HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Accotink Creek and Trout Fishing in Fairfax
Posted by: Fishing Fred ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:47PM

Have seen a lotta folks fishing on Accotink Creek.(Under 236 overpass near Beltway) Apparently Trout Unlimited and the Accotink Friends, or Assocation of Accotink have partnered up, to put Brook and other trout in these waters. Anyone have any luck here catching fish, or know about these efforts? I did see signs about this saying artificial lures only. Is that because of the new reintroduction, and eventually live bait will be allowed? Thanks for any heads up, and hoping there are some big trout in there to catch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accotink Creek and Trout Fishing in Fairfax
Posted by: mike9723 ()
Date: November 09, 2011 02:48PM

I have fished there before. You can only use artificial baits, not sure why, but plenty of signs that say this. It is a pretty good place to fish, you can wade in the water. I have not been there since they started the hot lanes project so not sure what the area is like now. You can park at a little league baseball field at the SW side of the beltway and 236 and walk down to the creek from there.

Date: November 09, 2011 03:02PM

Thank you Mike.

Do you know what types of trout are in there, and are you using artificial worms or spinners? Caught or seen any decent sized trout? I've yet to be up North and catch I think its called the Lake Trout that's Rockfish sized, but was wondering how your luck down here has been. Glad to see Trout Unlimited and the community there are bringing back these fish.

Posted by: Mike9723 ()
Date: November 09, 2011 08:11PM

Well I know that is is stocked a couple times a year. I think it coincides with the time that they stock the lower dam of lake accotink, which is on the other side of brad dock road if you didn't know. As far as the species honestly I do not remember but the biggest one I think I saw were in the 12 " range maybe 14" but nothing big. These fish are non native and I think die off as the water temp rises. There is a footbridge just 200 yards to the north of the little league field that they hide around. I was sight fishing the entire time i was there.

Nothing remotely close to the size of a rockfish.

Posted by: Confused Fisherman ()
Date: November 09, 2011 08:19PM

Lemme get this straight...I get that you can't use live bait in Accotink Lake as it's posted as such. However, one is ALSO not allowed to use live bait in Accotink CREEK under the 236 overpass as indicated by the OP?

Posted by: LL Beaner ()
Date: November 09, 2011 08:23PM

Hey Meatheads. They try to encourage fly fishing for these stockers. Otherwise the meat fisherman will catch them all in a matter of days, specifically, the fucking beaners and gooks using a coke can with string wrapped around it.

Posted by: Mike9723 ()
Date: November 09, 2011 08:24PM

Not sure what op is but there are signs posted all along the creek with rules and regs. I mean you can probably get away with a net if you are that desperate for some trout. I have never seen a game warden down there.

Posted by: Tyrone ()
Date: November 10, 2011 12:18AM

Accotink is delayed harvest. Spend some time reading the rules and regs on the VDGIF website.

That said...no, there are no trout. None at all. Don't both wasting time. No trout to be caught. None. Go away.

Date: November 10, 2011 04:39AM

Thanks Mike, yeah, I'll give it a try in some waders, as most of my fishing is of the ol' bass and catfish variety, but another species to add, would be great. The one trout I've caught, a Rainbow, I'll give it credit, for its size it had a lot of fight. Hopefully one of these trout released, will be able to survive the temps here, and become that monster.

Posted by: 236 ()
Date: November 14, 2011 04:04PM

I live in the neighborhood where the entrance to the park and trail are...I've never seen any trout or signs of any life beside tiny minnows in that creek. I do find tons of trash and chem slicks tho.

