HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Catherine Lorenze: "Red Apple Mom" or Meddling Madwoman?
Posted by: curious ()
Date: October 13, 2011 07:28PM

Fairfax Underground, you decide- is she genuine in her concerns, or is she simply a loud, annoying, you know what?

Something always strikes me about these people . . . self aggrandizing, petulant, fired from being a PTA volunteer (gimmie a break).

Quote: Poor neighborhoods in Fairfax “make out like bandits” compared to the county’s affluent areas, Lorenze wrote on her blog.

Go to private school fool!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/gop-strategist-a-key-actor-in-fairfax-school-election/2011/10/06/gIQAVMX4hL_print.html

GOP strategist a key actor in Fairfax school election
By Emma Brown, Thursday, October 13, 4:24 PM

Her name won’t appear on the ballot. Most voters have no idea who she is. But Catherine Lorenze, a sharp-tongued parent activist and Republican strategist, is a pivotal player in the race for Fairfax County School Board.

Half the board’s 12 members are retiring, ensuring high turnover among those who set the direction of one of the country’s largest, highest-performing school systems.

Most of the candidates promising dramatic change are running under Lorenze’s tutelage, echoing messages she crafted about transparency, accountability and fiscal responsibility.

A McLean mother of three, Lorenze accuses the board of ignoring input from parents and teachers on student-discipline reform and other hot-button issues. She contends that the board’s oversight of Superintendent Jack D. Dale has been toothless and that it has unfairly allowed class sizes to balloon in wealthy neighborhoods (including her own) while schools in poor areas get more resources.

Much of Lorenze’s work is behind the scenes: writing campaign plans, analyzing election records, organizing volunteers. But she also broadcasts her views on her blog, Red Apple Mom, where she writes about incumbents she wants to depose.

Chief among her targets are Chairwoman Jane K. Strauss (Dranesville) and Vice Chairman Ilryong Moon (At-Large).

“Grandmother Janie Strauss is in her second decade on the School Board. Snooooozzzzzzeeeeee. Can’t she go do something else already?” Lorenze wrote in June. “Ilryong Moon – the human weather vane who can’t cast a vote until he sees which way the political winds are blowing – was first elected in 1995. Can’t he go do something else too?”

Moon, who said he is proud of his record as a deliberate thinker, shrugged off the attack. “I cannot get upset by one person’s personality,” he said. Strauss, an 18-year board veteran now facing a tough reelection battle against Lorenze-backed candidate Louise Epstein, was more pointed.

“Catherine seeks out the divisive issues and then plays on them,” she said. “If her candidates win, that’s the voice. Is that the voice we want in Fairfax County?”

Elizabeth Schultz, Republican-endorsed candidate in the Springfield district, said Lorenze helped her devise slogans and plan logistics early in the campaign. Lorenze has played less of a day-to-day role in recent weeks, said Schultz. “Once I got rolling, honestly, I sorta ran with it,” she said.

Lorenze learned how to shape a soundbite while working on campaigns with Republican consultant Mike Murphy during the 1990s, helping produce advertisements for high-profile figures such as Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and former New Jersey governor Christine Todd Whitman (R).

Now she is volunteering full-time on behalf of at least six candidates to whom she has donated services worth more than $80,000, according to financial disclosure forms — a substantial amount for down-ballot races usually run on the cheap.

She also helped run successful special-election campaigns in 2009 and 2010 for Patty Reed (Providence), a Republican-endorsed member, and Sandy Evans (Mason), a Democratic-endorsed member. Both known for challenging the superintendent, Reed and Evans are running unopposed for reelection.

Lorenze says she has a personal stake in the election. Her 12-year-old son has shared elementary classrooms with more than 35 students, and Lorenze says that is unacceptable.

“I get one shot with my kids,” she said. “I’m not willing to wait for class size to normalize in 10 years. I’m impatient.”

Lorenze, 44, was a traditional school volunteer until five years ago, when she organized parents to raise questions about various issues at Kent Gardens Elementary. She was asked to leave her post as room parent. Her agitations for change “had an overwhelming impact on the instructional day,” said principal Robyn Hooker.

Months later, Lorenze was also fired from her volunteer PTA post. “Circumstances have made it necessary to end your appointments,” read a certified letter delivered to her home.

She joined Fairgrade, a group seeking to revise the county’s strict grading policy, and showed up at her first meeting with a campaign plan in hand. “I said, ‘You guys are never going to win this doing a PTA dog and pony show,’ ” she recalled. “ ‘You need to run this like a political referendum on the superintendent and the school board.’ ”

That aggressive strategy helped Fairgrade succeed, and now Lorenze hopes it will help upend the school board.

Some in Fairfax hail Lorenze as a champion of parents. Some discount her as the representative of a disgruntled minority. Others fear her.

“She spins issues, she spins statements, she takes things out of context and she writes them down,” said retiring board member Elizabeth Bradsher (Springfield), who battled Lorenze over a board decision to close Clifton Elementary School. “She’ll do anything she can to make sure these candidates win.”

Lorenze said her critics simply don’t like her questions. “They say it’s adversarial,” she said. “I say it’s drilling down, forcing those people to defend that they don’t have any data to support their positions.”

Most of the candidates she is backing are in some way connected with Fairgrade or with the Fairfax Education Coalition, a group of parent and teacher organizations that has been critical of the board. Lorenze is communications director for both groups.

She has helped Schultz and Fairgrade president Megan McLaughlin, a Democratic-endorsed candidate running for the Braddock seat.

Lorenze is also working on behalf of three at-large candidates: Sheree Brown-Kaplan and Lolita Mancheno-Smoak, who are both Republican-endorsed, and Steve Stuban, who has no partisan endorsement.

But she is directing most of her energy to unseating Strauss, whom Lorenze blames for McLean’s high class sizes. “She consistently redistributes our resources to the rest of the county,” said Lorenze.

Strauss has supported a staffing formula that sends more teachers to — and thus lowers class sizes at — schools with high numbers of poor children and children who speak English as a second language.

The result is uneven class sizes. Some high-poverty schools along Route 1 in the Mt. Vernon district, for example, have average class sizes in the high teens and low 20s. In well-to-do McLean, averages hover in the high 20s and classes can climb into the mid-30s.

Lorenze said she understands the philosophy but says it’s gone too far. Poor neighborhoods in Fairfax “make out like bandits” compared to the county’s affluent areas, Lorenze wrote on her blog.

Strauss said she agrees that budget cuts have made for untenably large classes. But she defended her support for the staffing formula. Public schools are obligated to ensure all students achieve, she said, and that means more teachers for those who come to class with the least.

“If we don’t help the kids who need additional help, we are wasting the minds and the talents of many of our citizens,” she said.

In Dranesville, Strauss’s opponent — her first since 1999 — is Republican-endorsed Epstein.

A former tax lawyer and Fairgrade co-founder, Epstein served as PTA president at the county’s renowned Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology. She has pledged to change the staffing formula. Like many of the candidates Lorenze is backing, Epstein has won endorsements from county teachers’ groups.

Lorenze said she never considered running for school board herself. She prefers campaigning to governing, and can’t imagine collaborating with the administrators she has criticized for years.

“For me to have to work with them would drive me crazy,” she said. “I like the kingmaking. It’s more fun.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Catherine Lorenze: "Red Apple Mom" or Meddling Madwoman?
Posted by: Kudos to Schultz ()
Date: October 13, 2011 07:47PM

There are several parts of this article I enjoyed.

The first was where Elizabeth Schultz distanced herself from Lorenze by saying “Once I got rolling, honestly, I sorta ran with it.” I read that to mean that she realizes that Lorenze is politically toxic, and that she needs to create some space. Good for her.

The second was where Lorenze herself likened herself to a "kingmaker." I read that to mean this is all about her own ego and desire to position herself as someone whom others will pay to help them with their campaigns.

