HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS Hates Children
Posted by: SadMom ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:30AM

This is so depressing. I have currently been involved in the FCPS Disciplinary Process (which is a joke since there is no process) in which my oldest son, who used to go to Madison, has been expelled.
My son was accused of using weed before school and forgot about the pipe in his backpack. Yes, he is a dumbass. I have come to terms with this fact.
We haven't been officially notified yet, but two (yes, two) of the case workers at the REQUIRED alcohol and drug seminar told me about previous cases and the similarities with my sons, and "wanted me to be prepared" for the eventuality that he will be expelled. Yes, they discussed other cases. Yes, they told me the hearing was a formality.
But theres been no decision yet. "I understand, however, your son will most likely never be able to go back".
Well, damn. What's the point then?
The representatives at the witch hunt, I mean "hearing", we're rude, uninformative, and didn't even pretend to care whether my son actually did anything or not. They were trying to get him to admit to dealing! That was never even a raised issue with the police department or the school or at any other previous time UNTIL the middle of the witch hunt/hearing. It was obvious that the principal, vice principal, and the hearing administrators knew each other, and knew each other quite well. They all receive their paychecks from the same school system, which means they all have the same goal=protect ourselves from bad publicity, which is exactly what Mr. Merrell stated. ON THE RECORD.
Principal Merrell ..."what if another parent had found out? Madison would have a black eye on its reputation"....seriously?
Does he even see what people write about Madison? Doesn't he realize half of the staff and the majority of the upper class students do/carry/been around/possessed/seen/hid/smoked/eaten/ or covered up marijuana and alcohol use?
I thought, and I could be wrong, that the primary purpose of schooling is for the education of children, not a reputation. Maybe the paycheck is better that we know about?
As a parent, if a kid gets caught doing something wrong, he is in need of some positive attention. I see no benefit from cutting them off from support systems, but it seems to be the FCPS way. Trauma, issues, whatever you want to call it, all kids have them, even in the best of circumstances.
I am lucky, because my son and I have a good enough relationship that will not allow this to interfere. My son will have just as bright of a future as a chef as he was going to have a month ago. Might even brighter without these labeling jerks telling them how horrible he is.

And no, these people will not be allowed in his restaurant.

P.S.There will be a protest rally. I'm helping the kids do it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS Hates Children
Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:37AM

face it. You are a lousy parent and in denial about your failure.Better stop blaming others and take a look at yourself.

Posted by: M03 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:42AM

I'm sorry that happened to your son, but yes, he IS a dumbass for getting about his pipe. FCPS hates children that don't conform to their "standards" and you're right about the whole them-not-looking-bad-thing which is why they send kids away who they deem "troublesome". Your son isn't the first and won't be the last so try to take some sort of twisted comfort with that. FCPS is a fucked up school system, just look at the Nick Stuban case..I pray your son doesn't go down that route or even think of something like that. In all honesty you and your son are actually lucky to be getting away from them. What other options have they given him? Alternative school by any chance?

Posted by: pluckity chic ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:42AM

Does "Enabler" mean anything to you?

Posted by: Stupid Mom ()
Date: October 26, 2011 10:00AM

What kind of parent calls marijuana "weed"? Grow up.

I suppose the lesson learned here is that you need to inspect his backpack and keep his illegal drugs safely at home where the two of you can enjoy them together.

If you believe that most of the school staff and more than half the population of Madison are carrying illegal drugs at school then you are too high to be rational.

The only way your son will own a restaurant is when you provide the money to open it. And when the health inspector closes it down for failing to follow the stupid rules, he will blame the system.

Posted by: huh?1? ()
Date: October 26, 2011 10:02AM

OK, without going into the obvious parenting issues here, wasn't this process supposed to change? Wasn't 1st time drug offense supposed to not be an expulsion?

Posted by: drugs in schools ()
Date: October 26, 2011 10:16AM

Students in the more affluent areas (Vienna, Frost/Woodson, Cooper, Langley) seem to have more drug problems. They have the money, and many parents have a false sense of security there. "It can't happen here."

Unfortunately, FCPS administrators refuse to admit there's a problem in an effort to protect the school's reputation/image.

Posted by: lur king ()
Date: October 26, 2011 10:29AM

Sorry this happened to you/your son. Take the money you were going to use to get your son a restaurant and pay for a private H.S. for him. A business venture can be a temp. situation, H.S. diploma is a "forever" thing.

@Stupid Mom, parents that call it "weed", most likely smoke it.

Posted by: Ronald McD ()
Date: October 26, 2011 10:40AM

Best restaurant for your son would be to open up a nice McDonalds. Nobody eats there but stoners and kids.

Posted by: Sad... ()
Date: October 26, 2011 10:43AM

It's sad that kids are expelled when they most need help. A first time offense should be a wake up call for treatment and counseling, not expulsion.

