HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
No more hybrids in HOV?
Posted by: August West ()
Date: September 27, 2011 10:50PM

I leased a Prius specifically for my 34 mile commute down 66 to my job in Fairfax. I have withstood the abuse from my friends for having one and try my best not to be 'that Prius guy.' The gas savings cannot be ignored however and it would suck to have to drive my truck again.

Why would VDOT not let me drive in that precious left lane past you drive alone in real cars people?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No more hybrids in HOV?
Posted by: Enough is Enough ()
Date: September 27, 2011 11:04PM

Enough is Enough. If you have the "proper" license plate, you should be able to use the HOV lanes for another year. However, if you have one of the "newer" plates, apparently, your time would be up.

The government gave you a tax credit when you bought your hybrid. They let you uses the HOV lane for a few years. Now, you want more? I don't think so. Also, I don't think it's was the government's full intent for all of the Prius drivers to drive solo - but, they do. They don't care one bit about the environment (well, maybe slightly) because if they did, they'd have a few more people riding in their Prius.

Sorry that the clock has run out on you. Those are the breaks. I guess you might as well head out and buy a Denali for a great price now.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: September 27, 2011 11:08PM

The State Police are going to love it when hybrid drivers can no longer use HOV. There are going to be lots of hybrid drivers unaware of the new rules and the troopers are going to bring in a lot of ticket revenue.

Posted by: August West ()
Date: September 27, 2011 11:23PM

So when does this happen? Glad I leased it and am in year 3. I did not receive a tax break of any kind.

Yeah, as a teacher I have to try to beat the system wherever I can because that 34 mile commute is because I can't afford to live in leafy, affluent Fairfax.

The prestige and respect for being a teacher I receive from you who can afford to live in FFX just isn't enough anymore. But thanks for the 1% raise I just received in my Oct. paycheck.

Posted by: F the hybrids ()
Date: September 28, 2011 05:09AM

Screw that exemption. Some hybrids aren't even that fuel efficient. I drive a regular Civic for commuting that gets better mpg than half of the cars I see clogging up HOV on 267. Make it a bottom fuel economy, like 45 highway or something if you want to encourage fuel efficient cars.

Date: September 28, 2011 06:33AM

The old hybrids are grandfathered in on I-66 like they are on 395. However, why is the state bothering to produce a new "green" plate for hybrids when they don't get any kind of exemption? Why not just a regular Virginia plate?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 06:33AM by WashingTone-Locian.

Posted by: Lexus Lane ()
Date: September 28, 2011 06:58AM

We bought the hybrid version of our Lexus specifically so that my wife can ride the HOV on 66 taking our daughter to school in the morning and driving home from the Vienna metro in the evening. I do pickup so we can ride the HOV home to Gainesville. Riding the regular lane for her would add 20 minutes to her commute each night. I'm glad our older plate will be g'fathered in.

Posted by: Enough is Enough ()
Date: September 28, 2011 07:01AM

Lexus Lane Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We bought the hybrid version of our Lexus
> specifically so that my wife can ride the HOV on
> 66 taking our daughter to school in the morning
> and driving home from the Vienna metro in the
> evening. I do pickup so we can ride the HOV home
> to Gainesville. Riding the regular lane for her
> would add 20 minutes to her commute each night.
> I'm glad our older plate will be g'fathered in.

The real "Lexus Lanes" will come into play when the beltway opens the HOT lanes. You'll pay to use those lanes whether you have a hybrid or a big honkin' Denali.

Posted by: Lord Beltway ()
Date: September 28, 2011 07:12AM

LMAO! I find it hilarious that the state legislature completely overlooked how much disposable income there is here in NOVA such that single people bought hybrid second cars and multi car families bought additional hybrids SPECIFICALLY to gain solitary access to HOV. The whole purpose of HOV was to decrease the number of cars on the road and the hybrid exemption worked towards completely opposite results.

No doubt, this weighed heavily on the decision to install HOT lanes as with that much disposable income I'm sure there are people who can afford to pay any price per mile in order to avoid traffic. According to their website, tolls per mile will continue to escalate on HOT such that traffic continues to move at 55mph. I can't wait to hear what the highest recorded per mile toll ends up...$20 per mile? $30 per mile?

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: September 28, 2011 07:20AM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> However, why is the state
> bothering to produce a new "green" plate for
> hybrids when they don't get any kind of exemption?
> Why not just a regular Virginia plate?

Because idiots will pay extra for the special plate, just like they do for vanity plates. Wait and see. :-)

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: September 28, 2011 08:43AM

A few of the rules, as they are currently...

