HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Looking for DUI Attorney/ Advice
Posted by: FFxU757 ()
Date: January 18, 2008 04:43PM

Looking for DUI attorney for 19 year old college student. He is a 4.0 student at Old Dominion College. Had a recorded BAC of .04 at the station. The charges received "Driving after illegally consuming alcohol" which is section 266.1 charge. Called Zero tolerance charge or baby dui. Also received a charge for possession of alcohol which was locked in the back of a car. He is looking for an attorney to represent him in the fairfax county area with modest legal fees. What are possible outcomes an attorney could do, than have him without an attorney. Any advice about these cases or experiences are welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for DUI Attorney/ Advice
Posted by: Good Speller ()
Date: January 18, 2008 05:21PM

go to www.dui.com

I'm sure they can advise you how stupid it would be to not have an attorney.

A good lawyer can get it knocked down to reckless driving, but there still may be a possession charge.

I've never used that guy.

A friend of mine used to work for Michael Reiger and said he did good work in getting charges reduced. His office is right next to the new courthouse in Fairfax.

Posted by: Haiti ()
Date: January 18, 2008 05:25PM

Old Dominion... How typical.

Posted by: § ()
Date: January 18, 2008 05:33PM

This guy is guaranteed to have the charges dropped. -§

http://www.wc.com/attorney.cfm?attorney_id=212

Posted by: NatsNskins ()
Date: January 18, 2008 05:39PM

That WC guys is going to extremely expensive, not sure of other attorneys though.

Date: January 18, 2008 06:53PM

I know - I posted as a joke. He's one of DC's top litigators specializing in white-collar defense. A non-refundable retainer north of $100k to start, I'm sure. LOL. -§

Posted by: Maeve ()
Date: January 18, 2008 08:31PM

Use Jim Love in Fairfax. You will not be disappointed. Iv'e never had any reason to use his services myself but word of mouth is that the guy's very talented.

Posted by: DAG ()
Date: January 18, 2008 09:18PM

Mmmm...let's see here.

19 with a soft DUI charge. You better hire some talent - cause the Juvenille judge
will be looking to make an example out of your fine young rear-end.

Posted by: Tricki ()
Date: January 18, 2008 09:22PM

There won't be any juvenile judge for this law breaker. At age 19, he is an adult. Make him pay for the attorney.

Posted by: ? ()
Date: January 18, 2008 09:34PM

Sure, the shucking and jiving of lawyers is just great for protecting your rear and dancing around the facts and truth, but how 'bout he just tell the truth in court? I'm going to assume he was driving your vehicle since most Fairfax County youth would never be caught dead actually working or paying for their own wheels. I'm certain one of the penalties is losing his license for a while, but if he is going to exercise such poor judgment does he even need to be driving at this point?

Posted by: Carefulwhatyoudo ()
Date: January 18, 2008 10:00PM

If he can only afford modest legal fees, he may as well go in on his own and plead guilty.

Posted by: Native ()
Date: January 18, 2008 10:48PM

here is an advice, put one in the back of his head.

Posted by: Native ()
Date: January 18, 2008 11:00PM

Here is what will happen. Whether or not he will get a lawyer, he will have to do a MANDATORY 5 days in jail and most likely 175 more days suspended(meaning if your dumb fucking ass gets caught again you will do the remaining 175 days plus another charge). Expect court fees to be about or around $2500 and at least 6 months suspended license. This is exactly what has happened to a young girl in Fairfax CITY court, I guess I was one of the last ones on the list but I was arguing an inspection sticker fine and had to listen to everyone elso case before mine came up. This girl had her father with her and a lawyer and still got this punishment. I dragged a friend along and it was a great wake up call for us, while we have never driven intoxicated, this was very eye opening. From my understanding the judge said that at least 5 days in court, suspension of your license and some fines ARE mandatory and yes this was her first dui conviction.

P.S. no judge gives a shit if your a good student. All that means is your parents beat your ass until you got good grades and you got accepted into a good school that you are going to at expense of your folks. If you were this school loving do gooder you wouldnt be in this situation. I saw a Marine get fucked over on a wreckless speeding who was due for deployment with clean record and the judge really cared less..... you will get fucked over but you live and you learn and hopefully you won't step in the same pile of shit twice.

Posted by: Kid ()
Date: January 18, 2008 11:37PM

native could not be any more wrong.....

Posted by: native ()
Date: January 18, 2008 11:51PM

how dare you!!!

Posted by: JTFS 1979 ()
Date: January 19, 2008 12:03AM

If you get an attorney and he beats the charge you will get...nothing. If you're not convicted of a crime you are set free. Whoever the genious is that said 'whether or not you get a lawyer..blah blah blah." is an idiot. James Love is a good DUI atty, but no atty will guarantee ANYTHING, so whom ever you decide to use better be good if you want a shot. Fairfax County turns out DUI convictions like it's a production line. Almost EVERY Judge is a former Commonwealth's Attorney, so the lawyer better have his stuff together, these cops have a lot of practice at winning. Keep your mouth shut and call a lawyer, you'll thank yourself knowing your rights are being looked after by a professional.