Posted by: Dumb ()
Date: October 26, 2011 03:11PM

First off your kid using weed does not make you a bad parent. It makes you average almost in today's world. Sad but true. The policies of the disciplinary system in Fairfax County are out of touch with what most parents want. For example last month my kid went to a party when he came home he told me the parents were there and provided alcohol not just beer but liquor as well. Kids were drunk and pictures were posted in FB of the whole thing. Now my kid is on a prescription where he could never drink so I am sure he wasn't. I called the school and spoke to one of the security people I know very well off the record. I was told basically don't do anything because even if your kid did not drink he was there and by the rules just as guilty. once police get involved FCPS has to do something because it "looks bad". So I can't turn the dumbass parents in because my kid and 50 others will be suspended/expelled for their involvement in an off campus activity.
BTW had a friend go through the witch hunt you speak of. She sent her daughter to MD to live with her father because it was clear they did not care about helping the kid or hearing the facts. They had made a decision before the meeting ever started. They asked an hours worth of questions then gave them 10 minutes for their side and witnesses. Her 17 year old child brought her birth control to school. Didn't hand it out but was expelled anyway for having it in her bookbag. Yeah that's our tax dollars at work.

Posted by: ES dad ()
Date: October 26, 2011 03:16PM

I had a HS parent tell me that kids in HS won't use their lockers any more for fear of someone slipping something into the locker through a vent then turning them in. F'd up is the only way to describe what FCPS discipline has come to.

Posted by: It was JUST pot ()
Date: October 26, 2011 03:19PM

Many of us on here I bet smoked some "weed" in our day. It was his first offense. I say he should do some community in school service. Saturday detentions too. Let's not make this into a bigger deal then it really is. Hopefully he will learn from his mistake.

Posted by: angry ()
Date: October 26, 2011 07:46PM

I don't know why my kid has to go to school with your darling little pot addict.

Posted by: Freakout ()
Date: October 26, 2011 08:38PM

Lol at these righteous FCPS parents. You're kids are all doing drugs, drinking alcohol as well. If you think only bad parents have the kids smoking weed, ha, that's hilarious. Many parents let kids and their friends throw parties and drink in their homes, then drive home. Likewise, at the richer schools, many of the kids AT LEAST smoke weed; many kids pop pills, mix stuff, do acid (i know, wtf). For at least 2 FCPS schools, 90 percent of the kids drink alcohol, I cannot remember one kid who actually didn't. The only way you know that your kid isn't doing anything is to constantly drug test them every week, which I guarantee NONE of you parents do. So basically, STFU.

Date: October 26, 2011 08:44PM

drugs in schools Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Students in the more affluent areas (Vienna,
> Frost/Woodson, Cooper, Langley) seem to have more
> drug problems. They have the money, and many
> parents have a false sense of security there.
> "It can't happen here."
>
> Unfortunately, FCPS administrators refuse to admit
> there's a problem in an effort to protect the
> school's reputation/image.

This is spot on. 90 percent of the kids at these schools drink. It is hard to find someone who doesn't. But who cares if you end up an alcoholic later? And drugs, they don't even just do the normal weed; they want stuff to really mess your brain up. Parents at these schools, go ahead, next time your innocent darling comes back from a party (she'll probably have "slept over", not because she was drunk or anything..) why don't you test her? Or just ignore the problem, that's fine.

Posted by: SadMom are you a troll? ()
Date: October 26, 2011 08:46PM

Hey SAdMom,
I began reading your post.
I too am a Mother of a kid in FCPS. If this is true, I would suggest finding a school that your son will thrive.

However, some of this post makes me think it may be a troll 000 LOOKING for replies.

Reassure your kid that he is deserving of an education and then enroll him elsewhere!

> This is so depressing. I have currently been
> involved in the FCPS Disciplinary Process (which
> is a joke since there is no process) in which my
> oldest son, who used to go to Madison, has been
> expelled.
> My son was accused of using weed before school and
> forgot about the pipe in his backpack. Yes, he is
> a dumbass. I have come to terms with this fact.
> We haven't been officially notified yet, but two
> (yes, two) of the case workers at the REQUIRED
> alcohol and drug seminar told me about previous
> cases and the similarities with my sons, and
> "wanted me to be prepared" for the eventuality
> that he will be expelled. Yes, they discussed
> other cases. Yes, they told me the hearing was a
> formality.
> But theres been no decision yet. "I understand,
> however, your son will most likely never be able
> to go back".
> Well, damn. What's the point then?
> The representatives at the witch hunt, I mean
> "hearing", we're rude, uninformative, and didn't
> even pretend to care whether my son actually did
> anything or not. They were trying to get him to
> admit to dealing! That was never even a raised
> issue with the police department or the school or
> at any other previous time UNTIL the middle of the
> witch hunt/hearing. It was obvious that the
> principal, vice principal, and the hearing
> administrators knew each other, and knew each
> other quite well. They all receive their paychecks
> from the same school system, which means they all
> have the same goal=protect ourselves from bad
> publicity, which is exactly what Mr. Merrell
> stated. ON THE RECORD.
> Principal Merrell ..."what if another parent had
> found out? Madison would have a black eye on its
> reputation"....seriously?
> Does he even see what people write about Madison?
> Doesn't he realize half of the staff and the
> majority of the upper class students do/carry/been
> around/possessed/seen/hid/smoked/eaten/ or covered
> up marijuana and alcohol use?
> I thought, and I could be wrong, that the primary
> purpose of schooling is for the education of
> children, not a reputation. Maybe the paycheck is
> better that we know about?
> As a parent, if a kid gets caught doing something
> wrong, he is in need of some positive attention. I
> see no benefit from cutting them off from support
> systems, but it seems to be the FCPS way. Trauma,
> issues, whatever you want to call it, all kids
> have them, even in the best of circumstances.
> I am lucky, because my son and I have a good
> enough relationship that will not allow this to
> interfere. My son will have just as bright of a
> future as a chef as he was going to have a month
> ago. Might even brighter without these labeling
> jerks telling them how horrible he is.
>
> And no, these people will not be allowed in his
> restaurant.
>
> P.S.There will be a protest rally. I'm helping the
> kids do it.

