HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Curiousity ()
Date: November 19, 2011 12:55AM

Is George Mason University awesome or does it suck? Why or why not? Is it even worthwhile applying to?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Sucks ()
Date: November 19, 2011 01:04AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: It's True ()
Date: November 19, 2011 08:42AM

I wouldn't listen to bitchy websites written by people who had experience at that school. Everyone I know that went to Mason is doing rather well with themselves at this point in time.

Unless you "go greek" (I want to shoot myself just for typing that) there isn't much of a party scene there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: blows ()
Date: November 19, 2011 09:10AM

GMU blows. Good luck finding anyone there with an IQ over 100.
spacer84.gif

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: wahoo ()
Date: November 19, 2011 09:16AM

Curiousity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is George Mason University awesome or does it
> suck? Why or why not? Is it even worthwhile
> applying to?

It's better than community college. If you graduate from GMU you should be able to get some kind of job. The world needs 65k per year cubicle flunkies too!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: LanEvo ()
Date: November 19, 2011 09:50AM

Sucks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html
> ?page=47&type=&d_school=George%20Mason%20Universit
> y

Most of the negative posts are because of the "lack of social scene" on campus. Who gives a shit? There's plenty of places to drink and socialize elsewhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: wait, what?! ()
Date: November 19, 2011 12:52PM

Overall, the Mason education rating on that site is a B, same as GWU, VT and JMU, higher than VCU, slightly lower than UVa.

Great quality for the tuition spent if you're an in-state resident.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Rate ()
Date: November 19, 2011 02:23PM

Peak: UVA, VT, VCU, Northern Virginia Community College.

Valley: GMU, University of Northern Virginia, CIA= Culinary Institute of America, Westwood College.

End of discussion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Continue curiosity ()
Date: November 19, 2011 03:26PM

Awesome: Extolling the Peaks.

Sucks: trolling deleterious valleys.

Your choice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Mr. Merteh ()
Date: November 19, 2011 03:45PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mason_University

It's not that bad of a school. Some alums have done very well after leaving GMU.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Greg ()
Date: November 19, 2011 04:07PM

I'm a current IT student at Mason and am graduating in May so I have a pretty good idea on how the school stands right now. George Mason has a very apparent 'recruit 'em and forget 'em mindset. After being accepted into the university you have advisors from every department emailing you and calling you asking questions and helping you prepare for classes. After the first semester, they want nothing to do with you and you're lucky if they will respond to an email or show up to an appointment with you. Mason is too big for its own good and it shows with how the university is run. Admissions standards are way too high, it is the most expensive public university in Virginia to attend as a general student (not law, medical, engineering) and once you are no longer a freshman the only thing they care about is your tuition money. I don't really recommend George Mason unless you plan to do the law or management program, those are great programs and they actually appear to care about the students through the whole process. The engineering and IT program? They won't even point you in the direction of the parking lot if you asked them they have their heads so high in the clouds.

On the social side of things there are some valid complaints. Mason is in a constant battle with greek life because they don't want to become a 'real college' with a greek row and the like. I am not involved with a frat but if they really want to put themselves on the map they need to accommodate greek life as that is a huge deal for many college students. Also, if they allow students to party on campus it will reduce the # of DUI's and campus security can assist in keeping students safer. In terms of social events there are plenty of events and plenty of places to go to socialize, I think people complain for the sake of complaining on that.

We've all heard about the issues with Mason Police and they seem to be trying to get their act together as the University now emails all of the students a survey asking for opinions on Mason Police so hopefully there will be some changes.

The only complaint outside of the way the IT program handles students is that if George Mason University wants to be as big as they think they are they need to get a football team. They seem so concerned about their image and how much money is coming in it seems like a no-brainer, but that's just my 2 cents.

Sorry for the wall of text but I thought I would cover everything and then let everyone attack as they see fit.

