HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is Metro an Option?
Posted by: VA Driver ()
Date: September 11, 2005 06:17PM

Hi Everybody. Any Vienna Metro Commutters out there? My company is moving to Arlington area reight off of the Balston Metro. Stupid HOV restriction for all lanes means you can not enter inside the beltway before 9 AM.

If I decide to use the METRO, how late can you show up, or how early do you have to be at Vienna to still find a parking spot? Garage vs outside, or one of the new meters I saw when I tried the other day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Metro an Option?
Posted by: Tice ()
Date: September 11, 2005 10:08PM

I usually go to work at 2pm and it's murder finding spots then; I usually have to park way back in the back lot.

Before 10 you can usually find spots in the first lot off East 66. If you train your eyes for it, you can sometimes spot a space or two in an allegedly full lot as you get on the Vienna Metro offramp. Also at 10, the reserved spots in the garages open up, which is good for about an hour.

On bad days even the very back lot is full, but that's usually just during cherry blossom season.

Bad news is we're about to lose a lot of spot because of the Metro dormitory compound they are going to build. I don't know when that's going to effect us or how badly.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 12, 2005 09:57AM

Well, in my case I show up to the Vienna station at around 8:15 and arrive at McPherson Square metro in DC at 8:45 or 8:50. To Ballston it takes about 15-20 minutes. Backups don't really affect you because you're the first station underground in Virginia so you're golden. Fuck driving, gas prices are too high.

Posted by: VA Driver ()
Date: September 13, 2005 07:32AM

OK,

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it will be less time on the road for me to take METRO. That is as I suspected. Really thr problem for me is parking. The building I'm moving to, the landloerd only pro-offered 66 parking spaces and we have up to 150 staff that could be in the office for some meetings if they are not tele-commuting, etc.

What I'mm really looking to do is to leverage a METRO parking spot. I mean I either have to park at the METRO and train in, or fight traffic and park in Arlington, etc. Much rather park at the METRO and save the time and the gas!

However, most days I need to be in the office by 8 or 9 AM, other days I might not have to be there till 10 or 11 because I was there late the night before, (11 PM) etc.

So to refine my question, in general, how late can you get to the Vienna METRO and still find parking on a weekday?

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Posted by: Tice ()
Date: September 13, 2005 09:04AM

Unless something big is going on in town, you can almost always find parking at the station. The worst times are probably between noon and 2. I've only been unable to find a spot a couple of times, and I always park around that time.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 13, 2005 02:15PM

I concur with Tice, there's plenty of parking at the Vienna station. I sometimes get to Vienna at 10 or so and still park in the parking lot near one of the main parking garages. Don't worry you'll be fine.

Posted by: dlee ()
Date: September 19, 2005 06:47PM

It basically goes down like this. The parking garage on the North side (Vienna side) has some construction going on. Used to be I could find a spot up to till about 9. I've never really bothered with the parking lot on the South side (fairfax side) because if I make it early enough I like to park on the North side, and if there's no parking in that garage, there sure as hell won't be any in the South garage. So in that case I park in the parking lot across from the South garage. I have never not been able to find a spot there (double negative?), regardless of what time I get there. So if you're in doubt, use that parking lot. Otherwise you might have to pay 3.75 to exit a full garage.

Posted by: r3tr0act1v3 ()
Date: April 09, 2012 04:58PM

Is the parking garage construction done yet at the Vienna metro? Just curious.

Posted by: metro flyer handout ()
Date: April 11, 2012 11:33AM

si, make sure to take flyer from flyer hand out we get paid 10 cent every one given away we send money back to family, family in Mexico.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.