HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
A County Income Tax
Posted by: Bill Wood ()
Date: September 16, 2005 10:02PM

Ken Plum, 36th District Delegate has proposed a County Income Tax. If you are opposed to this, please visit www.donnyferguson.com and give Donny your support.

In the 67th District visit Chuch Eby's site, www.EBY2005.com

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A County Income Tax
Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: September 17, 2005 01:42AM

Don't we already have a county income tax with those Fairfax county stickers we're required to get for our vehicles????

Posted by: bizkit ()
Date: September 17, 2005 04:44AM

Naw ... That's the county "personal property" tax. Sounds like they're looking for a whole new way to stick it to ya .. big surprise.

Posted by: udonnome ()
Date: September 17, 2005 05:08PM

if the county taxes me anymore I AM going to throw my feces at a cop. They'll get a bodily fluids facial cocktail missle.

Posted by: dude ()
Date: September 18, 2005 10:09AM

I think that it's high time that everyone pay their fair share to support the poorest among us.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 18, 2005 12:40PM

Agreed... I pay four grand a year in real estate taxes because I saved my money when I was younger and bought a house, as opposed to the renters who didn't. They live in the same size place, probably make the same money that I do, and don't pay four grand a year. I feel proud to pay all that money when the other guy doesn't have to.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 18, 2005 01:02PM

pgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agreed... I pay four grand a year in real estate
> taxes because I saved my money when I was younger
> and bought a house, as opposed to the renters who
> didn't. They live in the same size place,
> probably make the same money that I do, and don't
> pay four grand a year. I feel proud to pay all
> that money when the other guy doesn't have to.

oh come now... if we dont shell out mad cash, who is going to pay for that chopper, the SUVs(why the hell do the cops have SUVs?), the fancy courthouses, inane construction projects, and the gold that lines their pockets? even if they could, taxing the entire state excluding us wouldnt get them the money. gotta feel bad for those guys that have to settle for silver lined pockets. if we had intelligent leaders, they wouldnt be called politicians would they?... no, they would be called people with common sense and a sence of ethics.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: bizkit ()
Date: September 19, 2005 08:06AM

Sounds like pgens bought the one house in the county that hasn't doubled in resale value over the last 4 years. The taxes suck, but I'd bet you're still better off than the renters that have no equity to show for their $$$.

Any real discussion of wasteful spending in Fairfax has to include the schools, which suck up about 52% of the total county budget. Police, Fire and Sheriffs combined only make up about 11% of the budget ... and I have no idea why the cops need SUV's.

Date: September 22, 2005 07:37AM

Right... I bought about eight years ago and it has tripled its resale value. And yeah, I guess one could say I am better off than renters who have no equity because I made home ownership a financial priority and saved and put myself in that position while others bought nicer cars and nicer clothes. However in general I believe that just because I bought a house and my next door neighbor is renting doesn't mean I should shoulder the burden of paying for county services and he shouldn't. If he and I call the cops on the same night, it's not like they guarantee they'll be at my place within five minutes because I pay more while they only guarantee him response within thirty minutes because he doesn't.

If a county-wide 1% income tax _replaced_ the real estate tax (or cut it by 75% or something like that) I would support it. You are right about waste and budget bloat in this county, shit look at their headquarters. I don't think the county needs any more money, but I would be in favor of evening out the burden of paying for it.

Date: September 22, 2005 12:34PM

We need an income tax so we can pay for driving all the drunks home.

Date: September 22, 2005 12:47PM

This is frigging richville. What the hell kind of people live here. Better that you should have your friggin SUVs than other people should eat. I'd like to see a 25% marginal tax rate on the richest people in the county.

Date: September 22, 2005 01:47PM

The problem with this is the definition of "rich". The median household income in Fairfax County is around $75,000. That would be considered "rich" to 95% of the other counties in the USA. However at that income one can't qualify for a conventional loan for much more than a small apartment.

dude: why are you saying that buying an SUV takes away food from others? If you look at the stream of people that get money from a SUV purchase (salesman, dealership overhead employees, factory workers, VA state via tax, etc), money is going into people's pockets, not out. If I went to a dealership today and bought a Ford Explorer, who will not be eating tomorrow as a result of that purchase?

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: September 22, 2005 02:06PM

dude is saying that instead of buying the "expensive" SUV, you should have bought a Kia and donated the difference to the basket case (oops I mean charity) of your choice.

Posted by: Me ()
Date: October 05, 2005 04:37PM

Gravis Wrote:
> (why the hell do the cops have SUVs?)

Special units and parts of the police department use SUVs because of their increased size.
-Motor Vehicle Enforcement officers (I believe there are 7 in Fairfax County) carry truck scales in their SUVs.
-Members of the SWAT team carry many weapons and SWAT gear in their SUVs.
-Members of the gang, narcotics, and other related units need to carry multiple officers in addition to equipment. In addition, they need vehicles that don't tip off gang members, and drug dealers that there are cops around the moment that they're in the area
-Crime Scene investigators also carry alot of specialized equipment that is better stored in a SUV
-Patrol officers also have marked pickup trucks that they can use. I believe that there is one of these at each station.

