HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
school buses stuck everywhere: was it a bad decision not to close schools this morning?
Posted by: stupidgenius ()
Date: January 17, 2008 02:01PM

school buses stuck everywhere(or in my neighbor hood anyway.... causing major delays in this hilly area)

was it a bad decision not to close schools this morning?

if so, who's the genius that decided to keep school open?

last night's weather forecast predicted around 3 inches of snow....

it's already at 2.5 inches here ....

oh well...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: school buses stuck everywhere: was it a bad decision not to close schools this morning?
Posted by: yikes ()
Date: January 17, 2008 02:04PM

stupidgenius Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> school buses stuck everywhere(or in my neighbor
> hood anyway.... causing major delays in this hilly
> area)
>
> was it a bad decision not to close schools this
> morning?
>
> if so, who's the genius that decided to keep
> school open?
>
> last night's weather forecast predicted around 3
> inches of snow....
>
> it's already at 2.5 inches here ....
>
> oh well...

yeah. but FCPS does this every year. theyy apparently don't have that brain feature that stores memories. they will be sorry when a bus goes sliding of the road. hope it is not mine.

Re: school buses stuck everywhere: was it a bad decision not to close schools this morning?
Posted by: braindoctor ()
Date: January 17, 2008 02:22PM

yikes Wrote:
> stupidgenius Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > school buses stuck everywhere(or in my neighbor
> > hood anyway.... causing major delays in this
> hilly
> > area)
> >
> > was it a bad decision not to close schools
> this
> > morning?
> >
> > if so, who's the genius that decided to keep
> > school open?
> >
> > last night's weather forecast predicted around
> 3
> > inches of snow....
> >
> > it's already at 2.5 inches here ....
> >
> > oh well...
>
>
>
> yeah. but FCPS does this every year. theyy
> apparently don't have that brain feature that
> stores memories. they will be sorry when a bus
> goes sliding of the road. hope it is not mine.

Or the brain feature to solve the redistricting problems. Hope it is not mine either.

Posted by: still703 ()
Date: January 17, 2008 02:58PM

It's usually the county superintendant's call. Buses have terrible handling in bad weather, and given the size of FFX Co, you'd think they would've closed just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want to be in charge of making that call when you to judge weather conditions for schools in Springfield and as far out as Centreville. Bus routes go through neighborhoods, which are the last places to get plowed by the county.

Posted by: yup ()
Date: January 17, 2008 03:21PM

Bus routes go through neighborhoods, which are the last places to get plowed by the county.

It's the state that plows the roads, but yeah, nieghborhood streets are last on the priority list.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: January 17, 2008 03:23PM

stupidgenius Wrote:
> school buses stuck everywhere(or in my neighbor
> hood anyway.... causing major delays in this hilly
> area)
>
>

Glad I have my bread, milk and beer.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 17, 2008 03:51PM

Stonecroft rd has not been plowed, students at WEstfield HS were having difficulty jsut exiting the parking lot. County (FCPS) plows have not been to many schools, FCPS plowing contractors are already swamped with work and have not been able to plow all contracted schools.

For those on the FCPS intranet, you can check the status of your school's plowing if you are too lazy to look out the window.

Posted by: ICU RN ()
Date: January 17, 2008 04:50PM

Who calls for schools to be closed early?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 17, 2008 04:52PM

Stu. He's also going to move all westfields students to South Lakes starting tomorrow - under the guise of a snow closure.

Get your spraypaint cans and red or blue bandanas ready.

Posted by: Be real ()
Date: January 17, 2008 06:34PM

In fairness to the schools the weather idiots said the snow wouldnt start until the afternoon and it would quickly turn to rain, no big deal. I got to work in Springfield around 8 and it had started.

Who can tell if or when snow will start and how much if any will stick. The schools have to count on the equally incompetent road crews to clear the snow. I dont think anyone can predict what to do.