Hybrid rules on I-95/395:

Hybrid vehicles licensed with clean fuel plates issued before July 1, 2006 are allowed to use the I-95/395 HOV lanes during HOV hours (6 a.m.-9 a.m.; 3:30 p.m.-6 p.m., Monday through Friday). The current exemption expires June 30, 2012. Hybrids with clean fuel plates purchased after July 2006 are not allowed to travel on the I-95/395 HOV lanes without three people on board.

Hybrid rules on I-66:

Effective July 1, 2011, hybrids with clean fuel plates issued before July 1, 2011 are allowed to travel in the HOV lanes on I-66 during rush hour with one occupant. That exemption will expire June 30, 2012. Hybrids with clean fuel plates purchased after July 1, 2011 are not allowed to travel on the I-95/395 HOV lanes without three people on board.
Hybrid rules on the Dulles Toll Road:

Hybrids with clean fuel plates are allowed to travel in the HOV lanes on the Dulles Toll Road during rush hour with one occupant. That exemption will expire June 30, 2012.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What types of vehicles qualify for clean fuel license plates?

Not all hybrids qualify for clean fuel license plates. A complete list of eligible hybrids is available on the DMV website. SmartCars are not hybrids, so they do not qualify for clean fuel plates.

How do I get clean fuel license plates?

The clean fuel plates cost $25 annually and you must apply for them through DMV. The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) maintains the list of hybrid vehicles that qualify for clean fuel plates. If you have a hybrid vehicle not on the DMV list you cannot apply for clean fuel plates.

Posted by: Funny_Guy ()
Date: September 28, 2011 08:55AM

The OP...
Attachments:
a02d68bb_vbattach284419.gif

Posted by: Lord Beltway ()
Date: September 28, 2011 09:13AM

What's also assinine about providing an HOV exemption to hybrid cars is that there are traditionally powered vehicles that are more fuel efficient than some hybrids.

A 1992 Chevrolet Geo XFi for instance gets 43/52 mpg.

A 2001 Toyota Prius gets 42/41 mpg.

Granted there's emissions to consider and the Geo is an unsafe shitbox, but the efficiency argument doesn't start and end with hybrid technology. Additionally, parts, repairs and maintenance are significantly less expensive on the Geo. Especially if you can do your own labor. Most, not all, hybrid technology can only be serviced at a dealer.

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: September 28, 2011 09:38AM

> The old hybrids are grandfathered in on I-66 like
> they are on 395. However, why is the state
> bothering to produce a new "green" plate for
> hybrids when they don't get any kind of exemption?
> Why not just a regular Virginia plate?

There are other HOV lanes in Virginia to which the issue you note doesn't apply. Someone further up the thread cited the Dulles Toll Road. There are also HOV-2 lanes on US-1 and Washington Street through Alexandria in the peak direction during rush hour. None of those are subject to the same rule as Shirley Highway and I-66 about newly-purchased cars not being eligible for the exemption. (Incidentally, the exemption goes with the PLATE, not the car: If you had an eligible vehicle prior to July 1, 2006, and you later traded it in on a newer clean-fuel vehicle, you can transfer the plate just like you can on a standard trade-in and you get to keep the HOV exemption as a result.)

BTW, it's a misnomer to say the clean-fuel plate is for "hybrids." Other vehicles besides hybrids are eligible for that plate, including vehicles that run on propane and compressed natural gas and vehicles that run exclusively on E85. (I say "exclusively" because flex-fuel gas/E85 vehicles are NOT eligible for the obvious reason that flex-fuel owners would get the CF plate, then just run the car on normal gas all the time, defeating the intention of the rule.) I've known a couple of people with CNG-powered cars who quite legally had CF plates on them, yet invariably some self-righteous ignorant type would get pissed about them "cheating" by "putting hybrid plates on non-hybrid cars."

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: September 28, 2011 10:07AM