Posted by: jr the tall 1 ()
Date: November 22, 2011 07:14PM

if you want to catch fish to eat go to cook lake or lake fairfax during open season, delayed harvest streams are for sport. The man does patrol and catch violators in Fx. Co., get your permits...

so if anyone wants to sport fish for trout, DON'T KILL THE FISH, DON'T MAKE NOISE, DON'T LEAVE TRASH, enjoy the stream and happy fishing,

if you dont know how to catch trout...go to lake fairfax this winter or cook lake now and do what the other fishermen are doing ...you will catch on quick if you know fishin.

if T or I see you on accotink with a net and fish we might throw your gear in the creek and duct tape you to a tree in your skivvies or somthing.....?

remember.............. there are no fish in accotink........ dont go>>>dont go<<<<DONT

Posted by: Fisherman ()
Date: November 22, 2011 07:24PM

fuck you, I'll go fish wherever I want to, without any bullshit license nor permits.

Posted by: ENOUGH WITH FISHING DRAMA ()
Date: November 22, 2011 07:47PM

ENOUGH drama over this park. I have not been there in months. It is a good place for serious local hikers and those who want, need to stay in shape. Fishing? Forget it folks. The park rangers seem not to give a hoot of the health and condition of the water. Sad but, a true fact.

GO FISHING in clean water folks. NOT polluted ponds.

Just saying folks.

Posted by: F-this area ()
Date: November 22, 2011 07:48PM

the fuckin beaners go at night and net the fish, or during the day and hook em with a 4 point deal. Ruin it for everyone.

Fucking illegal spics...ban the illegal hispanic locust!

Posted by: matt88 ()
Date: January 23, 2015 02:09PM

the fishing used to be alot better used to catch alot of bass and cats before the drained the lake. when they restocked the lake i pulled out some big bass. the past year hasnt been all that great. i have to agree the hispanics dont buy licenses they net fish and take even the smallest of bluegills. If you love this lake you need take action and call these peoples out otherwise pedro is gonna take mucho pescado home to maria so we have nothing.

Posted by: NS 13 ()
Date: January 23, 2015 09:04PM

If you are not a little kid or a very old fisherman you should leave those fish alone.

Posted by: Wiggas with attitudes ()
Date: July 30, 2016 01:31AM

Look ive been trout fishing there about 5 times and caught 3 trout (dont worry i put them back) but recently there is no trout to be found. I understand that the beaners take all the fish but hey you white folks are being outfished by the beaners

Posted by: Wiggas with attitude #2 ()
Date: September 18, 2016 10:12PM

Listen you bunch of morons! Learn to spell before you make derogatory comments about the "beaners"!!! Like Wigga with attitude said, you're being out fished by people that according to you don't belong there,or in this country. What don't you go suck on Trump's junk. That probably make you feel better. Better yet, go back to your red neck communities where you'll feel right at home. It's people like yourselves that ruin communities neighborhoods and eventually the world! Grow up ignorants!

Posted by: golden trout ()
Date: September 19, 2016 08:23AM

Wiggas with attitudes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Look ive been trout fishing there about 5 times
> and caught 3 trout (dont worry i put them back)
> but recently there is no trout to be found. I
> understand that the beaners take all the fish but
> hey you white folks are being outfished by the
> beaners

Old thread and complete lie by Wiggas. The trout stocked in the spring cannot live thru june in the warm still water of the creek or the lake. Most survive the longest below the damn because of the higher oxygen levels but those waters could never support trout for more than a short period in warm weather. When the kids were little we went down when the trucks were releasing the beautiful trout. We caught one golden trout and took it home and ate it.

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: October 16, 2017 02:01PM

Here are some videos of people fishing for trout at Accotink Creek:

"Lure fishing #2, Accotink Creek trout fishing" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReMvRSTSUIY

"Panfishing At Accotink Creek" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUDXIPBfYlw

"Accotink Creek Bass Fishing Tournament" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_hgIDnmyeE

Posted by: Fishing in the kings waters ()
Date: October 19, 2017 05:08PM

The trout get fished out in the first couple days. They make you wear a bracelet like $10 or something. My opinion is this is fine because it costs money to stock the lake. Native fish shouldn't require a license unless you're a commercial fisherman. Hunting and fishing are a natural right imho it's the big commercial operations that rape the water to death. And pollution. Just my 2 cents

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.