On that note is Doug Hill ever right? That guy seems to be wrong 99% of the time. Then when he gets on tv he just laughs about how he was wrong again. I only listen to his predictions because it follows the traffic report on WTOP which is usually very good. Imagine making a six figure salary to be wrong so much of the time.

Posted by: bus driver ()
Date: January 17, 2008 08:31PM

Actually, FCPS buses are very good in the snow. Especially the rear engine ones, which the vast majority are. They weigh 33,000 pounds and have all the mechanicals directly over the rear (drive) wheels. I've only gotten stuck a few times in many years of driving those things.

They couldn't have closed schools this morning before a flake fell because if nothing had happened the public would have went ballistic. Closing schools is a TOUGH call...you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I sure wouldn't that job.

To make matters worse, FCPS admin will never forget that morning about 4-5 years ago. Rain was falling and it was near freezing and temps were supposed to rise. They opened schools on time, temps suddenly dropped and almost 40 buses wrecked in less than an hour! That would make anybody gun shy.

Posted by: DirtDigler ()
Date: January 18, 2008 09:55AM

First off, how about people learn how to drive in the snow? If I can drive my Volkswagen home 30 minutes in a measly 3 inches of snow (over half of which is slush) then why can't a 4 ton bus with 8 tires make it through?

Secondly, when are the weather reports ever accurate around here? Never.

Finally, I moved here from NY 4yrs ago and why does everyone panic when it starts snowing?!? It's hilarious, I was driving home last night talking on the phone with a friend from NY telling him about it, I look over and this lady is driving with here damn hazard lights on gripping the steering wheel like it was a 14 inch cock. And I just heard schools had a 2 hour delay this morning!?! For what? Wet roads? Good grief.

Posted by: I hate NY ()
Date: January 18, 2008 10:28AM

DirtDigler Wrote:
> First off, how about people learn how to drive in
> the snow? If I can drive my Volkswagen home 30
> minutes in a measly 3 inches of snow (over half of
> which is slush) then why can't a 4 ton bus with 8
> tires make it through?
>
> Secondly, when are the weather reports ever
> accurate around here? Never.
>
> Finally, I moved here from NY 4yrs ago and why
> does everyone panic when it starts snowing?!? It's
> hilarious, I was driving home last night talking
> on the phone with a friend from NY telling him
> about it, I look over and this lady is driving
> with here damn hazard lights on gripping the
> steering wheel like it was a 14 inch cock. And I
> just heard schools had a 2 hour delay this
> morning!?! For what? Wet roads? Good grief.

Blah, blah, New York is great, blah, blah, blah...

Get over yourself, Ace.

Better yet, GO BACK TO NEW YORK! I hear from many New Yorkers things are better up there.

Posted by: Have a nice trip ()
Date: January 18, 2008 10:57AM

DirtDigler Wrote:
> First off, how about people learn how to drive in
> the snow? If I can drive my Volkswagen home 30
> minutes in a measly 3 inches of snow (over half of
> which is slush) then why can't a 4 ton bus with 8
> tires make it through?
>
> Secondly, when are the weather reports ever
> accurate around here? Never.
>
> Finally, I moved here from NY 4yrs ago and why
> does everyone panic when it starts snowing?!? It's
> hilarious, I was driving home last night talking
> on the phone with a friend from NY telling him
> about it, I look over and this lady is driving
> with here damn hazard lights on gripping the
> steering wheel like it was a 14 inch cock. And I
> just heard schools had a 2 hour delay this
> morning!?! For what? Wet roads? Good grief.

Here you go, in case you forgot. Have a nice trip.