Posted by: JFTS 1979 ()
Date: January 19, 2008 12:06AM

And don't f*#$ing drink nad drive, there are those of us on the road that don't need drunk drivers hurting us and our families.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: January 19, 2008 09:38AM

I would chide this kid for being a drunk driver, but that would make me a hypocrite. I used to drive drunk all of the time when I was 19 and stupid. The difference between this guy, and me, and a lot of people on this site, is that this kid got caught and we didn't.

Date: January 19, 2008 09:51AM

very sad, but very true.

Date: January 19, 2008 11:35AM

I am sure mommy and daddy of this kid already working on getting him the best lawyer. If I was his parents I would just let him be on his own and let him learn a lesson. Want a lawyer? go work and bust your ass for $8 an hour until you have enough and do your own homework on finding the right lawyer. Get fucked over in the court? even better, hopefully you learn. Do you think this kid is really going to care and feel bad about what he did outside of court room? Hopefully parents will beat him on his head but he will probably forget all about it and go drunk driving again within a month period but should he have had to work for his own lawyer and had to handle this shit on his own I bet it would never happen to him ever again. It's kind of sick how parents provide everything for their kids until they are fucking 30 . Parents buy their kids cars, cell phones, tuition, cover living expense and everything in between! What the fuck is the point of all that if 95% treat that as a mandatory parent requirement. I mean sure it's good to help your kids out and give them guidence but dont fucking baby sit and shower them with money and buy shit they dont deserve. This is exactly why kids get fucking dui's. If they had to pay for their own tuition and their own way I am sure dui arrests would cut drmatically. It's different when your own shit is on the line, like getting your car repoed when you busted your ass working for it or getting a bad mark on your record when you know you will have to come up with the money for legal fees. I remember when I was roomating with this kid, his transmission went out on his "pass me down" vw. He got so fucking whiny over his parents taking him car shopping and when he didn't get the car of his choise, not to mention the bitching I had to listen over how he has to pay $100 insurance a month. Just shut the fuck up when you are getting a car that your parents will be paying for. His name was on as a co-sighner and the title will be issued in his name. I would have loved my parents if they have me a free car and helped me build a credit with a car loan.

Posted by: Homer ()
Date: January 19, 2008 11:40AM

I'm sure Thackston's (of I-495 fame) father tried to get her the best defense possible as well since she started out with a "baby dui" as well. Look at what happened to her the next time.

Date: January 19, 2008 11:44AM

I really hope his stupid ass decides to go without a lawyer like he has mentioned in the thread start. I am not saying that all kids are ungrateful but some just need a reality check. Trust me stick this kid in jail for 5 days and (hoefully) he will learn however some still don't. I hope he posts after his court date, I want to know what will happen to him

Date: January 19, 2008 11:47AM

§ 18.2-270 in English: The punishment for violations of DUI varies depending upon whether the offense is a first, second, or subsequent offense. It also depends upon whether the blood alcohol level exceeded certain amounts. It also depends upon whether a child was in the car at the time of the arrest. A DUI conviction can be either a misdemeanor or a felony. For a first offense, where one has a blood alcohol level below 0.15, jail would be unusual. However, there is a mandatory 5 day jail sentence for having a blood alcohol level at 0.15 or above, and a mandatory 10 day jail sentence for having a blood alcohol level at 0.21 or above. Second and subsequent offenses have increased mandatory minimum penalties. Ultimately, a felony DUI carries a mandatory minimum penalty of six months in jail. The maximum penalty for a misdemeanor DUI is one year in jail; the maximum for a felony DUI is 5 years in prison. (In addition to jail, there are other penalties, such as a license suspension, alcohol education/treatment, and an ignition interlock device).

Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: January 19, 2008 12:56PM

My advice would be to plead "guilty with explanation." The courts love that.

Date: January 19, 2008 02:24PM

Where can I find more information about Jim Love in Fairfax? Any other recommendations or advice?

Date: January 19, 2008 02:29PM

By the way Native its a 266.1 charge. Called a Soft DUI or driving after illegally consuming alcohol. Your referring to full Adult DUI. It goes to general district court and not juvenile court. The penalties for a 266.1 do not have jail time but rather 6 months lost of license and $500 fine.

Posted by: Homer ()
Date: January 19, 2008 04:26PM

So you want to fight a charge that carries only a $500 fine and 6 month loss of license for a 19 year old kid who drove (probably your car) with alcohol in his system and more in the trunk? Seriously, are you Dick Thackston? Do you even know about that case? He thought his daughter could do no wrong after her first driving after illegally consuming as well. Her continued poor decision making as well as his poor parenting cost that girl, as well as 3 others, their lives. Think about it.

That is the VERY LEAST punishment your kid deserves. I doubt it is the first time he has driven with alcohol in his system either. I heard once upon a time from NHTSA I believe that most drunk drivers drive drunk an average of over 70 times before they get caught once!

Set a good example for your kid. Make him face the heat alone. No lawyers, no coddling, only the truth.

Who knows, maybe a 6 month loss of license might save his life on these roads.

