HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Call VDOT to Have Campaign Signs Removed From Roads
Posted by: FFX County News ()
Date: November 12, 2011 07:37AM

Call VDOT to Have Campaign Signs Removed From Roads
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news/2011/updates/call-vdot-for-campaign-signs-on-roads.htm

Nov. 9, 2011

Still see political campaign signs on roadways? Call the Virginia Department of Transportation's customer service center at 1-800-367-7623 (1-800-FOR-ROAD) to have them removed.

Under state law (§33.1-373), these signs may not be placed on roads, medians or right of ways, which include sidewalks or ditches, and the area between utility lines or fences on the outside edges of state roads.

Only VDOT has the authority to remove signs from state roads and right of ways.

On private property, campaign signs should be taken down within 15 days after the election.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Call VDOT to Have Campaign Signs Removed From Roads
Posted by: He Is Delusional ()
Date: November 12, 2011 08:13AM

FFX County News Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Only VDOT has the authority to remove signs from
> state roads and right of ways.

Now, that part I find interesting. I guess even the campaign volunteers can't go back and clean up the signs. Maybe, VDOT has determined that it is an unsafe practice? VDOT crews will have appropriate safety vests, marked vehicles with flashing lights, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm the real H.I.D. If you question my identity, just hit the quote button on one of my posts and look for any of the "L" characters that have been replaced by the uppercase "I" character. That will tell you who the fake is.

Posted by: Concerned Parents ()
Date: November 12, 2011 08:21AM

FFX County News Wrote:
> Under state law (§33.1-373), these signs may not
> be placed on roads, medians or right of ways,
> which include sidewalks or ditches, and the area
> between utility lines or fences on the outside
> edges of state roads.
>
> Only VDOT has the authority to remove signs from
> state roads and right of ways.

Hey wait a minute, didn't Brian Schoehman or someone say that the signs have to be taken down in 9 days in the county? Per the posting above, it says 15 days. Also it says that it's illegal to place signs on roads, medians, right of ways, etc. So how do these guys get away with putting them up there?

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: November 12, 2011 08:33AM

Someone should have posted that a month ago. Ah well, when the whiners come on complaining about campaign signs next year we can link that post and let them call VDOT about it.

Posted by: wally pip jr. ()
Date: November 12, 2011 09:52AM

What office was this Direct Furniture running for?

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: November 12, 2011 10:40AM

School board.

Posted by: Is it time to update the Hatch Act? ()
Date: November 12, 2011 04:07PM

Is it time to update the Hatch Act?
By Ed O'Keefe
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/post/is-it-time-to-update-the-hatch-act/2011/10/18/gIQAcRJNvL_blog.html

With campaign season in full swing, federal employees already know they can’t display or distribute campaign literature and pictures at the office. The Hatch Act, which bars feds from engaging in most political activities, places strict limitations on what they can do or say when it comes to partisan politics.

But how does the 72-year-old Hatch Act address the use of e-mail, BlackBerries, social media and the growing trend of federal employees working from home?

So far, it doesn’t say anything at all about those trends, and the office enforcing the law is desperately seeking some updates.

Carolyn Lerner, head of the Office of Special Counsel, is pushing Congress to update the Hatch Act and to address aspects of the law that often bar state and local government employees from running in local or state elections if their position or employer is funded with federal dollars.

Lerner, who assumed her position in in June, spoke Tuesday with The Federal Eye about her proposals:

The Federal Eye: What are the big changes your proposals would make?

Lerner: One is getting us out of the business of enforcing the Hatch Act in the context of state and local elections. The Hatch Act would still apply at the state and local level where employees are working in places that get federal funds, but it would mean that we couldn’t tell people they can’t run for office because their position is funded at all by federal funds.

After 9/11, there was a lot of money going to state and local governments from the federal government for security issues and police departments. But it’s also ambulance drivers, whose positions are funded by Medicaid or Medicare funds, who can’t run for county coroner. Deputy sheriffs can’t run for sheriff.

We’ve talked about a guy who’s in a K9 unit in Pennsylvania, and because his dog is funded for federal money, couldn’t run for school board. We had to be in the position of telling this gentleman who wanted to run for school that he couldn’t because his dog was funded from federal funds. That’s ridiculous, that’s absurd.

