HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Typical Cost for Child Care in Fairfax/Montogmery Cnty?
Posted by: freeflyen ()
Date: January 31, 2008 11:42PM

Hello All,

I was wondering what the typical monthly cost for daycare/childcare is averaging for an 18-24 month old in the Fairfax/Montgomery County areas at this time.

Appreciate you input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Typical Cost for Child Care in Fairfax/Montogmery Cnty?
Date: January 31, 2008 11:48PM

I also should have included a licensed daycare provider, not an under the table setup.

Many Thanks

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 31, 2008 11:48PM

Under the table will be much cheaper.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 01, 2008 12:39AM

freeflyen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was wondering what the typical monthly cost for
> daycare/childcare is averaging for an 18-24 month
> old in the Fairfax/Montgomery County areas at this
> time.

it's your kid, take some responsibility and raise it instead of pawning it off onto others.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: expensivechildcare ()
Date: February 01, 2008 05:42AM

budget for $15,000/yr for a place like:

http://firststepschildcare.org/

and look for a second job since you didn't want to do the primary job of raising the child.

Posted by: OrangeFish ()
Date: February 01, 2008 09:48AM

Roughly $1400-$1500/month for full-time care.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: February 01, 2008 10:15AM

OrangeFish is correct. That is the average cost around here. The only semi-positive is if you file an itemized tax return, you can write off about $5,000 of it on your taxes.

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: February 01, 2008 10:48AM

Damn, we need more illegal immigrants so we can drive these prices down. Plus, they can teach our kids Spanish and make the bilingeral.

I know a couple in in California, Katriana and Jakob, that pays $200 a week for child care. The child gets a full day with six other kids, and and now has a love of Taco Bell and Del Taco. When he sees his parents he says "Hola, coma usted?" and happily freaks out when he sees low rider cars on the highway. Also, he now sings one heck of a Ranchero balad, and could be professional some day.

His third birthday was last month and I got him fuzzy dice for his tricycle. It was just what he wanted.

Katriana now has more time for her poetry writing, and Jakob has time to devote to listening to his beloved techno music.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: February 01, 2008 04:06PM

Under the table child care is risky. Your kid could get bludgeoned to death by the providers angry, illegally in the country boyfriend

Date: February 01, 2008 05:29PM

Whoa!

A lot of you folks have some serious anger issues. It was just a question of curiosity. My workmates and I are were having a discussion at work about the state of the economy with taxes going up, house prices going down, record foreclosures, etc. This can be a necessary expense for some people. So understanding what the typical monthly expense would help to understand how parents in the area manage to get by and stay above water. Some people don't have the option to stay home with their children full time, i.e. single parent (divorce/death of spouse/deployment of spouse). So this is an honest question and no reason to blow a gasket.

Cheers

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: February 01, 2008 06:50PM

While I count myself lucky that I am able to afford my wife being able to stay home and be there for raising our two kids, I do understand that isn't possible or practical for all famalies in Fairfax County.

If I did have to pay for child care, it would be in a home-based family day care operation, not one of the conglomorates out there on each corner...

I would verify the provider had a license by the county and there are other programs they could participate in (like food programs, etc.) The more the county was involved, the better I would feel.

I won't name the name of the place, but one of those day care places (a franchise on a main road in the area) employed high school kids as helpers. When a friend of mine was dating a lady there, she told him about their escapades involving enough beer to come to work, still drunk the next day! Drugs of all sorts, and visits from boyfriends at work. Nothing I would want my kids around!

I am not sure what one of the franchised places cost, but I would say you cannot "interview" them like you could a day care provider and their home. I would have to say it would be between $150-$250/week, depending on how many hours yours kid is there.

I hope this helps - No anger issues here, just my own research and experiences.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: February 01, 2008 09:55PM

It seems to me its the people like Gravis who have no kids that always attack parents who use daycare. If you had a kid you would see that some daycare is actually good for kids because it socializes them. When kids get to be about a year old, they start to get bored when there isn't enough interaction. Being around other kids for a few hours a day helps do this. It is also very useful. My second son was lagging in language development until we put him in daycare. Within a few weeks, he was yammering away.

Posted by: Maeve ()
Date: February 01, 2008 10:17PM

My husband's job in sales used to provide for our 3 children (all under 4 1/2) and myself very nicely and I was able to stay at home. Lately, with the economy sag, we've been having to borrow money to get by. I am now looking for a job. I love staying at home and raising my children but the fact is, when you have little lives to provide for, you'll do anything not to have the electricity turned off, to pay the morgage, to keep gas in the cars, to FEED them. Gravis, taking responsibility is exactly what I'm doing. Don't bag on working moms, we hurt already but know that in hard times it may be the only way to give your kids what they need.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 01, 2008 10:22PM

Yikes, language development improves from being with toddlers who don't speak well?

No, every study shows that kids with the most advanced language development are those children who spend the most time with adults who speak with them one-on-one. If you think about it, it only makes sense. Children learn their language from adults, not from other toddlers who can barely speak the language.

Children learn how to get along with others from parents who teach them how to behave, teach them to manners, teach them to take turns, etc. But it is good to practice those skills with other children in their family, or their neighborhood.

Kids who grow up in dysfunctional homes, with a series of child care situations, do not grow up to be particularly socialized, despite spending their young lives with many other children, and few adults. Adults teach children how to behave, not other children.

In Vienna, the going rate for home day care is $50 to $75 per day, per child.