Date: January 19, 2008 05:14PM

Homer, why are you saying "your kid" The guy that originally posted is the one who is being charged . I would fight it no matter what, your future employers especially now days check your background and credit check . They will see it and he would have to explain why he got that charge making an ass out of himself. I belive the charge stays for 11 years but I might be wrong. Fight and beg and suck the judges dick in the chambers if you have to or get your mom to do it (lazy ass kids), whatever but fight it. If by some god given chance that the judge decides to drop it to a lesser charge (wreckless driving) you will be happy and it will free you from dealing with a lot of bs in the future. By the way you will not be in juvenile court . You are an adult you will be dealt with in general court. The courthouse is divided by levels, traffic, civil and criminal. Most likely you will be dealt with in traffic should you not like the judges decision you can appeal and it will be moved up to criminal court where judges are more asshole like. SPEAK WITH YOUR PROSECUTOR AND MAKE A DEAL WITH HIM. You can go without a lawyer ONLY if you have the guts to talk to the prosecutor yourself and beg him to let you go. Bring ALL the proof saying that you are a good moral person. Letter from your school, transcript, do some charity work and get a letter of recommendation......whatever you get the idea.

Posted by: Pete ()
Date: January 19, 2008 08:50PM

Contact David Hall

Law Offices Of Phillips, Beckwith, Hall and Chase 10513 Judicial Drive
Suite 100
Fairfax, VA 22030 (703) 691-4100

Date: January 20, 2008 05:45PM

Pete, do you have any experience with David Hall? How much do his legal fees run?

Posted by: freeflyen ()
Date: January 20, 2008 06:12PM

I would suggest having a talk with Attorney Paul McGlone (www.mcglonelaw.com). Paul is a solid attorney with a long history primarily in Fairfax County. He has represented a few friends of mine and always seems to do a very good job.

Good Luck!

Posted by: lerch ()
Date: January 21, 2008 05:49PM

Jim Love's in the yellow pages under Love & Associates. They're on Judicial Ave. in FF across from courthouse. When you call, make sure you talk to him directly, he'll give you the lowdown on exactly what you can expect from him.

Posted by: Take your lumps ()
Date: January 21, 2008 08:12PM

Dave Hall and Paul McGlone probably want to avoid your case like the plague.

Posted by: FFXU757 ()
Date: January 22, 2008 06:52PM

Does anyone know if the 266.1 charge applies to the new $750 fine each year for three year that come with the normal DUI's? Anyone have experience with the attorney Lance Gardner of Fairfax?

Date: January 22, 2008 08:29PM

No, but I've retained Hall & Oates LLP on a criminal matter. They have the best private eyes in the area. They're watchin' you, watchin' you, watchin' you. -§

http://www.irocknroll.com/images/Hall_Oates_Photo.jpg

Posted by: watcher ()
Date: January 22, 2008 08:38PM

FFXU757 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know if the 266.1 charge applies to
> the new $750 fine each year for three year that
> come with the normal DUI's? Anyone have experience
> with the attorney Lance Gardner of Fairfax?

No, the $300/year for 3 years penalty........

Other misdemeanor convictions for driving and/or motor vehicle-related offense -$300 each year for three years

Date: January 23, 2008 12:02PM

So the 266.1 has a $300 a year tax fine for three years. I guess it maxes out at $900, and is not the $2500 associatedwith dui's. I have not been able to fine any reliable information about the new reckless/dui charges.

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: January 23, 2008 12:34PM

A good lawyer will get the DUI charges dismissed. Make sure the lawyer specializes in DUI cases.

Posted by: Boozehound at law, esq. ()
Date: January 24, 2008 02:52PM

A driving after illegally consuming charge is pretty hard to beat. The officer doesn't have to prove impairment. The arrestee can pass all field sobriety tests and still be convicted of the offense. The standrad of proof is lower than the standard of proof needed for a DWI conviction. The fact that you blew .04 is proof enough that you drove after illegally consuming alcohol. The odor of alcoholic beverage about your person, statements, road side breath test, etc is all that is needed. With that being said, the maximum penalty for driving after illegally consuming, which is only a class 3 misdemeanor offense, is a $500 fine, six month loss of license from date of conviction, and completion of the Alcohol Safety Action Program (ASAP). A restricted license can be be issued at the discretion of the court. If you are convicted of driving after illegally consuming and the abuser fees are not repealed, I believe you 'll be facing 3 payments of $250.

By taking the breath test, which is required by law, you at least made one intelligent decision the night of your arrest. If you had refused the test, you would have been chargedwith refusal and driving after illegally consuming. A first offense refusal conviction would have resulted in the suspension of your license for a year instead of 6 months for the driving after illegally consuming charge.

The possession of alcohol charge (4.1-305)is a more serious offense(class 1 misdemeanor). The max penalty for a class 1 misdemeanor is a $2,500 fine and/or 12 months in jail.

If you look under subsection (F) of the code it allows the court to defer a finding of guilt with the consent of the accused and to place the accused on probation subject to appropriate conditions (possible counseling, license suspension). Upon completion of probation the court will dismiss the charge. Only first time offenders are eligible for this type of finding. If you violate the terms of your probation the court may find you guilty of the charge.

It's strange that it is a more serious offense to possess a can of beer as a person under 21 than it is to drink that can of beer and then drive. The law makers definitely need to fix that.