1995hoo Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The old hybrids are grandfathered in on I-66
> like
> > they are on 395. However, why is the state
> > bothering to produce a new "green" plate for
> > hybrids when they don't get any kind of
> exemption?
> > Why not just a regular Virginia plate?
>
> There are other HOV lanes in Virginia to which the
> issue you note doesn't apply. Someone further up
> the thread cited the Dulles Toll Road. There are
> also HOV-2 lanes on US-1 and Washington Street
> through Alexandria in the peak direction during
> rush hour. None of those are subject to the same
> rule as Shirley Highway and I-66 about
> newly-purchased cars not being eligible for the
> exemption. (Incidentally, the exemption goes with
> the PLATE, not the car: If you had an eligible
> vehicle prior to July 1, 2006, and you later
> traded it in on a newer clean-fuel vehicle, you
> can transfer the plate just like you can on a
> standard trade-in and you get to keep the HOV
> exemption as a result.)
>
> BTW, it's a misnomer to say the clean-fuel plate
> is for "hybrids."
Other vehicles besides hybrids
> are eligible for that plate, including vehicles
> that run on propane and compressed natural gas and
> vehicles that run exclusively on E85. (I say
> "exclusively" because flex-fuel gas/E85 vehicles
> are NOT eligible for the obvious reason that
> flex-fuel owners would get the CF plate, then just
> run the car on normal gas all the time, defeating
> the intention of the rule.) I've known a couple of
> people with CNG-powered cars who quite legally had
> CF plates on them, yet invariably some
> self-righteous ignorant type would get pissed
> about them "cheating" by "putting hybrid plates on
> non-hybrid cars."

Not an incorrect term, given it's the term the state uses. But here's the list of the cars that qualify for the plates.

YEAR QUALIFYING VEHICLES
2012 Buick Lacross, Buick Regal, Ford Escape 2.5L, Ford Fusion 2.5L, Honda Civic 1.3L (auto-CVS trans.), Honda Civic 1.3L (manual), Honda Insight 1.3L, Infiniti M35h 3.5L, Lexus CT200h 1.8 L, Lexus RX 450h 3.5L, Lexus LS 600hL 5L, Lincoln MKZ 2.5L, Mercedes-Benz S400 3.5, Mercury MKZ 2.5L, Nissan Leaf, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Highlander 3.5L, Toyota Prius 1.8L

2011 Chevrolet Volt 1.4L, Ford Escape 2.5L, Ford Fusion 2.5L, Honda Civic 1.3L, (auto-CVS trans.), Honda CR-Z 1.5L, Honda Insight 1.3L, Hyundai Sonata 2.4L, Kia Optima 2.4L, Lexus CT200h 1.8L,Lexus HS250h 2.4L, Lexus GS450h 3.5L, Lexus RX450h 3.5L, Lexus LS 600hL 5L, Lincoln MKZ, Mazda Tribute 2.5L, Mercedes-Benz ML450 3.5, Mercedes-Benz S400 3.5, Mercury Mariner 2.5L, Mercury Milan 2.5L, Nissan Altima 2.5, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Camry 2.4L, Toyota Highlander 3.5L, Toyota Prius 1.8 L

2010 Ford Escape 2.5L, Ford Fusion 2.5L, Honda Civic 1.3L, Honda Insight 1.3L, Lexus GS450h 3.5L, Lexus HS250h 2.4L, Lexus RX450h 3.5L, Mazda Tribute 2.5L, Mercedes-Benz ML450, Mercedes-Benz S400, Mercury Mariner 2.5L, Mercury Milan 2.5L, Nissan Altima 2.5, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Camry 2.4L, Toyota Highlander 3.3L, Toyota Prius 1.8L

2009 Ford Escape, Honda Civic, Lexus GS450h, Lexus LS600h, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner, Nissan Altima, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Camry, Toyota Camry Hybrid 2.4 L., Toyota Highlander, Toyota Prius

2008 Ford Escape, Honda Civic, Lexus GS450h, Lexus RX400h, Lexus LS600h, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner, Nissan Altima 2.5, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Camry, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Prius

2007 Ford Escape, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Lexus GS450h, Lexus RX400h, Mercury Mariner, Nissan Altima 2.5, Toyota Camry, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Prius

2006 Ford Escape, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Honda Insight, Lexus RX400, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Prius

2005 Ford Escape, Honda Civic, Honda Insight, Toyota Prius

2004 Honda Civic, Honda Insight, Toyota Prius

2003 and Earlier Honda Civic, Honda Insight, Toyota Prius

NOTE: As new vehicles qualify, this information will be updated. Flexible fuel vehicle engines that do not utilize only a clean special fuel DO NOT qualify for the plates.

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: September 28, 2011 10:48AM

"Not an incorrect term, given it's the term the state uses. But here's the list of the cars that qualify for the plates."

Yes, it's still misleading. What you've listed are all hybrids. There are plenty of other vehicles that qualify. The Honda Civic GX qualifies because it runs on CNG. I know of a fellow who has a Ford Crown Vic that runs on CNG. It has a CF plate because of the alternative fuel (the EPA classifies this car as an "ILEV"). I know another guy who used to have a CNG-powered Dodge Caravan; it also had a CF plate. He no longer owns the vehicle.