P.S. Parking sucks on Mason and the parking department could really care less.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: not really ()
Date: November 19, 2011 04:22PM

Greg Wrote:

>
> We've all heard about the issues with Mason Police
> and they seem to be trying to get their act
> together as the University now emails all of the
> students a survey asking for opinions on Mason
> Police so hopefully there will be some changes.
>



The mason police dont do anything that other agencies wouldnt do. Of course college kids that want to party, use drugs, and drink underage are going to hate the police force on campus. especially when the school is located in a safe area and they dont feel they need them to stay safe.

And no they dont send emails to all of the students they hand pick students that will have negative views of the police so that they can get the results they want. I nor anyone I know ever got that email. If you dont break the law or act stupid when youre drunk ect you will never encounter them

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: theShadowToo ()
Date: November 19, 2011 05:25PM

not really wrote:

>If you dont break the law or act stupid when youre
>drunk ect you will never encounter them

While this happened over 20 years ago and things may have changed since then, I interacted with a Mason police officer after acting stupid and breaking the law while drunk. I was given a verbal warning b/c I was a polite drunk vs. being a mouthy asshole looking to impress my friends.

The infraction? Pissing in public (it was in the middle of the night in K lot)
The stupidity? Handing the officer my license w/ a picture of David Letterman taped over my picture. (Or maybe that was what turned the ticket into a warning.)

As for the topic of conversation, it appears little has changed since I was at Mason. It felt like a commuter college b/c so many people lived off campus and the social scene was limited unless you got involved in a club (fraternity, athletics, community, whatever). There was also the argument that Mason needed a football team in order to become a "real" university.

From what I've read on responses above, it seems that little has changed except for the size of campus...it's grown by leaps and bounds in the past 20 years.

To answer the question on whether it's awesome or it sucks: It will be what you make it to be. But you'll find that on any college campus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: boyah kasha ()
Date: November 20, 2011 02:20PM

Greg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a current IT student at Mason and am
> graduating in May so I have a pretty good idea on
> how the school stands right now. George Mason has
> a very apparent 'recruit 'em and forget 'em
> mindset. After being accepted into the university
> you have advisors from every department emailing
> you and calling you asking questions and helping
> you prepare for classes. After the first semester,
> they want nothing to do with you and you're lucky
> if they will respond to an email or show up to an
> appointment with you. Mason is too big for its own
> good and it shows with how the university is run.
> Admissions standards are way too high, it is the
> most expensive public university in Virginia to
> attend as a general student (not law, medical,
> engineering) and once you are no longer a freshman
> the only thing they care about is your tuition
> money. I don't really recommend George Mason
> unless you plan to do the law or management
> program, those are great programs and they
> actually appear to care about the students through
> the whole process. The engineering and IT program?
> They won't even point you in the direction of the
> parking lot if you asked them they have their
> heads so high in the clouds.
>
> On the social side of things there are some valid
> complaints. Mason is in a constant battle with
> greek life because they don't want to become a
> 'real college' with a greek row and the like. I am
> not involved with a frat but if they really want
> to put themselves on the map they need to
> accommodate greek life as that is a huge deal for
> many college students. Also, if they allow
> students to party on campus it will reduce the #
> of DUI's and campus security can assist in keeping
> students safer. In terms of social events there
> are plenty of events and plenty of places to go to
> socialize, I think people complain for the sake of
> complaining on that.
>
> We've all heard about the issues with Mason Police
> and they seem to be trying to get their act
> together as the University now emails all of the
> students a survey asking for opinions on Mason
> Police so hopefully there will be some changes.
>
> The only complaint outside of the way the IT
> program handles students is that if George Mason
> University wants to be as big as they think they
> are they need to get a football team. They seem so
> concerned about their image and how much money is
> coming in it seems like a no-brainer, but that's
> just my 2 cents.
>
> Sorry for the wall of text but I thought I would
> cover everything and then let everyone attack as
> they see fit.
>
> P.S. Parking sucks on Mason and the parking
> department could really care less.