If you were just facing the driving after illegally consuming,I would suggest handling the matter yourself instead of paying an attorney and still being found guilty. It's not like you're facing jail with the drive after illegally consuming charge. If you're apologetic and take responsibilty for your error in judgement the judge may even give you a lower fine. However, since you have a companion criminal charge (possession of alochol) an attorney might be able to work out a deal with the prosecutor (ie. plea to driving after illegally consuming with agreement that the possession of alcohol charge be nolle pros (not prosecuted). Either way an attorney can help with whatever forms need to be filled out for restricted licenses, etc.

Posted by: ffxu757 ()
Date: January 30, 2008 11:23PM

Has anyone gone through to court for driving after illegally consuming alcohol? What happen at court, and what were the outcomes. Do you think the nuisance fee for reckless/dui's will have to be continued to payed yearly if they decided to repeal and remove the new fee's? Anyone have experience with Lance Gardener or anyone from nova law?

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 31, 2008 07:25PM

Those fees are rescinded.

Posted by: worriedmom ()
Date: February 10, 2008 06:59PM

My son 19 got DUI last night ,first misdemenor.. I have the same problem.. I need advice too. His BAC was 0.17. I know.. I know.. I read all that.. I might be spoiling him.. but I still need to help him for his future. I think I should still try to help him.

Is there any chance we can avoid the 5 days mandatory jail time???

Posted by: mandatory ()
Date: February 10, 2008 07:21PM

Have you looked up the term "mandatory" in the dictionary lately? If not the meaning HAS NOT changed.

The only way out is a not guilty finding, or a reduction of the charge.

Posted by: google ()
Date: March 26, 2008 02:14PM

Jim Love
Love Kielsgard & Associates PC
10511 Judicial Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030-5114
(703) 385-5317

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:01PM

Jim Love, carleton penn, Peter Greenspun, or Whitestone sr or jr. Love is affordable the last two are mega expensive

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 26, 2008 06:16PM

I would hire Corinne McGee. She is a badass to the Nth degree.

Posted by: GROSS ()
Date: March 26, 2008 11:17PM

Demetry Pikrallidas on Judicial Drive in Fairfax
703-267-2600

He had my step dads dui and hit and run accident dismissed.

Posted by: Drai ()
Date: March 27, 2008 06:15PM

Mark Dycio of Fairfax is the man. He'll cost you, but I've seen him try DWI cases and he's who I'd call if I needed an attorney for something like this.

As for the mandatory five days in jail, tell your son to man up. Enroll him in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ahead of time; he'll get used to having his ass kicked initially and then he'll learn enough to defend himself should the need arise when he's locked up.

Posted by: MOJOO4 ()
Date: March 28, 2008 12:00PM

Demetry Pikrallidas is much better than the names mentioned so far.

he ius a badass.

Posted by: Kite ()
Date: April 22, 2008 12:12AM

Alright, I had this court case on me yesterday, I'm 19 had a clean driving record up until now, At the station I blew a .05. I went in on my own (no lawyer) and plead guilty. Heres what i got, Subtracting The other tickets i had.

$500 fine + $192 in court fees= $692
6 Months License Suspension (This is basically mandatory, your not gonna get out of it)
ASAP Classes.

As For all the real D.U.I guys, all middle aged men with lawyers and everything, some even ran buisness's on their own or had families they needed to support.That I saw go up to the judge before me. they got it bad, all had

180 Days in Jail/ 160 if on good behavior
$1000 worth of fines
1 Year license suspension
1 Year probation

These are the facts people.

Posted by: givemeabreak ()
Date: April 22, 2008 07:20AM

Those weren't first offenses, son. u don't get 6 months in jail on a first offense just because you have a family or own a business.

Posted by: close ()
Date: April 22, 2008 07:27AM

You can if there was a kid in the car, but under normal circumstances it is highly unusual to get jail time on a first offense.

Date: April 22, 2008 09:13AM

They probably blew over a .15 or .20, which triggers mandatory jail time.

A child in the car enhances the penalty to mandatory community service and additional fines, but no mandatory incarceration.

Posted by: Seanjohn ()
Date: April 23, 2008 03:05AM

plead guilty, its ur best bet

Posted by: DON'T hire either Mark Dycio or Jim L ()
Date: June 07, 2008 02:57PM

Be very careful about hiring either Mark Dycio or Jim Love. They will watch out for themselves -- they will NOT watch out for you, unless they feel it's convenient enough and profitable enough for them to actually put forth a reasonable effort.

For instance, they recently (in 2007-08) represented a defendent in Fairfax County charged with murder; the only experience either of them had with criminal cases was DUI work and maybe a little bit of corporate white collar, but they still took the case without reservation. Their representation was pathetic, I've seen better stuff on Perry Mason. Most of their motions were filed late, and their arguments in court were melodramatic and nonsensical. Not surprisingly, their defendant was convicted of murder in the first degree (yes, first!). What's worse is that they charged their client $330K and produced NO expert witnesses. The only witnesses they called at trial were the defendant himself and one member of the police force who had absolutely nothing material to add to the case. I don't know why they haven't been disbarred. If you must go with them, don't let them know how much you have in assets or they will squeaze it ALL out of you! Jim Love has been known to take payment in straight assets rather than currency (possibly so he can skew his financial reports). He'll take your house if you let him. I've seen a lot of lawyers in this town, and these guys are among the most UNethical, patronizing, and worthy of being disbarred. Beware!

