HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Registering a New Car
Posted by: Native ()
Date: January 29, 2008 06:46PM

I have just purschased a vehicle from Maryland with a Maryland title. I have just registered the vehicle today and got the tags but they only gave me registration for 30 days. I understand that I have 30 days to get the emissions done and renew the registration. I was just wondering how long do I have to get the car inspected(before it becomes a traffic offense issue)? The car has valid DC inspection but no Virginia. Thanks for any help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Registering a New Car
Posted by: duh ()
Date: January 29, 2008 07:17PM

There is no grace period to get the Safety Inspection...as soon as you hang those plates on the car, you can be ticketed for no Va inspection.

Posted by: native ()
Date: January 30, 2008 12:19PM

ouch!

Posted by: duh ()
Date: January 30, 2008 07:44PM

native Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ouch!

I think it's a liability thing for the State.

The law couldn't very well state that a citizen may operate an uninspected vehicle for 30 days. What if the vehicle had faulty brakes and you wrecked? You know people would then be sueing the State on the grounds that the State allowed them to legally drive a dangerous car for 30 days.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 30, 2008 09:43PM

what you are supposed to do is tow the car to the inspection place. That way you wont be ticketed.

Posted by: native ()
Date: January 30, 2008 09:58PM

Isn't the ticket cheaper then the tow bill? Even if you get pulled over I am sure there is a way to talk yourself out of it or at least get it dismissed.
I am just waiting for the part to come across(ebay, junkyard, craigslist ect ect). The front bracket that holds one of the head lights is broken and I had it taped down to move the vehicle home but they wouldn't pass me . Anyways I am trying to find a bracket from a junkyard since any parts places sell them together with the light assembly ONLY and wouldn't part it and it runs between $380-$550 depends on where you get it.

Posted by: . ()
Date: January 30, 2008 10:26PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what you are supposed to do is tow the car to the
> inspection place. That way you wont be ticketed.

No. The correct method would be to submit the vehicle for inspection while it still had valid Maryland temporary plates on it PRIOR to registering it in Virginia. No need to tow it anywhere.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 31, 2008 07:23PM

Yeah, i just made that up to see if anyone would believe it.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.