She seems to think that there's no such thing as bad publicity. Some of her candidates will get elected, but I think she's probably going to hand the Dranesville race to Janie Strauss, since Louise Epstein hasn't been savvy enough to follow Schultz's lead and create some distance between herself and Lorenze. Looks like the JMU graduate is much smarter than the Harvard graduate when it comes to local politics.

Posted by: not catherine any longer ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:08PM

Catherine Lorenze is a menace to Fairfax County. Her real agenda is to engineer a Republican takeover of the School Board -- she masks this intent by supporting two Democratic endorsees who presumably will vote with the Republicans, since they are aligned politically. Do we really want to turn over our excellent schools to Catherine, her gang, and the Republicans? Do we want to give them a chance to tear down what has taken years of hard work to create? Do we want them to realize their goal of taking resources from needy kids to help their affluent constituents (by getting rid of the current staffing formula that gives extra weight to students with disabilities, poor students, and students with limited English proficiency)? Do we want to turn our schools over to this fanatical, negative bunch who are reflexively opposed to everything? I say no.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:34PM

not catherine any longer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Catherine Lorenze is a menace to Fairfax County.
> Her real agenda is to engineer a Republican
> takeover of the School Board -- she masks this
> intent by supporting two Democratic endorsees who
> presumably will vote with the Republicans, since
> they are aligned politically. Do we really want
> to turn over our excellent schools to Catherine,
> her gang, and the Republicans? Do we want to give
> them a chance to tear down what has taken years of
> hard work to create? Do we want them to realize
> their goal of taking resources from needy kids to
> help their affluent constituents (by getting rid
> of the current staffing formula that gives extra
> weight to students with disabilities, poor
> students, and students with limited English
> proficiency)? Do we want to turn our schools over
> to this fanatical, negative bunch who are
> reflexively opposed to everything? I say no.

You were describing Smith and Strauss, right, who've voted more often with Bradsher and Wilson, both Republicans, than with Hone, Evans and Storck, three Democrats.

Thanks to Smith and Strauss, the Republicans have been in control of FCPS for the last 4 years.

Posted by: WTF? ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:37PM

not catherine any longer Wrote:
> Catherine Lorenze is a menace to Fairfax County.
> Her real agenda is to engineer a Republican
> takeover of the School Board -- she masks this
> intent by supporting two Democratic endorsees who
> presumably will vote with the Republicans, since
> they are aligned politically. Do we really want
> to turn over our excellent schools to Catherine,
> her gang, and the Republicans? Do we want to give
> them a chance to tear down what has taken years of
> hard work to create? Do we want them to realize
> their goal of taking resources from needy kids to
> help their affluent constituents (by getting rid
> of the current staffing formula that gives extra
> weight to students with disabilities, poor
> students, and students with limited English
> proficiency)? Do we want to turn our schools over
> to this fanatical, negative bunch who are
> reflexively opposed to everything? I say no.

So six year olds in McLean aren't kids, but instead "affluent constituents" who should attend classes with over 30 students, while kids in Alexandria or Baileys attend classes with 18 students?

It's not "opposition to everything" to favor smaller class sizes across the county.

Posted by: lizzie ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:41PM

it is what it is kids

Posted by: More Nonsense from Thomas ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:43PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> not catherine any longer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Catherine Lorenze is a menace to Fairfax County.
>
> > Her real agenda is to engineer a Republican
> > takeover of the School Board -- she masks this
> > intent by supporting two Democratic endorsees
> who
> > presumably will vote with the Republicans,
> since
> > they are aligned politically. Do we really
> want
> > to turn over our excellent schools to
> Catherine,
> > her gang, and the Republicans? Do we want to
> give
> > them a chance to tear down what has taken years
> of
> > hard work to create? Do we want them to
> realize
> > their goal of taking resources from needy kids
> to
> > help their affluent constituents (by getting
> rid
> > of the current staffing formula that gives
> extra
> > weight to students with disabilities, poor
> > students, and students with limited English
> > proficiency)? Do we want to turn our schools
> over
> > to this fanatical, negative bunch who are
> > reflexively opposed to everything? I say no.
>
>
> You were describing Smith and Strauss, right,
> who've voted more often with Bradsher and Wilson,
> both Republicans, than with Hone, Evans and
> Storck, three Democrats.
>
> Thanks to Smith and Strauss, the Republicans have
> been in control of FCPS for the last 4 years.

What nonsense. Gibson, Moon and Center are all Democrats. Party labels don't mean a lot when it comes to the School Board.

Posted by: no catherine any longer ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:53PM

Of course, smaller class size countywide is a major goal. It always has been. For years, Janie Strauss worked to lower class sizes in the county, and she succeeded. The recent budget situation unfortunately forced a temporary reveral of course. Janie has made a committment to do what it takes to lower class sizes again -- it is her top priority. But with the current budget situation, "smaller class sizes throughout the county" just isn't possible. (And don't give me that you can get extra resources from the central administration budget, what could be taken from that budget already has been taken.) The only way you can lower class sizes in McLean is to take away from kids in Herndon, Baileys, Alexandria, etc. When you talk about rebalancing, you are taking away from needy kids. Your values seem messed up -- you lack the compassion to understand that these kids need more resources just to get to an even playing field, or you just don't care. You may be prepared to put those kids at more risk, but I and many others are not. Part of what makes Fairfax one of the best educational systems in the country is that it does what it takes to education every kid. Don't jeopardize that

Posted by: WTF ()
Date: October 13, 2011 11:26PM

Janie isn't an at-large member. She's the Dranesville representative. Putting aside whether Lorenze's rhetoric is nasty, it's fair to question whether Janie tolerated disparities in class sizes that went overboard in favoring kids from poor families at the expense - literally and figuratively - of kids who lived in Dranesville. A lot of parents worry that their kids won't get a decent education if they have 30-35 kids in a class, regardless of whatever familiar advantages they may enjoy. That's larger than in other parts of Fairfax, and Arlington, and if your answer is just "suck it up," I think Janie can expect to be shown the door.

Posted by: not catherine any longer ()
Date: October 14, 2011 12:03AM

First of all, everyone seems to think that Dranesville is just McLean and Lngley, but Herndon, which benefits from these policies is also Dranesville. I gu sess parents who live there are too busy working to comment on this blog. Second, you still don't seem to have any viable way of lowering class sizes here. I know for a fact that lowering class sizes is Janie's priority, and she will get it done as soon as it is possible. The vitriole against a dedicated public servant is just not warranted.

Posted by: Oh, Man ()
Date: October 14, 2011 07:00AM

I'm trying to imagine just how obnoxious and irritating you have to be to get kicked out of the PTA and fired as a room mother.

Catherine "Kingmaker" Lorenze! Hilarious!

Posted by: Paying For Civilization ()
Date: October 14, 2011 07:05AM

Over the course of this FCPS school board campaign, I've felt oddly manipulated without knowing why. Now I know - Karl Rove has been resurrected in the person of Catherine Lorenze.

Some of us are just fine with paying taxes that go to benefit those with greater need. Given a choice between funding full-day kindergarten for a child in Mount Vernon and the same for my McLean children, I'm okay with the former. ALL these kids will be running the world we leave to them and the more we can do to close the gap between the haves and have-nots, the better off we'll all be.

Posted by: tell us ()
Date: October 14, 2011 08:29AM

What did she do to get kicked out of the PTA? I find that hard to believe...

Posted by: yeppers ()
Date: October 14, 2011 08:31AM

Paying For Civilization Wrote:
> Over the course of this FCPS school board
> campaign, I've felt oddly manipulated without
> knowing why. Now I know - Karl Rove has been
> resurrected in the person of Catherine Lorenze.
>
> Some of us are just fine with paying taxes that go
> to benefit those with greater need. Given a
> choice between funding full-day kindergarten for a
> child in Mount Vernon and the same for my McLean
> children, I'm okay with the former. ALL these kids
> will be running the world we leave to them and the
> more we can do to close the gap between the haves
> and have-nots, the better off we'll all be.