The listing above is one you copied from the DMV's site, but the DMV itself posted an incomplete listing because it's impossible for them to list every vehicle that may be converted to run on a clean fuel. That is, if you're willing to spend the money you can convert just about any car to run on CNG, which makes you eligible for the CF plate.

Notice the statement above the table you copied:

"In order for your vehicle to qualify as clean fuel it must be exclusively powered by clean special fuel. The following types of fuels may qualify a vehicle for clean special fuel plates:

Compressed Natural Gas
Electricity
Ethane
Hybrid Gasoline/Electric
Hydrogen
Hythane
Liquefied Natural Gas
Liquefied Petroleum Gas
Methane
Solar
or Combination of two types of clean special fuels."

The list is very clear: The plates are NOT for "hybrids only." It's just convenient for some people to scapegoat the hybrids.

(I do not own a hybrid nor any other car that gets me the CF plate, BTW. If anything, my RX-7's rotary engine is the opposite of fuel efficient!)

Posted by: biker! ()
Date: September 28, 2011 01:04PM

I use Metro in the winter and zoom down the HOV on my motorcycle all spring, summer and fall.

Posted by: dieselwillsaveearth ()
Date: September 28, 2011 01:20PM

Funny my TDI diesel gets better mileage than most hybrids including Prius...where is my exemption.

Date: September 28, 2011 01:28PM

biker! Wrote:
> I use Metro in the winter and zoom down the HOV on
> my motorcycle all spring, summer and fall.

Aw, no "riding" in the Winter? What a puss.

Posted by: Renegged BACK-Stabbing GOVERNMENT ()
Date: September 28, 2011 01:39PM

Our LARGEST SECTARION GOVERNMENT ON THE PLANET RENEGGS US AGAIN!!
With the promise to make the QUALIFYING HYBRID(s), the Civic Hybrid/Toyota Prius mainly, a CAR- TAX EXEMPT (value below $20,000 FED/local) item PLUS qualified to 'enter' the HOV lanes without the restriction(s) of added passengers, they SCREWED us into buying the more expensive technologically advanced? automobile(s), and are now renegging on all three tax/HOV items, slowly 'breaking it off' in your anus for being the sucker, AGAIN!
It's like 'Oh, we (the governemnt) PROMISE YOU A MUCH NEEDED BREAK IN TAXATION' even WITH the 'car-tax-relief' CONsidered - but, uh, but, uh, but, uh, but, uh - we're gonna SCREW YOU later, anyway! SUCKER!
Bottom line, the government is one big BALD FACED LYING SACK OF $HIT ON A SHINGLE and they know it, and GILLMORE is at the head of the BEARING FALSE WITNESS pack of VULTURES sucking the lifes blood out of all of us like VAMPIRES! Promised a FULL REPEAL of the car tax back then and look at us fools that voter for him now! And it's a tax that should have never been! Gas Tax, Car Tax, Tire Tax, tax tax tax you to death with POTHOLES GALORE! What a SCAM of a SHAM of a SHAM of a SCAM! And what do the local police do to help? SLAM THE TAXPAYERS POLICE VEHICLES RELENTLESSLY THRU POTHOLES CAUSING EVEN MORE PERPETUALLY INCREASED TAXES AND NOT REPORTING THEM (the Pot-holes) OR SOMETHING EXPEDITIOUSLY ENOUGH TO GET THEM - FIXED EXPEDITIOUSLY? As if they are not a life-threatening road hazard when they most absolutely are? All the while giving you tickets for a (i.e.-example) California Stop at a Stop sign when the intersection is clear? Oh! I know - the excellent pay and bennies for the PIG COP is not enough! IN A PIGS EYE! It's nothing less than ignorant GROSS NEGLIGENCE and they know it and do it DELIBERATLY! It's $&*#- YOU Q-PUBLIC! ATTITUDE with nothing less than a ROTTEN ATTITUDE towards ALL OF US displayed thru same! Main reason is probably: PAY ME MORE AND MORE while I do LESS AND LESS for SAME! $CREW YOU!

Date: September 28, 2011 02:07PM

Kilton Wrote:
> biker! Wrote:
> -----
> > I use Metro in the winter and zoom down the HOV
> on
> > my motorcycle all spring, summer and fall.
>
> Aw, no "riding" in the Winter? What a puss.

It more due to the VA cage drivers sliding into things (me) on the ice and snow, rather than the cold itself.

