HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Old Robinson High FB coach Ed Henry
Posted by: ol timer ()
Date: November 14, 2011 09:09AM

Does anyone remember Ed Henry, the football coach from Robinson High in the early 80's and other Fairfax schools before that? Was in Remember the Titans as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Robinson High FB coach Ed Henry
Posted by: KK ()
Date: November 14, 2011 01:33PM

Yep, I remember hime. He was a great, I mean really great, football coach.

By the way, he went to Mt. Vernon High School.

He said coaching isn't that hard, put the right kids in the right position, get them to pay together, get them to play hard!

Posted by: Dianne Liinn Atkins ()
Date: September 12, 2013 01:24AM

ol timer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone remember Ed Henry, the football coach
> from Robinson High in the early 80's and other
> Fairfax schools before that? Was in Remember the
> Titans as well.

I sure do. Ed was at Robinson at the time my first husband John Linn was coaching basketball at George Mason. The Henrys went to our church, St. George's Methodist which was a church combined from the Methodist church and the Payne St. church (a black church) He and his wife and 5 children were also members at the Fairfax pool in Green Acres at the time. We saw them frequently, and at church Ed sat on one side and John on the other almost every Sun.

I worked at Alexandria Hospital next to Hammond H. S. which was rather elitist
at the time. When the doctors heard their children would be bussed to TJ there was quite a stir.

Posted by: Ancient ()
Date: September 12, 2013 10:25AM

Ed Henry was my football coach at Annandale High School in the early 1960s. What a great guy. I played all high school sports, which meant Harry Smith was my basketball coach and Bob Hardage was my baseball coach. If there were only some way to get back to those days. They were the best.

Posted by: Blatter ()
Date: September 12, 2013 08:25PM

He was at Marshall for awhile too. My parents loved him!

Posted by: BigLou ()
Date: January 07, 2014 09:53AM

ol timer Wrote:
> Does anyone remember Ed Henry, the football coach
> from Robinson High in the early 80's and other
> Fairfax schools before that? Was in Remember the
> Titans as well.

Coach Henry and I both arrived at George C. Marshall HS in the Fall of 1971. He was a respected football coach hired by ol' hop-a-long Herb Yoast, I was a zit faced 9th grader who managed the Frosh football team. Instead of going with my best friend's brother, the most athletic senior at Marshall, at quarterback, Coach Henry went with a skinny sophmore named Mike Olliff, to install his vaunted veer offense. In 1971 we were the Homecoming guests of every team in the Great Falls District, an idea of the Statesmen's football reputation. We went 10-1, beating the Annandale Atoms 14-13 in the Northern Regional, back then that was as far as you went in NoVa. Coach Henry was very quiet off the field, you could hardly hear him at pep rallies. TCWilliams floated between the Northern Virginia Districts in it's first three years of existance, and by my senior year they were in the Great Falls conference. They beat us 9-7 at our field, beside the Beltway the night before we seniors were supposed to take the SAT's. We had a fantastic pair of backs for the veer offense, Mark Bendorf, who went on to great fame as a coachhimself in NoVa, and Peyton Bailey.

Posted by: stelmo..... ()
Date: May 01, 2014 05:50AM

Well Biglou...you are wrong about the 71 season.....The norther regional was played at woodson high school....1st play of the game Mike tossed the ball over dinky jones head out of the end zone for a saftey....those were the only points that GCM gave up since losing the opening game that year to Falls Church high school...25-10.....we won the regional 28-2....they did not play a state champship game in 71 it was a rating system and GCM was ranked 2nd in the state.....not only was I there....I played in the game as a dback....

Posted by: halet ()
Date: October 07, 2014 12:51PM

He was my Gym teacher at Robinson and first football coach at Robinson after Marshall. Little known fact....he hired Bill Yoast a year or two after the "Remember the Titans" year to be his D-coach at Robinson. Anyone know if he is still around? Our Principal at the time, passed this last year.

Posted by: halet ()
Date: October 07, 2014 12:52PM

A also think Coach Henry went on to be UVA's Defensive Coach after he left Robinson?

Posted by: Maybe So ()
Date: October 07, 2014 01:18PM

Yeah, Henry might have been a fine FB coach but I still have memories of 9th grade gym class at Robinson HS.One day in gym class we were supposed to run like 2 miles around the track. This big fat kid (don't really want to give his name) ran about a mile and quit. Henry went over to where he was and got right up in the kids face and started screaming "RUN YOU LAZY FAT SON OF A BITCH!!! WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!" Yeah, things were really a lot differant back then....

