HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Bunnyman Bridge Conspiracy
Posted by: Conspiracy Theory ()
Date: October 30, 2011 01:12PM

The Bunnyman Bridge Conspiracy
http://bmbconspiracy.blogspot.com/2005/06/story-of-bunny-man-bridge-fictional.html

The purpose of this document is solely to inform the public of the events surrounding the story of the Bunnyman Bridge, whether they be true or false.

The Story of Bunny Man Bridge (fictional)

1903:
The post-civil war population of the Clifton area creates the need for a petition that will relocate an asylum kept deep within the woods of Clifton Virginia.

1904:
Convicts are transported by bus from the aforementioned asylum to a new facility; know in the present day as Lorton Prison. One of the buses swerves off the road, thus allowing the convicts to escape. All are captured with the exception of two individuals: Marcus A. Wallster and Douglas J. Griffon. Disemboweled rabbits begin to show up in the surrounding woods of Clifton where the two convicts are supposedly residing. Initially, Marcus A. Wallster is deemed the "Bunny Man", that is until he is found dead. The cause of death is unknown due to the lack of interest by local officials. He is found with a makeshift tool resembling a hatchet. This tool is made with a sharpened rock and strong tree branch. After Walster is found dead, Douglas J. Griffon is dubbed the "Bunny Man".

1905:
April 7, 1905:
Police give up searching for Griffon because of the decrease in dead rabbits in the surrounding areas. People begin to believe that Griffon has either moved on or has died. As autumn approaches there is a reappearance of the disemboweled rabbit carcasses. October 31, 1905: Two boys and one girl are killed at a bridge used by the crossing railroad located between modern day Fairfax Station and Clifton. They are killed at approximately 12:00 AM with wounds to the throat and chest. The bodies are then disemboweled and hung at the entrance and exit of the bridge. The two boys are hung by their necks at one end, and the girl is hung in the same manner at the other end.

1906:
The name "Bunny Man Bridge" is now adopted as the name of the bridge at which the murders of the 3 people had taken place the prior year. It is believed that Douglas J. Griffon still inhabits the woods and is responsible for the killings, though there is not hard evidence to suggest this. October 31, 1906: Seven teenagers venture out to the bridge again around 11 PM. Only one of the seven people in the group is worried about the history of the bridge, her name is Adrian Hatala. Hatala stays back from the bridge as her friends stay within the bridge. Hatala witnesses a dim light "walking" the train tracks within minutes of 12 AM. The dim light stops above the bridge at exactly 12 AM. It then disappears, only to reappear as a bright flash of white light inside the bridge. Seconds later, the bodies of the six people Hatala had accompanied to the bridge are mutilated and hung in the same as those the year prior. Frantic and in shock, Hatala returns to town trying to explain what she had witnessed, but can not get her story across. Adrian Hatala is then charged with the murders of the other six people and put in prison. 7 years will pass before an event will take place concerning the "Bunny Man Bridge".

1913:
October 31, 1913: Repeat murders of 9 other teens take place. Thus, the charges against Adrian Hatala are dropped and she is to be released, though she is found to be mentally unstable and not released.

1943:
October 31, 1943: Six more teens are killed in the same manner and once again an investigation came up with no new information.

1953:
Adrian Hatala dies from shock while still committed. It is believed that she died in her sleep while dreaming of the events that she witnessed in 1906.

1976:
October 31, 1976:
Again, repeat murders of 3 people at the "Bunny Man Bridge". Investigation leads nowhere.

1987:
October 31, 1987:
Janet Charltier and 4 friends go out to the bridge in order to prove the folklore behind the bridge false. They are expecting to survive past 12 AM on Halloween night inside the "Bunny Man Bridge". The group plays practical jokes on one another and Janet becomes frightened. At exactly 12 AM she is in the process of leaving the bridge, her body halfway inside the bridge. A bright flash of white light is witnessed and she can feel her chest being cut open without any known source. She then runs out of the bridge and falls unconscious, when she awakes she finds the four other's slain bodies, her own chest bleeding and her hair had turned white.