Drive: 244 mi – about 4 hours 22 mins
up to 5 hours 40 mins in traffic
244 mi – about 4 hours 22 mins, up to 5 hours 40 mins in traffic

1. Head west on Armstrong St toward Chain Bridge Rd/VA-123 354 ft
2. Turn right at Chain Bridge Rd/VA-123 1.6 mi 7 mins
3. Merge onto I-66 E via the ramp to Washington 4.9 mi 6 mins
4. Take exit 64B to merge onto Capital Beltway/I-495 N toward Baltimore
Entering Maryland 21.5 mi 25 mins
5. Take exit 27 to merge onto I-95 N toward Baltimore
Partial toll road Entering Delaware 93.9 mi 1 hour 34 mins
6. Take the I-295 exit toward New Jersey Turnpike/Del Memorial Bridge/NJ-NY 0.2 mi
7. Keep left at the fork to continue toward I-295 N and merge onto I-295 N
Entering New Jersey 6.2 mi 7 mins
8. Continue on New Jersey Turnpike N Toll road 72.9 mi 1 hour 12 mins
9. Slight left at I-95 N/New Jersey Tpke Cars Only Ln (signs for Cars Only)
Toll road 31.4 mi 31 mins
10. Take exit 14 to merge onto I-78 E/New Jersey Tpke Ext E toward Holland Tunnel Toll road 8.4 mi 11 mins
11. Continue on 12th St Partial toll road 0.3 mi 2 mins
12. Continue on Holland Tunnel Entering New York 2.0 mi 3 mins

Date: January 18, 2008 11:50AM

Hey I hate NY, get your head out of your ass and stop driving 10mph when the ground is wet you pussy. If you 2 are females I'll give you a pass, if not... take the skirt off. It's fuckn' snow, not falling lava.

Posted by: still703 ()
Date: January 18, 2008 12:01PM

bus driver Wrote:
> Actually, FCPS buses are very good in the snow.
> Especially the rear engine ones, which the vast
> majority are. They weigh 33,000 pounds and have
> all the mechanicals directly over the rear (drive)
> wheels. I've only gotten stuck a few times in
> many years of driving those things.

I have seen school buses sliding in my neighborhood before. I've also been behind a school bus that was unable to go up a hill- even with all the supposed weight on its drive tires. It pulled off to the side of the road, and as I passed in my MR2. It doesn't matter if the drive wheels are weighed down by the engine. That won't give you traction when school bus tires are bald or have little to no tread left! The only reason my mid-engine RWD sports car made it up the hill was that I had snow tires on. If the weather gets cold enough, the rubber compound in most all-season tires can become hard and lose most of its grip. Buses can become a 33,000lbs sled if the drivers aren't careful!

Date: January 18, 2008 12:35PM

DirtDigler Wrote:
> Hey I hate NY, get your head out of your ass and
> stop driving 10mph when the ground is wet you
> pussy. If you 2 are females I'll give you a pass,
> if not... take the skirt off. It's fuckn' snow,
> not falling lava.

Why take advice from any NYer on driving? They are the worst in good conditions, so why would I listen to them when it comes to driving in less than ideal conditions. Look at the numbers. Over 1/3 of NY drivers couldn't even pass a test covering traffic laws and safe driving habits. Those are the facts. Now shut up and learn how to drive.

Date: January 18, 2008 01:24PM

Have a nice trip Wrote:
> DirtDigler Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey I hate NY, get your head out of your ass
> and
> > stop driving 10mph when the ground is wet you
> > pussy. If you 2 are females I'll give you a
> pass,
> > if not... take the skirt off. It's fuckn' snow,
> > not falling lava.
>
>
> Why take advice from any NYer on driving? They
> are the worst in good conditions, so why would I
> listen to them when it comes to driving in less
> than ideal conditions. Look at the numbers. Over
> 1/3 of NY drivers couldn't even pass a test
> covering traffic laws and safe driving habits.
> Those are the facts. Now shut up and learn how to
> drive.

