HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Which schools pyramids in FFX county are "desirable"?
Posted by: thx ()
Date: April 23, 2008 11:52PM

Thanks for the stats- which top school seems to be lacking and which top school still superb?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: IB Reassessing My Conclusions ()
Date: April 24, 2008 11:07AM

thx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the stats- which top school seems to be
> lacking and which top school still superb?

TJ is in a class by itself and I assume you are excluding it from your question.

Excluding TJ, over the past decade the "top schools" in the county, as measured by the performance of their students on SATs, have been Langley, McLean, Woodson, Oakton, Madison, and Lake Braddock.

The test scores of both the "top schools" and county high schools generally were down in 2007 relative to prior years. In announcing the results, FCPS didn't mention this; instead, it focused on four IB schools whose scores had improved over last year.

Of the schools in the "top group," Langley continues to outperform the others, while Madison and Oakton have slipped considerably in recent years.

Of the 25 high schools in the county, the SAT scores of all but five are above the national average. The one horror story is Hayfield, where the average SAT score, after the recent RD of many of its students to South County, is now below 1000.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: April 24, 2008 12:28PM

The test scores seem to be bearing out my initial hunch, namely that folks getting RD'd to Marshall will not cause nearly as much of a ruckus as Madison/Oakton folks getting RD'd to South Lakes.

I suspect the ESOL and FRM issues would be more of an issue at the elementary school level. My wife went to one high-ESOL school for K-2, transferred to a low-ESOL school for 3rd grade, and she was about a year behind in some subjects, two years behind in others. Now, the administration/teachers at her K-2 school may have just blew chunks. But I'll admit that was one factor we looked at when looking for a place to live (Vienna-Thoreau-Madison, if you want to know.)

On the other hand, so much can change between now and then. Madison may well end up having the stigma of South Lakes by 2025 and Stuart, Annandale, and Falls Church may improve in an era of $7 gas due to their proximity to DC.

Posted by: MR ()
Date: April 24, 2008 10:46PM

For what I read and hear- Madison and Oakton are getting sketchy reviews from parents- mostly that if you're a jock or high achiever- you're taken care of- otherwise, thrown to the side. I still don't know which one I have but either way- isn't there enough pressure already nowadays on kids? I'm just not sure what HS to send my kid to (in 10 years) that will be safe and good..

Posted by: Marshall Booster ()
Date: April 25, 2008 01:43PM

MR Wrote:
> For what I read and hear- Madison and Oakton are
> getting sketchy reviews from parents- mostly that
> if you're a jock or high achiever- you're taken
> care of- otherwise, thrown to the side. I still
> don't know which one I have but either way- isn't
> there enough pressure already nowadays on kids?
> I'm just not sure what HS to send my kid to (in 10
> years) that will be safe and good..

MR - So many things can change in 10 years - why not focus on a good elementary school for now and an area that is convenient to work, doctors, shopping, etc.?

If you and your spouse both work in Fairfax, I would recommend neighborhoods near WT Woodson. It has a long history as a strong school, a renovation is about to be completed this year, it is not a mega-school on the scale of Robinson or Westfield, and the current boundaries (with the possible exception of an attendance island that is within the Robinson zone) seem unlikely to be revised any time soon.

Both Madison and Oakton are fine schools as well. If you are trying to plan for 10 years ahead, I would avoid Oakton, however, if only because the attendance area for Oakton could be very fluid. Oakton and Madison are located very close to one another, and most of the current attendance zone for Oakton actually lies well to the west of the school. Depending on what happens, some of those areas could be rezoned to any number of neighboring high schools. Some parents might be fine with that, but it seems that you are looking for as much certainty as possible.

Good luck.

Posted by: MR ()
Date: April 27, 2008 08:53PM

Thanks Marshall Booster.. We are trying to plan for 10 years though since we actually do plan on staying here for family reasons etc. - I went to MS and HS in this area. I was trying to focus on the ES - maybe trying for one that is a GT center in the event one of our kids qualifies (I know it's early- but hey- we can plan just in case) so that they go to their local ES.

The HS worries us more since if we got into a zone that got into a school that we frankly were avoiding (Lee, South Lakes) it would be undesirable to move after our kids were established. I moved around a lot and disliked having to rebuild my social network. It also would impact real estate values.

