HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Louise Epstein Doesn't Get It
Posted by: Someone who cares ()
Date: October 19, 2011 12:01AM

Tonight at Kent Gardens Louise tried to back away from the "like bandits" comments of Catherine Lorenz and claim that she can lower class size by reducing central administration staff. But no details, except that, she doesn't believe in instructional support staff. (Okay, so instructional support staff seems to amount to fewer than 100 people, that will take care of class sizes, right there). Louise doesn't seem to get that we have a recession, and it has been hard, and it has been caused by her Republican corhorts. Nothing can be done to make it all right. We just need the current steady hand to do the best we cna.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Louise Epstein Doesn't Get It
Posted by: Another voice ()
Date: October 19, 2011 12:03AM

Language immmersion lowers test scores in math and science.... At least that's what Louise Epstein seemed to say tonight at Kent Gardens. She has "heard" from "many teachers" that students coming out of language immersion programs don't do so well in math and science. Not true, according to the statistics, but she likes listening to disgruntled teachers. She says she is known for doing her research, but really, she doesn't do any research at all.

Posted by: Tyrone ()
Date: October 19, 2011 12:07AM

Why are you commenting on your own thread? Don't you morons have your own thread about Epstein? No one cares about your petty bullshit.

Posted by: Gatehouse2? enough said ()
Date: October 19, 2011 12:54AM

So now "someone who cares" might have outed herself as a Kent Gardens parent. Could what is going on here be turf protection by Kent Gardens parents? The school has gotten extra resources compared to neighbors.

Posted by: Thanks! ()
Date: October 19, 2011 07:22AM

Thanks for the tip. We know what Louise and Lorenze's game is, self entitlement.

Posted by: Fool&Mocker ()
Date: October 19, 2011 07:35AM

Interesting. My daughter is an immersion student who is now in 8th grade who is a straight A student and her best subjects are math and science.

I've seen kids who've dropped out of the immersion program early in the program because their parents felt their problems in math came from being in immersion.

Guess what, immersion wasn't the problem.

Posted by: Louise on Defensive ()
Date: October 19, 2011 07:35AM

Not surprised that Louise misspoke again. As the campaign progresses, it becomes clear that she has a deep base of knowledge in a few areas, and that's it. If she's out of touch with others in her own McLean, imagine how ill equipped she'd be to represent others in the district.

Posted by: Parlez vous ()
Date: October 19, 2011 07:42AM

Maybe she doesn't think spending money on French immersion programs is a sensible use of money when we need more students with STEM backgrounds and French is not a particularly useful language to study.

Posted by: wondering about immersion ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:09AM

I would be interested in knowing how much the immersion programs cost to administer. At the school level and at the county level.
Also, there should be some kind of data to support or disprove Epstein's reasoning. FCPS should have this and show it. I think she could be right-or wrong. However, you cannot just compare those who are in the program vs those who are not. There are too many variables--for example, struggling students are not likely to be in an immersion program. I wouldn't think there would be too many ESOL or free-lunch students in there either. They would need to be compared with other kids from the same demographics and background. If FCPS compares an immersion vs non-immersion, you might be comparing apples and oranges.

Posted by: justaking ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:57AM

Parlez vous Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe she doesn't think spending money on French
> immersion programs is a sensible use of money when
> we need more students with STEM backgrounds and
> French is not a particularly useful language to
> study.

is that true, French is not a useful language to study?
Don't people go into that program by chgoice? (meaning they have decided it is a useful language to study)?
My kid hated Spanish, so now we need another language. French seems as good as any others. I don't think college admissions people give more weight to one foreign language over another do they?

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: October 19, 2011 09:06AM

When we have 30+ kids in gen ed classes, how can we afford immersion classes in some of the most esoteric languages, such as French and Japanese?

Hindi, Mandarin, Spanish, cool, but Italian is just pretentious. Get you kid a tutor, lower class sizes and cut the taxpayers some slack.

Same thing with elementary string instruction. Nice to have but not essential.

Posted by: Another voice ()
Date: October 19, 2011 09:33AM

It doesn't make sense to cut out long-term programs like language immersion or strings in response to a (hopefully) temporary economic downturn. The current staffng ratio for elementary schools is slightly above 26 students per class, which means that some classes might get as high as 30, but others will be below 25 -- children don't come in even-numbered packages. Rather than cutting out language immersion or strings, which would be very difficult to build back up in good times, it makes more sense to look to Janie's approach, which is to build in some extra staff for each cluster that can be directed where th need is greatest for now, and then change the staffing ratio back to its pre-recession level as soon as times are better. Don't destroy these "nonessential" programs, they are a major part of what makes Fairfax Fairfax.