(RELATED: Whistleblowers get a defender)

How often do you hear from folks like this?

A lot. Cases come to us either when people ask us whether they can run for office, or when their opponents file a complaint with our office saying someone shouldn’t be in a race for school board or sheriff or whatever the local office is, because he works in a place that gets money from the federal government. And it keeps good people out of government.

(Lerner’s office later said that 80 percent of the cases they consider at the local and state level are campaign-related cases, when an opponent tries to block someone from running in a partisan race because of potential Hatch Act violations.)

Would these proposed changes make it easier for a federal employee to run for nonpartisan school board seat or a planning commission?

Our legislation doesn’t address that.

And what’s the other reform you’re pushing for?

It’s in the penalty area. Right now, the presumptive penalty is termination. That’s the only penalty that’s provided for. Technically, if you were to appeal to the Merit Systems Protection Board, they could mitigate the penalty down to 30 days, but really the presumptive penalty is termination.

That is unique in terms of adverse personnel actions in the federal government. Virtually every other type of misconduct in the federal government is punishable through progressive disciplinary action.

For example, you can get an oral reprimand, or a written reprimand. Get a demotion or suspension. There’s progressive discipline leading up to termination. But in the Hatch Act, only termination.

Our proposed legislation would put in a range of penalties.

One of the things I’ve heard from federal employees is they often don’t know about the Hatch Act’s limitations or the range of services available from the OSC. Is there any way to require agencies to train new recruits or other employees about the Hatch Act and the services available at your office?

If Congress mandated it.

We don’t have the authority to require agencies to do that kind of training. Whenever we’re requested to do training, we go out and do it, and I’d frankly love to have the resources to do more, but it’s a matter of fairness that if we’re going to expect employees to follow rules, we make sure they’re aware of what the rules are.

What about accounting for new technologies being used by federal workers?

Defining political activity is important, but that’s a question for Congress to answer. We want to work with Congress to come up with what are reasonable definitions, but ultimately that’s really Congress’s call.

When the act was first passed in 1939, and even 20 years ago when it was last amended, telework, BlackBerries, the Internet, e-mail, blogs, social media, none of that was really around.

(Lerner’s office provided a list of requests sent to Congress, calling on lawmakers to define the term “political activity” as referenced in the law, to determine how the law applies to teleworking programs and how the law should apply to laptops, BlackBerries and other devices.)

You’ve issued some advisories in recent months about the impending 2012 elections. Will the office be issuing any other campaign-related updates or advisories?

I’m not anticipating anything in that area, but I’m hoping Congress will act quickly to make the landscape clearer for federal employees before we get into the active campaign season.

We’re doing the best we can with the law as it’s written now, but clearly we need some changes.
Attachments:
d731c178-f693-11e0-84ef-ef2e4b00f028_UUIDCampaign%20Signs%20A_1318617540.jpg

Posted by: spooky ()
Date: November 12, 2011 06:38PM

Thousands aand thousands of these get placed up in FFX county election. Why aren't our FFX county cops an State smokies out enforcing the laws and arresting the people putting up the signs. Even the FFX sherrif has staffers out sticking up hundreds of signs all over the place,

The only reason I can think of is that's there more money to be made and less hassle in writing tickets for traffic violations, (which mostly just get payed online for anything less than a reckless).

Posted by: Sign Planter ()
Date: November 12, 2011 07:52PM

Many of the signs you see are illegal. Certainly all of the 4x8s. But frankly, Chap P. was the first one to put up a bunch of those, and when no one took them down every campaign quickly went out and ordered some.

As we were putting up the signs, we had both a state trooper and a Fairfax County police car stop by. Both had the same message: It's OK to do it but make sure your truck is safely parked off the main road.

It appears there is a race going on right now to take down the signs. No one wants to be the last sign standing. I know the Koreans are going out in force after church tomorrow to take care of the Moon signs.

Posted by: Ron Reagan ()
Date: November 12, 2011 08:50PM

Was out for a drive along Ffx Cty parkway and then down Rt123 to Lorton. The biggest sign offender is MOON. Sad that he got re-elected, as he clearly doesn't give a crap about littering the county.

Reverend Moon, TAKE DOWN YOUR SIGNS!