Date: September 28, 2011 02:09PM

Renegged BACK-Stabbing GOVERNMENT Wrote:
> Our LARGEST SECTARION GOVERNMENT ON THE PLANET
> RENEGGS US AGAIN!!
> With the promise to make the QUALIFYING HYBRID(s),
> the Civic Hybrid/Toyota Prius mainly, a CAR- TAX
> EXEMPT (value below $20,000 FED/local) item PLUS
> qualified to 'enter' the HOV lanes without the
> restriction(s) of added passengers, they SCREWED
> us into buying the more expensive technologically
> advanced? automobile(s), and are now renegging on
> all three tax/HOV items, slowly 'breaking it off'
> in your anus for being the sucker, AGAIN!
> It's like 'Oh, we (the governemnt) PROMISE YOU A
> MUCH NEEDED BREAK IN TAXATION' even WITH the
> 'car-tax-relief' CONsidered - but, uh, but, uh,
> but, uh, but, uh - we're gonna SCREW YOU later,
> anyway! SUCKER!
> Bottom line, the government is one big BALD FACED
> LYING SACK OF $HIT ON A SHINGLE and they know it,
> and GILLMORE is at the head of the BEARING FALSE
> WITNESS pack of VULTURES sucking the lifes blood
> out of all of us like VAMPIRES! Promised a FULL
> REPEAL of the car tax back then and look at us
> fools that voter for him now! And it's a tax that
> should have never been! Gas Tax, Car Tax, Tire
> Tax, tax tax tax you to death with POTHOLES
> GALORE! What a SCAM of a SHAM of a SHAM of a
> SCAM! And what do the local police do to help?
> SLAM THE TAXPAYERS POLICE VEHICLES RELENTLESSLY
> THRU POTHOLES CAUSING EVEN MORE PERPETUALLY
> INCREASED TAXES AND NOT REPORTING THEM (the
> Pot-holes) OR SOMETHING EXPEDITIOUSLY ENOUGH TO
> GET THEM - FIXED EXPEDITIOUSLY? As if they are
> not a life-threatening road hazard when they most
> absolutely are? All the while giving you tickets
> for a (i.e.-example) California Stop at a Stop
> sign when the intersection is clear? Oh! I know -
> the excellent pay and bennies for the PIG COP is
> not enough! IN A PIGS EYE! It's nothing less
> than ignorant GROSS NEGLIGENCE and they know it
> and do it DELIBERATLY! It's $&*#- YOU Q-PUBLIC!
> ATTITUDE with nothing less than a ROTTEN ATTITUDE
> towards ALL OF US displayed thru same! Main
> reason is probably: PAY ME MORE AND MORE while I
> do LESS AND LESS for SAME! $CREW YOU!

two words for you: paragraph breaks

oh, and two more: anger management

Posted by: Tyrone ()
Date: September 28, 2011 03:23PM

Holy wall of undecipherable text!!!

Seriously, learn how to use paragraphs. Oh, and fuck you and your piece of shit hybrid. Get the hell out of the way of my F250 you liberal douche.

Renegged BACK-Stabbing GOVERNMENT Wrote:
> Our LARGEST SECTARION GOVERNMENT ON THE PLANET
> RENEGGS US AGAIN!!
> With the promise to make the QUALIFYING HYBRID(s),
> the Civic Hybrid/Toyota Prius mainly, a CAR- TAX
> EXEMPT (value below $20,000 FED/local) item PLUS
> qualified to 'enter' the HOV lanes without the
> restriction(s) of added passengers, they SCREWED
> us into buying the more expensive technologically
> advanced? automobile(s), and are now renegging on
> all three tax/HOV items, slowly 'breaking it off'
> in your anus for being the sucker, AGAIN!
> It's like 'Oh, we (the governemnt) PROMISE YOU A
> MUCH NEEDED BREAK IN TAXATION' even WITH the
> 'car-tax-relief' CONsidered - but, uh, but, uh,
> but, uh, but, uh - we're gonna SCREW YOU later,
> anyway! SUCKER!
> Bottom line, the government is one big BALD FACED
> LYING SACK OF $HIT ON A SHINGLE and they know it,
> and GILLMORE is at the head of the BEARING FALSE
> WITNESS pack of VULTURES sucking the lifes blood
> out of all of us like VAMPIRES! Promised a FULL
> REPEAL of the car tax back then and look at us
> fools that voter for him now! And it's a tax that
> should have never been! Gas Tax, Car Tax, Tire
> Tax, tax tax tax you to death with POTHOLES
> GALORE! What a SCAM of a SHAM of a SHAM of a
> SCAM! And what do the local police do to help?
> SLAM THE TAXPAYERS POLICE VEHICLES RELENTLESSLY
> THRU POTHOLES CAUSING EVEN MORE PERPETUALLY
> INCREASED TAXES AND NOT REPORTING THEM (the
> Pot-holes) OR SOMETHING EXPEDITIOUSLY ENOUGH TO
> GET THEM - FIXED EXPEDITIOUSLY? As if they are
> not a life-threatening road hazard when they most
> absolutely are? All the while giving you tickets
> for a (i.e.-example) California Stop at a Stop
> sign when the intersection is clear? Oh! I know -
> the excellent pay and bennies for the PIG COP is
> not enough! IN A PIGS EYE! It's nothing less
> than ignorant GROSS NEGLIGENCE and they know it
> and do it DELIBERATLY! It's $&*#- YOU Q-PUBLIC!
> ATTITUDE with nothing less than a ROTTEN ATTITUDE
> towards ALL OF US displayed thru same! Main
> reason is probably: PAY ME MORE AND MORE while I
> do LESS AND LESS for SAME! $CREW YOU!