Reading the article in the Post today Ms. Lorenze clearly bemoans the class size situation where the poor kids on Route 1 "made out like bandits" (dear me, what an unfortunate choice of words), while the rich, priviledged kids in McClean have to endure class sizes of 30. Did she offer any ideas how to reduce class sizes for everybody accross the county. I sincerely have no axe to grind but if the class sizes have to be lower somewhere I think it should be with the poor kids who need more help.

Posted by: concur ()
Date: October 14, 2011 08:35AM

Oh, Man Wrote:
> I'm trying to imagine just how obnoxious and
> irritating you have to be to get kicked out of the
> PTA and fired as a room mother.
>
> Catherine "Kingmaker" Lorenze! Hilarious!

It was not a flattering article at all. I vote in Moon's district and had no opinion until now, but if someone like her is backing his opponent, I'll vote for him. Her "issues" seem so shallow; more like agitation for the purpose of agitation -- which presumably is why she got kicked out as a room mom and off the PTA.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: October 14, 2011 08:50AM

concur Wrote:
> I vote in Moon's district<

Mr. Moon is running at large, so you're telling us you live in FFX County?

> and had no opinion until now, but if someone like her is backing his opponent, I'll vote for him. Her "issues" seem so shallow;<

Fairgrade, honors courses, SLEEP, FZTR are hardly shallow issues.

Not knowing in what magisterial district you live or for what position a candidate is running might qualify one as shallow.

Posted by: concur ()
Date: October 14, 2011 08:55AM

Thomas More Wrote:
> concur Wrote:
> -----
> > I vote in Moon's district<
>
> Mr. Moon is running at large, so you're telling us
> you live in FFX County?
>
> > and had no opinion until now, but if someone
> like her is backing his opponent, I'll vote for
> him. Her "issues" seem so shallow;<
>
> Fairgrade, honors courses, SLEEP, FZTR are hardly
> shallow issues.
>
> Not knowing in what magisterial district you live
> or for what position a candidate is running might
> qualify one as shallow.

o.k. shows how ill-informed I am. I said I had no opinions at all until I read the article. Didn't read anything about SLEEP, FZTR in the article?

Posted by: 1 Percenter Mentality ()
Date: October 14, 2011 09:02AM

She makes her money from agitaing and exploiting, without any regard to actually making the system better. This is proven because she refuses to run for a seat, something that she should have done but then she would actually be risking instead of sending her minions to do her bidding. She simply sees herself as more important than everyone else - don't these people see she is using them?

I don't think she is Karl Rove reincarnated, she is more like Cheney; No heart or compassion. Typical 1 Percenter mentality.

There is only one problem with her scheme; if more resources are taken from teh have-nots and goven to teh already-haves, those scores will go way down and the Government funding that is linked to them will go away as well, putting the system in a worse position than before. What to do then?

Posted by: xboard ()
Date: October 14, 2011 09:14AM

1 Percenter Mentality Wrote:
> She makes her money from agitaing and exploiting,
> without any regard to actually making the system
> better. This is proven because she refuses to run
> for a seat, something that she should have done
> but then she would actually be risking instead of
> sending her minions to do her bidding. She simply
> sees herself as more important than everyone else
> - don't these people see she is using them?
>
> I don't think she is Karl Rove reincarnated, she
> is more like Cheney; No heart or compassion.
> Typical 1 Percenter mentality.
>
> There is only one problem with her scheme; if more
> resources are taken from teh have-nots and goven
> to teh already-haves, those scores will go way
> down and the Government funding that is linked to
> them will go away as well, putting the system in a
> worse position than before. What to do then?

someone above said she favors reducing class sizes "accross the county," but I saw no mention of that - and certainly no mention of how it could be done - in the Post article. Seems to me she is just pissed that the poor kids are "making out like bandits" by getting smaller class sizes while the well-off kids have larger class sizes, i.e. pitting one group of county residents against another without any ideas for how to solve the problem.

Posted by: Contrarian ()
Date: October 14, 2011 09:23AM

I find Lorenze's rhetoric over-the-top and her personal insults of Janie Strauss revolting. For that reason, I will find it difficult to vote for any candidate she sponsors or advises, including Louise Epstein.

Having said this, she does have a talent for identifying issues that resonate with many parents. FairGrade was one; SLEEP is another. And, the disparities in the class sizes in McLean, Great Falls and parts of Herndon with the class sizes in places like the Route 1 corredor or Baileys Crossroads is a third.

It's not that Dranesville residents don't recognize the special needs of students from poor backgrounds, or would insist on a strict equality of class sizes. However, when class sizes in parts of Dranesville are now often in the low to mid-30s, while students in other parts of the county attend classes with 15-22 students, many get annoyed with Janie's lack of advocacy on the issue. She often comes across as a cheerleader for FCPS who seems not to realize, as another FFXU poster recently put it, that FCPS likes to take credit for hitting triples when kids start out on third base.

Posted by: Contrarian ()
Date: October 14, 2011 10:47AM

xboard Wrote:
> 1 Percenter Mentality Wrote:
> -----
> > She makes her money from agitaing and
> exploiting,
> > without any regard to actually making the
> system
> > better. This is proven because she refuses to
> run
> > for a seat, something that she should have done
> > but then she would actually be risking instead
> of
> > sending her minions to do her bidding. She
> simply
> > sees herself as more important than everyone
> else
> > - don't these people see she is using them?
> >
> > I don't think she is Karl Rove reincarnated,
> she
> > is more like Cheney; No heart or compassion.
> > Typical 1 Percenter mentality.
> >
> > There is only one problem with her scheme; if
> more
> > resources are taken from teh have-nots and
> goven
> > to teh already-haves, those scores will go way
> > down and the Government funding that is linked
> to
> > them will go away as well, putting the system in
> a
> > worse position than before. What to do then?
>
> someone above said she favors reducing class sizes
> "accross the county," but I saw no mention of that
> - and certainly no mention of how it could be done
> - in the Post article. Seems to me she is just
> pissed that the poor kids are "making out like
> bandits" by getting smaller class sizes while the
> well-off kids have larger class sizes, i.e.
> pitting one group of county residents against
> another without any ideas for how to solve the
> problem.

You scrutinize the budget, cut administrative positions at Gatehouse, eliminate programs that aren't producing results or are luxuries in budget-strapped times, hire more teachers and, if necessary, increase class sizes in some places and reduce them in others.

Maybe that's what Janie also believes needs to happen, but she's not conveying that message very clearly, while Lorenze's candidates are shouting it from the rooftops. I have to think that's why the two teachers' groups endorsed Epstein rather than Strauss.

Posted by: a few questions ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:05AM

First, I agree with Catherine that no class should have 35 students. In the past I taught school--and, at one point, had 29 Title I kids in my class--way too many. However, we also had additional teachers who pulled half out at a time--so it probably worked out to an average of 25 kids. (This was not FCPS).

Having taught both "average" and "kids from the projects", I agree that FCPS does need to give an "edge" to the low income students. However, a "delta" of 15 plus, is unacceptable--and far more than an "edge".

I do have a few questions. It is very hard to decipher from FCPS membership and staffing how the resources are used in an individual school. With all the special programs for autism and other special education spread throughout schools, when you look at the ratios, you are looking at apples and oranges and it is very difficult to compare. One school may have a lower ration because it has more special education--not because of the "staffing" ratio for "normal" classrooms.

My question-
Were these class sizes typical throughout the school? If not, here are some possible explanations:
1. It is possible that the principal didn't want to have a split grade class. If the class size was a GT class--and there was only 1 class at that grade level, I can understand that the principal could not use his/her resources to put 18 kids in a class. Many teachers and parents are resistant to have multi-grade classes.
This is an unintended consequence of "extra" programs in schools. However, if all classes in the school are above 30, then there is a serious problem in FCPS and the SB should fix it.

2. Are some of the principal's "slots" being used for special programs like FLES? Or, is FLES a designated slot by the school board? Then, this is a school board issue and Janie should have fixed it.