Posted by: Driver of The Mach 5 ()
Date: November 12, 2011 09:12PM

Natural Selection is going to be a real bee-yotch one day...

So, I'm on the limit out on the 7100 at 8am this morning. I see a black pickup on the right shoulder with its hazards on so, I move into the left lane to give a lane of clearance such that when the truck mysteriously lurches into the right lane, I won't be there.

The next thing I see is Wilfred Brimley's grandfather on the LEFT shoulder with his back to traffic and both arms full of about a dozen signs. A gust of wind comes up and he is blown to the RIGHT directly into my path of travel.

I swerve left onto the shoulder passing him at speed and then merge back onto the road to see him shaking his fist at me in my rear view mirror.

What the heck was I supposed to do? Sorry there..."Campaign-Sign-Cleaner-Upper-Hanglider-Dude"...

Next time, pull your truck fully into the median grass and that way you don't have to worry about ending up in the road whilst conducting your "flight experiments"...

Posted by: Alpha Male ()
Date: November 12, 2011 09:39PM

Driver of The Mach 5 Wrote:
> Natural Selection is going to be a real bee-yotch
> one day...
>
> So, I'm on the limit out on the 7100 at 8am this
> morning. I see a black pickup on the right
> shoulder with its hazards on so, I move into the
> left lane to give a lane of clearance such that
> when the truck mysteriously lurches into the right
> lane, I won't be there.
>
> The next thing I see is Wilfred Brimley's
> grandfather on the LEFT shoulder with his back to
> traffic and both arms full of about a dozen signs.
> A gust of wind comes up and he is blown to the
> RIGHT directly into my path of travel.
>
> I swerve left onto the shoulder passing him at
> speed and then merge back onto the road to see him
> shaking his fist at me in my rear view mirror.
>
> What the heck was I supposed to do? Sorry
> there..."Campaign-Sign-Cleaner-Upper-Hanglider-Dud
> e"...
>
> Next time, pull your truck fully into the median
> grass and that way you don't have to worry about
> ending up in the road whilst conducting your
> "flight experiments"...

I wish you would have hit and killed him. It may take an accidental death to put an end to the bullshit practice of allowing campaign signs to litter the county.

Posted by: Driver of The Mach 5 ()
Date: November 12, 2011 09:46PM

Alpha Male Wrote:
> Driver of The Mach 5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Natural Selection is going to be a real
> bee-yotch
> > one day...
> >
> > So, I'm on the limit out on the 7100 at 8am
> this
> > morning. I see a black pickup on the right
> > shoulder with its hazards on so, I move into
> the
> > left lane to give a lane of clearance such that
> > when the truck mysteriously lurches into the
> right
> > lane, I won't be there.
> >
> > The next thing I see is Wilfred Brimley's
> > grandfather on the LEFT shoulder with his back
> to
> > traffic and both arms full of about a dozen
> signs.
> > A gust of wind comes up and he is blown to the
> > RIGHT directly into my path of travel.
> >
> > I swerve left onto the shoulder passing him at
> > speed and then merge back onto the road to see
> him
> > shaking his fist at me in my rear view mirror.
> >
> > What the heck was I supposed to do? Sorry
> >
> there..."Campaign-Sign-Cleaner-Upper-Hanglider-Dud
>
> > e"...
> >
> > Next time, pull your truck fully into the
> median
> > grass and that way you don't have to worry
> about
> > ending up in the road whilst conducting your
> > "flight experiments"...
>
> I wish you would have hit and killed him. It may
> take an accidental death to put an end to the
> bullshit practice of allowing campaign signs to
> litter the county.

Yeah, I hear ya'. I'm not sure if I'da been at fault or not but for the sake of karma, I'm glad I missed him.

I wish the state would just ban the signs altogether but, I know that's not going to happen. Realistically, as a compromise, I think the candidates should be held accountable and the accounting actually enforced. And frankly, their signs should be gone the day after election. We have to put up with them for far too long leading up to the elections.

If they're not gone on the day after election, then VDOT or a properly trained and certified contractor should be out there taking care of them and a bill sent to the candidate. After the election, those signs are simply litter and should be treated as such. It's obvious where they come from.