Posted by: former teacher ()
Date: October 19, 2011 09:36AM

I partly agree with Thomas More on this one. (I don't agree with him on Japanese and French being of lesser importance--that fluctuates over time.) I do agree that FCPS must prioritize what it needs. I think immersion programs and FLES are "nice to have." But, in tight budget times, is this what we really need in FCPS?

In my mind FCPS must prioritize its educational needs:
1. Decent class size for ALL FCPS schools.
2. Additional money must be appropriated for at-risk students and ESOL--but within limits that do not harm priority number 1. ALL students deserve to have the basics--even those in affluent schools.
3. Gatehouse staff must be reduced and those slots used in the schools.
4. Each school has its own needs--there should be some standardization, but schools must be allowed to adjust to its own requirements.

In my mind, special programs such as immersion and GT centers should be greatly reduced. Most GT kids can fit into a regular classroom. Any good teacher should be able to meet the needs of GT kids. Teachers have to deal with LD kids along with strong students--why should GT kids be pulled out?
Before you yell at me, I am the parent of a GT kid who stayed within the regular system and did great. I also taught school in a system that did not have GT centers. My students spanned all levels. Here's a secret: even GT kids span all levels. No elementary class has any two students that are exactly the same. A good teacher knows that. And, no, it does not require using the GT kids as tutors. It means using creativity and imagination to find work and projects that intrigue them--something that should be done with ALL students.

Unintended consequences of special programs are transportation expenses and larger class sizes for all. Also support staff and crowds at "kiss and ride." Community schools greatly increase parental involvement-and they cost less money to run. I hate these mega elementary schools that FCPS is developing. I don't think they are as effective.

Posted by: up ()
Date: October 19, 2011 09:46AM

Why does one poster start another negative thread about Epstein, then post another comment under a new name to make it seem like there are several people who agree?

Posted by: hereyago ()
Date: October 19, 2011 10:04AM

up Wrote:
> Why does one poster start another negative thread
> about Epstein, then post another comment under a
> new name to make it seem like there are several
> people who agree?

probably for the same reason one poster (Lorenze?) started the Janie Needs to Go thread and then some of her minions jumped in under a new name to make it sound like there are several people who agree.

Read ther article: Lorenze is a "Republican strategist." Pretty much says it all in my book.

Posted by: Gatehouse2? enough said ()
Date: October 19, 2011 10:07AM

Another voice Wrote:
> It doesn't make sense to cut out long-term
> programs like language immersion or strings in
> response to a (hopefully) temporary economic
> downturn. The current staffng ratio for
> elementary schools is slightly above 26 students
> per class, which means that some classes might get
> as high as 30, but others will be below 25 --
> children don't come in even-numbered packages.
> Rather than cutting out language immersion or
> strings, which would be very difficult to build
> back up in good times, it makes more sense to look
> to Janie's approach, which is to build in some
> extra staff for each cluster that can be directed
> where th need is greatest for now, and then change
> the staffing ratio back to its pre-recession level
> as soon as times are better. Don't destroy these
> "nonessential" programs, they are a major part of
> what makes Fairfax Fairfax.

If a group of 25 to 30 students is doing part of core subjects in French why the extra staff? I found a blog via google about Kent Gardens:

http://peelbacktheapple.blogspot.com/p/haycock-vs-kent-gardens.html

Posted by: Janie Strauss Tax Games ()
Date: October 19, 2011 10:43AM

Why do we in Dranesville pay some of the highest tax bills in the county yet we have some of the largest class sizes?

Because Janie Strauss agreed to send a disproportionately large amount of our taxes to other districts.

Is this what we want? To pay the most taxes and have our kids sit in overcrowded classes?

This is what we get with Janie. This is the way it has always been and when we vote her back into office, this is what we will get going forward.

Posted by: Janie buys votes ()
Date: October 21, 2011 01:16PM

Report Year : 2011

Candidates : Strauss Jane "Janie" K
Report Codes : CC20110007(0)
Filing Period : 09/01/2011 - 09/30/2011

CC20110007 Geller Rebecca 8013 Clippenham Ct - Fairfax Station - VA - 22039 campaign strategy services Janie Strauss 9/21/2011 10000

********************************************************************************

Please refer all press inquiries to Rebecca Geller via FairfaxFullDayKindergarten@gmail.com. ...

*********************************************************************************

What a fabulous journey we shared together! This letter is to encourage you to remember to keep our promise.

When writing letters and making speeches, we promised: "we will remember you in November." Now, it is time to fulfill our promise. Please see below the list of 6 candidates who will be re-running and voted in favor of FDK funding.

Janie Strauss - Dranesville

Kathy Smith - Sully

Dan Stork - Mt. Vernon

Patty Reed - Providence

Ilryong Moon - Member-At- Large

Sandy Evans - Mason

Almost 100 years of institutional knowledge departs with 6 school board members as well our Superintendent. Our schools are the "crown jewel" of Fairfax. We must ensure that the remaining 6 incumbents are re-elected to enable a smooth transition this year. Managing a $2.2 billion enterprise requires experience.

