HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
John Cook+Nell Hurley vs. Janet Olezyk+Megan McLaughlin
Posted by: Marie ()
Date: October 13, 2011 04:28PM

The Braddock District supervisor and school board elections are interesting in that the supervisor candidates have really pushed that that they are teammates with their chosen school board candidate. They make the case that if you vote for John Cook that you should vote for Nell Hurley, and vice versa. Is this to show that the school board can work better with the board of supervisors if these "teams" are elected, or is it just convenient for funding and party loyalty?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: John Cook+Nell Hurley vs. Janet Olezyk+Megan McLaughlin
Posted by: Troll Hater ()
Date: October 13, 2011 04:34PM

That's "Oleszek" you turd. Or are you just trying to make sure it doesn't come up in the search engines? In that case:

Janet Oleszek
Janet Oleszek
Janet Oleszek
Janet Oleszek
Janet Oleszek
Janet Oleszek
Janet Oleszek
Janet Oleszek
Janet Oleszek
Janet Oleszek

Posted by: bad idea ()
Date: October 13, 2011 04:43PM

Cook is an idiot if he aligns himself with Nell.

This is a game changer guy-voters are no longer paying attention to party labels.

They better get on board the new train-or else.....

Posted by: bad idea? ()
Date: October 13, 2011 07:10PM

Why a bad idea? Nell Hurley seems to have the experience (High School PTA President, youth group leader, senior Navy officer) to do the job. She gets results from the county and school staffs. And her philosophy seems to match Cook's: encourage the local community organizations and individual schools to participate and have a say in decisions that affect them.

Posted by: Janet is Toast ()
Date: October 14, 2011 12:44AM

From tonight's debate:

After recycling through her memorized talking points, Janet created a talk show forum with Chap Petersen, Megan McLaughlin, and a supporter. And said supporter asked prepared questions for Janet to respond with prepared answers. Not one single voter at the public forum was allowed to ask Janet a question. The reasoning must have come from the West Springfield forum the other night where apparently Janet was being eaten alive by simple questions - to the point that the Oleszek people accused Cook of plants.

Chap looked pissed that he missed the Caps-Pens game (good guys won in OT, btw). Megan had to be thinking that this farce could cost her her election.

Posted by: I was there ()
Date: October 14, 2011 09:19AM

I was at the Bonnie Brae event last night. And I thought what Janet did was interesting. Like Cook, Janet spent the first half talking about her history, what she did in elected office, why she was running. But then she brought up the people who were on her "Team to Put Braddock First" flyer, plus a representative from the teachers union, to talk about what she said was the largest part of the county's budget, education-- 53% of the budget. She also mentioned that the Board of Supervisors had identified having a better relationship with the School Board as their top priority for 2011. I didn't know that before, and it's definitely a good talking point for Janet because of her School Board experience.

That said, the person I came with had planned to ask Janet a question, but he said that since there are lots of other opportunities left to do that at future debates, he didn't care. I learned something during all three candidates' half hours last night, but I learned the most from Janet's half hour. I wish they would do more events like last night with half hour blocks because that way you can really get to know the candidate better than you do with 60 or 90 second responses to random questions.

Posted by: school board observer ()
Date: October 14, 2011 09:56AM

I don't live in Braddock, but I do remember Janet from the School Board. Did anyone ever watch her in action? I would never vote for her.

Posted by: Trying to Find It ()
Date: October 16, 2011 06:13PM

Could someone post the link where Megan McLaughlin's friend called her the next Liz Bradsher?

Posted by: In Their Own Words ()
Date: October 19, 2011 01:07AM

You read it, then decide who is better for governing our schools:

http://www.fccpta.org/content/megan-mclaughlin

http://www.fccpta.org/content/nell-hurley

Posted by: An Internet Archive ()
Date: October 19, 2011 06:33PM

Megan may be trying to rewrite (or delete) history. As in this post by Ben Tribbett at NotLarrySabato.com which can no longer be found. Possibly because in liking Janet, Ben was forced to like Megan too?

It's a long post. Though Ben used many words to say what he meant, you'll get the drift after the first few sentences, before you get to the part about lies catching up to Megan. Here goes:

"Big news out of FCDC tonight as the Ryan McElveen wins a stunning 99 to 97 upset to score the final At-Large School Board endorsement from the Fairfax County Democrats.

What tipped the final score? This is a really interesting side story that needs to be told.

Ryan was running against Jeannie Armstrong, an extremely qualified candidate who made an excellent presentation tonight. Armstrong was endorsed by Gerry Connolly as well as outgoing At-Large memberTina Hone, both of whom are obviously popular on the committee.