3. Is the principal afraid to ask a teacher change grade levels to even things up? Believe it or not, I have seen this happen. I taught first grade with a class of 34 while the sixth grade had classes for 20. The principal knew that none of the sixth grade teachers wanted to teach first grade and was afraid of the sixth grade teachers. Very poor management. Again, the SB member should step in if this is the case.

I don't know that these issues apply to the situation in Great Falls. If they do, however, and the principal won't take action, then it is the SB member's responsibility to help her consituents fix it with the principal-not tell the parent to send her child to Bailey's Crossroads.

Posted by: Lil Wayne ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:08AM

What a blonde, rich, ambitious, selfish boob. The aggrieved, entitled, pity party that she is throwing on silver platters and fine china is nauseating. Has Catherine The Great ever visited Route 1. Drive over there in your Mercedes-Benz and tell me where in the hell is the excess of FCPS-provided resources? And then drive back to Great Falls and put a banana in your tailpipe. Rich be-atch needs to be slapped.

Posted by: YouBetStillLaughing ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:12AM

Lil Wayne Wrote:
> What a blonde, rich, ambitious, selfish boob. The
> aggrieved, entitled, pity party that she is
> throwing on silver platters and fine china is
> nauseating. Has Catherine The Great ever visited
> Route 1. Drive over there in your Mercedes-Benz
> and tell me where in the hell is the excess of
> FCPS-provided resources? And then drive back to
> Great Falls and put a banana in your tailpipe.
> Rich be-atch needs to be slapped.

Don't know about the slapped part, but if she was getting a banana in her tailpipe a little more often, she'd probably be easier to get along with.

Posted by: Catherine gets the last laugh ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:12AM

I am a registered democrat but have been positively disgusted with our "leadership". They really don't deserve that word.

Stu Gibson, Kathy Smith, Ted Velkoff, yuck.

These people are poison to our schools and county.

They are nothing more than yesmen to Jack Dale and all his stupid ideas.

Good for Catherine for driving change---while they label her a GOP strategist---she has friends on both sides of the aisle.

Effective? Just wait and see.

She will have a hand in victories for Schulz, Epstein, McLaughlin, Stubin and Lolita.

Not too shabby-getting 5 people elected in one year.

Ignore the haters Catherine, your record speaks for itself.

You are helping "take out the trash" in this school district and the kids will benefit.

Posted by: Jodi Foster ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:16AM

Then why are the candidates distancing themselves from the self-anointed Kingmaker from Great Falls. A true kingmakers does not get in a front of his or her candidate. Blind ambition is harmful. Blonde ambition kills.

Posted by: ChickenCounter ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:29AM

Catherine gets the last laugh Wrote:
> I am a registered democrat but have been
> positively disgusted with our "leadership". They
> really don't deserve that word.
>
> Stu Gibson, Kathy Smith, Ted Velkoff, yuck.
>
> These people are poison to our schools and
> county.
>
> They are nothing more than yesmen to Jack Dale and
> all his stupid ideas.
>
> Good for Catherine for driving change---while they
> label her a GOP strategist---she has friends on
> both sides of the aisle.
>
> Effective? Just wait and see.
>
> She will have a hand in victories for Schulz,
> Epstein, McLaughlin, Stubin and Lolita.
>
> Not too shabby-getting 5 people elected in one
> year.
>
> Ignore the haters Catherine, your record speaks
> for itself.
>
> You are helping "take out the trash" in this
> school district and the kids will benefit.

She ain't elected nothin' yet.

Posted by: Thomas Jefferson ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:33AM

She seems to be interested in benefiting her family, her neighborhood, her schools, her district, and her political consulting profession. Her kind -- it's all about me -- we don't need.

Posted by: YeahBoyStillLaughing ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:35AM

Thomas Jefferson Wrote:
> She seems to be interested in benefiting her
> family, her neighborhood, her schools, her
> district, and her political consulting profession.
> Her kind -- it's all about me -- we don't need.

It's good to be the Kingmaker.

Posted by: response to TJ ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:41AM

Wanting what is right for your own children does not mean that you are not concerned about others.

Posted by: What? ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:45AM

response to TJ Wrote:
> Wanting what is right for your own children does
> not mean that you are not concerned about others.

You mean those kids on Route 1 who are, according to Catherine, "making out like bandits"?

Posted by: moderate ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:46AM

Catherine gets the last laugh Wrote:
> I am a registered democrat but have been
> positively disgusted with our "leadership". They
> really don't deserve that word.
>
> Stu Gibson, Kathy Smith, Ted Velkoff, yuck.
>
> These people are poison to our schools and
> county.
>
> They are nothing more than yesmen to Jack Dale and
> all his stupid ideas.
>
> Good for Catherine for driving change---while they
> label her a GOP strategist---she has friends on
> both sides of the aisle.
>
> Effective? Just wait and see.
>
> She will have a hand in victories for Schulz,
> Epstein, McLaughlin, Stubin and Lolita.
>
> Not too shabby-getting 5 people elected in one
> year.
>
> Ignore the haters Catherine, your record speaks
> for itself.
>
> You are helping "take out the trash" in this
> school district and the kids will benefit.

It is comments like this one, such personal attacks on our current school board members and some candidates that give Catherine Lorenze such a bad name. There must be a better way of advocating for your point of view than calling people "trash"

Posted by: observatore ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:47AM

sounds like she is a local Karl Rove.
Republicans organizing to take over the school board?
gives me pause I msut say.

Posted by: The Great Communicator ()
Date: October 14, 2011 12:02PM

Calling out the minority kids in Alexandria, Franconia, Springfield, Annnandale as "Route 1 bandits" definitely must not be in her PR playbook. Big mistake by somebody who promotes herself as a Divine Communicator.

— Identify and understand the target audience (FAILED = "all about me")
— Develop clear messages that resonate with the audience (BOTCHED)
— Deliver interesting and compelling creative with speed and agility (FALSE)
- Respond to attacks by opponents (MISCALCULATED)
— Maintain discipline to remain "on message" (BLUNDER = "bandits"_

Posted by: Hidden Agenda ()
Date: October 14, 2011 12:06PM

Lorenze "published" some trash she made up and is passing off as "official emails", her latest trick. In these emails, she blacked-out some of the CC recipients. She is so stupid, she didn't black them out as much as "ddark Blue them out so you can see who is on the list.

One of the emails that caught my eye was a fellow who works at the Heritage Foundation, a Conservative (read Republican) think tank. (todd.gaziano@heritage.org)

Why would a Conservative Foundation want to meddle in such small affairs such as a local school election? Who is she "in bed" with? What is her real agenda?

Read up on what this group stands for at Heritage.org and see what they stand for. If you agree with them, vote for Lorenze's people, if you don't agree with them, vote the opposite.

If you liked Bush and Cheney, you are going to love Epstein and Lorenze.

Posted by: daniel boone ()
Date: October 14, 2011 12:35PM

Is it HER agenda or someone elses?

Look beyond the HER and you will see a trail leading to BOS Pat Herrity and his contacts at the Heritage Foundation. He wants a win badly, too many losses for Pat to count these days. He is using Lorenze to get what he wants: candidates who will demonstrate school mismanagement of funding and other issues. He needs an issue and this it it for his next campaign.

Herrity is building his "kingdom" with his Princess.

Posted by: election watcher ()
Date: October 14, 2011 12:51PM

to Hidden Agenda:

If you liked Bush and Cheney, you are going to love Epstein and Lorenze

Response:

I don't know Catherine--and I don't know if I like her politics. However, I do know that Strauss, Kathy Smith, Stu Gibson, et.al. have done a pretty sorry job of running this School Board. In my mind, they have supported staff at every turn. They only go against staff when it is clear that they will lose more votes than they can afford.

As far as the "at large" candidates, I cannot believe that the Democrats chose "party activists" over school activists. The Dems had several good candidates who could have been great school board members, but chose people like Glassman over good candidates like Allen and Brandon. We saw how that has worked out so far--now we have McElveen. Velkoff has, at least, been invovled in schools--but mostly as a rubber stamp for Kathy Smith. In my mind, he was a very poor choice, too. Moon has proven to be ineffective on the School Board.