A football team? Thats fucking stupid, academics is the most important thing, we idolize stupid sports too much, no wonder america has fallen behind. I am GLAD that money doesnt go into some stupid ass football team.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: boyah kasha ()
Date: November 20, 2011 02:21PM

George Mason is considered better and hard to get into than JMU. Shocking I know, but that's what has happened over the last 5 years. It is a tad lower than Tech but not that far from it. The only thing is that socially it sucks compared to JMU but are you going to college to get high and drunk or to learn? I am thinking for most retarded americans it's #1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Stupidplpl ()
Date: November 20, 2011 02:47PM

GMU is better than JMU, much better than VCU, slightly (very) worse than VT, not as good as UVA, which is worse than William and Mary. Not hard to figure this out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: whatevah ()
Date: November 20, 2011 05:53PM

Greg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it is the
> most expensive public university in Virginia to
> attend as a general student (not law, medical,
> engineering) and once you are no longer a freshman
> the only thing they care about is your tuition
> money.

You're not too bright, are you? In-state tuition and fees are higher at Tech, W&M and UVa. While I haven't looked lately, maybe also at VCU - after their 24% increase.

I'm thinking you got in over your head in VSE, which is why you have sour grapes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: eh ()
Date: November 20, 2011 06:22PM

whatevah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > it is the
> > most expensive public university in Virginia to
> > attend as a general student (not law, medical,
> > engineering) and once you are no longer a
> freshman
> > the only thing they care about is your tuition
> > money.
>
> You're not too bright, are you? In-state tuition
> and fees are higher at Tech, W&M and UVa. While I
> haven't looked lately, maybe also at VCU - after
> their 24% increase.
>
> I'm thinking you got in over your head in VSE,
> which is why you have sour grapes.


Hes pretty spot on about the money. Good school but a lot of the teachers could care less and just teach because they have too to even though they just want to do their own research. As far as money im pretty sure he ment all costs included which could be true as there are a lot of extra fees but not sure how much they are at other schools

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Jazzy Juice ()
Date: November 21, 2011 07:12PM

I'm a mason alum - the university is better today than it was when I graduated (mid - 90s). While it will always be a commuter school it is getting more of an on campus life. the 2006 Final Four run helped with the "college atomosphere" as has the increase in student housing. I always thought the school could stand to use a couple of frat houses (either on University Drive or in Masonville) - a las conservative FFX County/City would never approve. As far as the education goes - I know a lot of folks who graduated from Mason who are doing well for themselves - much better than the local annual average income.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Kelsey ()
Date: January 04, 2014 08:42PM

I disagree completely that the reason why many do not approve of GMU due to the lack of a social scene. For a fairly new school, it looks quite run down, like they forgot to maintain it for a few years. When I went on a tour there, the tour guide had no idea what he was talking about and even answered his phone in the middle of the tour. It sent the message that I should not take the school seriously. It may have really good internship opportunities, but the overall vibe of the school is not impressive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: huh?? ()
Date: January 04, 2014 09:11PM

Jazzy Juice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
(either on University Drive or in Masonville)



I went to Mason and have no idea where Masonville is...can you tell me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Masonite ()
Date: January 04, 2014 10:03PM

I think he meant Masonvale, the new housing area just east of campus between Patriot Circle and Roberts Road. They have a website, http://www.masonvale.com .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Not Alan Mertin ()
Date: January 04, 2014 11:50PM

It's fabulous if you want to go deep in debt & never graduate!!

Only 26% of full time freshman graduate in 4 years.

For the other 74%, start making those loan payments for nothing now kids.

Just like most Va. public colleges, GMU is a racket run to give the inmates of the bloated administrative bureaucracy six figure salaries and other perks for doing mostly nothing to advance the education of any student.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: TCKNk ()
Date: January 04, 2014 11:57PM

your not going to get any straight answers here.

go see the school and talk to people in the program you want to take.

get the fuck off the internet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Liberal Logic 35 ()
Date: January 05, 2014 12:03AM

Not Alan Mertin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's fabulous if you want to go deep in debt &
> never graduate!!
>
> Only 26% of full time freshman graduate in 4
> years.