Posted by: NS 13 ()
Date: October 07, 2014 08:11PM

Didn't Coach Coon throw Ed Henry a banana?

Posted by: John John ()
Date: October 07, 2014 08:30PM

As folk legend has it, Ed Henry dug an entire railroad tunnel by himself with just a pickaxe and a shovel.

Posted by: Almost ()
Date: October 07, 2014 08:32PM

John John Wrote:
> As folk legend has it, Ed Henry dug an entire
> railroad tunnel by himself with just a pickaxe and
> a shovel.

Almost but no pick

Posted by: Steel Drivin Man ()
Date: October 09, 2014 01:52AM

Pick's or it didn't happen.

Posted by: The man ()
Date: October 09, 2014 05:30AM

He wasn't the first coach at Robinson. Kurt Lindstrom was.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_Rams

Posted by: No film ()
Date: October 09, 2014 07:41AM

Steel Drivin Man Wrote:
> Pick's or it didn't happen.

I see what you did there.

Sweet!

Posted by: tyujhg ()
Date: October 17, 2014 05:47AM

Hate to say it, but he passed a few years back

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: October 17, 2014 07:58AM

He was a rasict fucknut.

Posted by: Marta Henry Bradley ()
Date: October 23, 2014 08:04PM

I'm his daugther. He is still alive. Lives in Florida. Will be 86 December 1. And to whomever said he is racist, you clearly don't know him at all.

Posted by: jungleboogie ()
Date: October 23, 2014 08:18PM

Hey oak view girl. Don't worry about most people on this site. Many posts come from trolls. Disinformation and insults are what they do. Kind of like dumpster diving on here. Got to go through the trash to find something. Your dad was cool. Definitely no racist

Date: October 23, 2014 08:55PM

His wife went to Mount Vernon. She was the captain of the Cheerleaders. He was the football coach. He asked her out the day after she graduated and they eloped 3 months later. He went to Western High School in D.C.

Date: October 23, 2014 08:56PM

No worries. Just thought I'd set the record straight.

Posted by: Nigerian Prince ()
Date: October 23, 2014 08:57PM

Besides birthdate, current address, SSN, and bank routing number would help kindly in our fight against Ebola.

Posted by: 1981 number 74 ()
Date: October 24, 2014 01:51AM

Never had a chance to say THANK YOU Ed! You changed my life forever back then....a true inspiration and leader...and a man who cared more about me than I did myself. You were an amazing coach and mentor...Thank you!!

Posted by: David box ()
Date: November 10, 2014 09:44PM

You should have let me play wide wr! Other that you were a great mentor and a friend! Thanks for being a great coach and touching my life

Posted by: Jeff C. ()
Date: February 23, 2015 09:37AM

Coach Henry pretty coached me on Robinson's 9th grade hoops team. Also, he and my Dad were jogging and tennis buddies so I got to know him pretty well. I will never forget him and my life is better having known him. I thought he was top shelf.

Posted by: hmmmmm ()
Date: February 23, 2015 09:42AM

I wonder why he never seemed to win big/consistently at Robinson...it was a giant school and his teams seemed stacked...

Posted by: Eym3b ()
Date: February 23, 2015 09:43AM

Did he coach at Fairfax in the 90s? Name sounds familiar.

Posted by: Bob R. ()
Date: March 24, 2015 11:17AM

Ed Henry a racist, now that’s one for the book. Ed stands alone as a Giant Red Wood Tree among the forest of other high school football coaches of his area with no equal. Anyone who played for Ed is a better person because he touched our lives in so many positive ways that most of us did not realize or fully understand at the time. You appreciate and better understand these values and the guidance bestowed on us by Ed later on in life. For Ed’s influence in my life, I am truly grateful. Now back to posted number 496 who believes that Ed Henry is a racist. Anyone who knows Ed Henry will tell you how absurd and obscene this accusation is because he does not have a racist bone in his body. I for one would enjoy the opportunity to kick the rear end of this poor misguided individual into next year. Furthermore, I am sure that I can say with great certainty that I am not alone in expressing this outrage. Again I’m sure that all of Ed’s former high school football players feel the same way I do and would gladly get in line behind me. Sorry fellows, I want the first shot at this guy. Finally to Marta Henry Bradley, you go girl defend you dad, we are all behind you.
Bob R. (AHS Class of 1965)

Posted by: back in 65??? ()
Date: March 24, 2015 12:14PM

Ha...back in '65, probably not too many people were considered "racist", even though their activities today would be appalling...different standards back then.