Off topic to the original topic, I know, but I hope that this sheds a little light on the use of SUVs in the Fairfax County Police Department.

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: October 05, 2005 06:45PM

Who even said this money is going to the police? You're just assuming that all of it goes there. Would you think of it differently if it was a school tax? Nobody knows what the tax is for, or how it's planned on being spent.

The only information given is the opponet's website, without any way of making an educated decision on whether or not the tax is good. I'm not exactly happy about the prospect of paying more taxes, but really feel as if I should know facts before I start running around yelling and screaming about another tax.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: October 05, 2005 07:32PM

Matt Wrote:

> Who even said this money is going to the police?
> You're just assuming that all of it goes there.

What the hell are you talking about? did you not see "the fancy courthouses, inane construction projects, and the gold that lines their pockets?" those cost tons of money, literally.

> Would you think of it differently if it was a school tax?

i wouldnt feel differently for good reason. the schools invest in brandspanking new computers every few year to run the SAME PROGRAMS. not to mention the majority of the money is spent sending microsoft a big fat check for both software and especially support. windows administration is a complete bitch when you have viruses coming out weekly and users who fuck up the box because there are little or no restictions(public schools are bad with security). if you ask me, they should switch to a STABLE platform. i personally would suggest a distrobution of linux that uses "wine" to run windows programs that cannot be replaced. as for your basic ms office shit, there is a very good free clone that is almost identical in everyway (except that damn clippy bastard). there is so much availible that is of equal or high quality and it's free! while you still have administration costs, it would be significantly less. dont worry though... newer is ALWAYS better. *cough*Windows XP*cough* i hate when the techonologically retarded are in charge of technology purchases which on the state level, is ALWAYS.

> Nobody knows what the tax is for, or how it's planned on being spent.
i believe they make something called a BUDGET and guess what? it's publically availible.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Tax rate ()
Date: December 06, 2013 11:14PM

So what is the county income tax rate?

Posted by: Don't Tax Me Bro ()
Date: December 07, 2013 07:04AM

So far there is no local income tax for Fairfax County and many neighboring northern Virginia jurisdictions.

This local income taxing authority actually already exists in Virginia law, but there is an important condition -- for it to go into effect it must first be approved by a public referendum.

In 2013 there was a Virginia General Assembly bill that would have eliminated that referendum requirement. This would have had the effect of allowing a new income tax to be imposed simply by the local city council or local board of supervisors passing a new ordinance.

The Va Senate passed this. The Virginia House of Delegates killed the bill, so it is not law.

Posted by: Sharon B ()
Date: December 07, 2013 07:13AM

We need this new revenue if we are to keep out friends from the south in luxury condos.

Posted by: mr.bean ()
Date: December 07, 2013 08:07AM

Sanctuary city baby, the county has got bills to pay and illgals to edumacate, shut up and pay my bills!

Posted by: Section_8_Sharon ()
Date: December 08, 2013 07:47PM

Don't Tax Me Bro Wrote:
> So far there is no local income tax for Fairfax
> County and many neighboring northern Virginia
> jurisdictions.
>
> This local income taxing authority actually
> already exists in Virginia law, but there is an
> important condition -- for it to go into effect it
> must first be approved by a public referendum.
>
> In 2013 there was a Virginia General Assembly bill
> that would have eliminated that referendum
> requirement. This would have had the effect of
> allowing a new income tax to be imposed simply by
> the local city council or local board of
> supervisors passing a new ordinance.
>
> The Va Senate passed this. The Virginia House of
> Delegates killed the bill, so it is not law.

And let me guess, the NoVa Dem delegate ass clowns all supported this, right?

Posted by: GMU89 ()
Date: December 08, 2013 08:45PM

I'd be all for it. A progressive income tax is the fairest tax there is.

Posted by: Eat the rich ()
Date: December 08, 2013 08:52PM

GMU89 Wrote:
> I'd be all for it. A progressive income tax is
> the fairest tax there is.

It's not 'fair' at all.

The the usual justification is only because that's where the money is.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: December 09, 2013 12:44AM

pgens Wrote:
> Agreed... I pay four grand a year in real estate
> taxes because I saved my money when I was younger
> and bought a house, as opposed to the renters who
> didn't. They live in the same size place,
> probably make the same money that I do, and don't
> pay four grand a year. I feel proud to pay all
> that money when the other guy doesn't have to.

(Yes, I know I'm responding to an 8 year old post)

Renters don't directly pay property tax, but they do pay them indirectly through higher rents. Their landlords pay the same property tax you do. If we eliminated property tax, your monthly PITI would lower (well... I guess it would just be PII), and their rent would also correspondingly fall.

I'll leave it for the real economists to argue over the exact numbers, but it's probably close to a wash overall.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.