Posted by: idiot ()
Date: June 07, 2008 03:25PM

just for calling him a "4.0 student" you've lost your credibility. GPA means jack shit, who knows, he could take retard classes - oh, and maybe you're doing the work! The point is, GPA indicates nothing, and ODU aint the greatest place ever, so you don't receive my support.

He should receive the full penalty of the law.

Posted by: HOTTTTT ()
Date: June 10, 2008 10:52AM

I second Demetry Pikrallidas or Kevin Wright.

They walk you through everything - no surprises.

703-267-2600

Posted by: Riverluv ()
Date: June 11, 2008 01:46PM

I got sick of reading all the spam....

For modest fees, I would suggest Robert Horan of Hart & Horan. Without all the hoopla....I have used him numerous times over the last 15yrs, as well as referred several friends to him that were very pleased with the outcome.

Although laws and times have changed, 9 years ago he got my under age DUI knocked down to a reckless driving.

Just trying to be helpful....FROM EXPERIENCE...rather than make an attempt at telling someone how to handle their children. Some of you must have nothing better to do....

Posted by: Riverluv ()
Date: June 11, 2008 01:52PM

Also....did any of you read the original posters memo????

The kid blew a .04...he was far from crap-faced.

I have also used Dycio in the past(for the one who said don't use him). He is a great lawyer...but very pricey. For me it was worth it...but again....I actually READ the posters questions...who was looking for advice and a modestly priced lawyer...not a friggin sermon.

Posted by: y2kls1 ()
Date: June 11, 2008 02:57PM

I have used demetry pikrallidas and i have to say he is very good. he tells you how it is not what YOU WANT TO HEAR! they do work hard at doing whats right for you but you have to remember its a case by case thing. i have sent people to him that have used him for the same thing and they got different out comes. most of what people are saying hear are what you call "JAIL HOUSE LAWYERS" that dont know the laws. i would not go to court without one. FYI I also used the pikrallidas firm for child support and i can tell you that if my X hated me before we went to court, she probably wants my head now. i can tell you she got min! just an FYI

Posted by: EHS ()
Date: June 13, 2008 06:00PM

I can tell one thing if Demete (his nick name in high school) hits as hard in the court room as he did playing football in high school I would use him.

I thought he was accidnet lawyer only.

Posted by: sewshi ()
Date: June 13, 2008 06:19PM

Kite Wrote:
> Alright, I had this court case on me yesterday,
> I'm 19 had a clean driving record up until now, At
> the station I blew a .05. I went in on my own (no
> lawyer) and plead guilty. Heres what i got,
> Subtracting The other tickets i had.
>
> $500 fine + $192 in court fees= $692
> 6 Months License Suspension (This is basically
> mandatory, your not gonna get out of it)
> ASAP Classes.
>
> As For all the real D.U.I guys, all middle aged
> men with lawyers and everything, some even ran
> buisness's on their own or had families they
> needed to support.That I saw go up to the judge
> before me. they got it bad, all had
>
> 180 Days in Jail/ 160 if on good behavior
> $1000 worth of fines
> 1 Year license suspension
> 1 Year probation
> .........
>
> These are the facts people.

umm.. what? Did they all blow a .25 or something and hit another car? Maybe the judge was having an anti-drunkdriver fest?

Anyway, I just got charged with my own DWI.. I blew a .13 at the station and spent a night in jail. Hired Paul McGlone who was very professional, however, my case didn't look like it could really be knocked down to a wreckless (I'm an idiot, nothing much to say about that). He told me the straight shit about what was going on and didn't waste my time.

It ended up I got: 30 days in jail (suspended), $300 fine ($250 suspended), 1 year w/ suspended license, probation and ASAP classes. Not bad, but seeing as I had to pay over $3000 after lawyer and court fees, I would say.. get a cab.

Date: June 13, 2008 07:15PM

is the probation supervised or unsupervised? i took asap before and it was unsupervised probation.

Posted by: sewshi ()
Date: June 13, 2008 08:10PM

Kid Wrote:
> is the probation supervised or unsupervised? i
> took asap before and it was unsupervised
> probation.

mine was unsupervised probation

Posted by: Barfly ()
Date: June 28, 2008 12:48PM

Where do you get the understanding that there is a 5 day mandatory jail time for a first DUI? Bad info. Call Paul McGlone (best DUI attorney in Fairfax.)

Date: June 28, 2008 05:14PM

Try again, Barfly.

If the person's blood alcohol level as indicated by the chemical test administered as provided in this article was at least 0.15, but not more than 0.20, he shall be confined in jail for an additional mandatory minimum period of five days or, if the level was more than 0.20, for an additional mandatory minimum period of 10 days.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-270

Posted by: anaislynne ()
Date: August 26, 2008 05:18PM

I used Corinne McGee and yes, she is a top notch and caring atty

Posted by: chubs, esquire ()
Date: August 26, 2008 05:39PM

anaislynne Wrote:
> I used Corinne McGee and yes, she is a top notch
> and caring atty

And the best part is, she works for all-you-can-eat buffet coupons!!!

