HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Man who killed woman not guilty due to insanity - Jose F. Argueta will most likely be committed to a psychiatric hospital.
Posted by: McGruff ()
Date: October 02, 2011 12:17PM

Man who killed woman not guilty due to insanity
By Justin Jouvenal
Posted at 06:13 PM ET, 09/29/2011
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/man-who-killed-woman-not-guilty-due-to-insanity/2011/09/29/gIQAz8y77K_blog.html

A Fairfax County jury has found a man not guilty by reason of insanity in the 2009 killing of a Bailey’s Crossroads woman and the stabbing of a 2-year-old girl.

Jose F. Argueta, 44, of no fixed address, was facing first-degree murder and malicious wounding charges after he stabbed Maria del Carmen Mejia, 68, multiple times in the abdomen and slashed the girl she was holding in her arms. The attack occurred inside Mejia’s apartment in the 3400 block of Glen Carlyn Drive on August 25, 2009.

Prosecutors had argued that Argueta, while mentally ill, was upset that his girlfriend had recently left him for another man and took out his frustration on Mejia, who was his ex-landlord. Argueta entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.

The trial was unusual since mental health experts tapped by both the prosecution and the defense found Argueta was legally insane at the time of the crime. Dr. Kenneth Showalter, who evaluated Argueta for the state, testified Argueta believed he had to kill Mejia to remove a curse placed on him by his ex-wife.

“He believed his ex-girlfriend had become a witch and joined up with a warlock,” Showalter testified. “He believed he had rats and cockroaches inside his body.”

The jury deliberated for two-and-a-half days before returning the verdict.

Argueta will now be evaluated and most likely committed to a psychiatric hospital.

“I’m glad that the jury saw he was not sane at the time of offense,” said Karin Kissiah, Argueta’s attorney. “For someone who was mentally ill, he will now get treatment.”

The Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney did not return a call for comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original release by Fairfax County...

UPDATE: Suspect Charged with Homicide
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2009/083109upd3stab.htm

Fairfax County Police Department
Public Information Office
4100 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, Va. 22030
703-246-2253. TTY 703-204-2264. Fax 703-246-4253
FCPD-PIO@fairfaxcounty.gov
www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police
News Release: 09/237/1786/tjw(4)
August 31, 2009

UPDATE: Suspect Charged with Homicide
Detectives obtained a homicide warrant on Saturday, August 29 and served it on Jose Argueta who remains in the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.

UPDATE: Stabbing Victim Dies
Maria del Carmen Mejia, of 3409 Glen Carlyn Drive #8 in Falls Church, died on Friday, August 28 and was pronounced dead at 1:51 p.m. She was the adult victim of a stabbing that occurred on Tuesday, August 25. The child victim has been released from the hospital.

UPDATE: Suspect Charged with Malicious Wounding
The suspect who allegedly stabbed a woman and child yesterday was charged with malicious wounding. He was inside an apartment in the 3400 block of Glen Carlyn Drive around 2:22 p.m. when he reportedly displayed a knife and stabbed a 68-year-old woman and a 2-year-old girl. A 40-year-old man upstairs heard the commotion and came down to help. He confronted the suspect and they struggled briefly.

The suspect fled the apartment and ran to an adjacent building where he knocked loudly on an apartment door. A 55-year-old man answered the door and the suspect, still holding the knife, reportedly forced his way into the apartment. The victim disarmed and subdued the suspect until police arrived. Both male victims sustained minor, superficial injuries during their struggle with the suspect and were treated at the scene.

Jose Francisco Argueta, 42, of no fixed address, was arrested and transported to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center. He was charged with two counts of malicious wounding. The woman and child victims were transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital, initially in life-threatening condition. They now appear to be in serious, but stable condition. Additional charges are pending.

Jose Argueta

Woman and Child Stabbed
Suspect Arrested on Scene

Mason Police District – Police responded to an apartment in the 3400 block of Glen Carlyn Drive on Tuesday, August 25, shortly after 2 p.m., for the report of a stabbing. Officers located two female victims; an adult and a child, with apparent stabs wounds. Both of the victims were transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital and are reported to be in non life-threatening condition.
An adult male suspect was located and taken into custody in a nearby apartment building. He was transported to a local hospital and treated for injuries sustained during the incident.

Criminal Investigation Bureau detectives and Crime Scene technicians are on the scene.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Solvers by phone at 1-866-411-TIPS/8477, e-mail at www.fairfaxcrimesolvers.org or text “TIP187” plus your message to CRIMES/274637 or call Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.

###

To request this information in an alternate format, call the Public Information Office at 703.246.2253. TTY 703-204-2264
Attachments:
082609josearguetamalwound.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Man who killed woman not guilty due to insanity - Jose F. Argueta will most likely be committed to a psychiatric hospital.
Posted by: One of many nieces ()
Date: March 20, 2012 10:59AM

This is my aunt he killed and got away with murder
He has no idea the pain he caused our family
There is just no excuse oureg system is a mess there is no justice .

Re: Man who killed woman not guilty due to insanity - Jose F. Argueta will most likely be committed to a psychiatric hospital.
Posted by: Why do we keep insane murderers? ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:00PM

I never understood why being "insane" means you aren't punished.

