HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Group Links Gang Activity in Va. to Illegal Immigrants
Posted by: Who'd a thunk it? ()
Date: January 25, 2008 03:09PM

What a shocking surprise.....

---------------

Group Links Gang Activity in Va. to Illegal Immigrants
Study Links Illegal Residents to Much of Activity in Va.

By Theresa Vargas
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 25, 2008; B01

Illegal immigrants are responsible for much of the gang activity in Virginia, and the relationship among local, state and federal law enforcement agencies should be strengthened to better address the problem, according to a study by a Washington think tank that advocates limits on immigration.

The Center for Immigration Studies has not released its 250-page report examining the relationship between illegal immigration and gang activity in the state, but representatives released several findings yesterday. The group plans to look at the issue on a national scale, but officials said it seemed logical to start in Virginia.

"Virginia is one of the states where there has been intense interest in addressing the illegal immigration problem, particularly the problem of illegal immigration and crime," said Jessica Vaughan, the lead investigator for the project. "It just seemed like a perfect case study."

The study found that 25 to 50 percent of gang members in Northern Virginia and western parts of the state are believed to be deportable immigrants. Vaughan said that because data varied by jurisdictions, the finding was based mostly on interviews with law enforcement agencies, with Rockingham County officials giving the lower estimate and Fairfax County officials the higher one.

Vaughan, who started gathering data last February, said one of the most surprising findings was the disparity in how different jurisdictions are addressing the issue.

In November, the Northern Virginia Regional Gang Task Force issued a progress report that said gang crime was decreasing across the region and cooperation between federal immigration officials and local law enforcement was increasing.

According to the task force, gang crime, not including graffiti, was down 33 percent in 2006. It fell 18 percent in the first half of last year. The task force referred 53 people who were arrested to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in 2006, and at least 84 suspects were referred to ICE in the first half of last year.

Vaughan said that although Northern Virginia has been highly successful in tackling gang activity, with the task force working closely with ICE, communities to the south and west have much less contact with federal immigration officials. Like air in a balloon, she said, if gang members are squeezed out of the area and are not deported or jailed, they will go elsewhere.

"Despite the success in Northern Virginia, much of the state is really unprepared on how to handle this problem," Vaughn said. "That's the finding that we have that should be of most concern to Virginia lawmakers."

Among the study's other findings was that immigration enforcement officers have arrested more members of the gang Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13, in Virginia than in any other ICE jurisdiction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Group Links Gang Activity in Va. to Illegal Immigrants
Date: January 25, 2008 03:11PM

left off last sentence (and an important one in my mind)...

Of the 341 gang members arrested by ICE in the state between February 2005 and September 2007, almost 80 percent were members of MS-13, the study found. Gang investigators estimate that 90 percent of the members of that gang are illegal immigrants, the study said.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 25, 2008 03:17PM

FAIRFAXUNDERGROUND stock thread #004

Posted by: careful ()
Date: January 30, 2008 12:36PM

Careful! A certain person who always appears and stirs up crap is going to call you a dirty racist for posting the facts. Prepare for his post late into the night and full of unemployed hatred.

And Ms. Vargas, the reporter, she must be a dirty racist too. Wow who would have believed there are ties between gangs and immigrants. Oops, I must be a dirty racist too. Even gang members need love, just not from us.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: January 30, 2008 02:18PM

refer to the wiki, while you are at it why dont you post about tinted windows, recklass driving advice, high school redistricting as well!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2008 02:19PM by ferfux.

Posted by: Connection? ()
Date: January 30, 2008 03:01PM

Residents Advise Legislators
Transportation, immigration span range of measures introduced in General Assembly.
Mirza Kurspahic
January 16, 2008
http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=92421&paper=71&cat=104

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION was another prominent topic on Saturday, with discussions ranging from incarceration to public education. Herndon resident Beth Hardesty asked Rust and Howell to urge legislators in Richmond to grant in-state tuition eligibility to undocumented students applying for studies in Virginia’s colleges and universities. "We support them K-12," said Hardesty, adding that cutting them off and denying undocumented students access to college education is counterproductive to the efforts of supporting their education through high school. She said granting access to college education would develop contributing members to this society.

Rust argued that an executive order signed in 1996 by former President Bill Clinton makes it impossible for Virginia, or any other state, to make exceptions for undocumented students for in-state tuition eligibility. If the exception was made for undocumented students, it would have to be made for all students, argued Rust. "Until the federal law is changed, I and Attorney General are both in agreement, nothing can be done," he said.

Howell said Rust’s assertions were open to interpretations.

She said she met a number of seniors at South Lakes High School during a

Veterans Day lesson in November who asked her to make it possible for them to

attend college. "I do not want these young people to have their dreams dashed,

to have angry young people on the streets," said Howell.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 30, 2008 06:58PM

Herndon resident Beth Hardesty asked Rust and Howell to urge legislators in Richmond to grant in-state tuition eligibility to undocumented students applying for studies in Virginia’s colleges and universities.

what about all the actual citizens that have to work to pay to go to college because they dont get minority (racist) grants? fuck them, they can work just like everyone else.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: January 30, 2008 09:06PM

"Group Links Gang Activity in Va. to Illegal Immigrants"

Next thing you know they will link African-Americans to black-on-black violence.

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: February 02, 2008 01:12PM

Another shocker...It has been determined that most white collar crime in VA is caused by highly educated WASP citizens of the US! Nail the bastards!