Posted by: Scott A ()
Date: September 03, 2008 01:01PM

I agree DONT HIRE Dycio. He used to be a good lawyer and his courtroom theatrics were legendary but now hes only interested in overcharging and playing unnecessary head games with his clients. Dycio will say one thing and do another. Quote one rate then charge another. Dycio used to have no problem tearing up a cops testimony on the stand but now avoids it like the plague and will push you to settle for the first plea bargain he gets. My guess is hes made his millions and no longer has the drive and hunger to put much effort into defending people. He will lie right to your face but the funny thing is hes not very good at it. Try asking him the same question a couple weeks apart and youll get two different answers. I was shocked how many times my bullshit detecter went off when dealing with him. When confronted about dropping the ball you should have seen the fit he threw. Sheesh! Rather than admit his oversight he just throws a tantrum and tries to give you another line of bullshit. I've never seen a grown man be such a baby. There are many more ethical, competent and mature lawyers out there so really I would stay away from Dycio if I were you unless you want to be overcharged, ridiculed, misled and get a worse outcome then you would get with a better and more cost effective lawyer.

Posted by: Make the Kid Pay ()
Date: September 03, 2008 01:35PM

I am disgusted that anyone is helping this parent get their adult child off. The best thing for the brat, and for society, is to let him suffer the logical consequences of drunk driving. Some alcohol prevention classes would be nice, too.

Posted by: sinnister ()
Date: September 03, 2008 08:06PM

Okay so I went to my ASAP INTake and blew a .011 They took away my restricted license. Whats going to happen next? They said the judge might give me my restricted license back. But will I get charged with anything else?

Posted by: ool ()
Date: September 07, 2008 01:41AM

i might know one!

Posted by: Tim B ()
Date: December 05, 2008 03:23PM

Hiring Mark Dycio was the worst decision I have ever made. He was very expensive for such an unprofessional attempt, not to mention he was slammed by the judge in court. He made no attempt to reduce my charge (DWI 3rd) and kept no promises he made. He also pawned me off to one of his associates halfway though my case. Whatever you do, stay away from Dycio and Associates! They should be disbarred and charged with thievery.

Date: December 05, 2008 03:32PM

Show up drunk to court.

Posted by: Maple St Res ()
Date: December 05, 2008 04:33PM

I got charged with DUI...hired Manuel Leiva of Leiva & Marks. Told me that I shouldn't hire him unless I wanted him to take it to trial and fight to get it dropped. Sure enough, went to court, he took it to trial, and ended up getting my charge dropped down to a reckless driving. I would definately recommend him to anyone looking for a dependable lawyer.

Posted by: FootballMom ()
Date: December 06, 2008 03:39AM

Thaddeus Furlong
Bose Law Firm
703-926-3900
www.boselawfirm.com

This guy is amazing. He represented both of my sons, one for a minor offense and one for a major issue. Did a wonderful job. Went out of his way to make sure all the bases were covered. We've known him for many years and have referred him to family/friends who also sent word back, that he was great. Sounds like you've got a future to protect there, don't throw the dice on your own. You need a pit bull in your corner who knows the system. You don't want a good lawyer, you want the BEST lawyer you can find. Don't take my word for it, log on to the website and check out this firm, you'll be glad you did. Thaddeus Furlong is worth his weight in gold.

Posted by: Sven ()
Date: December 30, 2008 10:49PM

HOTTTTT Wrote:
> I second Demetry Pikrallidas or Kevin Wright.
>
> They walk you through everything - no surprises.
>
> 703-267-2600

His name sounds familiar. Is he related to Johnny T.?

Posted by: I BEAT the Commonwealth of VA ()
Date: April 14, 2009 10:36AM

CALL Demetry Pikrallidas or Kevin Wright at 703-267-2600. They represented me a few weeks months ago for a first offense DUI charge in Fairfax County. My BAC was .13. The Commonwealth attorney took the case to trial, Kevin was able to get the judge to dismiss the charge. I would've had a restricted license, higher insurance, ASAPP classes and court fines if I didn't hire their firm.

These guys are excellent and will be honest with you about the entire process. The communication was great, they always worked around my busy schedule. I had a 3% chance of walking out of the court room with no charges. Fortunately, I was able to do that by hiring Demetry and Kevin!

Posted by: DUI ()
Date: April 14, 2009 04:32PM

warren mcclain. he isn't too expensive. his office moved, thinks he is near 123/main st in ffx city.

Posted by: Jebus ()
Date: April 15, 2009 04:06AM

Good lord, a 0.04? This should be a breeze. Just claim he drank some cough syrup or something, or had too many Irish coffees, etc. Then claim the alcohol was for the party he was driving to. Seriously, a 0.04 could come from alot of places: mouthwash, OTC medicines, some kinda liquer covered dessert. If the charge isn't dropped completely, it will DEFINITELY be reduced.

I had Bill Hicks (www.brhickslaw.com) represent me. He's an alright guy, don't expect any miracles from him though.