Which is only slightly below the national average. Most people dont graduate in 4 years anymore

> For the other 74%, start making those loan
> payments for nothing now kids.

You know that doesnt mean they didnt graduate just because they didnt do it in 4 years right?

> Just like most Va. public colleges, GMU is a
> racket run to give the inmates of the bloated
> administrative bureaucracy six figure salaries and
> other perks for doing mostly nothing to advance
> the education of any student.

That true of colleges and academia in general. Its all what you make of it and depends what program youre in. Its not an awesome school its not a shitty school. Its a pretty good school that beats paying 40k a year to go somewhere else like GW.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: TravisC ()
Date: June 18, 2019 12:40AM

It sucks. Don't go. You're just another face in the crowd, and they honestly don't care about you. The only reason I'm still here is because I want my degree. The campus life sucks (which is what motivates most people to either go to college or stay in college), the people are either idiots or asshats (it's Northern Virginia, full of high-and-mighty fuckheads), and they're riding on the glory of a Final Four victory so long ago I was seven when it happened (and I'm in my twenties now). I can't even go to fucking church on Sundays because all the groups on campus are like a fucking cult.
If you want to be an engineer, go to Virginia Tech. It's more expensive, but the professors and professionals you'll meet during and after your education will respect you more than if you came here. Hell, YOU will respect YOU more if you choose another school, and you'll be able to enjoy yourself more.
These are supposed to be the best years of your life. Yes, you're probably at school to earn a degree. Go to class, and do your best work. But if you're unhappy, and you feel like shit constantly, much like myself, then you need to make a change, whether that may be in you or your university.

PS-- And the Greek Life here does suck... STILL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Mason=shit school ()
Date: June 18, 2019 01:06AM

Mason is for uber drivers!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Smart ()
Date: June 18, 2019 03:05AM

Go to Mason, first go to nova then transfer over to GMU. Thats what I did and now have a good paying job/no student loans. Listen to the above ^ post if you wanna end up in debt. Also, in regards to the post said about being RESPECTED by going to Virginia Tech...........LOL. I work with UVA/Vtech/William & Mary Grads, and we all make the same pay. When your in the real world, companies care about your work experience first, and your degree second.The best years of my life involves not paying back student loans. Majority of people graduate college in their 20's , so when your finished with school, you still have many great years ahead of you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Mason=zombie intellects ()
Date: June 18, 2019 07:06AM

Too many sandniggers at mason.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Grig ()
Date: June 18, 2019 11:10AM

Hello! Unambiguous answer in solving such complex issues as writing a thesis is it possible with the involvement of professionals, such as perfectessay.com naturally, everything will depend on your requirements and the skills of an expert who will take up this difficult task.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Real Student ()
Date: June 18, 2019 01:37PM

I'm a current student at Mason and I'll try to be as helpful as possible. First if your main focus is to get a decent paying job after graduation, then GMU is a great choice. That's assuming you do a worthwhile major such as, IT, ISOM, Finance, Accounting, Engineering, CS, etc.) Now if you go in and do any form of liberal arts major, you're gonna have a bad time (Mr Mackey voice). This is true for almost any major University. Secondly, there are so many people to meet and mingle with. I'm in the school of Business and i've met a lot of cool people. Additionally, the women here as gorgeous (not all of of course). Assuming you're a half decently looking guy, it's fairly easy to slay. That is assuming you're not autistic. I've always noticed that they guys that want to get into the 'greek life' are all the autistic losers that think it'll be their one way to ticket to unlimited pussy. I've enjoyed my time here at Mason and have made lots of great friends. I'm beginning an internship with on the Big 4 firms and if all goes well I plan on coming on board full time post grad. Don't listen to anyone that says Mason isn't a good school, I was hesitant at first too, but in the end I feel like I made an excellent decision. I know I might sound bias but i'm as pessimistic as it gets. Good luck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: LibraPay ()
Date: June 18, 2019 06:19PM