Posted by: Wrong ()
Date: October 26, 2011 08:53PM

Many kids do drink but parents are not hosting parties. Unless you live in the ghetto parents know you cannot condone underage drinking. People who have something to lose teach their kids to be smart. Teach your kids to not to drink and drive. Have them call a cab and be safe.

As far as rich kids doing more drugs you are wrong. Poor kids have parents who most likely do more drugs and drinking then their smarter counterparts. Those parents will share with their drugs with their kids.

Posted by: fairfax south ()
Date: October 26, 2011 08:56PM

This is what happens when you have a zero tolerance policy or kill an ant with a sledgehammer attitude. I am not excusing the son but this constant overkill is getting out of hand.

Face it pot is just not a big deal, other than inhaling smoke into your lungs I dont see the hazards or if you plan to drive or use dangerous equipment then that is another issue. Those that sit home and take a few hits are no danger to society and the government knows it.

The problem is no one in a position of authority or an elected official wants to appear soft on crime so they go along with the pack. There was one brave college professor, I think in Vermont, who came out in favor of reducing the drinking age to 18 as too many college students were being branded with a criminal record for drinking a bottle of beer.

Date: October 26, 2011 09:03PM

you don't think pot is a big deal. that's fine, its your prerogative. but if i do then the "support system" cant be forced association with my kid, because he's not a pot head. getting moved from school to school is not that big of a deal. but if your kid is already on the ragged edge cause you dont parent, why should mine suffer because yours needs his "support system." take away the car, take away the money and then we'll talk

Posted by: Stick up your ass parents ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:08PM

Really? You must be the perfect parent. I would hate for anything major to happen to your child because I know you could not handle it. Get a grip. Kids smoking weed is nothing new. News flash: Many previous pot smokers are now in the 1%.

You are an asshole and a shitty parent.

Posted by: wrong is wrong ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:09PM

Wrong Wrote:
> Many kids do drink but parents are not hosting
> parties. Unless you live in the ghetto parents
> know you cannot condone underage drinking. People
> who have something to lose teach their kids to be
> smart. Teach your kids to not to drink and drive.
> Have them call a cab and be safe.
>
> As far as rich kids doing more drugs you are
> wrong. Poor kids have parents who most likely do
> more drugs and drinking then their smarter
> counterparts. Those parents will share with their
> drugs with their kids.

how does being rich = smart? you're obviously a stupid sheltered bitch or "ghetto" yourself. how else would you have this info? why do you think it's only the "rich" "smart" kids getting busted then? dont you think the dumb ghetto kids would be too? and no those parents dont share their drugs with their kids who the fuck does that? experience talking or just your ass? idiot.

Posted by: fairfax south ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:14PM

How does one student smoking pot out of school effect your kid? If you have properly raised your kid then he/she will resist the temptation to use drugs. You should ask yourself what does your kid do when out of school? Do they turn down the offer of drugs?
BTW
You have more to fear from all the "legal" drugs kids have these days like anti depressents than you ever have to fear from pot.

Posted by: Smart=smart ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:16PM

If you care to look it up most kids from wealth will stay in wealth. Their parents save money and make sure their kids are taken care of. Wealthy parents pay more to educate their kids and put a lot of thought into education.

Poor parents are barely making it. They have unplanned children and do not know how to raise them much less pay for them.

Posted by: Pot never killed anyone ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:18PM

I hope in the ten years pot will be legal.

Date: October 26, 2011 09:22PM

are you kidding me? pot smokers are a bunch of slack jaw saps who cant think and put out slack vibes like its going out of business. have you ever tried to explain something to someone who's high or freuqently high? can you imagine what that does to a classroom? again, these kids need parenting and discipline and if your not going to do it, my kid's not going to suffer because of it. i pay my taxes same as you, and mine aren't going to your "support system" for your druggies.

Posted by: Kids are not high in class ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:30PM

Dear mom and dad,

I get out of school at 2:45PM. I am left at home till around 7:00PM most nights. I get high from 3:00 till about 5:00.

Get a clue. You really think I am hitting the books and playing on the computer. Plus you are lame as parents. You think you know me but you don't. You are on the FFU saying crap about being the perfect parent. I can read your shit on here.

Ha ha.

Now goodnight. I am sleeping. I am not sneaking out the window and doing Katie in the car every night. Bitches.

