HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Neighbor is a hoarder
Posted by: Eneim5199 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 06:25PM

I'm new to fairfax county and my neighbor is a full blown hoarder, there is stuffin her house stacked all the way up her windows and you see her 3 dogs climb up the trash to the top of the windows We have an hoa which we've called and they referred us to code compliance and to make a long story sort they said "we will attempt to contact the person about this but cannot guarantee any results".

Hopefully someone has dealt wit this and can give us some advice.

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Neighbor is a hoarder
Posted by: M03 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 06:27PM

Did you see the front page of the Washington Post today?

Posted by: Southeast Jerome ()
Date: October 13, 2011 06:30PM

Eneim5199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm new to fairfax county and my neighbor is a
> full blown hoarder, there is stuffin her house
> stacked all the way up her windows and you see her
> 3 dogs climb up the trash to the top of the
> windows We have an hoa which we've called and
> they referred us to code compliance and to make a
> long story sort they said "we will attempt to
> contact the person about this but cannot guarantee
> any results".
>
> Hopefully someone has dealt wit this and can give
> us some advice.
>
> Thanks in advance

I'm sorry...Why is this your business exactly?

Posted by: 6X ()
Date: October 13, 2011 06:46PM

What's it to you?? She was there first....been there forever and you move in from..... who knows where to throw your stones? Go back where you came from.

Posted by: lolyer ()
Date: October 13, 2011 06:53PM

Who gives a shit - Is it causing any ill effects on you or your household? Is it a rowhome / townhome or single family home? If it were a townhome, you could have may cite a fire issue..

Is things astray in the yard or outside of the hoarder's house?

If not, I would just chalk it up to one's lifestyle.. Who cares? If it's not affecting your health, safety, or house / property values, then I would leave it alone..

Posted by: M03 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 06:56PM

A lot of people are hoarders. It's not uncommon actually. There's 2 TV shows about it, lol. But the county and HOA are dealing with this the best they can. And since the problem is more common than you know you're probably going to be on a long waiting list. In the meantime go and offer her a hand? Is she elderly?

Posted by: mind your own business ()
Date: October 13, 2011 07:00PM

as long as the stuff is just inside her house whats it to you. shes not hurting anyone or bothering anyone. let her live her life and you live yours

Posted by: fatboyx ()
Date: October 13, 2011 07:04PM

All of yall are bashing this guy. He probably lives in a townhouse, and this bitch probably just lets her dogs shit all over the house. Dog shit attracts bugs, rats, and god knows what else. He has a right to be concerned.

Posted by: NeighborhoodLaw ()
Date: October 13, 2011 07:17PM

Complain and report it to whoever's in charge, i.e., the housing management company, put it all in writing, dates, times, et. al. Better to let someone know IF the problems are not dealt with in a timely manner. IF at all you feel threatened, then that's a separate issue altogether. Otherwise, do what you feel is best for yourself and the neighbor. OK?

PLAINTIFF vs. IN CONSIDERATE NEIGHBOR.

Take lake action IF necessary.

Posted by: animal cruelty? ()
Date: October 13, 2011 08:17PM

If you suspect that there is animal neglect or cruelty (likely a MESS in there if it's a hoarder situation. Dog shit everywhere. They can't keep up. It gets out of hand quickly) call animal control...or social services if you want to play "concerned" about her quality of life.

Posted by: Talk about sad ()
Date: October 13, 2011 08:28PM

Where were you when you bought your home? Did you not look look at your neighborhood? Even though I do not agree with hoarding since it is a mental health issue I still lay some blame on you.

I think this is so sad. I hope you can reach out to your neighbor to help them. Compassion is needed.

Date: October 13, 2011 09:15PM

Wow. Did not expect this many replies so quickly.
-it is a townhouse
-have killed 6 mice in my traps in the last week
-3 dogs living in this filth (neighbor is gone from house sometimes for a full day and I'm sure there not just holding it)
-major fire hazard

Judging by your replies many of you are pig hoarders yourself or you don't have the brainpower to realize some of the many hazards this problem causes. My neighbor is a nice enough person I just don't want my family to be in any harm.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: October 13, 2011 09:22PM

it shouldn't be the cause of mice/rate infestation unless conditions exist outside the house to support the population. we had a possum come into our yard from the neighbor's garage because they used the garage for a storage area and never cleaned it out. the same situation at another nearby townhouse in the same block led to rat infestation.

Posted by: You are fucked ()
Date: October 13, 2011 09:27PM

Plus you are stupid. Just living in a townhouse spells stupid. Did you buy from a foreclosure? Did you not know what you were going to live next too?

We can't help you now. Sure you can call the county and it will take months to get YOUR problem resolved with our tax money. F U loser.

Posted by: Duh Woodburn Time ()
Date: October 13, 2011 09:46PM

Mental health folks, through perhaps FCPD or other resources might be able to help this individual.

Date: October 13, 2011 09:51PM

^
Hey buddy you ok? You must have a life not worth living to even post crap like that. Just a demented Internet bad ass who is 6'9" pure muscle in front of a keyboard. Get a life pal.

Posted by: Quit Whining on FFXU ()
Date: October 14, 2011 02:10AM

Talk about sad Wrote:
> Where were you when you bought your home? Did you
> not look look at your neighborhood?

This.

If it is so bad, and so noticable, why did you buy your house/townhouse? The law has a term for this, "coming to the nuisance".

If it is against code, fine, take appropriate measures. If not, STFU.