One who cums to ffxu for a ruling on gmu obviously wouldn't pass admissions anyway, so why are we entertaining this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: =/=/=/=/ ()
Date: June 18, 2019 09:58PM

Real Student Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a current student at Mason and I'll try to be
> as helpful as possible. First if your main focus
> is to get a decent paying job after graduation,
> then GMU is a great choice. That's assuming you do
> a worthwhile major such as, IT, ISOM, Finance,
> Accounting, Engineering, CS, etc.) Now if you go
> in and do any form of liberal arts major, you're
> gonna have a bad time (Mr Mackey voice). This is
> true for almost any major University. Secondly,
> there are so many people to meet and mingle with.
> I'm in the school of Business and i've met a lot
> of cool people. Additionally, the women here as
> gorgeous (not all of of course). Assuming you're a
> half decently looking guy, it's fairly easy to
> slay. That is assuming you're not autistic. I've
> always noticed that they guys that want to get
> into the 'greek life' are all the autistic losers
> that think it'll be their one way to ticket to
> unlimited pussy. I've enjoyed my time here at
> Mason and have made lots of great friends. I'm
> beginning an internship with on the Big 4 firms
> and if all goes well I plan on coming on board
> full time post grad. Don't listen to anyone that
> says Mason isn't a good school, I was hesitant at
> first too, but in the end I feel like I made an
> excellent decision. I know I might sound bias but
> i'm as pessimistic as it gets. Good luck


I totally understand that you are NOT an English major.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Real GMU Student ()
Date: November 29, 2019 05:43PM

>GMU Sucks
- Currently Political science major in PPE
- Changed from Econ degree
- I can barely understand my statistics teacher, she has a horrible speech impediment, pretty sure
- No Social life
- professors outside Econ department are horrible, especially math and stats department.
-basically an overblown commuter school that has the advantage of being close to DC.
- have not learned a thing from my classes, professors make classes boring as hell.

-10/10 would not recommend

- If you can get into W&M or UVA or CNU or literally any other Virginia school

> side note, this post does not apply to CS majors, I have never taken a CS class.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Tim Kanye wifey ()
Date: November 30, 2019 09:16AM

Jeeez, when did JMU go down the shitter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Libtards are a disease ()
Date: November 30, 2019 09:59AM

Tim Kanye wifey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Jeeez, when did JMU go down the shitter?




JMU went to complete hell when they allowed libtarded commie professors to teach there. I have a friend who’s son went there a few years back, and he had these stories of the professors there telling the students to “not move out of your parents house”, “live there as long as you can”, “let your parents pay for everything”.

The other one I love was “Don't ever get car insurance”. “Let someone else pay for the damages”.



Wow. Democratic commies are truly the enemy of civilization.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: Toney ()
Date: November 30, 2019 06:32PM

To that idiot saying employers look at experience first hasnt really made it.

Experience is important but don't talk like you know. Theres a reason prestigious school grads command better salaries and are highly recruited for even better positions for the duration of ones career. At the very least all things being equal for early career folks, the better school candidate gets it.

Btw GMU is slightly above NVCC and about the same as JMU, except GMU students dont really get to experience college life as intended.

And that idiot saying UVa is lower than W&M...so lame.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University: Awesome or Sucks?
Posted by: UVA pussy ()
Date: November 30, 2019 09:27PM

UVA has the best pussy in Virginia.
The only other east coast school better than c’ville poon is UNC chapel hill.
Mason pussy is subpar like meeting a smelly gook at h-mart.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **     **  **    **   ******    **     **  ********  
 **     **  **   **   **    **   **     **  **     ** 
 **     **  **  **    **         **     **  **     ** 
 **     **  *****     **   ****  *********  ********  
  **   **   **  **    **    **   **     **  **        
   ** **    **   **   **    **   **     **  **        
    ***     **    **   ******    **     **  **        
This forum powered by Phorum.