What a load of crap
Posted by: Know Nothing ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:31PM

Having/smoking/ sharing/selling/growing/Weed is against the law in Virginia.
Underage drinking of alcohol is also against the law. So is having/abusing controlled drugs.

Do it on school grounds and you risk not only getting suspended/transferred/expelled from school but facing a judge.

Until they change the laws in Virginia you will get in trouble...tell the judge to shove it up where the sun don't shine because you think your special and above the law and see what happens.

@SadMom- please report the outcome of your kid's journey. I hope he does get the help he needs.

Re: What a load of crap
Posted by: Know nothing is a downer ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:35PM

Don't be a lame ass and bring pot to school.

Otherwise have fun while your parents are out commuting in hell.

I for one can't wait to move out of Nova. Boulder here I come. Nova sucks.

Posted by: smart = dumb ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:47PM

Smart=smart Wrote:
> If you care to look it up most kids from wealth
> will stay in wealth. Their parents save money and
> make sure their kids are taken care of. Wealthy
> parents pay more to educate their kids and put a
> lot of thought into education.
>
> Poor parents are barely making it. They have
> unplanned children and do not know how to raise
> them much less pay for them.

that didnt answer my question as to how rich = smart. rich people have unplanned children as well. were are you getting your info from?

Posted by: about time ()
Date: October 26, 2011 10:12PM

"these kids need parenting and discipline and if your not going to do it, my kid's not going to suffer because of it. i pay my taxes same as you"

I am glad to finally meet you, you are the person who never made a mistake in their life.

Date: October 27, 2011 05:57AM

"I am glad to finally meet you, you are the person who never made a mistake in their life."

why should others have to deal with the results of your lack of parenting and your kids bad choices. the primary concern here is not insulating them from the consequences of their "mistake"--that stopped being the primary concern when they started making their mistakes at school.

The comments are so typical of NOVA attitudes--totally self-absorbed, dumping consequences on others, and special pleading. it must be in the water or something

Posted by: you are idiots ()
Date: October 27, 2011 08:28AM

Angry: absolutely correct. Not only are these the people who have "never made a mistake" but they are also the ones in denial and if you asked their kids or actually scrutinized them, they are the most flawed just don't realize it or care to introspect...just babble about taxes and discipline...

Posted by: look in the mirror ()
Date: October 27, 2011 08:52AM

Bad parenting? A parent can do everything right and a kid will still make stupid choices. I can guarantee the persons claiming their kids are perfect probably have big problems they dont even know about.

Posted by: soft on crime ()
Date: October 27, 2011 09:04AM

Do you law and order types really support expelling a student just for bringing a pot pipe to school?
No one is saying on here to excuse his actions but dont you think kicking him out of school on a first offense is a bit drastic?

Just for the record I do not smoke pot but I think criminal prosecution of those that do in the privacy of their home is a waste of taxpayer dollars.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: October 27, 2011 09:58AM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2013 01:08AM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: JBass ()
Date: October 27, 2011 10:28AM

The primary purpose of FCPS is to further the objective of FCPS, to be the (on paper) #1 school system in the nation, world and universe.

I feel for you, OP. And please take lightly what all of these boot-licking morons who have their heads in the sand say. They are content with the wool over their eyes and you threaten their perfect, protected, mundane existence.

As I have shared on here in the past, I went through the trials and tribulations of FCPS close to 15 years ago when you really had to be a thorn to garner much attention. I graduated college, served my country, explored the world and have returned home to NOVA to a great career. The scariest thing about living back in Fairfax County is the prospect of my children attending FCPS with the children of these closed minded morons.

Date: October 27, 2011 10:38AM

very little chance that FCPS will be # 1, they are plummeting in standing on most accounts and in particular the Challenge Index where only 3 (not counting TJ) show up anymore...

Posted by: sorry ()
Date: October 27, 2011 11:31AM

I am sorry for you sad mom that has to be tough -but go back and read your message you need to redirect your anger into helping your child he was smoking before school , therefore I am assuming he is not a once in a while social recreational user, number 2 you mention he is at a Required counseling session but what is the point the point since he may not be allowed at Madison . The point is he should be n counseling to see why he needs to smoke pot to get through the school day. This is your opportunity to help your son and not waste your energy blaming the system. Maybe this is the kick in the pants both of you need to get him help.

Posted by: Ryans a dumbass ()
Date: October 27, 2011 11:38AM

Maybe ryans fatass shouldnt of takin Bong rips before school

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: October 27, 2011 11:50AM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 03:57PM by chuckhoffmann.

Date: October 27, 2011 12:03PM

sorry Wrote:
> I am sorry for you sad mom that has to be tough
> -but go back and read your message you need to
> redirect your anger into helping your child he
> was smoking before school , therefore I am
> assuming he is not a once in a while social
> recreational user, number 2 you mention he is at a
> Required counseling session but what is the point
> the point since he may not be allowed at Madison .
> The point is he should be n counseling to see why
> he needs to smoke pot to get through the school
> day. This is your opportunity to help your son and
> not waste your energy blaming the system. Maybe
> this is the kick in the pants both of you need to
> get him help.