Janie pays $10,000 to Geller...and then she (FDK) endorse Janie.

Posted by: Gift That Keeps on Giving ()
Date: October 21, 2011 04:29PM

For local Democrats, foot-in-the-mouth "strategist" and "expert" Catherine Lorenze is the gift that keeps on giving:

Democratic School Board Candidates Unanimously Support Needs-Based Funding
Democrats United Following GOP Strategist’s
Controversial Remarks

FAIRFAX - All Democratic-endorsed school board candidates in Fairfax County support a school funding formula that provides added resources to schools with high numbers of at-risk students, so all students get a fair and equitable shot at academic success. The needs-based formula helps Fairfax County Public School students overcome challenges such as impoverished backgrounds, language barriers, little or no computer access, and homes where there may not be a quiet place to study or enough food to eat.

This formula has been in place for several years, has enjoyed bipartisan support, and is a basic foundation for FCPS—one of the most respected school systems in the country.

The Democratic candidates were responding to last Friday’s controversial remarks to the Washington Post criticizing needs-based funding made by a Republican school board election strategist (“GOP strategist shapes Fairfax schools race,” October 14, 2011). Republican Catherine Lorenze, who is advising several GOP school board candidates, reportedly stated that poor neighborhoods in Fairfax “make out like bandits” compared with affluent areas, such as the McLean neighborhood where she lives.

Ilryong Moon, an at-large school board member with 12 years of experience and running for a fourth term, stated, “I have always supported the needs-based staffing formula and will resist any effort to dismantle it. This is about believing every single one of our students should have the opportunity to succeed, even those who have special circumstances that require more educational resources. We need a level playing field. FCPS is a world-class school system that does, should, and must continue performing for all of its students whether in special education, regular education, advanced academic, or ESOL classes or from a well-to-do or economically challenged family.”

A second Democratic-endorsed at-large candidate, Ted Velkoff stated, “I unequivocally support the current FCPS staffing formula that targets extra resources to schools and populations in greatest need.”

Ryan McElveen, another Democratic-endorsed candidate running for one of the three at-large seats wrote on his campaign blog, "The idea that students in an economically disadvantaged part of the county receive increasing school funding is critical to narrowing the achievement gap. I intend to continue the work of our school board to close the gaps inherent in a system that has students from all corners of the economic spectrum."

Current Dranesville school board member and Chairman Janie Strauss told the Washington Post, “If we don’t help the kids who need additional help, we are wasting the minds and talents of many of our citizens.” Strauss added that her top priority if re-elected will be to reduce class size in her Dranesville district which includes McLean, but she made clear she will get it done “without negatively impacting students at other schools.”

“Ultimately, all of society benefits when we provide extra support for those who need it so we have an educated community,” wrote Mason district school board member and candidate for re-election Sandy Evans to her supporters after the remarks were printed. She added that the needs-based formula is critical in her district.

Kathy Smith, the Sully district incumbent seeking re-election stated, "I fully support the needs-based staffing formula which created a cost effective way to meet the requirements of our neediest students. We focus resources where they are needed to help children achieve. My commitment and the commitment of FCPS are to help all children achieve to their fullest potential."

Megan McLaughlin, running in the Braddock district wrote a comment online to the newspaper stating, “I fully support ‘Needs Based Staffing’, which ensures smaller class sizes in our most challenged schools. It is one of the most important methods for narrowing the achievement gap. It's unfortunate that this article creates the impression that it's a zero-sum game; that in order to reduce class sizes in more affluent parts of the county, you have to take teachers away from schools with economically disadvantaged students. Nothing could be further from the truth. I advocate for smaller class sizes, and believe it can be accomplished by having budget priorities that focus on the classroom. As such, FCPS needs to ensure all of its schools have reasonable class sizes so that every child has access to a quality education.”

Patricia Hynes, the Democratic-endorsed school board candidate for Hunter Mill district, expressed her support for needs-based funding. "Denying schools with higher concentrations of poverty the extra resources they need not only hurts the children at those schools. It also hurts the teachers who need that extra support to do their jobs."

The Democratic-endorsed candidate in the Springfield district, John Wittman added, “We need to reduce student achievement gaps everywhere in Fairfax County. By providing additional teachers to those schools with the greatest need, students identified with academic deficiencies have a supplemental opportunity to succeed in our schools, and later in life. Without such consideration, many students will linger in our school system year after year, never achieving to their inner potential. It is a time of constrained resources, but nevertheless we must build our community’s future child by child.”

