HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What cellphone companies are best?
Posted by: sarah54 ()
Date: February 03, 2008 06:21PM

Hello, I just moved into the area. I need to get a cellular phone, and I was wondering which companies are best in this region? I want one with a good service area and decent prices.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What cellphone companies are best?
Posted by: Serg ()
Date: February 03, 2008 06:23PM

Just spent $350 in terminating fees for Cingular to switch to Verizon. Am much happier with the coverage though they don't do rollover. Verizon has the best coverage around.

Posted by: Wrinkle ()
Date: February 03, 2008 07:28PM

All cell phone companies are a bunch of morons and thieves, in case you hadn't realized. That said, we've had Verizon for a few years and pretty much despise them but don't see a better alternative. First off, be warned that with Verizon their customer service is appalling. Second, they offer great phones at good prices but what they don't tell you is that they lock up all of the best features of the phones and make you pay for the privilege of using them. You need to hack your phone (seam edits) to unlock them, but that voids the warranty (with is pretty much worthless w/ Verizon anyway). For example, had to hack my RazrV3 so I could transfer my pictures to my computer without paying Verizon for the honor. $%#%$#!! Oh, and they'll probably give your call records to the Government, but then AT&T do that anyway. In terms of coverage, however, they're pretty good -- it's about the only complaint I can't make about them.

Posted by: native ()
Date: February 03, 2008 07:43PM

T-Mobile Flex pay. No contract , no bullshit fees. You pick whatever plan you want and just pay a month in advance and you can stop the plan anytime without any fees. Go Pats!!!

Posted by: Peanuts ()
Date: February 03, 2008 07:48PM

T-mobiles coverage stinks.

I just went from Verizon to ATT and so far I seem to get better service with ATT.

Posted by: Steve K ()
Date: February 03, 2008 08:01PM

If you don't use it that much, go with Net 10, no plans, no bs, just 10 cents a minute, and you only have to put in 30 dollars every 2 monthes unless you use it more. But no roaming or any going over fees, its the most simple thing out there. GO GIANTS

Posted by: ... ()
Date: February 03, 2008 08:09PM

AT&T

Go Tom Petty.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: February 03, 2008 08:12PM

Years ago, I had Cellular One (between 1990 and 1995) and you want to talk about EXPENSIVE!!!!!! But they had the coverage, period.

Now I have Verizon Wireless and could not be happier!

I have used Verizon cell phones now since around 2001 and have been overwhelmed with the quality of the calls and the fact I rarely drop a call (the Hooes rd. dip between 7100 and S.Brook used to be one place, not anymore).

My bill is reasonable and I have talked from Virginia to Connecticut without dropping a call, talking for probably 5 of the 6 hours of drive-time.

The phone works and had has worked everywhere I have ever needed it, including the desert between Palm Springs and Scottsdale a few weeks ago with about a 10 mile exception where it got spotty - no kidding, on that one!

Some of my neighbors have other providers and claim they cannot get a signal in their house. That would frustrate me to no end...

Posted by: sprint ()
Date: February 04, 2008 12:11AM

Sprint seems fine for me... Virgin Mobile uses the same network.

Posted by: MetroUser? ()
Date: February 04, 2008 12:14AM

Verizon has cell transmitters in the underground metro stations. Sprint will roam on their network so if you get the free roaming plan, you'll be fine. Something to consider if you'll be riding the subway a lot.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 04, 2008 03:13AM

WE switched to Verizon last year and it's been great. No complaints at all.

Posted by: chihuahuamom ()
Date: February 04, 2008 06:18AM

Been using t-mobile now for 7 yrs and love them. I think they are the only company now that still offers a one year contract rather than getting locked into a two yr. Which means that every 10 months you can upgrade your phone and not get stuck with a phone you might hate for two yrs. I lowered my monthly min package and switched to the the Fav 5 plan and its saved me a tremendous amount of money. Myself and all four of my kids have it and it works out well.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: February 04, 2008 07:41PM

If you want easy upgrade of phones - go with GSM, ie ATT or Tmobile.

If you want to extend your contract every time you want a new phone - verizon is for you.

I am on verizon, they are fine, but rather expensive I think.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: February 04, 2008 07:46PM

I use a Verizon pre-pay, INpulse, I think they call it. No contracts and no bills.

Posted by: Ghostface Killah ()
Date: February 04, 2008 10:11PM

I use Verizon. The coverage is good, but I don't know about the phones. My friends with At&t can basically just use any GSM phone, just switching SIM cards. That seems a lot better than using Verizon phones and having to call if you want to switch to a spare phone. I'd rather have that arrangement, but I'm afraid of losing coverage. With Verizon you can still get analog coverage if your phone has it.

Posted by: ladymacb29 ()
Date: February 09, 2008 02:29PM

I've been using AT&T/Cingular since I moved here. Just get a good phone that has good signal (check online for reviews) and you'll never have a problem. (Mine always has at least 3 bars in the house and my husband doesn't get a signal, both of us have AT&T ;).

AT&T is the cheapest I found, I think...

Posted by: Don ()
Date: February 11, 2008 01:07PM

I hate Verizon Wireless. However, I've been using them for the last 10 years.
The reason is that Verzion is the only cellular carrier that has a signal within
a half mile radius of my house. (northern part of the county)

Had Cingular/AT&T/T-Mobile... can't get a signal from those guys here.
(just tried again last month with friend's phones)

I prefer GSM phones, but Verizon uses CDMA.

Oh well... in the end, I care more about signal quality than anything else///

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:33AM

Don... in the northern part of the county... hmmm

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: February 12, 2008 07:52AM

lol I read that and thought the same thing.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.