Present:
Charletier sits in a swinging bench of her balcony every morning, she stars in the direction of the bridge. No murders have taken place since 1987, though who is to say no more will?
Attachments:
untitled.bmp

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Bunnyman Bridge Conspiracy
Posted by: k;lafdsjk ()
Date: October 30, 2011 01:18PM

How stupid are you? There were no buses in 1904. Try again.

Posted by: RobertGreyberg ()
Date: October 31, 2011 12:55PM

These are all false components of the legend, listed in this post.

Here's what is known to be true roots of the legend:

The Truth Behind the "Insane Asylum"

First off there, never has been an insane asylum in Fairfax County.

The element of the insane asylum mentioned in the legend derives from two similar institutions that existed in Clifton/Fairfax Station long ago. They are Ivakota Farm (a home for troubled women circa early 1900s) which is now the present day Balmoral Forest Estates, residential neighborhood off of Compton Rd, and the Old Poorhouse which existed only a few hundred yards from the popularized Bunnyman Bridge off of Colchester Road (circa late 1800s-early 1900s).

The "Bunny Man"

The concept of a man in a bunny costume killing people, derives from an incident in Burke, VA in the early 70s, where a young man dressed up as a bunny vandalized construction sites and threw a hatchet at a young couple parked in a car off of Guinea Road. This is believed to be how a "bunny costume murder" came into the mix of the legend. How it got tied to a bridge in Clifton, is a mystery.

The Murders

There have been NO DOCUMENTED murders in Clifton/Fairfax Station from the 1930s-present, related to this legend. Janet Chartilier (to my knowledge) does not exist, and is simply a character that was added into this legend for entertainment sake. However, I feel that maybe some missing person case/undocumented murder in the Clifton/Fairfax Station area around the late 1800s/early 1900s that started out as "small town gossip" but eventually blossomed into the murdered victims element of this legend.But any specific number of murders or the names of victims listed in this legend is FALSE.

The Bridge

The one-lane concrete tunnel/ train bridge off of Colchester Rd, is the bridge most people identify as "Bunnyman Bridge". But I feel as though, there are a number of bridges in the Clifton/Fairfax Station area, that people initially identified as "Bunnyman Bridge" in the past, and therefore may have a stronger tie to any true roots of this legend (whatever they may be) but overtime the bridge off of Colchester Rd, was popularized as the "real Bunnyman Bridge" for those who take every aspect of this legend seriously.

Conclusion

The Bunnyman Bridge Legend, is for the most part fake. All specific names, dates, and such assertions as an (actual) insane asylum/ inmates being transported by buses is false. What is known to be true though, are the actual roots from which the legend stems (Ivakota Farm, the old poorhouse, the vandalism incidents in Burke, VA in the 1970s, etc.). What remains to be discovered are more roots to the legend, i.e. what other possible incidents in Clifton that were true, overtime were morphed into a legend of a serial killer in a bunny costume murdering local residents at a bridge.

Like any other urban legend, the legend of Bunnyman Bridge is for the most part false, and serves soley for the purpose of entertainment. Yet also like any other urban legend, it stems from true events, places, and incidents both known and unknown, that overtime were twisted or skewed in order to scare people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2011 12:58PM by RobertGreyberg.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: October 31, 2011 01:10PM

Ah, thank goodness there is finally a thread on this, bravely posted.

Posted by: bps7772000 ()
Date: October 31, 2011 02:05PM

According to Wiki entry...

The first incident was reported the evening of October 20, 1970 by USAFA Cadet Bob Bennett and his fiancée, Dusty, who were visiting relatives on Guinea Road in Burke. Around midnight, while returning from a football game, they parked their car in a field on Guinea Road to talk. As they sat in the front seat with the car running, they noticed something moving outside the rear window. Moments later the front passenger window was smashed and there was a white-clad figure standing near the broken window. Bennett turned the car around while the man screamed at them about trespassing, including "You're on private property and I have your tag number." As they drove down the road they discovered a hatchet on the car floor.