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: September 28, 2011 09:10PM

Let me summarize that wall of obnoxious text:

OMGWTFBBQ gubment tinfoilhat birther truther taxes imafreak etc.

Posted by: Thank god ()
Date: September 28, 2011 09:13PM

Smug little pricks with small dicks. Yuck. I would rather do a real man.

Posted by: Good riddance ()
Date: September 29, 2011 12:46AM

The fewer hybrids in the HOV lane the better. There are so many of them and the drivers move so slowly that even when I have several people in my car I'm usually somewhere on the right because the Prius-infested left lane on 66 is often the slowest.

And Renegged BACK-Stabbing GOVERNMENT, I am certainly no fan of the government but the fact that you spent money on a vehicle based on incorrect information is not their fault. Perhaps you should try some decaf...

Posted by: Easy Rider ()
Date: September 29, 2011 06:48AM

Thank god Wrote:
> Smug little pricks with small dicks. Yuck. I would
> rather do a real man.

Sorry, he's stuck in traffic and won't be here for hours.

Date: September 29, 2011 07:04AM

The plate transfer thing is BS. If you buy a new hybrid, DMV will not issue you a registration until the old plates are turned in. DMV is very particular about the exemption plates.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: September 29, 2011 07:21AM

> The plate transfer thing is BS. If you buy a new
> hybrid, DMV will not issue you a registration
> until the old plates are turned in. DMV is very
> particular about the exemption plates.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/cleanspecialfuel.asp

"This plate may only be renewed or transferred to a newly purchased qualifying vehicle."

Posted by: Lady Beltway ()
Date: September 29, 2011 07:54AM

I wish the ban on Priuses would take effect now. Indeed, the Va legislature made some demographic miscalculations.

My neighbor bought a Prius to commute to DC for a job he quit about six weeks later. His Prius, along with his older SUV and his wife's boxy sedan sits idle most days on our street. Oh, this is a young family with two drivers.

There are many, many more people who've done the same thing; bought a Prius to use as a free ticket to ride on 66, then on the weekends, they shuttle the kids around in their behemoth SUVs.

Posted by: 15mpg ()
Date: September 29, 2011 10:28AM

this discussion has turned into an environmental one.

the original reason for "HOV" was to get less cars on the road, by combining more people into less cars. eg. buses, shuttles, etc.

I do not agree that hybrids should be using this lane. I'm happy for the people that were able to for so long, but its not helping anyone, even you.

i hate the people that bought a hybrid to save the earth (oh god) and used the HOV lane as a nice byproduct. asshole liberal hippies.

motorcycles...that pisses me off too. BUT you really have to think about that one. motorcycle drivers are the best drivers out there. they're smart. not texting. not playing with the radio. they are fucking getting to work/home. and they are doing it damn well. let them be. in fact, give them that lane all to themselves and i'd be happy.

goodbye hybrids...you had a good run. now you can final research and find out that you car is using less gas, but not really helping the environment all that much.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: September 29, 2011 10:59AM

Kilton Wrote:
> biker! Wrote:
> -----
> > I use Metro in the winter and zoom down the HOV
> on
> > my motorcycle all spring, summer and fall.
>
> Aw, no "riding" in the Winter? What a puss.

lol Kilton I'm wondering if you'd ever consider riding an all electric motorcycle?

P.S. I agree, the guy is a pussy.

Date: September 29, 2011 11:58AM

Gonads & Strife Wrote:
> lol Kilton I'm wondering if you'd ever consider
> riding an all electric motorcycle?

Hey G&S. I don't think so, though I suppose electric models would have the benefit of not annoying everyone with loud pipes. So I'd be more supportive. :-)

Posted by: Susan Finklestorm ()
Date: September 29, 2011 12:09PM

Kilton Wrote:
> I suppose
> electric models would have the benefit of not
> annoying everyone with loud pipes. So I'd be more
> supportive.