Lee district candidate Tamara Derenak Kaufax stated, "I find it unfortunate that the vocal critics who claim they want school reform lack an understanding of the many complex and varied needs of all of our diverse student body. To try and pit the needs of one group of students against another is not what we need from our elected officials. I want all children in our public schools to have the skills and knowledge they need to reach their fullest potential. This will be a priority for me in my district and throughout the county."

Mount Vernon incumbent Dan Storck, who is running for re-election, said, "I strongly support the staffing formula, not only having helped develop it and voting for it for elementary and middle schools during my first term on the School Board, but supporting the expansion of it to high schools during my second term. It has made a huge difference in helping to make sure that not only all our students learn the "3 Rs", but that all our students learn other essential 21st Century skills.”

Fairfax County Democratic Committee Chair Rex Simmons said, “Republican election strategist Catherine Lorenze has caustically attempted to divide our community with her elitist, Rush Limbaugh-type comments. She should take back her hurtful words and apologize. Lorenze’s parochial and partisan approach to school board elections is the antithesis of the highly successful ‘Fairfax Way’ of investing in a world class public education system that makes our county a destination of choice for so many of the nation’s best employers.”

Simmons added, “Voters ought to ask school board candidates whether they support a needs-based funding formula for schools with programs that benefit all students or whether they intend to cut resources for at-risk children and put communities at odds with each other. Democrats believe the Fairfax County Public School system is supposed to be world class for all students in the county. We have an obligation to educate all students. And we recognize not all our students enter the race for education quality on equal footing.”

Every Fairfax County school board seat is up for election on November 8, and each voter will have an opportunity to choose a district school board member and three at-large members.

Posted by: Tyrone ()
Date: October 22, 2011 03:17AM

Thank you for copy and pasting the below. If it wasn't for you, I may have never discovered this information. Based upon the valuable information that you have documented, my vote is now informed.

Thank you.