Go ahead and give him the death penalty, insane or not. Is there any hope that an insane murderer will be rehabilitated? Do we even care? Just get rid of them.

Posted by: white gringa here ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:02PM

if he had killed a yuppie whore than he'd get the death penalty.

Posted by: dr ozputz ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:12PM

Who is sane who kills another human except in self defense.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:20PM

Why do we keep insane murderers? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never understood why being "insane" means you
> aren't punished.

To convict a person of certain charges, murder among them, you need to find the person had a specific intent, and being insane generally means that you are not capable of forming that intent.

> Go ahead and give him the death penalty, insane or
> not. Is there any hope that an insane murderer
> will be rehabilitated? Do we even care? Just get
> rid of them.

No doubt you believe that what is punished is the act, not the actor, and just because the actor is different than a normal person does not make the act itself any less serious. This is certainly a legitmate point of view, although it is one that I and many others do not agree with.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:51PM

Typical of beaners. If they aren't raping women, they're knifing them.
Welcome to Third World, VA.

Posted by: old days ()
Date: March 20, 2012 02:28PM

The U S used to have an immigration policy where you had to have a needed skill and someone to sponsor you for entry. Now it is the opposite. If you are a criminal and need welfare welcome to the U S.

Posted by: Jaxs ()
Date: May 15, 2013 10:19AM

God will serve justice. This animal is a murder. Our justice system serves no justice.

Posted by: Neighborhood Watch ()
Date: May 15, 2013 03:53PM

Jaxs Wrote:
> God will serve justice. This animal is a murder.
> Our justice system serves no justice.

Hmmmm....Looks like he's still the model citizen...

Fairfax county arrest record
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/crime/arrest.txt

ARGUETA JOSE ARNULFO 49 05/05/2013 5-1-1 DRUNK IN PUBLIC OR PROFANE

Posted by: M. ()
Date: March 31, 2015 04:26PM

He pled NOT guilty because of his mental state. Half of you don't know what this man was going through at the time. God will serve justice. He is NOT an animal but another human. You only know what the articles say.

Posted by: 9p7NW ()
Date: March 31, 2015 08:51PM

“He believed his ex-girlfriend had become a witch and joined up with a warlock,” Showalter testified. “He believed he had rats and cockroaches inside his body.”

-------------------------------
the original law in England (although older law had it's reasonings before that)

was that the insane could be excused from torts (possibly even one resulting in death) if

1) it was obvious to the judge they had lost their ability to reason

2) the accused did not benefit from the crime

that is: the "original law" allowing leniency applies only to torts broken that the accused did not benefit from (had no motive for)

killing one's x-landlord their is a motive for: revenge for being kicked out ?

Posted by: 77ycb ()
Date: March 31, 2015 08:52PM

women are evil

Posted by: F6HyD ()
Date: March 31, 2015 09:00PM

obviously if that is true , and many whites (non-hispanics) have had mental issues lately - since oh around 1998

then it is a case of some kind of poisoning

i do think there is poisoning happening in fx co va - and that the medical people must know all the suspiciously new mental episodes requiring

a) no medical investigation

b) immediate prescription of euro psych pills

something is wrong.

rats in the belly huh ?

well after i was last abducted by fx co i have a disease i cannot shake

1) family food torturing me

2) a virutal prison harasses if i leave "my area - which isn't mine" - i can't get excercise. i'd be harassed by family or if i left: arrested by fx co gov for who knows what. if i excercise on the floor: quite literall a family member will put a foot on my throat and gloat at their temporary power

i'm truly sick of the fucking fairfax democrats. but if i was FORCED to leave though i might like it.

i would always be thinking of home - the land i was attacked on with no war declared by people who were given a great ammount of trust to benefit and guilde the public : not build mc'mansions and stalk them

-------------------
time capsul

way back in the 80's FED workers in annandale route 1 near base were suing the gov, saying they were ill and that old mustard gas contianers were found in that area from WWII

Posted by: MYKPc ()
Date: March 31, 2015 09:02PM

i'm unsure if he benefitted from the crime

however - there must be more evidence of poisoning than a defense lawyer's say so

or a county medical system who thrives on false prescription billed to the taxpayer

"kill my landlord, kill my landlord"

(that was a poem on tv, some from black comedy)

Posted by: granddaughter ()
Date: September 13, 2017 10:27PM

Callling him insane is just an excuse and those people saying he shouldn't be puncished are dumb as fuck. My grandma didn't deserve this. rip my beloved queen <3

Posted by: Thom Devoltes 4pclh ()
Date: September 14, 2017 07:56AM

Awwwww another spic landlady bites the dust....
Prob took a two bedroom townhouse and discounted the monthly rent to her current illegal tenants, that know drywall, to build an additional 7 bedrooms for rent. Your room only 2x5 ? $300/month on Craigslist!
Good riddance

Posted by: Judge Judy ()
Date: September 14, 2017 05:26PM

granddaughter Wrote:
> Callling him insane is just an excuse and those
> people saying he shouldn't be puncished are dumb
> as fuck. My grandma didn't deserve this. rip my
> beloved queen <3

If you voted democrat, you voted to go soft on violent criminals and have no one to blame but yourself.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.