Unfortunately our schools are not very family friendly. Elementary schools are still only half day on Monday, and out at 3:10 to 3:30 Tuesday through Friday, plus all summer, Christmas and Easter week, 2 teacher work days every other month, and 10 other holidays. Parents need to find child care for all of those days.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 01, 2008 10:23PM

Maeve,
How will you make enough money to offset the money you will pay for childcare, transportation to work, clothes for work, etc?

Posted by: Maeve ()
Date: February 01, 2008 10:38PM

Neen, My qualifications will provide me with a nice salary but I was expecting to stay at home for at least another 4 years, until my youngest starts kindergarden. Day care costs in my area for 3 non-school aged kids=2,600 per month. OUCH! But if my working pays even two bills after all that cost, we're that much farther away from bankruptcy. Times are tough.

Posted by: why me ()
Date: February 01, 2008 10:45PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
> >
> If I did have to pay for child care, it would be
> in a home-based family day care operation, not one
> of the conglomorates out there on each corner...
>
> I would verify the provider had a license by the
> county and there are other programs they could
> participate in (like food programs, etc.) The more
> the county was involved, the better I would feel.
>

Based on our personal experience, I would be inclined to avoid the home based providers. Yes the county checks them out, but they can visit them only so often.

Back in the late 90's we had our two girls in a home based day care. We checked the provider out very carefully before hand - she got glowing reviews from the county as well as the current familes that used her. Not too long later we learned from a 3rd party of some activities that were putting the lives of the childen in danger. We ended up at Burke Country Day school, a place we were happy with and felt that it was given more oversite than a home based provider.

That said, I soon realized that I was the best one to raise my girls. Fortunately my wife has a pretty good job with the govt. and I have been a stay at home dad ever since. It took a lot of sacrifices on our part (old cars, no cable or satellite, etc) but it is truly the best job I have ever had.

That said, it is not a job for everyone, and in this area it can be hard to survive on one income.

Just my .02 cents.
>

Posted by: Balt ()
Date: February 02, 2008 12:18AM

>"Day care costs in my area for 3 non-school aged >kids=2,600 per month. OUCH! But if my working pays >even two bills after all that cost, we're that much >farther away from bankruptcy. Times are tough."

Are you SURE that you will really make extra money when you also account for your increased tax bracket, additional transportation costs including wear and tear on your vehicle, eating more processed/prepared food because you and your husband are too tired after work some days to cook, etc?

Maybe you will, but most of the women I know who are not doctors or lawyers have decided that having a job does not give their family more NET income when all things are considered. The second income gives them the illusion of more income, but their increased expenses and taxes eat it all up. I know a lot of really depressed moms who've fallen in the "two-income trap" and hate it.

Have you considered starting your own home-based daycare instead? You could stay with your children just like you planned while taking in several neighborhood children for 1000 - 1500 per month. You wouldn't have much in the way of increased costs, and you'd probably feel less pressured by not joining the working mom rat race. That's what I am considering doing when my husband and I have kids.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: February 02, 2008 09:28AM

Its funny to read this thread, becasue in my office most all of the husbands (or wives) are married and have spouses who =by choice= have decided to reduce their burden and put the kids in daycare. We're talking partners who make $750,000 a year. Yet, the nurturing advantages of the parent give way to the need to have enough money for the second house in Duck or Kitty Hawk Beach.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: February 02, 2008 10:23AM

why me Wrote:
> Based on our personal experience, I would be
> inclined to avoid the home based providers. Yes
> the county checks them out, but they can visit
> them only so often.
>
> Back in the late 90's we had our two girls in a
> home based day care. We checked the provider out
> very carefully before hand - she got glowing
> reviews from the county as well as the current
> familes that used her. Not too long later we
> learned from a 3rd party of some activities that
> were putting the lives of the childen in danger.
> We ended up at Burke Country Day school, a place
> we were happy with and felt that it was given more
> oversite than a home based provider.
>
> That said, I soon realized that I was the best one
> to raise my girls. Fortunately my wife has a
> pretty good job with the govt. and I have been a
> stay at home dad ever since. It took a lot of
> sacrifices on our part (old cars, no cable or
> satellite, etc) but it is truly the best job I
> have ever had.
>
> That said, it is not a job for everyone, and in
> this area it can be hard to survive on one
> income.
>
> Just my .02 cents.
> >

Very cool you get to be home - some days I wish it was my wife working and me being home all day, but...

I have met a few home day care providers and one REALLY stood out as awesome! Imagine someone who took the time to not only get licensed properly, but also seemed to reinvest into their business. I mean, taoys and learning materials in a set-up that would rival any comglomerate's operation, but with the care that one would expect from an individual.

While it sounds like you had a decent experience at the place you went to, I would say they are either really on top of things, or you got lucky. Again, I do not want some stoner, leftover boozing, teenager looking after my kids under the guise of a day care facility. I know they are just "helpers" and there is (should) be an adult there at all times. But in my opinion, there is less of an incentive to "care" and more to just get through another day at the conglomorate.

Maybe I am wrong... My gut feeling says otherwise.

A home day care place, if looks like there isn't much structure, then there probably isn't. You are basically getting a high-priced babysitter. But if they offer breakfast and lunch with snacks in between - no, not pop tarts either, then yo may be onto the right place.

interview, Interview, INTERVIEW. Put as much into this (or more) as you would in a job search - these are YOUR KIDS we are talking about.

...and don't get me started about the one day care center that left (locked) a kid in a room, and left for the day. where is the care in that?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.