So, I guess if you love Strauss, you get to keep her.

If you love Kathy and Stu, then be sure to votes for Velkoff.

I have no idea what McElveen brings to the SB--but my guess is he has political aspirations and no job.

Posted by: Bob in Southeast Loudoun ()
Date: October 14, 2011 01:18PM

So glad we moved to Loudoun before we had our kids so they can't be affected in any way by this meddling twat.

Posted by: Bunk ()
Date: October 14, 2011 01:30PM

Met McElveen a couple months back. He's a fairly recent FCPS grad who was active in SB issues throughout his time as a student. Name one candidate with that kind of ground-level experience. Pretty tired of glorified soccer parentage being considered a better qualification than actually having gone through the system and knowing it backwards and forwards.

Do you fault him for needing to align himself with Democrats (gross) to be taken seriously or for saving us from the trainwreck that would have been Glassman? There's someone with political aspirations. The Democrats had no idea who McElveen was before he just started showing up to those meetings in April. And yeah, through a typical display of Democrat incompetence he had a second crack at it and won. Who was that again who decided to show up at the last minute and run..Jeanne something? Where were Brandon and Allen when they had a chance to go for the endorsement again? Oh right, Allen was busy acting like a spoiled teenager. Give me a break.

Posted by: Sick of Catherine Lorenze ()
Date: October 14, 2011 01:42PM

Catherine "Kingmaker" Lorenze needs to move to D.C. where her methods are more tolerated. In our local contests, particularly with Schultz and Megan McLaughlin, she doesn't understand that we are neighbors and friends regardless of political ideals.

Elizabeth and Megan would be better advised to distance themselves from the self-proclaimed Kingmaker.

Posted by: Client 9 ()
Date: October 14, 2011 01:44PM

Thomas Jefferson Wrote:
> She seems to be interested in benefiting her
> family, her neighborhood, her schools, her
> district, and her political consulting profession.
> Her kind -- it's all about me -- we don't need.

She's another carpetbagger who moved to the county.

Posted by: I disagree ()
Date: October 14, 2011 01:46PM

Personally, I disagree with Allen on many issues--however, I do not question that she had the good of the schools involved. Brandon certainly has put his time in to make the schools better.

McElveen might be smart--but one of his answers to a question about teacher salaries is that his "fiance makes twice as much in New York as a teacher in FCPS." Do you really think our teachers need an $88,000 starting salary for a ten month contract? Until we put some accountability into our system beyond test scores, do you really think that will ensure that the best teachers be hired?

Question: How many applicants did FCPS have this year for teaching positions? I suspect that it was far higher than the number of hires. Yes, we need to treat our teachers fairly, but, people, get real. We are in a recession. Unemployment is high.

Do you really think that being a recent graduate of FCPS is that important? Do you remember what you were like at 25? What were your priorities? I was fairly responsible, but I don't think I had the life experience or work experience necessary to make these huge decisions. I doubt he does either.

Posted by: Bunk ()
Date: October 14, 2011 02:08PM

Why not ask him about his priorities? Look at that guy's resume and tell me he's some 25 year-old flake. Any 25 year-old who goes that bald that early probably has plenty of experience.

Sorry, but the "concerned parent" thing only goes so far. This Red Apple Mom garbage shows how toxic that stuff can get. Why double, triple, quadruple down on one kind of experience when we're actually being given an alternative?

Posted by: Fact Checker ()
Date: October 14, 2011 02:31PM

election watcher Wrote:
> I have no idea what McElveen brings to the SB--but
> my guess is he has political aspirations and no
> job.

You would be wrong. McElveen has a full-time job at Boeing. Seems that defense contractors like smart college graduates who are fluent in Chinese. Go figure.

Posted by: Ryan fan ()
Date: October 14, 2011 02:32PM

I agree with Bunk. Ryan has shown up and impressed people with his extraordinary level of maturity and responsibility. When he first ran for the Democratic endorsement, no one knew him, but he worked hard, and he was a class act. People who don't know Ryan and insist on generalizing about people his age are doing him and themselves a real disservice.

Posted by: Hah ()
Date: October 14, 2011 02:47PM

Catherine Lorenze: the Poisoned Apple Mom!

Posted by: tebo ()
Date: October 14, 2011 03:49PM

Bob in Southeast Loudoun Wrote:
> So glad we moved to Loudoun before we had our kids
> so they can't be affected in any way by this
> meddling twat.

Superintendent Hatrick isn't exactly the prize in educational excellence and wisdom department. Lots of political maneuvers in Loudoun County schools--boundary change disputes, wealthier neighborhoods trying to hijack older neighborhoods' schools.

Posted by: August West ()
Date: October 14, 2011 06:16PM

No one's mentioned the "Snoooozzeee." That's how histrionic teenage girls communicate, not a 43 year old myopic Mclean expelled member of the Momfia.

Posted by: Apparently, Strauss Campaign Thinks Asian Students are Cheaters ()
Date: October 17, 2011 04:32PM

Apparently, Asian Students are Biggest Cheaters

Washington Post Article from May 2006:

One of Janie Strauss' biggest campaign supporters, Elizabeth Lodal, former Principal of McLean High School, was forced to resign as Principal of Thomas Jefferson High School in 2006 for stating that asian students are the biggest cheaters in the school.

Just so you know, Lodal is one of Strauss' heavyweight backers this time around - again.

If you want more of this, then vote for Strauss.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/02/AR2006050201589.html

As a matter of fact, former McLean and TJ High Schools Principal, Elizabeth Lodal, was in attendance at the School Board debate at McLean High School on Monday September 26.

I assume she will also attend the next debate at The Grange in downtown Great Falls at 7 PM on Tuesday October 25.

It would be interesting to ask Strauss and Lodal at the debate whether they think that asian students in our schools are the biggest cheaters.

Do they think that that's how the asian students get into TJHSST as well - by cheating?

I wonder how many dollars of campaign contributions, like-kind support, and campaign event support like home-parties Strauss has accepted from Lodal. Or, now that this is out, how much money has Strauss accepted from Lodal and subsequently returned?

Someone should ask these questions at the debate.

What does Strauss think about asians cheating in schools in Fairfax County and in Dranesville?

http://www.sungazette.net/mclean-greatfalls-vienna-oakton/politics/epstein-gets-aggressive-in-school-board-debate-with-strauss/article_2da3a340-e9cf-11e0-b0a7-001cc4c002e0.html

Posted by: HeeHee ()
Date: October 17, 2011 04:38PM

Apparently, Strauss Campaign Thinks Asian Students are Cheaters Wrote:
> Apparently, Asian Students are Biggest Cheaters
>
> Washington Post Article from May 2006:
>
> One of Janie Strauss' biggest campaign supporters,
> Elizabeth Lodal, former Principal of McLean High
> School, was forced to resign as Principal of
> Thomas Jefferson High School in 2006 for stating
> that asian students are the biggest cheaters in
> the school.
>
> Just so you know, Lodal is one of Strauss'
> heavyweight backers this time around - again.
>
> If you want more of this, then vote for Strauss.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic
> le/2006/05/02/AR2006050201589.html
>
> As a matter of fact, former McLean and TJ High
> Schools Principal, Elizabeth Lodal, was in
> attendance at the School Board debate at McLean
> High School on Monday September 26.
>
> I assume she will also attend the next debate at
> The Grange in downtown Great Falls at 7 PM on
> Tuesday October 25.
>
> It would be interesting to ask Strauss and Lodal
> at the debate whether they think that asian
> students in our schools are the biggest cheaters.
>
>
> Do they think that that's how the asian students
> get into TJHSST as well - by cheating?
>
> I wonder how many dollars of campaign
> contributions, like-kind support, and campaign
> event support like home-parties Strauss has
> accepted from Lodal. Or, now that this is out, how
> much money has Strauss accepted from Lodal and
> subsequently returned?
>
> Someone should ask these questions at the debate.
>
>
> What does Strauss think about asians cheating in
> schools in Fairfax County and in Dranesville?
>
> http://www.sungazette.net/mclean-greatfalls-vienna
> -oakton/politics/epstein-gets-aggressive-in-school
> -board-debate-with-strauss/article_2da3a340-e9cf-1
> 1e0-b0a7-001cc4c002e0.html

Well, since you seem intent on repeating this on every sub-topic, Kingmaker, I'll give the same response:

1. Somebody -- not Strauss -- said something stupid six years ago. It wasn't Strauss.
2. That person promptly apologized, and quit.
3. Golly, who kicked her on the way out? Read the article -- it's JANIE!
4. No indication at all that Strauss associated herself in any way with the objectionable comments.
5. So we're left with something that was said six years ago, not by Strauss -- and y'all are demanding that Strauss respond NOW.