Gift That Keeps on Giving Wrote:
> For local Democrats, foot-in-the-mouth
> "strategist" and "expert" Catherine Lorenze is the
> gift that keeps on giving:
>
> Democratic School Board Candidates Unanimously
> Support Needs-Based Funding
> Democrats United Following GOP Strategist’s
> Controversial Remarks
>
> FAIRFAX - All Democratic-endorsed school board
> candidates in Fairfax County support a school
> funding formula that provides added resources to
> schools with high numbers of at-risk students, so
> all students get a fair and equitable shot at
> academic success. The needs-based formula helps
> Fairfax County Public School students overcome
> challenges such as impoverished backgrounds,
> language barriers, little or no computer access,
> and homes where there may not be a quiet place to
> study or enough food to eat.
>
> This formula has been in place for several years,
> has enjoyed bipartisan support, and is a basic
> foundation for FCPS—one of the most respected
> school systems in the country.
>
> The Democratic candidates were responding to last
> Friday’s controversial remarks to the Washington
> Post criticizing needs-based funding made by a
> Republican school board election strategist
> (“GOP strategist shapes Fairfax schools race,”
> October 14, 2011). Republican Catherine Lorenze,
> who is advising several GOP school board
> candidates, reportedly stated that poor
> neighborhoods in Fairfax “make out like
> bandits” compared with affluent areas, such as
> the McLean neighborhood where she lives.
>
> Ilryong Moon, an at-large school board member with
> 12 years of experience and running for a fourth
> term, stated, “I have always supported the
> needs-based staffing formula and will resist any
> effort to dismantle it. This is about believing
> every single one of our students should have the
> opportunity to succeed, even those who have
> special circumstances that require more
> educational resources. We need a level playing
> field. FCPS is a world-class school system that
> does, should, and must continue performing for all
> of its students whether in special education,
> regular education, advanced academic, or ESOL
> classes or from a well-to-do or economically
> challenged family.”
>
> A second Democratic-endorsed at-large candidate,
> Ted Velkoff stated, “I unequivocally support the
> current FCPS staffing formula that targets extra
> resources to schools and populations in greatest
> need.”
>
> Ryan McElveen, another Democratic-endorsed
> candidate running for one of the three at-large
> seats wrote on his campaign blog, "The idea that
> students in an economically disadvantaged part of
> the county receive increasing school funding is
> critical to narrowing the achievement gap. I
> intend to continue the work of our school board to
> close the gaps inherent in a system that has
> students from all corners of the economic
> spectrum."
>
> Current Dranesville school board member and
> Chairman Janie Strauss told the Washington Post,
> “If we don’t help the kids who need additional
> help, we are wasting the minds and talents of many
> of our citizens.” Strauss added that her top
> priority if re-elected will be to reduce class
> size in her Dranesville district which includes
> McLean, but she made clear she will get it done
> “without negatively impacting students at other
> schools.”
>
> “Ultimately, all of society benefits when we
> provide extra support for those who need it so we
> have an educated community,” wrote Mason
> district school board member and candidate for
> re-election Sandy Evans to her supporters after
> the remarks were printed. She added that the
> needs-based formula is critical in her district.
>
> Kathy Smith, the Sully district incumbent seeking
> re-election stated, "I fully support the
> needs-based staffing formula which created a cost
> effective way to meet the requirements of our
> neediest students. We focus resources where they
> are needed to help children achieve. My commitment
> and the commitment of FCPS are to help all
> children achieve to their fullest potential."
>
> Megan McLaughlin, running in the Braddock district
> wrote a comment online to the newspaper stating,
> “I fully support ‘Needs Based Staffing’,
> which ensures smaller class sizes in our most
> challenged schools. It is one of the most
> important methods for narrowing the achievement
> gap. It's unfortunate that this article creates
> the impression that it's a zero-sum game; that in
> order to reduce class sizes in more affluent parts
> of the county, you have to take teachers away from
> schools with economically disadvantaged students.
> Nothing could be further from the truth. I
> advocate for smaller class sizes, and believe it
> can be accomplished by having budget priorities
> that focus on the classroom. As such, FCPS needs
> to ensure all of its schools have reasonable class
> sizes so that every child has access to a quality
> education.”
>
> Patricia Hynes, the Democratic-endorsed school
> board candidate for Hunter Mill district,
> expressed her support for needs-based funding.
> "Denying schools with higher concentrations of
> poverty the extra resources they need not only
> hurts the children at those schools. It also hurts
> the teachers who need that extra support to do
> their jobs."
>
> The Democratic-endorsed candidate in the
> Springfield district, John Wittman added, “We
> need to reduce student achievement gaps everywhere
> in Fairfax County. By providing additional
> teachers to those schools with the greatest need,
> students identified with academic deficiencies
> have a supplemental opportunity to succeed in our
> schools, and later in life. Without such
> consideration, many students will linger in our
> school system year after year, never achieving to
> their inner potential. It is a time of constrained
> resources, but nevertheless we must build our
> community’s future child by child.”
>
> Lee district candidate Tamara Derenak Kaufax
> stated, "I find it unfortunate that the vocal
> critics who claim they want school reform lack an
> understanding of the many complex and varied needs
> of all of our diverse student body. To try and pit
> the needs of one group of students against another
> is not what we need from our elected officials. I
> want all children in our public schools to have
> the skills and knowledge they need to reach their
> fullest potential. This will be a priority for me
> in my district and throughout the county."
>
> Mount Vernon incumbent Dan Storck, who is running
> for re-election, said, "I strongly support the
> staffing formula, not only having helped develop
> it and voting for it for elementary and middle
> schools during my first term on the School Board,
> but supporting the expansion of it to high schools
> during my second term. It has made a huge
> difference in helping to make sure that not only
> all our students learn the "3 Rs", but that all
> our students learn other essential 21st Century
> skills.”
>
> Fairfax County Democratic Committee Chair Rex
> Simmons said, “Republican election strategist
> Catherine Lorenze has caustically attempted to
> divide our community with her elitist, Rush
> Limbaugh-type comments. She should take back her
> hurtful words and apologize. Lorenze’s parochial
> and partisan approach to school board elections is
> the antithesis of the highly successful ‘Fairfax
> Way’ of investing in a world class public
> education system that makes our county a
> destination of choice for so many of the
> nation’s best employers.”
>
> Simmons added, “Voters ought to ask school board
> candidates whether they support a needs-based
> funding formula for schools with programs that
> benefit all students or whether they intend to cut
> resources for at-risk children and put communities
> at odds with each other. Democrats believe the
> Fairfax County Public School system is supposed to
> be world class for all students in the county. We
> have an obligation to educate all students. And we
> recognize not all our students enter the race for
> education quality on equal footing.”
>
> Every Fairfax County school board seat is up for
> election on November 8, and each voter will have
> an opportunity to choose a district school board
> member and three at-large members.

Posted by: Was at the meeting myself ()
Date: October 24, 2011 10:29AM

There were 20 people at Kent Gardens when Strauss and Epstein visited. The audience was comprised of the same ten that always go and are PTA board members or lifetime room parents.

Additionally, there were 5 teachers and there were 5 people who have children in college now. (Brought in as reinforcements)... the ones who are still hanging on as dingle-berries to Robyn Hooker.

Epstein supports immersion when it is working for the school. She said repeatedly that she wants schools to have options besides the immersion model. Some KGES folk (PTA) are just paranoid and spreading bad rumors about Louise.

And/or some Dems will go to any level to keep their folks in office. Lorenze has crossed party lines to build bridges when it comes to what's best for our children..... more parent involvement, more data-based decision making and more fcps accountability.

No one is perfect. Louise is better than Janie. Put our kids first.