Posted by: Bose ()
Date: April 15, 2009 05:46PM

The Bose law firm is an ongoing joke

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: April 15, 2009 07:35PM

Kelly Dennis

Office is in McLean but he is in Fairfax Courthouse Cafeteria every morning.

Former Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney

Practically wrote the book on DUI/DWI cases.

He does not like clients who bounce checks, so you might want to bring some cash as a down payment.

His cell was 703 618 0716 when I spoke to him a few months ago.

Posted by: boredom ()
Date: April 16, 2009 07:31AM

You can stop giving advice. Look at the date of the original post. This has long since been resolved.

Posted by: oum ()
Date: April 20, 2009 05:41PM

Kelly dennis does not have license to practice law right now He was suspended

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: April 21, 2009 11:22AM

February 25, 2009

Kelly Ralston Dennis, 6718 Whittier Avenue, No. 200, McLean, Virginia 22101

VSB Docket Nos. 07-051-064900, 07-051-070590, 08-051-072502, 08-051-072990, 08-051-074032

On January 23, 2009, the Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Board suspended Kelly Ralston Dennis's license to practice law for six months with terms, effective February 20, 2009. Mr. Dennis violated professional rules that govern diligence, communication, and safekeeping property. The violations occurred in five cases in which he failed to deposit clients' fees into his trust account, as the professional rules require. The terms include unannounced inspections of his accounts by the Virginia State Bar for two years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 11:40AM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: who are the real criminals? ()
Date: April 22, 2009 04:14PM

A big YIKES on the post above...

What can one expect to pay typically for an attorney?

20 years old, 1st offense, .07.

Should you take the classes before court?

Posted by: suck it up ()
Date: April 22, 2009 04:30PM

Go ahead and buy a blood sucking parasite attorney, you will get almost the same sentence and by doing it you put junior on the old path of trying to buy your way out of trouble, try being a parent rather than friend. No wonder there are so many wimps and pussies around here

Posted by: kevron ()
Date: May 17, 2009 01:57PM

Could you please tell me what happened on Unsupervised Probation? Did you have to take drug test etc..?

Posted by: joie ()
Date: May 18, 2009 02:08PM

Kevin Wright at Pikrallidas Law got my bud off.

703-218-2080

Posted by: Romeo ()
Date: July 01, 2009 02:25PM

Hey got a DUI and got pulled over for not using my signal light. My breathalyzer read .10. What is the best that can happen to me and what is the worse? Also any lawyers recommended in Fairfax? This is also my first offense.

Looking for RD Attorney/Advice
Posted by: user61 ()
Date: July 02, 2009 03:17AM

I was cited for driving at 90 over 55 on dulles airport access road. By now, I have read most horror stories about RD charge. I must find an attorney in fairfax county. I will appreciate any suggestions, advice on names (positive or negative).

A few attorneys I have looked up on the web started with painful scares but little else to base judgment on who to hire. Any guidance on what to look for?

Posted by: COCO ()
Date: September 10, 2009 05:57PM

JTFS 1979 Wrote:
> If you get an attorney and he beats the charge you
> will get...nothing. If you're not convicted of a
> crime you are set free. Whoever the genious is
> that said 'whether or not you get a lawyer..blah
> blah blah." is an idiot. James Love is a good DUI
> atty, but no atty will guarantee ANYTHING, so whom
> ever you decide to use better be good if you want
> a shot. Fairfax County turns out DUI convictions
> like it's a production line. Almost EVERY Judge is
> a former Commonwealth's Attorney, so the lawyer
> better have his stuff together, these cops have a
> lot of practice at winning. Keep your mouth shut
> and call a lawyer, you'll thank yourself knowing
> your rights are being looked after by a
> professional.

Jim Love is an excellent attorney for dui's. and nothing is mandatory on your first offense, at least, if you have a good attorney. Jim proved that point for my son. He doesn't have much bedside appeal but he gets the job done. He is a former judge and knows the system well. He is very clever in the court but he will give you hell anyway b/c what you did was wrong. But he really works for his clients.

Posted by: RugbyDad ()
Date: September 10, 2009 06:19PM

FootballMom Wrote:
> Thaddeus Furlong
> Bose Law Firm
> 703-926-3900
> www.boselawfirm.com
>
> This guy is amazing. He represented both of my
> sons, one for a minor offense and one for a major
> issue. Did a wonderful job. Went out of his way
> to make sure all the bases were covered. We've
> known him for many years and have referred him to
> family/friends who also sent word back, that he
> was great. Sounds like you've got a future to
> protect there, don't throw the dice on your own.
> You need a pit bull in your corner who knows the
> system. You don't want a good lawyer, you want
> the BEST lawyer you can find. Don't take my word
> for it, log on to the website and check out this
> firm, you'll be glad you did. Thaddeus Furlong is
> worth his weight in gold.

I second FootballMom very very enthusiastically regarding Thaddeus. He represented my teenage son on a reckless driving charge and - on a separate occasion - on five citations on a single summons (all charges dismissed by the prosecutor just prior to the hearing).

Thaddeus is a former Fairfax County cop, knows his stuff, knows his environment in Fairfax Courts, and knows how best to work with the cops and judges.

