crosswalk on a “do not walk” signal and proceeded to cross."

Case closed.

Posted by: Blam ()
Date: November 20, 2011 03:57PM

Why is your name Justice for Jane? It was her fault.

She is worm food now.

--------------------------------------
DAMN!

Posted by: kiddingme ()
Date: November 20, 2011 03:59PM

I can't imagine someone like this would be super clueless, therefore it wouldn't surprise me if she was texting or looking at something on her cellphone.

Posted by: Justice for Jane! ()
Date: November 20, 2011 04:02PM

Blam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is your name Justice for Jane? It was her
> fault.
>
> She is worm food now.

Because I still think the bus driver should have been cited for something, but yes you are right Jane wasn't watching where she was going. Its just a real shame.

Posted by: uhhoops ()
Date: November 20, 2011 04:11PM

"HWANG ","JANE "," ","057"," 7362","STREAM BLUFF ","WY","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","09/04/2005","FAIL OBEY HWY SIGN "

"HWANG ","JANE ","Y","059"," 7362","STREAM BLUFF ","WY","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","07/02/2007","HOV VIOLATION "

Looks like Ms. Hwang has a problem reading visual clues.

Posted by: Blam ()
Date: November 20, 2011 04:16PM

That says the age of that person is 57, and then 2 years later, by some ODD COINCIDENCE, she is 59 years old.

I'd think that's a different Jane.

--------------------------------------
DAMN!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2011 04:18PM by Blam.

Posted by: Clueless ()
Date: November 20, 2011 06:07PM

Wow. A girl of Asian decent at a third rate school. Sad all around.

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: November 20, 2011 06:33PM

Justice would be citing her for jaywalking but, you know.

Date: November 20, 2011 06:37PM

Aden O'Donoghue
Rest in Peace Jane. All those good boring times on the bus and you stealing a branch off my tree for your science project...We all miss you. RIP

wow..why mention a bus?! stupid kid

Posted by: Mr. Insensitive ()
Date: November 20, 2011 07:44PM

Look out for dat bus!!!
Attachments:
finaldestination-bus2.gif

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: November 20, 2011 08:02PM

Why did she die accidentally when those that jump intentionally in front of metro trains live?

The suicidal ones are doing it wrong.

Posted by: Herro ()
Date: November 21, 2011 07:07AM

Attachments:
funny asian.bmp

Posted by: woodson = death ()
Date: October 08, 2012 07:22PM

sad very sad

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.