When the police asked for a description of the man, Bob insisted he was wearing a white suit with long bunny ears, but Dusty remembered something white and pointed like a Ku Klux Klan hood. They both remembered seeing his face clearly, but in the darkness they could not determine his race. The police returned the hatchet to Bennett after examination. Bennett was required to report the incident upon his return to the USAFA. It was later confirmed in Fairfax Police records that the man was wearing a bunny suit with ears instead, not Ku Klux Klan robes.[2]

The second reported sighting occurred on the evening of October 29, 1970, when construction security guard Paul Phillips approached a man standing on the porch of an unfinished home in Kings Park West on Guinea Road. Phillips said the man was wearing a gray, black, and white bunny suit and was about 20 years old, 5 feet 8 inches (1.73 m) tall, and weighed about 175 pounds (79 kg). The man began chopping at a porch post with a long-handled axe, saying "All you people trespass around here. If you don't get out of here, I'm going to bust you on the head."

The Fairfax County Police opened investigations into both incidents, but both were eventually closed for lack of evidence. In the weeks following the incidents, more than 50 people contacted the police claiming to have seen the "bunny man." Several newspapers reported the incidents, including the following articles in The Washington Post:
"Man in Bunny Suit Sought in Fairfax" (October 22, 1970)[3]
"The 'Rabbit' Reappears" (October 31, 1970)[3]
"Bunny Man Seen" (November 4, 1970)
"Bunny Reports Are Multiplying" (November 6, 1970)

Date: October 31, 2011 02:27PM

Those are exactly the incidents I was talking about! That's the major root of the "bunny man" side of the legend, in my opinion. At least in terms of actual evidence.

Posted by: Bunnyman L I V E S & breathes ()
Date: October 31, 2011 02:49PM

This picture I took 2 years ago. Colchester Rd. Railroad bridge. It is spooky! The fog hangs around the entrances and sometimes you see the ghosts hanging from ropes, danglin in the wind. I have seen bunnies in the woods, they are smarter now, I think. Perhaps a faster variety(?). This is not a place living people want to be tonight.
Attachments:
Bunny Man Bridge.JPG

Posted by: Another One gone to bunnywoman tonight ()
Date: October 31, 2011 10:27PM

it happened!...whOoooOOOOOoooooOOOO

Posted by: O-Qua Tangin Wann ()
Date: October 31, 2011 11:04PM

Right at Midnight supposedly a bright light back from within the Bridge, where the kids were and less than a couple seconds later they were all dead.
Throats slashed with that same type of tool that was found by the other Escapee Marcus. Not only were there throats slashed, but all up and down their chest's were a long slashes gutting them.
To top it off the Bunny Man hung both of the guys from one end of a bridge with a rope around their neck, hanging from the overpass with their legs dangling in front of the pass of cars.

Date: November 01, 2011 12:03AM

Well if that's true, it happened three minutes ago.

Posted by: doctor is in ()
Date: November 01, 2011 12:47AM

how did obama forget to fix this with the Stimulas?

Posted by: bps7772000 ()
Date: November 01, 2011 06:10AM

yeah,

I've seen it in person and driven through it. You have to turn around because there is no outlet. But there is NO ghost, no bunnyman, no hanging kids, nothing but bullshit campfire stories here.

Posted by: sumguy ()
Date: November 01, 2011 10:50AM

Any one who lives near this bridge has play a joke on some outsider at one time or another. We would camp out near the bridge for weeks waiting for visitors to fuck with.

Posted by: Angel ()
Date: November 01, 2011 11:04AM

I went there with my girlsfriends and my youngest son last year it was creepy and foggy we took pictures and there were orbs next to us. it was sooooo spooky we kept turning around until we finally got a courage to go through it. however this year here 4 county cops there so my husband who only went there in the day couldnt see it, but if you go down newman rd to clifton rd and then to chapel rd it gets really creepy and lost of fog...dont go by yourself go in a group and lots of gas. somehow when i turned around to go back my gas pedal accelrated by itself very creepy.