Posted by: methadouche ()
Date: September 10, 2009 08:28PM

yo man ill represent the little fucker... iv been through ffx county courts so many times those mother fuckers owe ME money

Posted by: Ducky ()
Date: September 11, 2009 08:07AM

The mandatory 5 days in jail is for a high BAC--and the high money for an interlock system.

In addition to any penalty provided by law for a conviction under § 18.2-51.4 or § 18.2-266 or a substantially similar ordinance of any county, city or town, any court of proper jurisdiction (i) may, for a first offense, (ii) shall, for a second or subsequent offense and (iii) shall, for an offense where an offender's blood alcohol content equals or exceeds 0.15 percent, as a condition of a restricted license or as a condition of license restoration under subsection C of § 18.2-271.1 or § 46.2-391, prohibit an offender from operating a motor vehicle that is not equipped with a functioning, certified ignition interlock system for any period of time not to exceed the period of license suspension and restriction, not less than six months, and shall require that such a system be installed on each motor vehicle, as defined in § 46.2-100, owned by or registered to the offender, in whole or in part, for such period of time. Such condition shall be in addition to any purposes for which a restricted license may be issued pursuant to § 18.2-271.1. The court may order the installation of an ignition interlock system to commence immediately upon conviction. A fee of $20 to cover court and administrative costs related to the ignition interlock system shall be paid by any such offender to the clerk of the court. The court shall require the offender to install an electronic log device with the ignition interlock system on a vehicle designated by the court to measure the blood alcohol content at each attempted ignition and random rolling retest during operation of the vehicle. The offender shall be enrolled in and supervised by an alcohol safety action program pursuant to § 18.2-271.1 and to conditions established by regulation under § 18.2-270.2 by the Commission during the period for which the court has ordered installation of the ignition interlock system. The offender shall be further required to provide to such program, at least quarterly during the period of court ordered ignition interlock installation, a printout from such electronic log indicating the offender's blood alcohol content during such ignitions, attempted ignitions, and rolling retests, and showing attempts to circumvent or tamper with the equipment.

Posted by: Furlong ()
Date: September 11, 2009 03:23PM

FFxU757 Wrote:
> Looking for DUI attorney for 19 year old college
> student. He is a 4.0 student at Old Dominion
> College. Had a recorded BAC of .04 at the station.
> The charges received "Driving after illegally
> consuming alcohol" which is section 266.1 charge.
> Called Zero tolerance charge or baby dui. Also
> received a charge for possession of alcohol which
> was locked in the back of a car. He is looking for
> an attorney to represent him in the fairfax county
> area with modest legal fees. What are possible
> outcomes an attorney could do, than have him
> without an attorney. Any advice about these cases
> or experiences are welcome.

Damn. This comes up every day or two! How about this thread: http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/69988/page-1.html

Best I know is Thaddeus Furlong, who specializes in DWI and driving on suspended license, i.e., things that could cause you to spend time in jail. Thaddeus is both a lawyer and a former Fairfax County cop.

Thaddeus Furlong
Bose Law Firm
703-926-3900
www.boselawfirm.com

Posted by: Kathy ()
Date: December 03, 2009 02:33AM

what ever you do, do not try attorney Blanchard in Fairfax, VA

Also do not trust what you read on this site and neither the profile of the attorneys. They are full of it. In case of this attorney whom I found on this site, he did not even fight for me! He got the money and run despite the recommendations I had read here and on his site.

They also lie, so be ready. Most lawyers come back to you and say that they have talked to the district attorney and this is the best deal you can have. Do NOT believe it! it is all made up so they can settle and leave right away.

They also tell you that (in any legal case) that they will fight for you and go to court (a different price) but then try to get you to settle so they can go and rip someone else.

Posted by: Mr. Mojo Risin ()
Date: January 14, 2010 05:22PM

I've been practicing law for 20 years. Any monkey can learn the ins and outs of the traffic code, hustle DUIs and RDs and make 150K a year. These guys are all the legal equivalent of used car salesmen. Despite what they tell you (most of which is complete and utter bullshit) this area of the law is far from rocket science. Your lawyer will know after talking to you for 5 minutes exactly what will happen.

The guys that charge 4-5K per DUI are basically thieves. They treat the law license like a license to steal. This is the brutal truth. 20 years ago I used to work for one.

I don't know how I stumbled on this site, but I can tell you how NOT to choose a lawyer - using the yellow pages, the web or this site.

The best way to find a lawyer is by word of mouth from a former client of the lawyer. Ask friends, neighbors, business associates etc. and get the name of a lawyer they trust. Even if you are referred to someone who doesn't practice in the field, if the lawyer has any common courtesy, he or she will refer you to several lawyers who would be able to handle your case.

Posted by: I Have a Question ()
Date: January 14, 2010 05:34PM

What do you mean by "word of mouth?"

I'm a GAY REPUBLICAN and I would be happy to show you my word of mouth in exchange for "solid" representation. I'll leave my retainer on the nightstand.

Posted by: brian ()
Date: January 14, 2010 11:54PM

I got convicted of blowing a .02 in ffx last new years, I got charged with loss of license for 1 year, and fines, and a choice of alcohol class or having a restricted license. The prosecutor would not reduce it. I was 18 years old at the time.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.