Sound silly?

Because it IS.

Now, if you want amusement, let's discuss what Kingmaker has said in the last WEEK, and whether her various clones are standing by her . . . those bandits on Route 1!

Posted by: Gatehouse2?enough said ()
Date: October 17, 2011 04:53PM

An irritated mom who started a blog. Stuff on that is nothing compared to the rants I heard at youth sports from kent Gardens and other parents. 34 or 35 kids in her kid's class at Springhill ad had Hooker as a principal at kent gardens.

At least she's sticking it out in public school. Do you realize how many in Mclean and great Falls flee the crap?

It's not a nice clean beach but rather one filled with crap from Canadian geese....

Posted by: HollaHolla ()
Date: October 17, 2011 04:57PM

Gatehouse2?enough said Wrote:
> An irritated mom who started a blog.

No, she's an irritated right-wing Republican politican consultant -- linked (by her own e-mails) to the Heritage Foundation -- who is now trying to work her own political magic in Fairfax County, as (by her own words) a "kingmaker", so she can stick it to (her own words) those kids on Route 1 who are making out like bandits.

She's not just a mom. She's a hired gun.

Posted by: Undecided ()
Date: October 17, 2011 04:59PM

I cannot make a decision without a pic. pic or gtfo.

Posted by: Janie's should have fixed it ()
Date: October 17, 2011 05:21PM

I don't know Lorenze--but I would be mad too if my kid had 36 kids in his class when there are schools with 17.

Yes, the poor kids should get more--but twice as much? Don't think so.

Janie should have helped out with this issue when it was first brought to her attention. Perhaps that is why Lorenze is angry. Janie did not support her own constituents.

If Janie had shown interest and concern to her constituent she probably would not have an opponent.

Posted by: Please ()
Date: October 17, 2011 05:24PM

Janie's should have fixed it Wrote:
> I don't know Lorenze--but I would be mad too if my
> kid had 36 kids in his class when there are
> schools with 17.
>
> Yes, the poor kids should get more--but twice as
> much? Don't think so.
>
> Janie should have helped out with this issue when
> it was first brought to her attention. Perhaps
> that is why Lorenze is angry. Janie did not
> support her own constituents.
>
> If Janie had shown interest and concern to her
> constituent she probably would not have an
> opponent.

Oh, bullshit. The Poison Apple Mom's trying to run her own little takeover; it's not just Strauss. You don't have to like Janie Strauss; just read about the Kingmaker, and look at who's behind her -- and you'll realize what she's trying to do.

Posted by: Not John Foust ()
Date: October 17, 2011 05:35PM

Please Wrote:
> Oh, bullshit. The Poison Apple Mom's trying to
> run her own little takeover; it's not just
> Strauss. You don't have to like Janie Strauss;
> just read about the Kingmaker, and look at who's
> behind her -- and you'll realize what she's trying
> to do.

Agreed. Looks like Lorenze has a major case of Barbara Comstock-envy and is trying hard to make a name for herself.

Liz Bradsher earned the name "South County B____." Lorenze has a lock on the North County title.

Posted by: She is sheep in wolves clothing ()
Date: October 17, 2011 06:17PM

Is she trust worthy? She was able to get onto the local news. How did she do that?
Who is she really working for?

Posted by: gatehouse2? enough said ()
Date: October 17, 2011 06:19PM

HollaHolla Wrote:
> Gatehouse2?enough said Wrote:
> -----
> > An irritated mom who started a blog.
>
> No, she's an irritated right-wing Republican
> politican consultant -- linked (by her own
> e-mails) to the Heritage Foundation -- who is now
> trying to work her own political magic in Fairfax
> County, as (by her own words) a "kingmaker", so
> she can stick it to (her own words) those kids on
> Route 1 who are making out like bandits.
>
> She's not just a mom. She's a hired gun.

Lorenz isn't running for office . Louise Epstein is the candidate. $ from route 1? Dranesville should have gotten some of the $ from SOCO middle school. Or never have been taxed to pay for the damn thing in the first place.

Do any of you read and analyze the budgets? Dale has slush funds and members like Strauss have settled for financial oddity. No one seems to have a handle on actual instruction nor what all these people do on the public payroll.

Posted by: agree ()
Date: October 17, 2011 06:51PM

Gatehouse2?Enough Said said:

Lorenz isn't running for office . Louise Epstein is the candidate. $ from route 1? Dranesville should have gotten some of the $ from SOCO middle school. Or never have been taxed to pay for the damn thing in the first place.

Do any of you read and analyze the budgets? Dale has slush funds and members like Strauss have settled for financial oddity. No one seems to have a handle on actual instruction nor what all these people do on the public payroll.

+1

Posted by: don't agree ()
Date: October 17, 2011 06:57PM

No, no, no. What is "financial oddity" anyway? No slush funds exist, the money is all accounted for, and Louise Epstein has refused to disavow Catherine's nasty and boorish comments. Louise Epstein may be the candidate, but Catherine Lorenz is the power behind the throne, and either Louise is afraid to step out in front of her or Louise agrees with her. Either way, don't vote for Epstein.

Posted by: financial oddity? ()
Date: October 17, 2011 07:04PM

In my opinion, a "financial oddity" is "finding" the funds for full-day K in the budget after years of insisting that the money is not there......remember 37 schools have been waiting for full day K beyond the time it was promised.

Posted by: Damn ()
Date: October 17, 2011 07:28PM

financial oddity? Wrote:
> In my opinion, a "financial oddity" is "finding"
> the funds for full-day K in the budget after years
> of insisting that the money is not
> there......remember 37 schools have been waiting
> for full day K beyond the time it was promised.

I think it's great the way y'all change the subject every time someone points out that Lorenze is pulling the strings for all the little right-wing puppet moms.

Posted by: Coulda Fooled Me ()
Date: October 17, 2011 07:32PM

agree Wrote:
> Gatehouse2?Enough Said said:
>
> Lorenz isn't running for office . Louise Epstein
> is the candidate. $ from route 1? Dranesville
> should have gotten some of the $ from SOCO middle
> school. Or never have been taxed to pay for the
> damn thing in the first place.
>
> Do any of you read and analyze the budgets? Dale
> has slush funds and members like Strauss have
> settled for financial oddity. No one seems to have
> a handle on actual instruction nor what all these
> people do on the public payroll.
>
So what if Epstein is the candidate? That's like saying Medvedev is the most powerful man in Russia.

Epstein is completely overshadowed by Lorenze. Either she can't shut her up, or she's asked Lorenze to make all the negative remarks that she doesn't want to say herself. If the former, she's incompetent. If the latter, she lacks class and perspective. Either way, Lorenze's antics have gutted Epstein as a serious candidate.

Posted by: gatehouse2? enough said ()
Date: October 17, 2011 08:27PM

don't agree Wrote:
> No, no, no. What is "financial oddity" anyway?
> No slush funds exist, the money is all accounted
> for, and Louise Epstein has refused to disavow
> Catherine's nasty and boorish comments. Louise
> Epstein may be the candidate, but Catherine Lorenz
> is the power behind the throne, and either Louise
> is afraid to step out in front of her or Louise
> agrees with her. Either way, don't vote for
> Epstein.