OP isnt Blaming anyone. Conversely, she has taken responsibility for the action but feels that the punishment does not fit the crime. Innumerable others and I happen to agree. Stop projecting your morals onto others. Some of the most successful, productive people I know smoke pot regularly.

Posted by: postie ()
Date: October 27, 2011 12:44PM

you are idiots Wrote:
> very little chance that FCPS will be # 1, they are
> plummeting in standing on most accounts and in
> particular the Challenge Index where only 3 (not
> counting TJ) show up anymore...

Why do we need the WaPo to validate the schools? Seriously, an organization that loses money perennially and has had it's own share of ethical failings (JournoList, the 'Salon' scandal, various plagiarism scandals) is not really fit to pass judgement on schools, and our elected officials should not (as they do) cater to their scoring model for schools. The schools point to these rankings and awards they give each other, and tell you not to believe your own lying eyes on the state of the schools.

Posted by: sorry 1 ()
Date: October 27, 2011 01:03PM

I am sorry JBass but according to her post she has not taken responsibility for the action . Its old news that the school over- punishes kdis I get it, it sucks but now because it was her wonderful son she is going to speak out ? She really does not even seem to care about that action but the fact that he was stupid enough to get caught Calling him a dumbass is the only think she has said. The bottom line is what he did was illegal and now she is organizing teenagers into a rally because her son got caught .How about making him apologize and figure out what the hell the problem is

Posted by: KK ()
Date: October 27, 2011 01:22PM

He's not a dumbass for forgetting about his pipe HE'S A DUMBASS FOR SMOKING "WEED"!

FCPS is definately out to get your son - they want to paint a picture of strict and proactive vigilance against drugs!

Posted by: R_in_FFX ()
Date: October 27, 2011 02:08PM

@OP
Despite your son needing a massive realignment on personal conduct and behavior ... the response from FCPS is pretty absurd. But since youre dealing with FCPS ...

http://www.themostawesomepageintheuniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/bear-cavalry.jpg

Posted by: DC outside ()
Date: October 27, 2011 02:09PM

Fairfax is the number one school system in the world. The teachers union says so.

Date: October 27, 2011 02:53PM

R_in_FFX Wrote:
> @OP
> Despite your son needing a massive realignment on
> personal conduct and behavior ... the response
> from FCPS is pretty absurd. But since youre
> dealing with FCPS ...
>
> http://www.themostawesomepageintheuniverse.com/wp-
> content/uploads/2009/08/bear-cavalry.jpg

"A massive realignment on personal conduct"

C'Mon, get real, there are pleanty of kids that this statement may pertain to, but based on the information given by the OP, I would hardly say this is so for her son. Its a pot pope not dirty syringes. Get a clue on reality, there is a VERY good chance that out of your doctor, lawyer and accountant, one of them smoke weed.

Posted by: R_in_FFX ()
Date: October 27, 2011 06:37PM

You missunderstand me, I dont give a shit if you want to smoke weed and drink booze everyday starting on the day you turn 18. Youre an adult then, do whatever the fuck you please.

It is not okay to partake in that behavior till then, this kid doesnt seem to comprehend that and thus needs a thorough kick in the ass.

Posted by: toker ()
Date: October 27, 2011 06:50PM

*LEGALIZE IT*

Posted by: sorry ()
Date: October 27, 2011 06:52PM

R_in_FFX Wrote:
> You missunderstand me, I dont give a shit if you
> want to smoke weed and drink booze everyday
> starting on the day you turn 18. Youre an adult
> then, do whatever the fuck you please.
>
> It is not okay to partake in that behavior till
> then, this kid doesnt seem to comprehend that and
> thus needs a thorough kick in the ass.

I totally agree and i sure when my doctor smoked pot his mom did not organize a rally when he got caught.

Posted by: Cut Him Some Slack ()
Date: October 27, 2011 07:36PM

R_in_FFX Wrote:
> You missunderstand me, I dont give a shit if you
> want to smoke weed and drink booze everyday
> starting on the day you turn 18. Youre an adult
> then, do whatever the fuck you please.
>
> It is not okay to partake in that behavior till
> then, this kid doesnt seem to comprehend that and
> thus needs a thorough kick in the ass.

Smoking weed is illegal irrespective of age. It always has been - even when you were doing it in college, as has virtually everyone on this board (and I graduated 35 years ago). When you're young and foolish you do foolish things. The kid may need "a thorough kick in the ass", but he also needs a break, especially for a first offense.

Date: October 27, 2011 09:20PM

Wrong Wrote:
> Many kids do drink but parents are not hosting
> parties. Unless you live in the ghetto parents
> know you cannot condone underage drinking. People
> who have something to lose teach their kids to be
> smart. Teach your kids to not to drink and drive.
> Have them call a cab and be safe.
>
> As far as rich kids doing more drugs you are
> wrong. Poor kids have parents who most likely do
> more drugs and drinking then their smarter
> counterparts. Those parents will share with their
> drugs with their kids.

