HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Va State Senate approved a ban on smoking in most public buildings in Virginia.
Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: February 06, 2008 12:46PM

RICHMOND, Va. -- The state Senate has approved a ban on smoking in most public buildings in Virginia.

Sen. Mary Margaret Whipple's bill cleared the Senate on a 23-15 vote Tuesday. It now goes to the House, which has its own smoking restriction proposals still pending in committee.

The Senate also passed more narrow restrictions in case Whipple's bill doesn't survive. One would ban smoking in restaurants and bars, and another would allow localities to enact their own smoking bans.

Whipple said her bill addresses a serious health issue. Opponents objected to a provision that allows local governments to pass restrictions tougher than those imposed by the state. They said that could lead to a ban on smoking in private homes and cars.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Va State Senate approved a ban on smoking in most public buildings in Virginia.
Posted by: Rod ()
Date: February 06, 2008 02:21PM

As only a ex smoker can say, Good riddance! Now I can go back in bars., or soon.

Re: Va State Senate approved a ban on smoking in most public buildings in Virginia.
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 06, 2008 02:38PM

look, i dont give a damn if people want to slowly kill themselves and bitch about not having a cure for cancer when they get lung cancer. what i do give a damn is when i come home from a restaurant and smell like smoke. if there was a strait up public ban on smoking, would it be a bad thing? if you smoke, you are already a retard so feel free to be fined for it on every occasion.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: CFVEx ()
Date: February 06, 2008 02:48PM

its about time

Posted by: Gravis. ()
Date: February 06, 2008 03:00PM

I just hate smoking...sucking on cancer sticks is so stupid.....Id rather suck on man sticks

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: February 06, 2008 03:32PM

Wasn't she married to Whipple? I bet she squeezed his charmin

Posted by: anagogue ()
Date: February 06, 2008 10:27PM

It'll be a sad day when Virginia joins the likes of DC and MD. Virginia was founded on tobacco. Oh, and on freedom. If people don't want smokers in their places of business, let them decide that on their own.

Posted by: pmn ()
Date: February 08, 2008 08:18AM

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/02/lawmakers-douse-all-bills-ban-smoking-public

Lawmakers douse all bills that ban smoking in public

Posted by: Sgt. Hulka ()
Date: February 08, 2008 08:00PM

pmn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://hamptonroads.com/2008/02/lawmakers-douse-al
> l-bills-ban-smoking-public
>
> Lawmakers douse all bills that ban smoking in
> public

Nice, this means each individual establishment may still choose.

One of my friendiler bars just went non smoking, I don't go there anymore.

But at the same time I understand a need for smoking AND non-smoking establishments.

Looks like private clubs will soon be prevalent in VA.

Date: February 09, 2008 09:14AM

anagogue Wrote:
> It'll be a sad day when Virginia joins the likes
> of DC and MD. Virginia was founded on tobacco. Oh,
> and on freedom. If people don't want smokers in
> their places of business, let them decide that on
> their own.

look, just because you are yet another dumbass who is addicted to cigarettes, doesnt mean you have to ruin restraints for everyone else. if you really must insist that this is unfair, please increase the rate at which you smoke so that you will die sooner.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: February 09, 2008 02:54PM

Don't forget Phillip Morris USA is headquartered in Richmond and employs a lot of people in this state. I believe this state is till the third largest tobacco growing state as well after North Carolina and Kentucky. I imagine these three states will probably be the last if ever to ban smoking in public areas.

Posted by: anagogue ()
Date: February 09, 2008 03:42PM

I do not smoke. I simply think people who own businesses should be able to run them more or less as they see fit. If a restaurant owner wants to ban smoking in his establishment, I'm all for it. If a bar owner wishes to allow smoking in his, I'm all for that, too. Nobody is making you go to a smoky establishment if you don't want to.

Posted by: j3rown ()
Date: February 10, 2008 11:55PM

anagogue Wrote:
> I do not smoke. I simply think people who own
> businesses should be able to run them more or less
> as they see fit. If a restaurant owner wants to
> ban smoking in his establishment, I'm all for it.
> If a bar owner wishes to allow smoking in his, I'm
> all for that, too. Nobody is making you go to a
> smoky establishment if you don't want to.

Yeah man. It is a right a business owner has to decide whether or not they want to accomodate smokers in their place of employment. Many restaurants in Virginia and it's surrounding areas went non-smoking and soon after that sales in those restaurants went up. It's not like there aren't any smoke-free environments in Virginia as it is. Honestly, this should be a subject dealt with in local governments. In some areas (especially further south like Richmond) you find that there are a lot more smokers than in the northern regions...so what's stopping a city from passing an ordinance that would accomplish the same thing instead of a statewide ban?

