HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Indian relics/arrowheads
Posted by: Powhatan ()
Date: November 03, 2011 01:00AM

I doubt this thread will get much return...

but has anyone knowledge of good locations to find indian pottery and arrowheads...

I used to find them all the time on creek beds where I used to live....its been difficult since I moved to Northern Virginia...

Any information appreciated.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Indian relics/arrowheads
Posted by: hmm ()
Date: November 03, 2011 01:44AM

try manaassass battle field

where did you used to live?

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: November 03, 2011 01:50AM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2013 09:56AM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Powhatan ()
Date: November 03, 2011 02:37AM

Thanks-- I do believe in and around the creeks of Clifton are a good place to look..I've actually hunted hard around the shallow river area of the Occoquan reservoir, near hemlock...but I could not find a thing.

I grew up in the south east..(north florida/south Ga/Lower Alabama) You can walk along any old river bank and find pottery/arrowheads. Its just a fun hobby of mine.

Posted by: Hey there ()
Date: November 03, 2011 09:38AM

About 20 years ago, I was climbing up one of those steep hills next to Bull Run in the Hemlock area.
I slipped and got jabbed in the back of the leg when I fell.
I felt the blood soaking my pants.
I reached down to pull what I thought was a stick from my leg.
Turns out, it was a rusty old blade of a bayonet.
I was the last freaking casualty of the Civil War.
Can I get some kind of compensation?
An apology?

Posted by: Railroad ()
Date: November 03, 2011 12:05PM

Did ya keep the bayonet?!

Posted by: doug seamster ()
Date: March 28, 2012 08:55PM

The beach area along the Potomac at Leesylvania State Park in Prince William County. Have found hundreds over the past 30 years. Everything from bird points, punches, tools and several large spear points, to a Flintlock rifle firing flint that had been handworked. I donated a large amount to the park when it opened and they were carbon-dated by the research team in Jamestown a number of years ago. They dated in age from several hundred to 10,000 yEARS AGO. I was disappointed when only a few were actually put on display at the Park. They are harder to find now since the park opened but i still occasionally find one or two. Fall and winter are my favorite times to walk and search. Also after storms of course.

Posted by: Arrowhead ()
Date: March 29, 2012 06:52AM

Tidal potomac tributaries, walk dry creek beds, I found one myself near pohick regional park, stunning!

That will be your best bet, the Indians that use to live in fairfax county lived and travled along river systems. flood plains and edges of flood plains are most productive because of the repetitive disturbance of the top soil and so on a natural grate if you will.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
EdMnv
This forum powered by Phorum.