Were schools even integrated then? If they had been, it wasn't that long before.

As you may know, things have changed greatly from 65 to now...

The story of him asking his wife-to-be out the day after she graduated high school...I would think that might turn a few heads today...hmmm?

Times do a change...

Posted by: DanKnows ()
Date: March 24, 2015 02:31PM

Fairfax County Schools integrated in 1963.

Posted by: That'sThat ()
Date: March 24, 2015 02:59PM

DanKnows Wrote:
> Fairfax County Schools integrated in 1963.

And it's a darn good thing because before that, the "colored" people didn't have any kind of school worth mentioning and that ain't right. No matter how you look at it. And I'm not saying that to stir things up. I mean it!

Posted by: Dave Swann ()
Date: April 18, 2015 09:45PM

Hi Martha,

This is Dave Swann. I saw your post and as you know I played football for your dad. I just wanted to say he's a great guy he also helped get me into college at UVA by being a reference. I hope you are doing well. I know Sean Hussong is also fond of your dad.

Posted by: Dave Swann ()
Date: April 18, 2015 09:54PM

Hi Marta,

Sorry to spell your name wrong. Spelling was never my strong suit. Dave

Posted by: former player ()
Date: April 19, 2015 06:17PM

Well I was doing some research on 411.com and it seem he moved to Vienna, VA do you think it will be odd if someone goes to his house and visit him?

Posted by: WoodsJ ()
Date: July 01, 2015 01:42PM

Yes, remember the Henry's well. i am told today that Ed passed away yesterday...

Posted by: Curtis,T ()
Date: July 04, 2015 02:44AM

Yes,unfortunately he did.I am friends with his daughter.

Posted by: RIP ()
Date: July 04, 2015 08:39AM

That sucks. RIP Mr henry

Posted by: troll police ()
Date: July 04, 2015 02:46PM

I hope and think its untrue. There's no obit online. And I think it would have been there. There was a previous false alarm on this.

Posted by: Bruce R. ()
Date: July 04, 2015 09:16PM

I played for Coach Henry at Annandale from 1963-1965. He was an outstanding coach and man and one of the important figures of my early life. He was not a racist. He was tough but fair and a man of great charm.
I hoped that he has not passed but, if so, my condolences to his family and may he rest in peace. (AHS class of 1966)

Posted by: Krissy ()
Date: July 08, 2015 06:04PM

I'm a 1984 grad from Robinson HS, and I'm so sad to hear of Coach Henry's passing. He impacted many of our lives, and I will always cherish the many great memories of being a football trainer for him, Coach Nottingham, the rest of the coaches and the JV and Varsity football teams. He influenced my love for football, and I will always remember him fondly. He made being on the sidelines exciting for sure. Prayers to his family at this sad time. RIP Coach Henry! His funeral services will be a mega Robinson H.S. Reunion for sure due to all those he influenced! Hugs to all!

The visitation (wake) will be on Sunday, July 12, between 1:30 and 4:00 at Fairfax Memorial Funeral Home. The funeral is on Monday, July 13th at St. George's United Methodist Church on Ox Road in Fairfax. There will be a reception at the church after the gravesite ceremony.

Posted by: Henry on Remembering the Titans ()
Date: July 08, 2015 11:21PM

Posted by: David Swann ()
Date: July 10, 2015 10:08PM

I am sorry to hear of coach Ed Henry's passing. He was a truly a good man and had large impact on my life. I am proud to have had him as my coach and friend.

Posted by: Harmojo ()
Date: July 13, 2015 07:00PM

What are you trying to say?

Date: July 14, 2015 04:17PM

I am a freelance writer for the Fairfax Times and was wondering if anyone would be able to speak to me about Coach Henry from his days of coaching. You can be on the record or not but I would like to add some substance to this article on one of the legendary coaches in Virginia. I can be reached at ChrisJ1280@gmail.com

Posted by: Ludwig ()
Date: July 19, 2015 02:14AM

http://www.fairfaxmemorialfuneralhome.com/obituary/Edward-Hugh-Henry-Jr./Orange-Park-FL/1526283

Ed Henry Obituary

Edward H. Henry, Jr. (Ed) of Falls Church, VA, died peacefully on July 1, 2015 in Orange Park, FL where he has lived for the past 23 years.