Posted by: don'tbuyit ()
Date: October 24, 2011 11:07AM

Was at the meeting myself Wrote:
> There were 20 people at Kent Gardens when Strauss
> and Epstein visited. The audience was comprised of
> the same ten that always go and are PTA board
> members or lifetime room parents.
>
> Additionally, there were 5 teachers and there were
> 5 people who have children in college now.
> (Brought in as reinforcements)... the ones who are
> still hanging on as dingle-berries to Robyn
> Hooker.
>
> Epstein supports immersion when it is working for
> the school. She said repeatedly that she wants
> schools to have options besides the immersion
> model. Some KGES folk (PTA) are just paranoid and
> spreading bad rumors about Louise.
>
> And/or some Dems will go to any level to keep
> their folks in office. Lorenze has crossed party
> lines to build bridges when it comes to what's
> best for our children..... more parent
> involvement, more data-based decision making and
> more fcps accountability.
>
>
> No one is perfect. Louise is better than Janie.
> Put our kids first.

Sorry, not buying it for a minute. "dinigle-berries"? "bandits." Always with the name calling. I find it unprofessional and unsavory and hope it backfires. I was uncommitted untill I started reading these various posts on behalf of Epstein.

Posted by: Vinny B. ()
Date: October 24, 2011 11:38AM

Is she Juan Epstein's mother?

Posted by: Radically Independent ()
Date: October 24, 2011 11:52AM

Was at the meeting myself Wrote:
> Lorenze has crossed party
> >
> No one is perfect. Louise is better than Janie.
> Put our kids first.

You lost me with the description of Lorenze as one who "builds bridges." The BS meter spiked at that point and never came back down.

Catherine only cares about Catherine, and Louise only cares about TJ.

Between the two of them, our kids would not come first. Janie is far better suited to serve on the School Board than Louise.

Posted by: Strauss team ()
Date: October 24, 2011 12:39PM

The Strauss supporters have been name-calling and bad-mouthing Epstein. If you don't like Catherine Lorenze, fine, but don't portray the Strauss divas to be well-bred, genteel folks who are above power cliques.

Why does Janie Strauss seem so desperate to keep this stupid job? Is the job that wonderful?

Posted by: Since You Asked ()
Date: October 24, 2011 01:02PM

School Board races aren't usually so heated. There's only one reason why there's been so much vitriol this year: Catherine Lorenze.

Why is Lorenze so desperate to get "her candidates" elected to School Board positions? Is her life that unfulfilling?

Posted by: Lorenze=bridge? ()
Date: October 24, 2011 01:17PM

And/or some Dems will go to any level to keep
> their folks in office. Lorenze has crossed party

WHAT? Can you read? Lorenze doesn't BUILD bridges; she burns them. Kingmaker, indeed.

Posted by: Strauss video ()
Date: October 24, 2011 01:27PM

Did anyone listen to the Strauss video at Haycock? If I were her daughter, I'd be ticked off. TMI

Posted by: Derp ()
Date: October 24, 2011 01:30PM

How do you listen to a video?

Posted by: On Catherine's Bridge ()
Date: October 24, 2011 01:31PM

Did anyone [watch] to the [Lorenze] video at [Skinemax]? If I were her [Husband], I'd be ticked off. TMI

Posted by: she's hot ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:56PM

sounds like a few of you people are a little jealous of Catherine.

Posted by: Please, Child ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:59PM

she's hot Wrote:
> sounds like a few of you people are a little
> jealous of Catherine.

Well, what's not to be jealous about? She's about to become the Titanic/Hindenberg (pick one) of Fairfax County right wing soccer mom political operatives! Her "chosen" candidates can't run far enough AWAY from her! She's Karl Rove WITH the charming good looks and personality, and without the success!

Frankly, if she'd just go away, that'd be fine.

Posted by: don't get ahead of yourself ()
Date: October 24, 2011 03:02PM

say it after the election

Posted by: OK . . . ()
Date: October 24, 2011 03:14PM

But it's so fun to see it NOW, as her candidates scurry away from Catherine like she's on fire.

Posted by: Janie Debate Fail ()
Date: October 26, 2011 10:06AM

What really comes across from Janie's debate blah blah blah last night is that, after 18 years of being in her job, now that she's finally on the hot seat with an election opponent, she's NOW gonna do this and she's gonna do that and work on this and work on that.

Examples from the debates:

Now she's gonna get class sizes down.

Now she's gonna improve math scores.

Now she's gonna improve auditing.

Now she's gonna get more money for the teachers.

Now she's gonna listen to parents.

Now she's gonna get teachers off pay freezes.

Now she's gonna get our kids out of trailers.

Now she's gonna put the head admin on a diet.

Now she's gonna inform parents when their kids get into trouble.

Now she's gonna de-emphasize SOL scores.

Now she's gonna not just do whatever Dale tells her to do.

Now she's gonna support Fairgrade.