So what happened?

Armstrong was also endorsed by Megan McLaughlin, the Democratic endorsed candidate in Braddock District where Armstrong lives. McLaughlin was working the Braddock District table for Armstrong which was expected to be one of Armstrong's best areas in Fairfax County. But as it turns out, Ryan's upset came from Braddock District- which voted for Ryan by 12-10 margin, providing his winning two vote margin!

Why would Braddock go against a candidate from their own district who was endorsed by their local candidate when they were expected to be Armstrong's strongest support base? That's where this story gets interesting.

In the last few weeks, people have been paying a lot closer attention to Megan and her "secret" alliance with Republican candidates who are running for the School Board. Megan is coordinating message and strategy with Louise Epstein (who is challenging Dem incumbent and SB Chairman Janie Strauss), Lolita Mancheno-Smoak who is a GOP At-Large candidate, GOP incumbent Patty Reed in Providence, and Sheila Ratman (who is challenging Dem incumbent Kathy Smith). In addition, rumors are flying around of her supporting other Republicans as well!
Democrats are actually pretty forgiving about candidates that have a friend on the other side of the aisle and don't want to get involved in every race. But they are not forgiving of a candidate like Megan who is coordinating with multiple GOP candidates to take control of the School Board while she attends Democratic events and learns the strategies that Democrats are using in other districts- only to feed that information to her Republican friends.

It appears all this lying finally caught up to Megan tonight, as the Braddock committee membership, repulsed by her activity for the GOP, backlashed against her attempting to tell them who should receive the final Democratic endorsement At-Large. Not only was Megan not able to deliver any additional votes, she cost Armstrong the decisive votes she needed with her toxic support. The opposite Midas touch.

Post meeting, when committee members were gathering across the street at PJ Skidoos there was even more discussion of Megan and her support of the GOP candidates and what should be done about it. Could she have her endorsement pulled at the September meeting or be de-listed from the sample ballot? That would be a countywide decision, one in which members in Sully and Dranesville where Megan is attempting to defeat local Democrats would get a say in. Stay tuned... "

We are staying tuned.

Posted by: BraddockVoter ()
Date: October 19, 2011 09:32PM

Great links - thank you!

In Their Own Words Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You read it, then decide who is better for
> governing our schools:
>
> http://www.fccpta.org/content/megan-mclaughlin
>
> http://www.fccpta.org/content/nell-hurley

Posted by: If Dumb could run ()
Date: October 19, 2011 10:23PM

Marie Wrote:
> The Braddock District supervisor and school board
> elections are interesting in that the supervisor
> candidates have really pushed that that they are
> teammates with their chosen school board
> candidate. They make the case that if you vote
> for John Cook that you should vote for Nell
> Hurley, and vice versa. Is this to show that the
> school board can work better with the board of
> supervisors if these "teams" are elected, or is it
> just convenient for funding and party loyalty?

If Dumb & Dumber run together on a ticket it would be Hurley & Oleszek

If want people who can actually manage their way out of a paper bag, cross ticket vote for Cook & McLaughlin

Posted by: I've Decided ()
Date: October 19, 2011 10:59PM

If Dumb could run Wrote:

> If Dumb & Dumber run together on a ticket it would
> be Hurley & Oleszek
>
> If want people who can actually manage their way
> out of a paper bag, cross ticket vote for Cook &
> McLaughlin

No way. Nell Hurley has been providing facts and advice on school issues to John Cook and others for years. She understands the processes and procedures in a way that she gets things done. That's one reason Cook asked Hurley to run with him this year. They make a great team, and we will all benefit from a school board that works better with the Board of Supervisors. When it comes to schools, both Cook and Hurley put the students first, legislate based on facts, and talk with constituents to understand all sides of an issue.

Megan McLaughlin is a good activist and her efforts with Fairgrade, SLEEP, and the other groups she works with are generally well meaning. But she has little understanding of the budget process, and her presentations, while passionate, come across as shrill (sorry if that's a slight, I couldn't think of a better word). Megan has made a name for herself in this campaign, but her next step might be to gain some experience by serving on some county committees and work groups.