Mr. Henry, a retired teacher, coached high school football for 25 years and college football for 12 years in Virginia. He led the Annandale High School Atoms football team to the State Championship in 1965. In 1968 he authored the book Developing a Successful High School Pro Set Football Offense and was inducted into the Virginia High School Hall of Fame on October 14, 1997. He was depicted in the film Remember the Titans (2000).

Born in Washington, DC on December 1, 1928, he was the son of Mary and Edward H. Henry, Sr. After high school, he entered the Army and became a qualified parachutist in the 11th Airborne Division in 1946. He earned a Bachelor of Science in Physical Education in 1951 and a Master of Education in 1954, both from the University of Virginia, and was a member of the Thomas Jefferson Society of Alumni.

He was a member of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity, belonged to the United Methodist Church, and was a jazz enthusiast and supporter of the University of North Florida's Department of Music (Jazz). He was also an avid golfer. He will be remembered for his work ethic, commitment to excellence, ability to interact with anyone, respect for tradition and progressive thinking, and sense of humor.

He is survived by his wife of nearly 62 years, Roberta Locke Henry, daughter Linda Henry, daughter and son-in-law Carol Henry-Chappell and Tod Chappell, daughter and son-in-law Shari Henry and Tim Jones, son Kevin Henry, and daughter and son-in-law Marta and Scot Bradley, eleven grandchildren and a great-grandson.

Visitation is on July 12th at Fairfax Memorial Funeral Home, 9902 Braddock Road, Fairfax, VA 22032 from 1:30 to 4:00 p.m.

The funeral will be held on July 13th at St. George's United Methodist Church, 4910 Ox Road, Fairfax, VA 22030 at 11:00 a.m. with graveside services at 12:30 p.m. and lunch at the church at 1:00 p.m.

The family requests that gifts be made in memory of Edward H. Henry, Jr. (Ed Henry) to the University of Virginia, School of Education - Curry School of Education Foundation, PO Box 400276, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4276; the Alzheimer's Association - Alzheimer's Association National Office, 225 N. Michigan Ave., Fl. 17, Chicago, IL 60601; or the University of North Florida Department of Music - Department of Music, University of North Florida, 1 UNF Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32224; notate Ed Henry Jazz Scholarship Fund.

- See more at: http://www.fairfaxmemorialfuneralhome.com/obituary/Edward-Hugh-Henry-Jr./Orange-Park-FL/1526283#sthash.dvdaUMXC.dpuf

Posted by: Bruce Churchill ()
Date: August 12, 2015 08:29PM

I graduated from Annandale HS in 1957. George Winkler was the Head football coach then and Ed Henry was his assistant. I remember Ed as a very knowledgeable coach and if you didn't perform he would get in your face. But...that's the way it should be. Annandale's first year of football was 1954 with only Juniors and below on the team. Under George's and Ed's guidance the team gradually improved over the next three years and obviously even more so after I graduated. Our quarterback was a guy named Joe Davies (AHS class of 1958) and he was a good one! Joe became a USAF fighter pilot and was killed in action over Vietnam in 1968.

Posted by: Bruce Churchill ()
Date: August 12, 2015 08:40PM

Marta

I was sorry to hear of your Dad's passing just last month. Even though he wasn't the Head football coach at Annandale when I was there, I could sense that he would someday be a great coach. We weren't integrated at Annandale HS in 1954-57 when I played for him but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have made any difference if we had been. Even as the Assistant coach, he was an inspirational guy and someone you really wanted to win for. I was shocked to see him portrayed in "Remember the Titans" - I had no idea he had become so successful as a Virginia HS Coach! But I wasn't surprised either. He was surely a man worth remembering and you can be proud to have had him as your father!

Posted by: Robinson Ram Jammer ()
Date: August 13, 2015 08:29AM

Maybe he lost his edge as he got along in years.

Robinson seemed to be loaded with talent (should have been, huge school) but I don't remember him doing all that great there.

Does anyone from those days remember him having his favorite guys who he would really help? Or, having guys who weren't his favorites, who he seemed to really go the other way with?