Posted by: kohlchester ()
Date: April 25, 2012 09:36AM

Anyone interested in Bunny Man Bridge hasn't done there homework until they have visited www.colchesteroverpass.org

Posted by: Edizzle ()
Date: September 11, 2014 02:08PM

All you have to do is park underneath the bridge at 11:55pm, turn your lights and engine off, put your keys on the hood of your car, get back in the car and wait until 12:05am. Good luck!

Posted by: mary worth ()
Date: September 11, 2014 02:25PM

I've heard that if you park there and turn the engine off, something invisible will push the car down the road. They're the ghosts of the little children killed by the Bunnyman.

Another legend is that you'll find something gruesome on the roof of your car if you park there late at night and turn off the lights.

Posted by: Happy Halloween! ()
Date: September 11, 2014 03:23PM

I agree that the legend of the Bunnyman Bridge is just that, a legend. An urban legend derived from legitimate roots, but morphed over time into a ghost story.
However, I went out there 3 Halloweens ago with some people who were curious. Bad idea, we got chased out by FCPD, who were guarding the area due to an increase in concerned residents who lived nearby and were sick of all the trespassing and loud teens drinking and doing drugs.
I strongly advise you not to visit late at night, and especially not during All Hallow's Eve..you will get arressted and charged with trespassing on private property!

Posted by: Don't rustle my jimmies, bro ()
Date: September 11, 2014 08:11PM

sumguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any one who lives near this bridge has play a joke
> on some outsider at one time or another. We would
> camp out near the bridge for weeks waiting for
> visitors to fuck with.
On Halloween the cops used to camp the spot & wait for stupid kids to come screw around by there.

Posted by: ptVKk ()
Date: September 14, 2014 05:15PM

mary worth Wrote:
> I've heard that if you park there and turn the
> engine off, something invisible will push the car
> down the road. They're the ghosts of the little
> children killed by the Bunnyman.
>
> Another legend is that you'll find something
> gruesome on the roof of your car if you park there
> late at night and turn off the lights.

Wrong Urban Legend, if you go to the Bunnyman bridge at night around midnight, you might find yourself hanging from the bridge, watching the ground as your life slowly fades away...Away...away...
Attachments:
ad68498982forensic-scientis.jpg

Posted by: Bunnygotcha eh? ()
Date: October 31, 2014 11:51AM

Anyone going to Bunnyman Bridge tonight? Me and my crew will be going super stealth mode of course... No way I am going to drive straight into a nest of FFX police!

Posted by: eieiX ()
Date: October 31, 2014 03:50PM

Last year at BB was off the hook. 5 or 6 theme parties in the surrounding woods. The best party involved about 10 naked hot teenage chicks getting down at the "beach" (Only people who have actually been there and explored the area will know what I am talking about). The trippin' dude dressed in a Bunny suit (not the real Bunnyman of course) jumping out with a fake axe scaring people in the woods was NOT cool at all. A large group of people finally duct taped him, bunny suit and all, to a tree where he was allowed to mellow out and come down from what ever drugs he was on.

Posted by: You wish ()
Date: October 31, 2014 06:05PM

eieiX Wrote:
> Last year at BB was off the hook. 5 or 6 theme
> parties in the surrounding woods. The best party
> involved about 10 naked hot teenage chicks getting
> down at the "beach" (Only people who have actually
> been there and explored the area will know what I
> am talking about). The trippin' dude dressed in a
> Bunny suit (not the real Bunnyman of course)
> jumping out with a fake axe scaring people in the
> woods was NOT cool at all. A large group of people
> finally duct taped him, bunny suit and all, to a
> tree where he was allowed to mellow out and come
> down from what ever drugs he was on.

FCPD was out there several times last year, not to mention the two officers they left out there on guard duty. No way there were several hoping parties with naked chicks running around. Nice try dude!