You must be a mom from one of the rich areas. You are completely wrong. Parents know kids are drinking in their basements, and they just don't come downstairs to see it. Sometimes they take the kids keys, or they cannot come in. And the richer kids definately do more drugs, since they have the money to do so. You just don't think they do, as some get into very good schools, but smoke weed almost everyday. Parents do not care in certain school districts, and everything is swept under the rug (obviously, as nobody on here talks about some crazy stuff that happens there). Many parents probably forget that the drinking age is 21 now, since they could drink at 18, so they just forget or think its ok. And you are really off saying that poor parents share drugs with there kids. Wtf, are you crazy? That statement just reeks of sheltered, stereotypical spoiled wife. You obviously do not have many "poor" friends, what you said is insane.

Posted by: The vote is in ()
Date: October 27, 2011 09:22PM

Anyone who has any common sense says your son is just being a teenage boy. He should be given a second chance.

Posted by: Freakout is a loser ()
Date: October 27, 2011 09:24PM

I am so glad I am in the 1%.

Posted by: So freakout knows his type ()
Date: October 27, 2011 09:28PM

Freakout knows parents in HIS group who do not watch their kids. I watch my kids. Don't speak for me. I do not allow basement parties.

I don't think you are wealthy. I think you wish you were. Asshole.

Date: October 28, 2011 07:14AM

The complete lack of tolerance of EVERYTHING is the problem in FCPS, as is evidenced by many posters here, who, if we knew them personally could respond and point out all of their flaws, inconsistencies and hypocricy. This is whats wrong with our area and the schools-you are so hateful of people who you think have more (or less), sick, toxic area, sick toxic schools. Plain and simple-zero tolerance (kill and castrate the kids for a mistake that most of you are already making) simply doesn't work, it isn't effective, it doesn't change any behaviors, it isn't a deterrent, it just ruins the life of the kid and the parent, Nuff said.

Posted by: BeenThere ()
Date: October 28, 2011 08:40AM

This policy was supposed to change. I would call Donna St. George at the Washington Post and blast FCPS once again in the news. Thats the only thing that gets their attention.

Meanwhile, FX taxpayers wake up. FCPS is running a "Hearings Office" on a 7 million dollar budget. The Hearing Officers are paid over 100K per year. And all they apparently do, is rubber stamp a Prinipal's recommendation. Its a kangaroo court. You could hire F. Lee Bailey to represent you and it would make zero difference to FCPS, because they have already won, whether the student was guilty or not.

Join http://fairfaxzerotolerancereform.org/ and vote for Steve Stuban for School Board. Hopefully shaking up the School Board from being a Jack Dale/Central Office puppet board will put the emphasis back on education, students and teachers.

And anyone who thinks their little innocent darlings are better of because a pipe toting kid is no longer in their class, wake up.

Posted by: Tolerance is what they say it is ()
Date: October 28, 2011 08:59AM

you are idiots Wrote:
> The complete lack of tolerance of EVERYTHING is
> the problem in FCPS, as is evidenced by many
> posters here, who, if we knew them personally
> could respond and point out all of their flaws,
> inconsistencies and hypocricy. This is whats wrong
> with our area and the schools-you are so hateful
> of people who you think have more (or less), sick,
> toxic area, sick toxic schools. Plain and
> simple-zero tolerance (kill and castrate the kids
> for a mistake that most of you are already making)
> simply doesn't work, it isn't effective, it
> doesn't change any behaviors, it isn't a
> deterrent, it just ruins the life of the kid and
> the parent, Nuff said.

Oh, you are so wrong. Tolerance is everywhere - it's not a Christmas party, it's a Winter Holiday party, and the list of observed holiday is about 1/2 dozen long. And take a look at the reading lists - dead white males (you know, the classics) have been relegated and you need to be gay, black, or some other recognized minority author to be on the reading list.

Posted by: BeenThere ()
Date: October 28, 2011 09:14AM

Thats the problem when you try to make all the people happy all the time. Then no one is happy. FCPS is so caught up in pandering to their special groups and policies, they are missing the main mission - which is educating all the children in this county.

Date: October 28, 2011 01:41PM

So freakout knows his type Wrote:
> Freakout knows parents in HIS group who do not
> watch their kids. I watch my kids. Don't speak for
> me. I do not allow basement parties.
>
> I don't think you are wealthy. I think you wish
> you were. Asshole.

My group would be the wealthier areas...as well as some not so wealthy areas. I know just by your responses you are not around people of different socioeconomic backgrounds. You may not allow basement parties, but many parents do, and your kid goes to them. Let's put it this way-in Fairfax County, if your kid is in high school and goes to alot of parties, he/she a.absolutely drinks b.has a high likelyhood of using drugs, but not definate. Im speaking from experience, unlike you, who probably sits around at home thinking their kid is just playing foosball at parties.

Date: October 28, 2011 01:53PM

So freakout knows his type Wrote:
> I don't think you are wealthy. I think you wish
> you were. Asshole.

You're right, I'm not wealthy, being as I'm in school still. But my parents, shall I say, are better off than most. Good try though, I can almost guarantee I'm living more comfortably than yourself, but w/e. I'm just speaking the truth, which you obviously have a problem with, as if you do not want something to be exposed...