Date: November 06, 2016 03:13AM

Better late than never. Came across this post I had to say something had to say something about my Coach Ed Henry. I'm a 1980 graduate of Robinson Secondary School. He was my coach for the two years I played Varsity Football my Junior and Senior for the Robinson Rams. As a Black Man Coach Henry loved competitors. He made extra time for me for two seasons to make sure I made the team. Before we would get to "Two-A-Days" in the summer you had to meet the time for the two mile run. He would connect with me personally to make sure I ran enough during the summer to meet the time requirement to make the team. Coach Ed Henry would know what to say to get best out of you. I did'not start with A Team. I was B Team offence and defence and started special teams. He invited me over to his house many times to watch films of our opposing teams together so that if got a chance to play I would be ready to perform. He told me in 11th grade that I was a competitor who would be a great leader one day. He told in 11 grade I would be a congressman or elected official. When my classmates would shout racial slurs at me and discourage me from running for student govetnment office. He was the first, other than my father and mother to fill my head with encouragement about my future and the contribution I would make to society. He was the first other than my mother and father to stress the importance of "NEVER QUITTING". I never played footbal again after I left Robinson. But Coach Ed Henry changed my life. My mom and dad always encouraged me but Coach Ed Henry cinvinced me me that I could do anything. Sometimes I remember playing behind Big Bill Lawson, Bill was good person and great player a defensive tackle. We had a goal line stand during a critical game. Bill got hurt. Coach put me in. He had a phrase "Nut Cutting Time", He said Ivory its "Nut Cutting Time". I came to understand its when you separate the boys from real men. It was one play but it was a critical game we had to win. We stopped them and won that game. There were many plays like that I would go in to relieve soneone during critical plays. Coach Ed Henry believed in me and when he told us to leave it all on the field. To go out and do the impossible you believed you could.In 1979 Coach Henry who earlier in his coaching career won state championships that year we won the Northern District of Virginia Championship. Then in the Regional Finals we lost. It was life changing to set goals for victory and be apart of the team to get it done. We lost regionals not because we did not believe. You not only believed it you went out defied the odds and got it done. When we left it all on the field you lost but you still won. Coach Henry taught us good sportsmanship but he also gelp us to understand we had the the victory whether we won or lost. I graduated from Robinson Secondary School and went to attend Hampton University, an Historically Black College, I pledged a fraternity Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, I helped now Congressman Bobby Scott get elected to State Representative to start his political career, I helped Douglas Wilder to get elected as the first Black Governor in the State of Virginia, I was elected as Student Government President at Hampton, I graduated with a Bachelor of Architecture Degree from the School of Architecture, Now I've practiced Architecture for 31 years, I got a beautiful wife, two lovely daughters, three grand kids, I have been elected to the Atlanta City Council for 4 terms serving for 16 years and preparing to run for my 5th term in November 2017 because I believe we are making a differecent in the lives of people. My father Retired Sergeant Major Ivory Lee Young Sr.and Coach Ed Henry and now JESUS CHRIST inspire me everyday to believe that I can do anything. I was diagnosed with Bone Cancer November 2011 today November 2016 the Doctors tell me I'm in remission. As Coach Henry from his etetnal resting place tells me "IT'S NUT CUTTING TIME" and "WE GOT TO LEAVE IT ALL OUT ON THE FIELD". Coach Ed Henry bread champions on and off the field. THE GAME IS NOT OVER COACH ED HENRY. I LOVE YOU!

Posted by: old rival ball coach ()
Date: November 06, 2016 09:38PM

from Ivory above, "As a Black Man Coach Henry loved competitors" Not sure we are talking about the same man, I'm pretty sure the coach Henry I knew of was a white man?

Everyone is entitled to there opinions, the ones others have heard,as in might not always agree with the kids who had good experiense with him?

So say he might bend over backward, or just look the other way, to get/keep some kid out of a jam, for some others he goes out of his way to "bust" others for the same type of "trouble"? You know just dumb stuff kids do in high school some he get in trouble, some, he maybe help out? Have others heard same stories thats all?

As I know it the man has gone on, may he RIP anyway! much love and respect to all coaches my profession

Posted by: Lub-nch ()
Date: November 06, 2016 10:37PM

Ed Henry was in the KKK. He loved a good lynching. Dude is rotting in hell right now.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.