Posted by: No go there ()
Date: October 31, 2014 06:26PM

They were out last night
Assume in full force tonight

Posted by: Let it go ()
Date: October 31, 2014 06:46PM

Bunnygotcha eh? Wrote:
> Anyone going to Bunnyman Bridge tonight? Me and my
> crew will be going super stealth mode of course...
> No way I am going to drive straight into a nest of
> FFX police!

Stealth mode? I dunno about that one, the cops have been posted up out there every Halloween since about 2006-2007 onward. Some friendly advice: don't go to the bridge or anywhere near it tonight...you really wanna risk your Hallowern being ruined by getting arrested and charged with trespassing on private property? People live out there, they are tired of the shenanigans.
There is no Bunnyman, and the bridge has no special significance. It's a stupid urban legend, let it go!

Posted by: Joey ()
Date: June 07, 2015 10:35AM

last night my friend and I headed to the bridge and around 12:15 we saw three ghost. Two teenagers/young adults (boys) dressed in a shirt and really baggy shorts with a beanie, grayish hat kinda thing on. Idk what you call them. And a girl some sort of floral type dress looking like they came from a party but they looked normal like I'd see other people witch was so weird.

Posted by: bunny bullshit ()
Date: June 07, 2015 12:02PM

I lived on colechester near the bridge in the 80's and never heard of the bunnyman till much later. The legend wasn't prevalent at Robinson then. But the end of the road was a place to drink beer without police interference. But it is a fun story.

Posted by: ChickenMan ()
Date: October 25, 2015 07:24PM

bunny bullshit Wrote:
> I lived on colechester near the bridge in the 80's
> and never heard of the bunnyman till much later.
> The legend wasn't prevalent at Robinson then. But
> the end of the road was a place to drink beer
> without police interference. But it is a fun
> story.

Every year GMU students hide out in the woods around that area.

Posted by: ITS HIM! MY GOD! ()
Date: October 25, 2015 08:29PM

>The trippin' dude dressed in a Bunny suit (not the real Bunnyman of course) jumping out with a fake axe scaring people in the woods was NOT cool at all. A large group of people finally duct taped him, bunny suit and all, to a tree where he was allowed to mellow out and come down from what ever drugs he was on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
And I though he passed on long ago.. Maybe that was a myth, Was his hair gray??

DAJAX

Posted by: Bored Teen ()
Date: October 31, 2016 04:39PM

Is this still a "thing"?

Can you drive over at night and see the bridge on Halloween?

Hearing all the old stories is cool.

Posted by: KhtnV ()
Date: October 31, 2016 06:22PM

Go and see. Take pictures. We'll wait here.

Posted by: Bored Teen ()
Date: October 31, 2016 10:56PM

Thanks for the suggestion. It was eerie with the way the clouds and the planet Mars were hanging in the sky tonight, but it was a beautiful drive.

Too dark to take any meaningful pictures but a fun night nonetheless.

Not bored anymore.

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: October 30, 2017 05:09PM

Bored Teen Wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. It was eerie with the
> way the clouds and the planet Mars were hanging in
> the sky tonight, but it was a beautiful drive.
>
> Too dark to take any meaningful pictures but a fun
> night nonetheless.
>
> Not bored anymore.

In honor of Halloween I thought it would be nice to bring back the Legend of Bunnyman Bridge. It is a cool story to read every now and then.

Posted by: Louie23 ()
Date: October 30, 2017 07:37PM

I had a friend that used to help take care of some of the horses on the other side of the tunnel. I drove through there several times but didn't know there was any ghost legends etc

Posted by: Don't say you weren't warned ()
Date: October 30, 2021 07:00PM

Don't go round fucking with the Bunnyman bridge (unless you're stupid). You just might find something you really don't want to see.

Posted by: Don't say you weren't warned ()
Date: October 30, 2021 07:00PM

Don't go round fucking with the Bunnyman bridge (unless you're stupid). You just might find something you really don't want to see.

Posted by: Bunnyman lives ()
Date: October 30, 2021 07:12PM

Tonight at midnight, I will be at the bridge. Come one come all. I need fresh blood. Signed, The Bunnyman

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.