Electric cars are already too quiet, endangering the lives of pedestrians. During daylight hours, with no sound and little sight produced, electric motorcyclists would be mauled by self-righteous, non-head-turning jackasses like yourself. You'd essentially be supporting manslaughter and your own demise (though luckily you haven't far to fall).

Posted by: Has Anyone? ()
Date: September 29, 2011 12:14PM

I was just wondering. Has anyone seen a Prius with a "Drill Here, Drill Now sticker on it?

Oh ... the irony.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: September 29, 2011 12:15PM

Kilton Wrote:
> Gonads & Strife Wrote:
> -----
> > lol Kilton I'm wondering if you'd ever
> consider
> > riding an all electric motorcycle?
>
> Hey G&S. I don't think so, though I suppose
> electric models would have the benefit of not
> annoying everyone with loud pipes. So I'd be more
> supportive. :-)

That's a firm maybe. I'll take it.

Posted by: Has Anyone? ()
Date: September 29, 2011 12:26PM

Porsche's answer to the hybrid:

MONTEREY, Calif. — Porsche is changing everything everyone thinks about hybrids by proving gas-electric technology can haul ass and save gas.

The Germans rolled into the ModSpace American Le Mans Monterey race with the 911 GT3 R Hybrid and delivered a beating to every car in the GT class as drivers Romain Dumas and Richard Lietz finished 10th overall. Not only did Porsche’s gas-electric wunderkind post the fastest lap, it made just three pit stops during the six-hour event, compared to the five everyone else made.

“The start phase was huge fun, because it was relatively easy to overtake the slower competitors,” Dumas said after the race. “But it’s even more fun because we can apply superior tactics thanks to the lower fuel consumption. We are much more flexible and we made the most of this today.”

It was the car’s first appearance on the West Coast (and only its second in North America since its debut last year), so we made it a point to stop by the paddock and check it out.

The car, based on the wickedly quick 911 GT3 R, isn’t a hybrid in the traditional sense. It uses a kinetic energy recovery system, and instead of a battery, the energy is stored in a flywheel. The system stores 0.2 kilowatts of energy, which is enough to provide an additional 150 kilowatts (203 horsepower) for an eight-second burst.

“That doesn’t sound like much, but the system recharges very quickly,” said Dieter Steinhauser, head of motorsports R&D. “For performance applications, a battery recharges too slowly.”

The flywheel, mounted where the passenger seat would be, spins at up to 40,000 RPM. It provides juice to a pair of 75 kilowatt (101 hp) motors, one per front wheel. The rear wheels are driven by a 4.0-liter flat-six good for 470 horsepower.

Date: September 29, 2011 12:35PM

Susan Finklestorm Wrote:
> Electric cars are already too quiet, endangering
> the lives of pedestrians. During daylight hours,
> with no sound and little sight produced, electric
> motorcyclists would be mauled by self-righteous,
> non-head-turning jackasses like yourself. You'd
> essentially be supporting manslaughter and your
> own demise (though luckily you haven't far to
> fall).

Hey Butterbean. Are you still annoyed that you can't figure out how to properly adjust your side mirrors? Even though there are detailed instructions all over the Internet? Life's tough. :-)

Date: September 29, 2011 12:39PM

Kilton Wrote:

>
> http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles
> /cleanspecialfuel.asp
>
> "This plate may only be renewed or transferred to
> a newly purchased qualifying vehicle."

Good to know.

Date: September 29, 2011 02:09PM

Lady Beltway Wrote:
> There are many, many more people who've done the
> same thing; bought a Prius to use as a free ticket
> to ride on 66, then on the weekends, they shuttle
> the kids around in their behemoth SUVs.

We bought the hybrid for my wife to have
a free ticket to take our daughter to school
and then I use my behemoth SUV to bring her
home in that same HOV lane.

Weekends we use both for errands.

Posted by: guess who! ()
Date: September 30, 2011 10:32PM

Kilton Wrote:
> So I'd be more
> supportive. :-)

like a jock strap.

Posted by: Drilling won't help ()
Date: September 30, 2011 11:04PM

Has Anyone? Wrote:
> I was just wondering. Has anyone seen a Prius
> with a "Drill Here, Drill Now sticker on it?
>
> Oh ... the irony.

I actually have. I won't even get into the fail encapsulated in that sticker.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: October 02, 2011 12:54AM

They're trying to phase it out because of so many bogus 'hybrid' cars coming out.

And they should.