Date: February 11, 2008 01:38PM

j3rown Wrote:
> Yeah man. It is a right a business owner has to
> decide whether or not they want to accomodate
> smokers in their place of employment.

hahahahaha! yeah, where are the rights of businesses written in the constitution? perhaps site a law? that's right, you are just wrong. "[this] is the future, deal with it" - Microsoft

> It's not like there
> aren't any smoke-free environments in Virginia as
> it is.

well apparently they arent any of the places i go.

> Honestly, this should be a subject dealt
> with in local governments.

but it's not.

> In some areas
> (especially further south like Richmond) you find
> that there are a lot more smokers than in the
> northern regions...

who gives a shit about them? havent they taken enough money from us already? let's just call this a bit of payback.

> so what's stopping a city from
> passing an ordinance that would accomplish the
> same thing instead of a statewide ban?

nothing. :)

Posted by: j3rown ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:49AM

I lose.

Date: February 13, 2008 02:19AM

Oh good, fewer liberties in VA. Why not ban drinking alcohol, eating red meat, and talking on cell phones in public while you're at it? Im allergic to smoke and cant stand the smell, but if there is so much demand for smoke free environments, why havent more restaurants than just Outback gotten rid of the smoking before now?

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: February 13, 2008 07:46AM

Gravis Wrote:
> look, i dont give a damn if people want to slowly
> kill themselves and bitch about not having a cure
> for cancer when they get lung cancer. what i do
> give a damn is when i come home from a restaurant
> and smell like smoke. if there was a strait up
> public ban on smoking, would it be a bad thing?
> if you smoke, you are already a retard so feel
> free to be fined for it on every occasion.

Most mentally challenged persons do not smoke....bad comparison!

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: February 13, 2008 09:11AM

boristhebulletdodger Wrote:
> Oh good, fewer liberties in VA. Why not ban
> drinking alcohol, eating red meat, and talking on
> cell phones in public while you're at it? Im
> allergic to smoke and cant stand the smell, but if
> there is so much demand for smoke free
> environments, why havent more restaurants than
> just Outback gotten rid of the smoking before now?

I have to agree, next the Church ladies will enforce what women can wear and ban alcohol in restaraunts and bars.

Date: February 13, 2008 09:25AM

anagogue Wrote:
> I do not smoke. I simply think people who own
> businesses should be able to run them more or less
> as they see fit. If a restaurant owner wants to
> ban smoking in his establishment, I'm all for it.
> If a bar owner wishes to allow smoking in his, I'm
> all for that, too. Nobody is making you go to a
> smoky establishment if you don't want to.

Does this same logic apply to offices and other locations we have come to expect non-smoking accomodation? The fact is a restaurant is not a "private" business..it is the business of serving the public...the public in the form of it's duely elected officials have the right to regulate the public aspects of that business.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 13, 2008 09:35AM

Vince wrote:
> The fact is a restaurant is not a "private" business..it is the business of serving the public...

It is a private business serving private citizens that choose to enter the establishment.

I dine out quite a bit and I absolutely hate being around cigarette or cigar smoke while I am eating. Guess which places I don't go to?

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: February 13, 2008 09:40AM

Cool! Now there will be more oif this!
Attachments:
_44084707_painful.jpg

Date: February 13, 2008 04:29PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Vince wrote:
> > The fact is a restaurant is not a "private"
> business..it is the business of serving the
> public...
>
> It is a private business serving private citizens
> that choose to enter the establishment.
>
> I dine out quite a bit and I absolutely hate being
> around cigarette or cigar smoke while I am eating.
> Guess which places I don't go to?

No it isnt...it holds itself open to the public and as such public welfare needs to be accomodated.

Date: February 13, 2008 08:37PM

496 Wrote:
> Cool! Now there will be more oif this!

eww.

Posted by: Dead in the house ()
Date: February 15, 2008 10:21AM

RICHMOND, Feb. 14 -- The Virginia House of Delegates defeated several proposals Thursday to prohibit smoking in restaurants, stores, offices and other public places, effectively killing all anti-smoking legislation for this year's General Assembly session.

Date: February 15, 2008 07:15PM

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

chain smoking bastards!

Posted by: Rowsdower ()
Date: February 15, 2008 08:01PM

Why can't the free market solve this question?

If a business wants to cater to smokers, then smokers can go there. Non-smokers can go to an establishment that markets a smoke free environment.

If no one wants to smoke and eat at the same time the place will go out of business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 08:18PM by Rowsdower.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 15, 2008 08:11PM

Rowsdower Wrote:
> Why can't the free market solve this question?

Because then the terrorists would hate us for our freedom. ;p

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.