Where has Janie been for the last 18 years? What has she been doing for us? Answers: sleeping and nothing, respectively.

Hey Janie, you are a lying, hypocritical, know-nothing, comatose, bag of irredeemable incompentence.

You should just go hide yourself until after the election.

18 years of failure are 18 too many.

Posted by: CuttyPastey ()
Date: October 26, 2011 11:15AM

Low-ise and the Poison Apple Mom will need some physical therapy for their hands after all the cut-and-pasting they've done here.

Posted by: Janie Debate Win ()
Date: October 26, 2011 12:55PM

"18 years of failure are 18 too many."

Well said, by someone who JUST NOW IS GETTING INVOLVED, on a message board, by whining and stirring up negative stuff but not actually doing anything of value like Volunteering, joining the PTA and NOT getting kicked-out or just doing some real research on the subject. Any research instead of taking stuff you have heard and cutting and repasting that.

Posted by: Cash for Votes Sleazebag Janie Strauss ()
Date: October 27, 2011 04:12PM

Who is FDK? Wrote:
> Who is FDK? Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Janie buys votes Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> >
> > >
> > > Janie pays $10,000 to Geller...and then she
> > (FDK)
> > > endorse Janie.
> >
> >
> > Interestingly, Fairfax for Full Day
> Kindergarten
> > seems to be nothing more than a Facebook page.
> > The Facebook page says it's a non-profit
> > organization, but it has no filings listed on
> > Guidestar.org or on the VBOE site as a
> political
> > committee. Very opaque considering that close
> to
> > 20% of Janie's campaign funds are being
> funneled
> > that way.
>
> This is the 'core team' for Fairfax for FDK - who
> are they?
>
> Jamye Specht, Georgia Clark, Jill Castleman,
> Melissa Mihoko, Rebecca Geller, Natalie Robinson,
> Shaista Keating
>
> The first one has a degree in 'Fitness Management'
> and lists skin care as an interest. Excellent
> qualifications for steering education policy.

Cash for votes for cash for votes scam.

What's going on here, Janie?

Is this legal or is it just unethical?

Posted by: LaDiDah, cut and paste ()
Date: October 27, 2011 04:16PM

Votes for Cash Wrote:
>
> Who are these women trading [unsupported allegations] and [gift certificates for face lifts] for
> [the chance to whine about about those bandits on Route 1]?
>
> Is this legal?
>
> What is going on here, [Catherine]?

Fixed that for you. Let's see, I think there's one more . . .

Posted by: Big Dollar Catherine. ()
Date: October 27, 2011 04:33PM

From the Patch, today:

In September she [Epstein] collected nearly $11,000 in campaign contributions, both cash and in-kind. Of that amount, about $4,300 was in-kind contributions from her media consultant Catherine Lorenze. Lorenze has contributed about $60,000 in in-kind contributions to Epstein since the beginning of the campaign, according to reports filed with the state of Virginia.

Sometimes when Louise talks, you can see Catherine's lips moving.

Posted by: Janie Strauss' List ()
Date: October 28, 2011 01:41PM

Now that Louise Epstein is challenging Janie, Janie has made a list of all the things she should have done during the last 18 years. If she's elected, she's FOR SURE not gonna do any of the things on her list. After all, since she'll have the job for life, why should she start doing good things now? Duh...

Here is the list:

she's gonna get class sizes down.

she's gonna improve math scores.

she's gonna improve auditing.

she's gonna get more money for the teachers.

she's gonna listen to parents.

she's gonna get teachers off pay freezes.

she's gonna get our kids out of trailers.

she's gonna put the headquarters administration on a diet.

she's gonna inform parents when their kids get into trouble.

she's gonna de-emphasize SOL scores.

she's gonna not just do whatever Dale tells her to do.

she's gonna support Fairgrade.

she's not gonna support any more Gatehouse projects.

and finally,

she's gonna try to stop lying!

You vote for Janie Strauss, you are a moron!

Posted by: Janie Strauss Time to Go ()
Date: October 31, 2011 11:09AM

I am scared of Janie and what will happen to my kids at her hands.
Attachments:
janie scary.png

Posted by: Tea Party Whackjobs ()
Date: October 31, 2011 01:44PM

Janie Strauss Time to Go Wrote:
> I am scared of Janie and what will happen to my
> kids at her hands.

Much more Afraid of Lorenze's Tea Party Coalition, and what they'll do to steal resources for their own gain. Collusion here we come!

Posted by: Didn't You Get The Memo? ()
Date: October 31, 2011 02:52PM

Those darned kids on Route 1 -- you know, the kids who, according to Catherine Lorenze and Louise Epstein are "making out like bandits" (despite being, y'know, poor and all) -- are taking all the cash from the spawn of the McLean Mean Moms Mob! Darn it, the McLean kids don't know what to do when they don't get all the cash!