Go to budget detail sheets for each school. Oops. FCPS removed the link and they are not available today.
http://www.fcps.edu/fs/budget/budgetdocuments.shtml

I saw them a few weeks ago and found a lack of definition - staff counts include non ratio based positions.

Posted by: Hah. ()
Date: October 18, 2011 07:13AM

gatehouse2? enough said Wrote:
> don't agree Wrote:
> -----
> > No, no, no. What is "financial oddity" anyway?
>
> > No slush funds exist, the money is all
> accounted
> > for, and Louise Epstein has refused to disavow
> > Catherine's nasty and boorish comments. Louise
> > Epstein may be the candidate, but Catherine
> Lorenz
> > is the power behind the throne, and either
> Louise
> > is afraid to step out in front of her or Louise
> > agrees with her. Either way, don't vote for
> > Epstein.
>
> Go to budget detail sheets for each school. Oops.
> FCPS removed the link and they are not available
> today.
> http://www.fcps.edu/fs/budget/budgetdocuments.shtm
> l
>
> I saw them a few weeks ago and found a lack of
> definition - staff counts include non ratio based
> positions.

Maybe your reading comprehension skills are poor. Maybe you're just a frustrated soccer mom with too much time on your hands. Maybe you should spend less time listening to the Kingmaker.

Posted by: Six Oysters ()
Date: October 18, 2011 08:46AM

Lorenze...Palin...is there any real difference after hair color? Two gutter-dwelling, class-warfare-mongering, right-wing bimbos pushing a phony, divisive, and doomed-to-fail-from-the-outset Tea Party-style agenda. Me-me-me-me-me? Dictatorship of the lied-to and disinformed masses? Haven't we had quite enough of that poison already?

Posted by: HahHah ()
Date: October 18, 2011 08:54AM

While they are both right wing, manipulative, sneaky and inclined to do or say anything to win. the Kingmaker would NEVER allow the Palins to attend any of her social events. Not the right kind of people.

Date: October 18, 2011 09:30AM

tebo Wrote:
> Bob in Southeast Loudoun Wrote:
> -----
> > So glad we moved to Loudoun before we had our
> kids
> > so they can't be affected in any way by this
> > meddling twat.
>
> Superintendent Hatrick isn't exactly the prize in
> educational excellence and wisdom department.
> Lots of political maneuvers in Loudoun County
> schools--boundary change disputes, wealthier
> neighborhoods trying to hijack older
> neighborhoods' schools.

Oh sure, we have the usual school-related bullshit here too. But we have no one like this shrew trying to play kingmaker on the School Board (yet).

Speaking of Louise Epstein, while she touts her HLS background, she was not considered an intellectual heavyweight. I can see her being manipulated by this harridan Lorenze.

Posted by: Gatehouse2? enough said ()
Date: October 18, 2011 09:38AM

Hah. Wrote:
> gatehouse2? enough said Wrote:
> -----
> > don't agree Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > No, no, no. What is "financial oddity"
> anyway?
> >
> > > No slush funds exist, the money is all
> > accounted
> > > for, and Louise Epstein has refused to
> disavow
> > > Catherine's nasty and boorish comments.
> Louise
> > > Epstein may be the candidate, but Catherine
> > Lorenz
> > > is the power behind the throne, and either
> > Louise
> > > is afraid to step out in front of her or
> Louise
> > > agrees with her. Either way, don't vote for
> > > Epstein.
> >
> > Go to budget detail sheets for each school.
> Oops.
> > FCPS removed the link and they are not
> available
> > today.
> >
> http://www.fcps.edu/fs/budget/budgetdocuments.shtm
>
> > l
> >
> > I saw them a few weeks ago and found a lack of
> > definition - staff counts include non ratio
> based
> > positions.
>
> Maybe your reading comprehension skills are poor.
> Maybe you're just a frustrated soccer mom with too
> much time on your hands. Maybe you should spend
> less time listening to the Kingmaker.

No my reading comprehension skills are not poor. I am in favor of Dale's staffing ratio which should replace program allocations. I want all non ratio staff costs to appear as separate line items on each school's budget. I expect program budgets. Who is the kingmaker?

How irritated would you be with 35 kids in a 3rd grade class? Lorenz broke the Kent gardens code of silence. get your paws on the old Hooker audit report then criticize Lorenz. the woman moved to mclean and found herself in that shitshow.

Posted by: Assessment ()
Date: October 18, 2011 10:03AM

It's Lorenze, not Lorenz, and I have no issue with her complaining about class sizes. It's not like McLean is the only part of the county with big classes; she's just implied that as part of her attack on Strauss.

Just as Lorenze would rather be a "Kingmaker" than a candidate, I'd rather that she be an agitator than a "Kingmaker." Neither she nor her candidate has the right temperament to represent any interests other than her own.

Posted by: WHAT? ()
Date: October 18, 2011 10:04AM

Who's the kingmaker?

Blasphemy.

It's your leader, Queen Catherine of Lorenze.

See the last line of this article; she said it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/gop-strategist-a-key-actor-in-fairfax-school-election/2011/10/06/gIQAVMX4hL_story_1.html

Posted by: curious ()
Date: October 18, 2011 10:09AM

Queen of meddeling makes big break on local trash TV:

Posted by: Hah ()
Date: October 18, 2011 11:02AM

curious Wrote:
> > Queen of meddeling makes big break on local
> trash TV:

Oh, the "come hither" look. I wonder how many pool boys and gardeners have seen that look?

Posted by: Viewer ()
Date: October 18, 2011 12:07PM

Great video of a typical FCPS classroom: all black students with a white teacher. They must be the ones "making out like bandits" according to Lorenze.

Posted by: i would say this ()
Date: October 18, 2011 12:33PM

I would think that both the School Board and the Superintendent's office should treat Lorenze in the same way a competent CEO and Board of a public company handles short sellers, who at times can be very useful messengers of accountability but also can often be "over the top" in promoting their interests. No competent Board or CEO can survive without dealing well, and properly, with such critics, especially if the critics either are or represent shareholders. I assume that she is viewed as threatening only in the context of this election, which of course is politics and can be negative? By the way, I don't generally ascribe to comparing corporate business to the education business, but in this case, the way in which critics are managed and handled has a common thread. Critics are useful, and guard against complacency, even if they are at times wrong or reflect concerns which are too narrow.

Posted by: I would say this. ()
Date: October 18, 2011 12:42PM

i would say this Wrote:
> I would think that both the School Board and the
> Superintendent's office should treat Lorenze in
> the same way a competent CEO and Board of a public
> company handles short sellers, who at times can be
> very useful messengers of accountability but also
> can often be "over the top" in promoting their
> interests. No competent Board or CEO can survive
> without dealing well, and properly, with such
> critics, especially if the critics either are or
> represent shareholders. I assume that she is
> viewed as threatening only in the context of this
> election, which of course is politics and can be
> negative? By the way, I don't generally ascribe
> to comparing corporate business to the education
> business, but in this case, the way in which
> critics are managed and handled has a common
> thread. Critics are useful, and guard against
> complacency, even if they are at times wrong or
> reflect concerns which are too narrow.

I would say that anybody who can look at the kids on Route 1 and claim that they're making out like bandits is pretty much insane.

Date: October 18, 2011 12:50PM

I would say this. Wrote:
> i would say this Wrote:
> -----
> > I would think that both the School Board and
> the
> > Superintendent's office should treat Lorenze in
> > the same way a competent CEO and Board of a
> public
> > company handles short sellers, who at times can
> be
> > very useful messengers of accountability but
> also
> > can often be "over the top" in promoting their
> > interests. No competent Board or CEO can
> survive
> > without dealing well, and properly, with such
> > critics, especially if the critics either are
> or
> > represent shareholders. I assume that she is
> > viewed as threatening only in the context of
> this
> > election, which of course is politics and can
> be
> > negative? By the way, I don't generally
> ascribe
> > to comparing corporate business to the
> education
> > business, but in this case, the way in which
> > critics are managed and handled has a common
> > thread. Critics are useful, and guard against
> > complacency, even if they are at times wrong or
> > reflect concerns which are too narrow.
>
> I would say that anybody who can look at the kids
> on Route 1 and claim that they're making out like
> bandits is pretty much insane.