Posted by: jack of all trades ()
Date: February 02, 2008 01:16PM

"She said she met a number of seniors at South Lakes High School during a

Veterans Day lesson in November who asked her to make it possible for them to

attend college. "I do not want these young people to have their dreams dashed,

to have angry young people on the streets," said Howell."

I hear the University of Mexico city has open enrollment next month. Freaking liberals.

Date: February 02, 2008 01:24PM

jack of all trades Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "She said she met a number of seniors at South
> Lakes High School during a
>
> Veterans Day lesson in November who asked her to
> make it possible for them to
>
> attend college. "I do not want these young people
> to have their dreams dashed,
>
> to have angry young people on the streets," said
> Howell."
>
>
> I hear the University of Mexico city has open
> enrollment next month. Freaking liberals.

Jack...afraid to compete?

Posted by: Vince ()
Date: February 02, 2008 01:44PM

Actually all the illegals need to be rounded up and summarily booted out of the county - let the nice NeoLibs in Maryland have them.

Date: February 02, 2008 03:51PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> Another shocker...It has been determined that most
> white collar crime in VA is caused by highly
> educated WASP citizens of the US! Nail the
> bastards!

do you have some stats? also, what is the ratio of WASPs to minorities? please try to be objective. i agree though, all criminals should be tried and judged equally.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: February 02, 2008 08:21PM

Gravis Wrote:
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Another shocker...It has been determined that
> most
> > white collar crime in VA is caused by highly
> > educated WASP citizens of the US! Nail the
> > bastards!
>
> do you have some stats? also, what is the ratio
> of WASPs to minorities? please try to be
> objective. i agree though, all criminals should
> be tried and judged equally.

When any one on here starts to address the illegal immigrant issue in anything but an hysterical manner....I'll site my sources. White collar criminals like those responsible for the Enron and mortgage collapses are in my opinion much more criminally culpable for their behavior then any illegal immigrant. Yet we always seem to be ready to forgive those higher then us on the economic scale and damn those below us.

Date: February 02, 2008 09:10PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> When any one on here starts to address the illegal
> immigrant issue in anything but an hysterical
> manner....I'll site my sources.

my post was anything but hysterical. seriously, your excuse is a huge cop-out. to be honest, i dont think you have any stats to backup your claims. i have not even disputed your claim, i simply asked for stats.

i am quite willing to listen to what you have to say as long as you have facts to back them up.

Date: February 03, 2008 07:12AM

Here you go Gravis...just because I like you.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/whitecollarforweb.pdf

Date: February 03, 2008 11:42PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> Here you go Gravis...just because I like you.

unfortunately, that says very little and gives no stats in relation to race. i tried a little to find related stats but cant seem to find it. im sorry but you lack information to back up your claim. btw, stat numbers are far more telling than descriptive summaries.

im not rejecting your claim, that pdf just doesnt contain the information needed.

Date: February 04, 2008 10:59AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> Gravis Wrote:
> -----
> > Vince(1) Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Another shocker...It has been determined that
> > most
> > > white collar crime in VA is caused by highly
> > > educated WASP citizens of the US! Nail the
> > > bastards!
> >
> > do you have some stats? also, what is the
> ratio
> > of WASPs to minorities? please try to be
> > objective. i agree though, all criminals
> should
> > be tried and judged equally.
>
>
> When any one on here starts to address the illegal
> immigrant issue in anything but an hysterical
> manner....I'll site my sources. White collar
> criminals like those responsible for the Enron and
> mortgage collapses are in my opinion much more
> criminally culpable for their behavior then any
> illegal immigrant. Yet we always seem to be ready
> to forgive those higher then us on the economic
> scale and damn those below us.

Another red herring by Vince. Apples and oranges. I say sentence the white collar as harshly as the illegal immigrant. Why is it you deflect the facts with bogus arguments about white collar criminals. I, for one, am not going to let you abscure the real issue at hand.

Posted by: Movin on ()
Date: February 13, 2008 08:37PM

Which county is more successful at dealing with (driving away?) illegals... Loudoun or Prince William?

Posted by: anonymous ()
Date: February 13, 2008 10:19PM

Who was here first, the "immigrants", or most of the "Americans" of today. I say this is their land just as much if not more than it is ours.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: February 13, 2008 11:11PM

Movin on Wrote:
> Which county is more successful at dealing with
> (driving away?) illegals... Loudoun or Prince
> William?

And which county is experiencing the biggest drop in property values because of the bad press?

Posted by: Former PWC resident ()
Date: February 14, 2008 09:29AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> Movin on Wrote:
> -----
> > Which county is more successful at dealing with
> > (driving away?) illegals... Loudoun or Prince
> > William?
>
> And which county is experiencing the biggest drop
> in property values because of the bad press?

Yeah, it's bad press. It has nothing to do with the fact that easy credit was extended to legal and illegal immigrants who could not normally afford to buy a home. It has everything to do with a crackdown and illegals and nothing to do with those same people not being able to make their mortgage payments. The downturn started before the crackdown and will continue until those who couldn't afford homes in the first place leave and the market readjusts itself with responsible homeowners.

Posted by: Movin On ()
Date: February 14, 2008 11:03PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> And which county is experiencing the biggest drop
> in property values because of the bad press?

Which County? I really do want to know.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.