Posted by: meadow18 ()
Date: October 19, 2011 11:48PM

The school board is totally dominated by democrat party group think, and it is a mess. Just because 1/2 are quitting doesn't mean the election will automatically create an efficient and functional body interested in oversight and productive policies. Every and any vote for a democrat endorsed candidate is a vote for the status quo and this is especially true of McLaughlin. She is the one tied to Oleszek as she demonstrated last Thursday, 13 October at Bonnie Brae in a shameful participation in what was supposed to have been a 30 minute presentation and q and a session with Oleszek and the audience. They share the same funding along with Sharon Bulova through Ben Tribbett and Chap Petersen's Put Braddock First PAC, which according to VPAP is spending money it does not have. And as for qualifications and education, there is no contest--Nell wins that hand down.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: October 20, 2011 09:41AM

I've Decided Wrote:
> If Dumb could run Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > If Dumb & Dumber run together on a ticket it
> would
> > be Hurley & Oleszek
> >
> > If want people who can actually manage their
> way
> > out of a paper bag, cross ticket vote for Cook
> &
> > McLaughlin
>
> No way. Nell Hurley has been providing facts and
> advice on school issues to John Cook and others
> for years. She understands the processes and
> procedures in a way that she gets things done.
> That's one reason Cook asked Hurley to run with
> him this year. They make a great team, and we
> will all benefit from a school board that works
> better with the Board of Supervisors. When it
> comes to schools, both Cook and Hurley put the
> students first, legislate based on facts, and talk
> with constituents to understand all sides of an
> issue.

Nell already knows all the answers and won't be bothered with what anybody else has to say.

> Megan McLaughlin is a good activist and her
> efforts with Fairgrade, SLEEP, and the other
> groups she works with are generally well meaning.
> But she has little understanding of the budget
> process, and her presentations, while passionate,
> come across as shrill (sorry if that's a slight, I
> couldn't think of a better word). Megan has made
> a name for herself in this campaign, but her next
> step might be to gain some experience by serving
> on some county committees and work groups.

Megan is the far more experienced and successful candidate.

Posted by: Nell wins because.... ()
Date: October 20, 2011 10:11AM

Nell claims she has more kids than Megan---good Lord, what next?

When asked about the differences between herself and her opponent, Megan McLaughlin, Hurley said, “I am simply more qualified, I have more experience, I have more kids... I think we have pretty much the same values, I think I put a little more emphasis on watching the budget.”

Love to hear Nell explain exactly what "watching the budget" means.

Posted by: Listened to it ()
Date: October 20, 2011 02:19PM

Nell wins because.... Wrote:
> Nell claims she has more kids than Megan---good
> Lord, what next?
>

Nell does have more kids, and they are better looking. But it was clearly a humorous response (as was the crack I just made; I haven't met any of their kids). She smiled, and the audience laughed. Even Megan McLaughlin smiled. It was much needed at the Annandale forum. Clearly you weren't there. But if this is the best you can do at trying to smear Nell Hurley, then so be it.

If you had said that Megan Mclaughlin needed directions to find Annandale High School school, that would also be true.

Posted by: I Accuse You ()
Date: October 20, 2011 02:32PM

Thomas More Wrote:
>
> Nell already knows all the answers and won't be
> bothered with what anybody else has to say.
>
> Megan is the far more experienced and successful
> candidate.

Of course. Despite everything that has been published to the contrary.

Then again, the big story today is that one of the founders of Fairgrade has quit and gone public with what happened to Fairgrade. Megan McLaughlin and Catherine Lorenze must decide what to write to quickly respond to it, and whose name will be on the response.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-a-political-operative-distorted-fairgrades-mission/2011/10/16/gIQASjKNvL_story.html

Posted by: KEEP HS KIDS IN CLASS TIL 4:30 ()
Date: October 21, 2011 01:45AM

From Annandale Patch:

Candidates for Braddock District supervisor also weighed in on various subjects, including transportation. Democrat Janet Oleszek spoke in favor of modifying school start times to reduce school bus traffic during the morning rush hour, with secondary schools starting at 9 a.m.

“Biologically, you guys need to be in bed (before) that hour,” she told high school students.

Incumbent Supervisor John Cook, a Republican, retorted that only the school board, not the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, has the legal authority to change school hours and suggested alternate improvements to reduce traffic congestion on Braddock Road.

http://annandale.patch.com/articles/incumbent-legislators-challengers-debate-state-local-issues

Posted by: Knighthawk ()
Date: October 21, 2011 06:45AM

I was at Wednesday night's forum at Robinson Secondary School.

I've never met Janet Oleszek until Wednesday night since I don't live in the Braddock district but I've always seen her signs plastered all over the area. She seems like a nice enough person and I had a great time talking to one of her supporters sitting next to me, but it's obvious Janet doesn't have a clue. She might have been great on the School Board back in the day, but she has no business running for any higher politcal office.

I was at the forum because it included candidates running in three different State House and State Senate districts.

What this article in the Patch fails to do is include her entire qoute.