Posted by: Call code enforcement-guidance ()
Date: October 14, 2011 09:48AM

Hoarders are endangering themselves and those who live adjacent too them. They endanger those that try to help them. Potential structural "sagging" issues. Fire Hazard, "wet weight issues" possible collapse hazard if firefighters were to "put water on it". Various degrees of hoarders, volume etc. Dogs or otheranimals are likely making the situation worse. I have seen this, the owners will refuse help, on most cases. Mice easily live in the walls and shared roof/attics spaces. Gaining access to adjacent homes (TH's, apt's, etc).

Since you are new to the home, perhaps you could feel out the situation with other neighbors to see if simular concerns exist. If so, its time to act, before the space heater this winter sets the place ablaze.

FCFD, code enforncement. Call them to discuss hoarders, issues and when a person should act on the observation. ( this is just my opinion, I do not work for the fire dept.)

Posted by: FXCO ()
Date: October 14, 2011 10:30AM

Posted by: TypicalFFX ()
Date: October 14, 2011 10:42AM

You are fucked Wrote:
> Plus you are stupid. Just living in a townhouse
> spells stupid.

...and it is outstanding comments like that to lead me to never post anything serious here.

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: October 14, 2011 10:58AM

In my experience the mice/rats are probably coming from the outside. I had this issue as well and it was due to half the neighbors in our row just putting trash in uncovered trash cans and leaving it in the backyard for days before the next trash pick-up, some of them just put the white bag out back until trash day. Once we talked to them and explained that we were not just being assholes when we continually asked that everyone use a trash can with a lid, they all bought or made sure that the trash was put in a can with a lid and now the problem is gone. Mice and rats will also eat dog crap so if the dogs are going in the house your problem may be coming from both inside and out.

Posted by: Tony Soprano, Waste Management Engineer ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:08AM

BB*X Wrote:
> In my experience the mice/rats are probably coming
> from the outside. I had this issue as well and it
> was due to half the neighbors in our row just
> putting trash in uncovered trash cans and leaving
> it in the backyard for days before the next trash
> pick-up, some of them just put the white bag out
> back until trash day. Once we talked to them and
> explained that we were not just being assholes
> when we continually asked that everyone use a
> trash can with a lid, they all bought or made sure
> that the trash was put in a can with a lid and now
> the problem is gone. Mice and rats will also eat
> dog crap so if the dogs are going in the house
> your problem may be coming from both inside and
> out.

It used to be the garbage collection companies would provide trash cans with covers. In fact, BFI developed this whole rig where they gave their customers a trash can on wheels with a flip top lid (so the lid wouldn't get lost) and then it had steel bars on the front that would interface with a hydraulic lift on the side of the truck which would then dump the can.

It's too bad they aren't doing that anymore. Regardless...homeowners (or tenants) can't just put bagged trash outside the home and not expect that to draw bugs and or rodents.

Posted by: Mr Fixit ()
Date: October 15, 2011 12:29AM

Hoarders are why Al Gore invented gasoline and matches.

Posted by: Contact ()
Date: October 15, 2011 02:05AM

Contact the Fairfax County Hoarding Task Force

Posted by: jhey ()
Date: October 15, 2011 10:37AM

These guys might help: http://hoardersdocumentary.com/

I'M A FIVE-STAR MAN!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2011 10:38AM by jhey.

Posted by: why we like elbow room ()
Date: October 15, 2011 11:28AM

I sympathize with this person. We lived in a townhouse and had a "hoarder" next door. This was way before the days of the TV shows about it. The owner had several advanced degrees, a prominent government job, and was actually a very talented individual in many ways. We could not open our windows because we would smell the stench from her townhouse. There was no way we could know about this when we looked at the townhouse to buy it because the windows were closed and all her stuff was inside with drapes closed. You just could not tell.

We lived there for several years and one day she was in a car accident and died. I'm not making this up. Anyway, the next owners were probably worse in some ways---they were with the State Dept. and were sent out of country and left their 25 year old son in the house (with 2 of his buddies). I don't even want to talk about that. The house had to be completely renovated when the parents finally returned. Then they sold it to a couple from a country where the government is run by Islamic fundamentalists. Then we heard the man chasing the woman around the house and the bed banging against the wall. Very entertaining, especially when trying to get to sleep.

Now we live in a single family house and we have not had any problems with neighbors. It's boring and peaceful.

Posted by: TomSin NJ ()
Date: August 25, 2012 05:13PM

I completely sympathize with you. My next door neighbor is a hoarder with a front porch and yard filled with trash and junk. There are storage containers piled up from when she used to try and clean things, but she's long given that up and stuff is just thrown everywhere. UPS delivers packages at least 3 to 4 times every week and many of those packages just sit in a huge pile on the front porch, never opened, never even brought inside.
I was in the house once several years ago and boxes were stacked from the floor to about halfway up the wall. I'm sure by this point the boxes have hit the ceiling.
In the past few months, she has also taken to feeding stray cats by leaving opened cans of cat food all over the front of the house. Of course the cans are never cleaned up, so dozens of empty tin cans now just add to the mess.
Her yard attracts all types of strays looking for food: cats, dogs, opposums and mice. I have complained to the city on numerous occasions, but nothing is ever done.

Posted by: snakeinthegrass ()
Date: August 25, 2012 06:41PM

I think through all the name-calling and finger-pointing you missed that the hoarder in question has pets. I would suggest calling Animal Control and asking about inhumane environments.

Posted by: damn someone pulled this thing out of a year old pile ()
Date: August 25, 2012 11:55PM

this is a hell of a old post pull up.

horders are awesome, they buy shit they never use and you can just take it since they will never notice. FreeBee's

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.