It's really simple. Figure out which candidates are allied with Catherine Lorenze. Then vote for the candidates running AGAINST those candidates.

Posted by: Open Letter of Questions for Janie Strauss ()
Date: November 01, 2011 09:40AM

To Janie Strauss and her campaign:

Please explain how

(1.) Janie's family is so involved with crime here in Fairfax County
(2.) Janie has got our kids in classes with 35-37 kids/teacher
(3.) Janie has so many of our kids in these horrible trailers
(4.) Janie tried to kill Fairgrade and now tries to take credit for it
(5.) Janie voted against notification of parents
(6.) Janie voted to build this huge office complex called Gatehouse
(7.) Janie purchased votes and endorsements from FDK with campaign money from other donors
(8.) Janie ignores Herndon completely all the time
(9.) Janie makes parents in Langley purchase toilet seats for the bathrooms
(10.) Janie's biggest backer, Elizabeth Lodal, claims that Asian students are cheaters

That's a start.

How about some explanations, Janie?

Posted by: Your Own Worst Enemy ()
Date: November 01, 2011 10:00AM

Do you think Lose-ise ever looks around these days, and says to herself, "Man, it was a bad day when I decided to turn my campaign over to the Wicked Witch. If I'd just run a reasonably positive campaign, who knows what would have happened?"

Too late now.

Date: November 01, 2011 10:45AM

Haven't we all seen negative campaigns work? I think Catherine is running Louise's campaign to demonstrate she can deliver Fairfax voters and get in line for consulting work in next year's elections.

Posted by: I wonder ()
Date: November 02, 2011 03:23PM

I don't know Janie Strauss, but judging from how she and her supporters on this blog have viciously attacked Louise and Lorenze, Strauss must be an awful person.

Posted by: a voter ()
Date: November 02, 2011 03:59PM

Now you're trying a typical Republican trick -- if you have a weakness, turn it around onto your opponent. One of Louise's principal weaknesses is the nasty campaign she and Catherine Lorenze have run. So now Louis's supporters are suddenly flooding this forum with comments saying that Janie is the one who is running a nasty campaign. This seems like a Catherine Lorenze trick, after all she is the one who knows the Republican playbook like the back of her hand.

Posted by: Iluvirony ()
Date: November 02, 2011 04:05PM

a voter Wrote:
> Now you're trying a typical Republican trick -- if
> you have a weakness, turn it around onto your
> opponent. One of Louise's principal weaknesses is
> the nasty campaign she and Catherine Lorenze have
> run. So now Louis's supporters are suddenly
> flooding this forum with comments saying that
> Janie is the one who is running a nasty campaign.
> This seems like a Catherine Lorenze trick, after
> all she is the one who knows the Republican
> playbook like the back of her hand.

I love irony. First you call your opponent's supporters goons, zombies, morons (to name just a few), then turn around and call them negative and mudslingers when they point out that you are in fact running a nasty, mudslinging campaign. Doubt it will work, but who knows?

Posted by: C'mon Man ()
Date: November 02, 2011 04:36PM

Janie is not responsible for what some idiots post on this stupid board, just like Louise is not responsible for what some other idiots post on this stupid board.

But, Catherine owns her website and is Louise's manager. Louise is reponsible for what Catherine posts on her website. If Louise is not responsible for what Catherine posts she certainly should be given what it has done to inflame this race and hurt her chances to win.

Just calling it like most people see it. C'mon Man, be realistic.

Posted by: website reader ()
Date: November 02, 2011 05:00PM

What is wrong with Louise's website?

I don't find anything offensive on it.

It is a fact that when you run against an incumbent that a candidate does have to run against the incumbent's record--as the incumbent must run on their own record.

If Janie's record is good, there should be no problem in her reelection. If not, then she has a problem.

What one reads on this board is anonymous. There could be any number of posters--or not!

Posted by: RAM Not Proper Reading Material ()
Date: November 02, 2011 07:02PM

website reader Wrote:
> What is wrong with Louise's website?
>
> I don't find anything offensive on it.
>
> It is a fact that when you run against an
> incumbent that a candidate does have to run
> against the incumbent's record--as the incumbent
> must run on their own record.
>
> If Janie's record is good, there should be no
> problem in her reelection. If not, then she has a
> problem.
>
> What one reads on this board is anonymous. There
> could be any number of posters--or not!

I think the other poster was referring to Lorenze's web site (Red Apple Mom), not Epstein's. Read her post.

There is nothing wrong with Epstein's web site, other than the fact that the featured picture of Louise is air-brushed and doesn't look a lot like the/a real person, who has more than a few bags/lines typical of a woman of her age. Which would be less of an issue if Lorenze didn't go around calling Strauss "old," "tired" and a "granny" with some frequency.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.