I appreciate your input- we have the luxury of time since both kids are so young and moving them after kindergarten isn't the end of the world. As for where we work, that can change - we tend to avoid jobs in DC itself- commuting to MD isn't that big of a deal. I think we'll probably remain with jobs in the Tysons to Herndon area.

Posted by: obie ()
Date: May 01, 2008 11:55PM

Bumping up since recent thread asked similar things

Posted by: SHaZbOt ()
Date: May 02, 2008 12:57AM

Langley district is your safest bet, go there if you can afford it.

Posted by: Seely ()
Date: May 03, 2008 09:17PM

Langley school district comes at a cost- there are other places that are also really good- Mclean, oakton, madison, just keep in mind there is a premium

Posted by: paddy ()
Date: May 04, 2008 03:05AM

Virginia Run, Stone, Westfield

Posted by: LLL ()
Date: May 05, 2008 10:44PM

How about a GT magnet or center ES school to a decent HS?

Posted by: Location AND schools ()
Date: May 06, 2008 08:48AM

LLL Wrote:
> How about a GT magnet or center ES school to a
> decent HS?

Look outside the beltway between 236 and Braddock Road.

Houses much less expensive than Langley. The commute to most locations is also better. Easy access to the beltway, 395, and 66. Close to GMU and Fairfax City. Halfway between Dulles and Reagan National. Close to VRE.

Schools: Canterbury Woods (GT) to Frost (GT) to Woodson (soon to finish renovation; repeatedly listed in this thread as one of the top five high schools.).

Make sure you get on the western side of Canterbury Woods so there is no danger of being redistricted into Annandale to the east.

Posted by: Oak Hill ()
Date: May 12, 2008 02:02PM

Does anyone have experience with Oak Hill Elmentary's GT center program?

Posted by: PHD in hand ()
Date: May 12, 2008 03:28PM

Greenbriar West > Rocky Run > Chantilly

look into the poplar tree neighbor hood or fair lakes.

GBW is a GT center

Posted by: careful ()
Date: May 13, 2008 07:21PM

PHD in hand Wrote:
> Greenbriar West > Rocky Run > Chantilly
>
> look into the poplar tree neighbor hood or fair
> lakes.
>
> GBW is a GT center

Be careful, Fair lakes neighbhorhood ends up going to Fairfax HS not Chantilly

Posted by: old parent ()
Date: May 19, 2008 04:14PM

No more Vienna students Wrote:
> will be sent to Marshall. Stu Gibson doesn't want
> to go through another boundary change in his
> district. Madison parents would go NUTS. Not to
> worry, it's not going to happen.

Posted by: Fred Flintstone ()
Date: May 19, 2008 04:16PM

WT Woodson is a very good school as are all the feeder schools. All should avoid Luther Jackson and South Lakes.

Posted by: ok fred ()
Date: May 19, 2008 11:13PM

So what combos (more than one) are good woodson feeders? how about good gt ones just in case one kiddo makes it?

many thanks

Posted by: SHaZbOt ()
Date: May 21, 2008 10:23PM

waples mill elementary---> franklin middle-----> Oakton HIgh
All have good gt programs and oakton has ample AP classes. the zone that goes through this filter is geographically small and expensive. But you could do a pupil placement or something and get your kid to go to any school if they are gt material i believe. sorry if this is redundant compared to what other people have said

Posted by: dack ()
Date: May 22, 2008 10:46AM

SHaZbOt Wrote:
> waples mill elementary---> franklin middle----->
> Oakton HIgh
> All have good gt programs and oakton has ample AP
> classes. the zone that goes through this filter is
> geographically small and expensive. But you could
> do a pupil placement or something and get your kid
> to go to any school if they are gt material i
> believe. sorry if this is redundant compared to
> what other people have said

I thought waples mill didn't have a gt program? That's the one thing making this combo less attractive- ideally, if our kids are in gt, they would be w/ their neighborhood friends..

Posted by: Jackie-O ()
Date: May 23, 2008 01:36PM

Willow Springs for a GT program.

Check out the demographics there too.

Posted by: Few Duds ()
Date: May 27, 2008 09:19PM

Very difficult to say. Fairfax County has so many wonderful schools. Great County. Maybe a few duds of schools, we’ll try to keep them hidden….and our tax dollars will keep them from drowning. Good luck in your choices.

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.