Posted by: What's the Deal? ()
Date: November 14, 2011 06:42AM

The police are afraid of angering politicians. It's because they know if they do, they'll find themselves either doing desk duty or off the force. It only takes one phone call after a while.

Posted by: Sign Offenders Still Out There ()
Date: November 16, 2011 01:10PM

On 29 From Stringfellow to 66 there are a ton of signs still up!!!

Biggest Offender Brian S.-You still have three of the 4'x8' signs up would you please take them down.

Sheila Ratnam seemed to be a sore loser because almost all her signs are still up!

See a few Malik, Moon, and Schultz signs here and there too!

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: November 16, 2011 02:48PM

Sign Offenders Still Out There Wrote:
> On 29 From Stringfellow to 66 there are a ton of
> signs still up!!!
>
> Biggest Offender Brian S.-You still have three of
> the 4'x8' signs up would you please take them
> down.
>
> Sheila Ratnam seemed to be a sore loser because
> almost all her signs are still up!
>
> See a few Malik, Moon, and Schultz signs here and
> there too!

Please see first post of the thread, which has the number you can call.

Posted by: Bulova--an example ()
Date: November 16, 2011 03:01PM

This morning on 7100 near metro exit Bulova still has a big ass sign up. I mean really, Chairman of the BOS.

You have only had 8 days to remove them.

Posted by: Hey ()
Date: November 16, 2011 03:06PM

if you lazy bums have all this time to post about signs and locations, why don't you get of your ass and take them down. The signs will eventually come down, stop freaking out and get a life. The offenders will get a fine when their time is up. Think of it as more revenue for poor Fairfax County who can't even mow the lawns in the medians.

Posted by: clownshoes ()
Date: November 16, 2011 03:18PM

Think of it as more revenue for poor Fairfax County who can't even mow the lawns in the medians.

You're right, the county can't mow them. That's because they're owned by the state, not the county. Hence the title of the thread including the word "VDOT" not "Fairfax County".

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: November 16, 2011 03:23PM

Jim LeMunyon has no desire to take his fucking gigantic signs down from West Ox or 50E just before the i66E exit. Rather than taking them down, he plastered big THANK YOU signs on top of his signs.

Posted by: Hey's Murderer ()
Date: November 16, 2011 04:15PM

Hey Wrote:
> if you lazy bums have all this time to post about
> signs and locations, why don't you get of your ass
> and take them down. The signs will eventually come
> down, stop freaking out and get a life. The
> offenders will get a fine when their time is up.
> Think of it as more revenue for poor Fairfax
> County who can't even mow the lawns in the
> medians.

Wait...I see what you did there...

YOU posted complaining to US about US complaining about the campaign when it's really OUR time that could be better utilized clearing the signs ourselves rather than discussing it on the Interwebz. But it's just OUR time that could be better utilized...not YOUR time. Because it's perfectly ok for YOU to complain about US rather than YOU getting out there and clearing the signs YOURself.

Do I have that right, fuckpole?

Posted by: Honest Jim ()
Date: November 16, 2011 05:06PM

Bulova--an example Wrote:
> This morning on 7100 near metro exit Bulova still
> has a big ass sign up. I mean really, Chairman of
> the BOS.
>
> You have only had 8 days to remove them.

talk to Jack Dobbyn who doesnt seem to give a shit that almost a hundred of his signs are still up on the Parkway at Orange Hunt. He would have made a great elected official if he doesnt even give a shit how his signs pollute the roadway. Glad he lost.

Posted by: Hey ()
Date: November 17, 2011 06:14AM

Hey's Murderer

Struck a nerve didn't I you lazy ass? Now do yourself a favor and try to accomplish something today besides mastering the use of caps lock. Go take down some signs. It will make you feel better.

Posted by: Hey Dumbass ()
Date: November 17, 2011 06:45AM

So your saying that the people here who see signs should a) risk their safety by doing something that these people should have done over a week ago b) have a car large enough to put a 4'x8' sign or c) call VDOT and have them wait two months to come out and waste our tax payer dollars to remove the signs. I believe the deposit for the permit to put out the signs (which is what they lose no fines as far as I'm aware of) is $100 I find it hard to believe thats what it will cost the county to clean up that garbage. The point of the original post was that Brian S. comes on here, and he can and needs to have his people go clean up his signs on 29!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.