And FCPS is pretty corrupt. You can be charged with a DUI, crash, but have no punishment (even if eveybody knows), but others can be expelled for having alcohol in their backpack. One definately drank, while the other may not have, but the latter is expelled. There are other loopholes such as taking child out of school, blackmail, etc. committed at some schools. And I have personally seen it, so you can claim B.S. all you want, you know it's true.

Date: October 28, 2011 06:01PM

I think zero tolerance is a cop out but if your kid is "accidentally" bringing drug paraphenalia to school, and "mistakenly" coming to school high, we are well passed the point of a one time, or even multiple time mistake.

Your kid has officially graduated to the "bad influence" realm, and should be removed from the familiar circumstances that let him get to where he is now--both for the good of those around him and his own good!

Posted by: No love for FCPS ()
Date: October 28, 2011 07:31PM

Everyone who has kids in FCPS complains about the same issues - it is sickening. Raise your hand if you know a stay at home mom who does all her kid's homework and projects to make sure the A's come home so that they can brag to their superficial neighbors about how their darling got into VT. I was talking to a mom who bragged about her child at WM and I asked her if there was anything at the school that her kid wanted to study and she replied that she didn't know. It disgusts me that parents do their kids homework. It disgusts me that kids continue to email assignments home to parents from college. How many of you know women who stay home all day so they can go to the gym, salon and stores because their main purpose in life is to look good while helping their kids cheat? Fx Co is FULL of these lovely people.

Date: October 30, 2011 08:42AM

No love for FCPS: I am torn, I agree and disagree with your characterization. I see many more stay at home moms that fit your description and are completely disconnected not overinvolved. To some degree teachers put parents in the position to have to do their kids homework. (afterall your kids are competing with the asian kids who do nothing but school work and extracurriculars) The expectations are not humanly doable unless you get help or are a robot. I see these moms who do go to the salon, work out and shop, but have no interest in their kids, and btw-they don't EVER complain at school because they are afraid of conflict, thats the part that makes me maddest. I don't know why you would be bragging about VT, I can see W & M or possibly U Va...

Posted by: Client 9 from Outerspace ()
Date: October 30, 2011 09:17AM

I don't recall anybody smoked weed or did drugs when Mr. Merrell attended Madison back in the '70s. Everyone was so straight as an arrow back then.

Posted by: not bragging about VT ()
Date: October 30, 2011 11:07AM

you are idiots Wrote:
> No love for FCPS: I am torn, I agree and disagree
> with your characterization. I see many more stay
> at home moms that fit your description and are
> completely disconnected not overinvolved. To some
> degree teachers put parents in the position to
> have to do their kids homework. (afterall your
> kids are competing with the asian kids who do
> nothing but school work and extracurriculars) The
> expectations are not humanly doable unless you get
> help or are a robot. I see these moms who do go to
> the salon, work out and shop, but have no interest
> in their kids, and btw-they don't EVER complain at
> school because they are afraid of conflict, thats
> the part that makes me maddest. I don't know why
> you would be bragging about VT, I can see W & M or
> possibly U Va...

I am not bragging about VT - they are - they act like they belong in a special club if they go there. You're right - the school workload with all the activities is too much for a kid who catches the bus at 6:30 AM and plays sports after school - hence the cheating by the mothers. The children of Working mothers and the children of mothers who don't subscribe to this ridiculous game end up going to other colleges based on their own merit and are then judged by the cheating mothers as being inferior. And yes, you are right again, there are mothers who stay at home and get sloshed together in the afternoon after going to the salon and they don't have a clue about their kids.

Posted by: Curious what happened next ()
Date: November 10, 2011 08:22PM

SadMom Wrote:
> This is so depressing. I have currently been
> involved in the FCPS Disciplinary Process (which
> is a joke since there is no process) in which my
> oldest son, who used to go to Madison, has been
> expelled.
> My son was accused of using weed before school and
> forgot about the pipe in his backpack. Yes, he is
> a dumbass. I have come to terms with this fact.
> We haven't been officially notified yet, but two
> (yes, two) of the case workers at the REQUIRED
> alcohol and drug seminar told me about previous
> cases and the similarities with my sons, and
> "wanted me to be prepared" for the eventuality
> that he will be expelled. Yes, they discussed
> other cases. Yes, they told me the hearing was a
> formality.
> But theres been no decision yet. "I understand,
> however, your son will most likely never be able
> to go back".
> Well, damn. What's the point then?
> The representatives at the witch hunt, I mean
> "hearing", we're rude, uninformative, and didn't
> even pretend to care whether my son actually did
> anything or not. They were trying to get him to
> admit to dealing! That was never even a raised
> issue with the police department or the school or
> at any other previous time UNTIL the middle of the
> witch hunt/hearing. It was obvious that the
> principal, vice principal, and the hearing
> administrators knew each other, and knew each
> other quite well. They all receive their paychecks
> from the same school system, which means they all
> have the same goal=protect ourselves from bad
> publicity, which is exactly what Mr. Merrell
> stated. ON THE RECORD.
> Principal Merrell ..."what if another parent had
> found out? Madison would have a black eye on its
> reputation"....seriously?
> Does he even see what people write about Madison?
> Doesn't he realize half of the staff and the
> majority of the upper class students do/carry/been
> around/possessed/seen/hid/smoked/eaten/ or covered
> up marijuana and alcohol use?
> I thought, and I could be wrong, that the primary
> purpose of schooling is for the education of
> children, not a reputation. Maybe the paycheck is
> better that we know about?
> As a parent, if a kid gets caught doing something
> wrong, he is in need of some positive attention. I
> see no benefit from cutting them off from support
> systems, but it seems to be the FCPS way. Trauma,
> issues, whatever you want to call it, all kids
> have them, even in the best of circumstances.
> I am lucky, because my son and I have a good
> enough relationship that will not allow this to
> interfere. My son will have just as bright of a
> future as a chef as he was going to have a month
> ago. Might even brighter without these labeling
> jerks telling them how horrible he is.
>
> And no, these people will not be allowed in his
> restaurant.
>
> P.S.There will be a protest rally. I'm helping the
> kids do it.

