HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mayor Fenty to entice the Redskins back into the District
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 25, 2008 12:59PM

Caught this in the news today and it's been buzzing around the office. Fenty & Co. have an agenda to get the Skins back into DC. Supposedly the "plan" includes a brand new 100,000 seat stadium near where RFK is. This would be a domed stadium, enabling it to host Super Bowls. I think this sounds like a crazy idea. FedEx is barely over 10 years old, and DC just built a new stadium, plus the United want to build their own facility. I like the idea of teams playing in the city they are named for, but sometimes I think this town is off it's rocker.

I bet that Super Bowl idea has Snyder's mouth watering....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mayor Fenty to entice the Redskins back into the District
Posted by: cros ()
Date: January 25, 2008 01:12PM

Sounds crazy... doesn't snyder own fedex? doesn't the feds own the RFK land?

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: January 25, 2008 01:32PM

Fed Ex Field is horrible! The Skins rarely win there and is not easy to get in and out of.
Danny's been thinking of a new stadium and super bowl for years. Have you seen Dallas's new stadium?
I'm all for building a new stadium, but not a dome. The Skins bring in more money in one season than any baseball team does in 10 years, especially losers like the Nats. Do you know what a clusterfuck the Nats stadium will be? 4000 parking places for 40,000 fans. Have fun.

Date: January 25, 2008 01:32PM

The land occupied by RFK is owned by the District of Columbia, not the feds.

Snyder does own FedEx. Didn't even think of that... who the heck would he sell it to?

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: January 25, 2008 01:46PM

Depending on the package - he might take it. But I doubt a suitable package could be presented to him. Danny is a cheap person but a wise investor. Offer him a free stadium and he might go for it. Then it would never pass muster with the DC City Council and Ms. Homes Norton.

Lot 6 at RFK was always the preferred site of the new stadium, but it would have encroached on a golf course and that was very tricky politically.

This new deal Fenty may be speaking of could have flown if, and a big ONLY IF, DC was still a viable option for the 2012 Olympic Games. A tragegy DC was eliminated!

And remember when they closed down DC General a few years ago? Interestingly DC was still a viable option for 2012 then and preliminary plans showed the DC General site as the home for the Archery event...

Date: January 25, 2008 02:20PM

Numbers Wrote:
>Fed Ex Field is horrible!

I have seen games in 8 different NFL stadiums, and rank FedEx at the bottom of my list.

> and is not easy to get in and out of.

I'd go so far to describe it as "a total fucking disaster".

Posted by: Taco Bill ()
Date: January 25, 2008 04:00PM

DC is a 100% better place than PG. Lots of mass transit options and because of parking people will use it to get there. In PG people have to leave Virginia at 9 a.m. just to make a 1 p.m. game. Plus the seating just plain sucks.

DC will use it during the times when the Skins are not playing for other events. Beleive it or not I actually feel safer in DC than PG these days.

Posted by: GAD ()
Date: January 25, 2008 08:48PM

Fenty is a media whore who runs to every crime scene. His entire senior staff has resigned - he must be a real treat to work for. He then takes over the pathetic and out of control schools - like he doesn't have enough on his plate.

This proposal for the stadium is a total waste of time. He's just trying to curry favor with his gullible voting base. He ought to focus his efforts on controlling the roving hoodlums that terrorize Southeast hijacking and murdering every thing they see.

Posted by: this just in ()
Date: January 25, 2008 08:48PM

Fenty is a cock gobbling fag. He could give a rat's ass about the redskins.
He does like tight ends though.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: January 26, 2008 09:30AM

Taco Bill Wrote:

>
> DC will use it during the times when the Skins are
> not playing for other events. Beleive it or not I
> actually feel safer in DC than PG these days.

Any football stadiun is lucky to get non football events a year. The fact is, it not used for anything but football durring the football season. That leaves the late winter, spring and summer to hold events.

Late winter, usually too cold for most outdoor events. Spring you have your monster truck shows and religious crusades. Summer is generally for music concerts.

The fact is there are never enough events to cover more than 12 days out of the rest of the year. Actually, most stadiums have 6 or fewer events.

Of course the can book high school/college graduations and garden shows. But these do not make money and their are plenty of smaller and cheaper venues competing for that business.

Posted by: BoB ()
Date: January 26, 2008 12:38PM

A dome stadium would be horrible! I understand the city wants to host a superbowl, but a dome stadium would take away the feel of the game. Think about that Green Bay vs. Seahawks game a few weeks ago. Didn't that look awesome?!? Football games in the snow are priceless! FedEx Feild is ugly and pretty dumb but a dome stadium would take away from the feel of the game! The city really needs to focus and get on the ball with the new D.C. United stadium. D.C. united is the BEST team in MLS history, and has won the most titles. Losing D.C. united would make me sick to my stomach. D.C. United deserves their own state of the art stadium and a little more RESPECT!!! DAMN!!!!

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: January 27, 2008 12:44PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Snyder does own FedEx. Didn't even think of
> that... who the heck would he sell it to?

The DC City Council.

Think about it. No way in Hell Snyder will move the team to DC if he has that liability. But if DC bought FedEx Field and then sold the land to a developer (at a huge loss, by the way), that could entice Snyder to move.

Regardless, Snyder doesn't deserve shit from anyone until he gets his head out of his ass and figures out how to not fuck up his team every few years.

Posted by: A ()
Date: January 27, 2008 01:25PM

What gets me is that there was a great site for Redskins over at the old rail yard in Alexandria. Then Gov. Wilder high tailed it after the snobs in Old Town opposed the stadium. Now the congestion in that area is horrendous.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.