Dude... so you're going to sit here and tell me the majority of VA/DC'ers drive better than they do in NY?!? Tell me why when I'm on 495 do I have to weave in and out of traffic to pass people? Do you know why? Because diksmacks like you have no idea that the left lane is for passing, even if I shine my brights for you to get the fuk outta the way, you continue to pick your nose and clog up the passing lanes... clueless. It's funny that once you cross the Deleware memorial bridge you'll notice people start obeying that rule. Coincidence? Doubt it. I won't even bring up how people drive in the snow... or rain for that matter around here. You make it seem like the rain is made of motor oil. In NY, we drive fast and in control... here they drive fast and out of control.

About me shutting up, shut me up. If you've seen in person the guy you're telling to shut up me I doubt you'd say sh*t. Your facts are about as soft as you. blow me.

Date: January 18, 2008 01:41PM

DirtDigler Wrote:
> Dude... so you're going to sit here and tell me
> the majority of VA/DC'ers drive better than they
> do in NY?!? Tell me why when I'm on 495 do I have
> to weave in and out of traffic to pass people? Do
> you know why? Because diksmacks like you have no
> idea that the left lane is for passing, even if I
> shine my brights for you to get the fuk outta the
> way, you continue to pick your nose and clog up
> the passing lanes... clueless. It's funny that
> once you cross the Deleware memorial bridge you'll
> notice people start obeying that rule.
> Coincidence? Doubt it. I won't even bring up how
> people drive in the snow... or rain for that
> matter around here. You make it seem like the rain
> is made of motor oil. In NY, we drive fast and in
> control... here they drive fast and out of
> control.
>
> About me shutting up, shut me up. If you've seen
> in person the guy you're telling to shut up me I
> doubt you'd say sh*t. Your facts are about as soft
> as you. blow me.

Yes, I am going to sit here and tell you the facts. The fact is that:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- One out of six drivers on the road today would not pass a written driver's license test if they were given one today, according to a national survey conducted by GMAC Insurance.

The survey asked questions from actual state Department of Motor Vehicle tests. Questions covered both traffic laws and safe driving habits.

The average score nationwide was 77.1 (out of 100). Respondents from New York state had the lowest average score, answering just 71 percent of the questions correctly. New Yorkers also had the highest failure rate, with 36 percent failing to earn what would be considered a passing score on the test.

Now, I understand that written driving tests do not always translate into actual safe driving skills. So, if you were tell me that this statistic exists because NYers are illiterates, I would believe that as well.

By your own admission, you drive like a typical NY asshole. There is no need to weave in and out of traffic. The left lane consistenly goes at least 75 mph on the beltway during non rush hour times. Any speed beyond 80 is horrifically unsafe for a road with that much volume. Extreme late night and early morning hours might be an exception. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe people slow down during poor weather to overcompensate for overly agressive dipshits such as yourself?

As for your chest pounding, overcompensating for your small pecker comments about seeing you in person and being afraid from you, I am fairly confident you present no threat to me and would gladly tell you all of the above to your face. However, I have no desire to blow you, I am sure a big strapping man such as you can find plenty of men light in the loafers to do that to you.

Now get your ass back to NY where you belong.

Date: January 18, 2008 02:23PM

DirtDigler Wrote:
Tell me why when I'm on 495 do I have
> to weave in and out of traffic to pass people?

Umm, because you are driving too fast?

> "I shine my brights for you to get the fuk outta the
> way"

You sound like quite an aggressive driver. You should take some anger management clasees.

"In NY, we drive fast and in
> control..."

Yep, everything is better in New York as we've discussed ad nauseum on this forum before. Please answer this question:

Why are you here if all you do is complain?

> About me shutting up, shut me up. If you've seen
> in person the guy you're telling to shut up me I
> doubt you'd say sh*t. Your facts are about as soft
> as you. blow me.

Yep, you really should seek some professional help. People who grandstand about how "tough" they are on the Internet are usually quite the opposite. Either that or you are suffering from 'roid rage. You do sound like the epitome of the rude and arrogant New Yorker, however. It's no wonder citizens from other nations view our population as unfavorably as they do with people like you leading the way in the "Big Apple."