Right up there with old Babs Bush commenting that the Hurricane Katrina victims displaced to the Houston Astrodome were making out very well.

Posted by: Chandler ()
Date: October 18, 2011 01:44PM

Hah Wrote:
> curious Wrote:
> -----
> > > Queen of meddeling makes big break on local
> > trash TV:
>
>
> Oh, the "come hither" look. I wonder how many
> pool boys and gardeners have seen that look?

Now, now. I think she's just aiming for the Guinness Book of World Records. Oldest soccer mom in history with a Jennifer Anniston cut.

Posted by: HoHo ()
Date: October 18, 2011 01:54PM

Chandler Wrote:
> Hah Wrote:
> -----
> > curious Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > > Queen of meddeling makes big break on local
> > > trash TV:
> >
> >
> > Oh, the "come hither" look. I wonder how many
> > pool boys and gardeners have seen that look?
>
> Now, now. I think she's just aiming for the
> Guinness Book of World Records. Oldest soccer mom
> in history with a Jennifer Anniston cut.

Could the Kingmaker BE more evil?

Posted by: Vids ()
Date: October 26, 2011 07:57PM

Not sure I agree with her politics but I think she is hot.

Posted by: cmon ()
Date: October 26, 2011 08:02PM

Bob in Southeast Loudoun Wrote:
> I would say this. Wrote:
> -----
> > i would say this Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I would think that both the School Board and
> > the
> > > Superintendent's office should treat Lorenze
> in
> > > the same way a competent CEO and Board of a
> > public
> > > company handles short sellers, who at times
> can
> > be
> > > very useful messengers of accountability but
> > also
> > > can often be "over the top" in promoting
> their
> > > interests. No competent Board or CEO can
> > survive
> > > without dealing well, and properly, with such
> > > critics, especially if the critics either are
> > or
> > > represent shareholders. I assume that she
> is
> > > viewed as threatening only in the context of
> > this
> > > election, which of course is politics and
> can
> > be
> > > negative? By the way, I don't generally
> > ascribe
> > > to comparing corporate business to the
> > education
> > > business, but in this case, the way in which
> > > critics are managed and handled has a common
> > > thread. Critics are useful, and guard
> against
> > > complacency, even if they are at times wrong
> or
> > > reflect concerns which are too narrow.
> >
> > I would say that anybody who can look at the
> kids
> > on Route 1 and claim that they're making out
> like
> > bandits is pretty much insane.
>
> Right up there with old Babs Bush commenting that
> the Hurricane Katrina victims displaced to the
> Houston Astrodome were making out very well.

They have refrigerators. Air-conditioning. Television. How "poor" can they really be.? No they real need here folks is for more help for the Kids with BMWs and 1800 SATs at Langley.

Posted by: I agree ()
Date: October 26, 2011 08:05PM

We need more hot women to get out the vote.

Liz Bradsher is a great example. She wanted power but she is a hag and a stupid bitch to boot.

Her poor slutty daughter on here looks about forty.

Posted by: Phoenix rises ()
Date: November 08, 2011 11:47PM

Catherine,
Pay backs are hell aren't they?

Hope you learned something today. You did have it in the palm of your hands, it was your's to loose and you did with GOP help from Bedell and Herrity. Hope someone in that party wises up. Herrity's loss record is really taking on quite a count. I am sure the School System couldn't be happier as well as the majority of county residents.

Posted by: Justataxpayer ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:06AM

Schultz won in Herrity's district. How again did Herrity lose?

Posted by: The Puzzle Pieces ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:18AM

Schultz was a given, Herrity put money and staff into that horse race.

He was operating with Lorenze behind the scenes on a daily basis. He orchestrated the GOP At Large candidate round-up and Lorenze was in on all that. Herrity wanted his "team" on the SB so that he could prove mismanagement and use this to take him to a higher office. He lost tonight. He has Reed and Schultz to be his SB puppets but no at larges. He has no majority and Lorenze has no kings.

Schultz really lost tonight, she will never get anywhere on that Board. She will be silenced.

Posted by: Epstein hater (except I dislike the term hate) ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:04AM

Catherine and Louise, you overplayed your hands. Learn to listen to the true values people really care about next time.

Posted by: Gloria Allred ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:02PM

Kingmaker is back to backbencher.
Kingmaker is now a cookiebaker.
Kingmaker is still a cold-hearted bizzatch.

Posted by: nananana... ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:14PM

Gibson gone....Bradsher gone....Center gone.....Raney gone......Wilson gone...

Good guys lose Hone and gain Mac, Schultz and Ryan.

Not a bad day.

Posted by: Moby Dick ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:17PM

The School Board can't do anything until the budget is reworked. Until then, this rubber stamp body is just.

Changing seats on the Titanic didn't keep the boat from sinking.

Posted by: Correction ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:21PM

Correction: Gibson retired....Bradsher retired....Center retired.....Raney retired......Wilson retired...

so it would have happened with or without you.

Macheno-Smoak gone....Lin-Dai gone....Kaplan-Brown gone....Epstein gone... Lorenze gone...

Not a bad day.

Posted by: define retired? ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:25PM

Bradsher was so desperate to keep her job she was willing to switch parties.

Wilson was despised by Woodson pyramid---no happy send off party coming.

Center had to quit because he has a full time job-that he sucks at btw.

Stu would love to think that Reston gives a crap about him--probably hoping he will get a building named after him--like Plum. Let's name the port-o-potties after Gibson.

Posted by: Lorenze cost Epstein the win ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:30PM

Louise Epstein was a good candidate...but the way she ran her campaign showed me Louise was not ready to serve.

Posted by: Republicans cost her ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:39PM

It was the idiot Republican head that caused Epstein to lose.

Louise had bi-partisan support and teacher,ZTR backing. She was gold.

If the egomaniacs didn't make her kiss up to the losers in the party and use their ballot, she could have won.

She had the staffing-if she had simply handed out the FCFT sample ballot and her flyer-a lot more would have voted for her.

Instead the party brought her down with the losers like Hurley.

Posted by: Lorenze cost Epstein the win ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:44PM

...why didn't she hand out the "FCFT sample ballot and her flyer"?

Posted by: Recap ()
Date: March 04, 2012 10:13AM

Seems like Lorenze has disappeared. If she'd only gone into hiding last summer, some of her candidates might have won.

Posted by: Yellow Apple Mom ()
Date: March 04, 2012 12:21PM

Lorenze went up against the FCPS leadership in a very negative way and lost, taking a lot of good people down with her. She abandoned her Red Apple Mom blog in November shortly after the elections, proving to everyone that it was just about being a kingmaker and not about improving our school system.

I hope we have all learned a lesson from watching her tactics, as we did from Liz Bradsher.

Posted by: an observer ()
Date: March 04, 2012 12:46PM

I hope she starts writing on her blog again. There is a lot going on in FCPS that needs to be reported by someone other than Patch.

Did you know that McElveen is trying to get an hour per day language instruction? Great idea--but in these financial times......someone needs to start reporting this stuff.

Posted by: Whoopsy ()
Date: March 04, 2012 12:58PM

an observer Wrote:
> I hope she starts writing on her blog again.
> There is a lot going on in FCPS that needs to be
> reported by someone other than Patch.
>
> Did you know that McElveen is trying to get an
> hour per day language instruction? Great
> idea--but in these financial times......someone
> needs to start reporting this stuff.

Fairfax County improves a little every day she stays out of the schools, out of politics, and off her blog.

She thought she was Fairfax County's Karl Rove. Didn't work out that well.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.