So, how did this all turn out? Was he kicked out or did he go to alternative school? And how did the rally go? Didn’t see anything else about.

Posted by: curious too ()
Date: November 10, 2011 08:36PM

Yeah, what happened here?

Posted by: Kurious ()
Date: December 26, 2011 06:43PM

So sad Mom, were you a troll?? What happened to your "weed smoking pipe" carrying child???

Posted by: Dander ()
Date: December 26, 2011 06:50PM

Probably went on to become president, like obama or Clinton. Or maybe a Vice President, like Al Gore. Then again, he maybe be became a billionaire businessman like Bill Gates.

Posted by: fcpsdoeshatekids ()
Date: December 27, 2011 01:40PM

To go back to your original point- FCPS do not care about kids, they seem to care about keeping their jobs and the physical site (the bricks and mortar), it is a repressive and secretive system that seems to do nothing progressive or even useful in terms of education except turn kids off school and onto drugs, can you say self medicate???

Posted by: Response... ()
Date: December 27, 2011 05:25PM

FCPS hates all who don't follow its bullshit rules.

For example, a white kid I know got caught smoking marijuana. He was sent to rehab.

A black kid I know was caught at a later date. He was nearly sent to juvenile hall and forced to go to an alternative school.

Anybody see a problem with this??

Posted by: there is help for you ()
Date: December 27, 2011 05:31PM

fcpsdoeshatekids Wrote:
> To go back to your original point- FCPS do not
> care about kids, they seem to care about keeping
> their jobs and the physical site (the bricks and
> mortar), it is a repressive and secretive system
> that seems to do nothing progressive or even
> useful in terms of education except turn kids off
> school and onto drugs, can you say self
> medicate???

Please find a competant doctor and get some help. The holdays are over and you should be able to now get an appointment. The black helicopters you hear are not owned by the school system.

Posted by: no help for you ()
Date: December 27, 2011 05:55PM

You know "there is help for you": that isn't helpful or even relevant to the discussion, do you need attention or something? go find another thread you troll

Posted by: you know nothing ()
Date: December 27, 2011 07:38PM

It might be helpful to the whack job that decribes the public school system as "secretive and repressive and turning kids to drugs" I'm guessing it was typed over the stench of urine from 80 cats. So thank you for your fucking 2 cents as well, you can go find another thread as well asshole...................

Posted by: Bud Hoal ()
Date: January 06, 2012 07:29PM

I think we are overlooking the obvious. It's not a matter of expelling the kids using drugs. Rather, the evidence of the drug paraphernalia should have been sufficient for a criminal investigation leading to an indictment. I would also venture a guess that any erstwhile detective could have gotten sonny-boy to rat out his parents about their use and/or distribution. Could have been a much better case had the school system not tired to deal with this as an administrative matter...because it's not.

Posted by: farragutwest ()
Date: January 07, 2012 07:42AM

The real issue, which none of you has actually covered at all, is why is it that FCPS DOES NOT care about the students that it serves, they completely miss the point that they have no jobs without the consumers-THE STUDENTS, they aren't there to distribute papers and take care of a building. The policies and actions speak for themselves (only school district in the country that called its discipline policy- "Responsibilities and Rights" instead of the usual Rights and Responsibilities, NOT AN ACCIDENT.

NO HATE, JUST CORRUPT EMPLOYEES AT THE WRONG JOBS
Posted by: FCPS CARES ()
Date: January 07, 2012 08:24AM

STOP THIS THREAD!

REMOVE THIS PLEASE!

THIS IS DIS-RESPECTFUL TO ALL FCPS EMPLOYEES, STAFF, CHILDREN, TRANSPORTATION!

STOP!!!!!!

Posted by: wat? ()
Date: January 07, 2012 03:17PM

First of all, what is "DIS-RESPECTFUL"? Take the caps off, sounds like a FCPS troll.

Posted by: FCPS suck ()
Date: January 07, 2012 05:22PM

They have way too many kids to try and control and not a clue.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: January 07, 2012 05:28PM

It's Madison Time

Fairfaxunderground rules: Lilliputions, not ok. Midgettville ok. I got it now.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.