Date: January 18, 2008 03:26PM

As you 2 clearly have found each other to create an alliance, it's pretty obvious you have something against NY'ers... with your little stereotypical stabs. To act like I'm being the tough guy here may be true but what do you expect when you e-thug a comment like 'now go back to NY' or 'shut up' at the end of your magazine facts... just goes to show you that you're stooping a level below than how you're trying to perceive yourself here. You're the one blowing gaskets here, not me. I'm just the one responding to your 1) crap facts and 2) your little smart azz one liners at the end.

And for me driving too fast in the left lane... so what if I'm driving 100, if you're doing 55-65 in the left lane and someone wants to go faster, get the f outta their way. Does that bother you that someone likes to drive faster? Have you ever driven in NY/NJ dude? Do they scare you? Examine it next time, watch how slower traffic stays right and watch how sh*t moves along. All I'm saying is the discipline of drivers here is much worse. Get off your podium.

Date: January 18, 2008 03:33PM

DirtDigler Wrote:
> As you 2 clearly have found each other to create
> an alliance, it's pretty obvious you have
> something against NY'ers... with your little
> stereotypical stabs. To act like I'm being the
> tough guy here may be true but what do you expect
> when you e-thug a comment like 'now go back to NY'
> or 'shut up' at the end of your magazine facts...
> just goes to show you that you're stooping a level
> below than how you're trying to perceive yourself
> here. You're the one blowing gaskets here, not
> me. I'm just the one responding to your 1) crap
> facts and 2) your little smart azz one liners at
> the end.
>
> And for me driving too fast in the left lane... so
> what if I'm driving 100, if you're doing 55-65 in
> the left lane and someone wants to go faster, get
> the f outta their way. Does that bother you that
> someone likes to drive faster? Have you ever
> driven in NY/NJ dude? Do they scare you? Examine
> it next time, watch how slower traffic stays right
> and watch how sh*t moves along. All I'm saying is
> the discipline of drivers here is much worse. Get
> off your podium.

Oh, now your a victim. Poor baby. Kind of whiney for a big tough NYer, aren't you? So what if you are driving a 100 mph? Do you even hear yourself? That is patently unsafe. If I am doing 75 mph in a 55, I am not getting over for some maniac going 100. Who knows what his next move is? Keep going 100 mph and you will kill someone.

DirtDigler must be the gay version of Dirk Diggler.

Date: January 18, 2008 04:07PM

Sorry, but that one-liner sucked. So what are you the 495 enforcer now? Here do this, cop that 'I'm not moving over for someone going 100' attitude next time it happens... please. I hope they do kill their self and run your ghey ass into oncoming traffic.

I'm not the victim, but if you want to find out who the victim is then meet me at Hard Times tonight at 11 and I'll toss your little ass down the metro stairs.

Date: January 18, 2008 04:10PM

DirtDigler Wrote:
> I'm not the victim, but if you want to find out
> who the victim is then meet me at Hard Times
> tonight at 11 and I'll toss your little ass down
> the metro stairs.

Which one, tough guy?

Date: January 18, 2008 05:35PM

Dirt Digler,

Take a look at just about every post you make on this board. In most of them you feel the need to mention how superior things are in New York.

You actually sound quite young, I'm guessing late teens or early twenties, so I'll try and make this so you can relate.

In my lifetime I have had the opportunity to travel extensively. In fact, I have been to almost every US state.

New Yorkers are a proud bunch. There is nothing wrong with that. However, the part most people dislike is their over the top and arrogant attitudes, And when I say arrogant, I mean New Yorkers always offer up their opinions - even if they aren't solicited - on how much better things would be if they were done as they are in New York, Kind of like you constantly remind us of on this website.

Everything, and I mean everything, must be better in New York from what I hear. I've heard it all. The pizza is better. The bagels are better. The subway is better. The drivers are better. The sports teams are better. The roads are better. You name it, it's better in New York.