In response to the question about traffic she brought up SLEEP and how the reason traffic is so terrible is because high school students have to start school so early and that buses are on the road during rush hour which makes traffic worse. The crowd enthusiastically applauded when she said that high school students need to start school at 9:00 but then she continued talking and totally derailed herself when she said that she would have elementary students start at 7:00 in the morning.

The applause stopped instantly and people turned at looked at each other. Someone shouted out, "how's that taking buses off the road? You're just switching the problem."

It's obvious that the person writing the article in the Patch is a lackey for the Democrats.

First they misquote Tim Hugo and assign a quote from Mike Kane to him which they have to retract and then they fail to include entire quotes from the Democrats present that night that demonstrates they have no clue what they're talking about.

I don't vote in the Braddock District but I sure as hell wouldn't vote for Janet Oleszek if given the chance.

Posted by: board observer ()
Date: October 21, 2011 08:41AM

"it's obvious Janet doesn't have a clue. She might have been great on the School Board back in the day, but she has no business running for any higher politcal office."

Anyone who saw SB meetings when she was on it knows that she didn't have a clue there either.

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: October 21, 2011 02:03PM

If Dumb could run Wrote:
>
> If Dumb & Dumber run together on a ticket it would
> be Hurley & Oleszek
>
> If want people who can actually manage their way
> out of a paper bag, cross ticket vote for Cook &
> McLaughlin

The same Nell Hurley who was a senior systems analyst for the National Security Council and Director of Plans, Programs, and Budgeting for the Defense Nuclear Agency? The same Nell Hurley with two master's degrees and university teaching experience?

Wow, McLaughlin is getting desperate...

Posted by: Ms Scarlett ()
Date: October 21, 2011 05:42PM

You've got to be kidding. For the first 25 minutes I thought she had gone back in time and was again running for the school board. But, then she got Petersen to explain the state run pension plan for teachers, so then I thought nope she thinks she's still running against Cuccinelli. Whatever, nothing that happened in her 30 minutes had anything to do with running for supervisor-period! My guess is you probably already know the woman, because no way you learned anything new since when she did talk, which was seldom, she babbled.

Posted by: Ms O'Hara ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:33PM

From the SLEEP forum:

> Phyllis Payne, Catherine Lorenze, and Megan McLaughlin are the leaders of SLEEP.
> They are working together to get Megan elected. The statement that SLEEP is not
> endorsing any candidates is a LIE. This is more than guilt by association.
> Phyllis, Catherine, and Megan have a tightly planned campaign that protects
> Megan from criticism while allowing others to slam her opponent.

This is a reason for every parent of kids who play sports after school to vote for Nell Hurley.

Posted by: corruption in FCPS ()
Date: October 24, 2011 03:07PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVETndlwtps

SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS WERE TOLD HOW TO VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: As a rule . . . ()
Date: October 24, 2011 03:15PM

The more exclamation points, the dumber the poster.

Quite true in the last post.

Posted by: I See ()
Date: October 24, 2011 03:41PM

corruption in FCPS Wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVETndlwtps
>
>
>
> SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS WERE TOLD HOW TO
> VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get it. Janet Oleszek's message is: "Vote for me for [insert any political office here] because I was once on the school board."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hWNwXRXhCM&NR=1

Prediction: John Cook and Nell Hurley by a landslide.

Posted by: priceless video from Cook ()
Date: October 24, 2011 06:42PM

Posted by: Carey Campbell is a Jerk ()
Date: October 24, 2011 11:49PM

priceless video from Cook Wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpUinrlyMEA

Yes, Carey Campbell was being a jerk. It's about time someone told him that in public. Campbell called John Cook names and then identified himself as a conservative.

Campbell's big idea on transportation is to run a train track down the median of Braddock Road from Alexandria to Centreville.

I don't believe it would be too harsh to call Carey Campell a farce, whose family is likely embarrassed for him.

Are there any Carey Campbell supporters out there? Would love to hear why you are supporting him, and what time and money you are giving to his campaign.

Posted by: Popo ()
Date: October 25, 2011 12:12AM

It's better for us all if Carey Campbell rides trains.

"CAMPBELL ","CAREY ","C","048"," 5522","HINTON ","ST","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","05/22/2004","FAIL OBEY HWY SIGN "
"CAMPBELL ","CAREY ","C","048"," 5522","HINTON ","ST","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","12/11/2004","50-54MPH/35MPH ZONE "
"CAMPBELL ","CAREY ","C","048"," 5522","HINTON ","ST","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","12/11/2004","DISREGARD TRAFFIC LIGHTS

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.