New Yorkers are always very quick to chime in on New York's greatness in their loud and obnoxious accents. The only other people who even approach their arrogance are Bostonians, but that's another story.

In my personal experience, I've never heard anyone boast so loudly about any other state in the union, just New York, by New Yorkers. I've never heard people from Florida have to constantly remind me how great things are in that state while they bash mine. The same goes for California, Arizona, Illinois, Hawaii, you name it...the list goes on and on.

One thing I can say for certain is this: Each and every time a loud and obnoxious New Yorker has been heard explaining how things are done in New York or how they are better in New York, that conversation has NEVER, not once, taken place in New York! You see, the New Yorkers who love the place so much, apparently leave the place in droves to other locales in this nation. Why is that? If things are so great in New York, why do New Yorkers continually leave?

So now, I'll ask you again. This time please answer. If New York is such a fantastic place, why do you subject yourself to such an inferior place as Virginia? Why are you here? Why do you continue to stay here when Utopia is such a short drive up I-95? It seems to me all of us would be much, much happier if you went back. You wouldn't have to be subject to inferior, well, inferior EVERYTHING. And the rest of the country wouldn't have to hear you and other New Yorkers boast so much. We wouldn't have to hear your obnoxious and loud voices. We wouldn't be subjected to your reckless driving and your poor attitudes.
Attachments:
newyorksubway.jpg
nyctaxi.jpg
guido-tutorial.jpg

Posted by: Tricki ()
Date: January 18, 2008 09:44PM

Well even if you are upset that school was not called off, whatever you do - do not callor email Dean tisdadt's wife and complain about it. I was watching the local news and I heard she got mean calls and mean emails about this. She was really upset. I would be too. If you really hate going to school in the bad weather, then just stay home.

Posted by: idiots ()
Date: January 19, 2008 04:12PM

I called Jack Dale's office at 11. I asked if they were going to close early. The secretary said no. I asked how they decided this. She indicated that they spoke to the weather people and that is how they made their decision. My response was to point out the reliability record of the weather forecasters..........about 10% accurate and asked if ANYONE at all had gone out to drive the actual roads and experience the poor conditions. Of course NO ONE had actually driven the roads to make the determination. These people are complete and utter idiots and nothing less than irresponsible in their decision making. First we have the poor decisions for the boundary decisions and now this. Administration has to remember that they are responsible for children. Behaving like politicians and cubby sitters results in putting our children at risk.

Date: January 19, 2008 05:48PM

idiots Wrote:
> I called Jack Dale's office at 11. I asked if
> they were going to close early. The secretary
> said no. I asked how they decided this. She
> indicated that they spoke to the weather people
> and that is how they made their decision. My
> response was to point out the reliability record
> of the weather forecasters..........about 10%
> accurate and asked if ANYONE at all had gone out
> to drive the actual roads and experience the poor
> conditions. Of course NO ONE had actually driven
> the roads to make the determination. These people
> are complete and utter idiots and nothing less
> than irresponsible in their decision making.
> First we have the poor decisions for the boundary
> decisions and now this. Administration has to
> remember that they are responsible for children.
> Behaving like politicians and cubby sitters
> results in putting our children at risk.

You're upset about re-districting, therefore nothing FCPS admin does will please you.

The ultimate decision about these kind of things is YOURS. Keep 'em home...or go get 'em when YOU think their school day should end.

Posted by: idiots ()
Date: January 19, 2008 11:01PM

bottom line...........irresponsible decision making.

Date: January 20, 2008 01:04AM

idiots Wrote:
> bottom line...........irresponsible decision
> making.

Easy to say...why don't you announce your candidacy for the school board?

Or dust off your doctorate and go for Jack Dale's job...pays pretty good. Around a quarter mil and lots of perks.

Then you would see the futility of trying to please all of the tens of thousands of neurotic (and LAZY) parents, all at the same time.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.