For example, why should the Lexus RX 450h (32 city 28 HWY) get to use the HOV when a non-hybrid Honda Civic (28 City 39 HYW) does not?

Or a Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid which gets an awesome (19 city 25HWY)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs.shtml

Motorcycles are permitted to use HOV lanes throughout Virginia during HOV hours.

Because motorcycles are truly fuel efficient vehicles. Of course, you'd be a moron to drive one, but they sip gasoline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2011 12:58AM by trogdor!.

Posted by: Price ()
Date: October 02, 2011 08:12AM

trogdor! Wrote:
> Because motorcycles are truly fuel efficient
> vehicles. Of course, you'd be a moron to drive
> one, but they sip gasoline.

Actually motorcycles aren't all that efficient, if you compare their MPG to carried weight. The use little space and except for few retards don't really contribute to traffic, so I'm fine with their HOV exemption.

Posted by: Nuke power ()
Date: October 02, 2011 09:38AM

We need to get the fedgov to decentralize by moving some headquarters out to Virginia to reduce the traffic to DC.

Date: October 02, 2011 10:12AM

trogdor! Wrote:
> For example, why should the Lexus RX 450h (32
> city 28 HWY) get to use the HOV when a non-hybrid
> Honda Civic (28 City 39 HYW) does not?

Because I drive one of the former and you don't? Seems fair to me.

Hybrids are hybrids and non-hybrids aren't. Might seem like a loophole, but...

Get the god damn landscaper trucks out of the HOV lanes pulling the trailer full of beaner-driven lawnmowers! Why won't the police pull over these commercial vehicles?

Posted by: brian ()
Date: October 02, 2011 10:45AM

So just get another person to ride with you , problem solved
Attachments:
family-guy-prius-01.jpg

Posted by: yes yes ()
Date: October 02, 2011 11:06AM

eesh Wrote:
> The State Police are going to love it when hybrid
> drivers can no longer use HOV. There are going to
> be lots of hybrid drivers unaware of the new rules
> and the troopers are going to bring in a lot of
> ticket revenue.

i guess all that money they save on gas will pay for the tickets
btw: i hate prius drivers- theyre worse than cabs

Date: October 02, 2011 12:27PM

yes yes Wrote:
> i guess all that money they save on gas will pay
> for the tickets
> btw: i hate prius drivers- theyre worse than cabs

Then you're gonna love this... plus there's a raghead at the wheel who will act as though he doesn't know where you're going and will take the long way to get there!
Attachments:
prius_taxi.jpg

Posted by: Lifecycle ()
Date: October 02, 2011 02:29PM

Today's hybrids are impressive, but there is no substitute for accurately accounting the manufacturing cost and environmental impact of the vehicle's production. Building a Prius in Japan with imported raw materials (Japan imports most of its natural resources) and then shipping the Prius across the pacific to market on fossil fuel powered ship is hardly efficient.

Plus in electric is also nonsense because most power plants in America are still coal-fire-plants.

We need future hybrids to be built here in America with non-unionized American workforce as a first step. Reducing the weight of conventional fossil fuel powered cars is also necessary.

Until then, hybrid, plug-in electric cars are just marketing gimmics.

Posted by: huh?? ()
Date: October 02, 2011 09:39PM

Lifecycle Wrote:
>
> Plus in electric is also nonsense because most
> power plants in America are still
> coal-fire-plants.

Exactly! People ain't thinking this through all the way.

Date: October 02, 2011 10:14PM

Lifecycle Wrote:
> Today's hybrids are impressive, but there is no
> substitute for accurately accounting the
> manufacturing cost and environmental impact of the
> vehicle's production. Building a Prius in Japan
> with imported raw materials (Japan imports most of
> its natural resources) and then shipping the Prius
> across the pacific to market on fossil fuel
> powered ship is hardly efficient.
>
> Plus in electric is also nonsense because most
> power plants in America are still
> coal-fire-plants.
>
> We need future hybrids to be built here in America
> with non-unionized American workforce as a first
> step. Reducing the weight of conventional fossil
> fuel powered cars is also necessary.
>
> Until then, hybrid, plug-in electric cars are just
> marketing gimmics.

And when all of your wishes come true they'll be built by wood sprites and run on happy thoughts, right? Keep on wishing, Peter Pan!

Posted by: Battery powered ()
Date: July 01, 2013 12:17AM

1995hoo Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> -----
> > The old hybrids are grandfathered in on I-66
> like
> > they are on 395. However, why is the state
> > bothering to produce a new "green" plate for
> > hybrids when they don't get any kind of
> exemption?
> > Why not just a regular Virginia plate?
>
> There are other HOV lanes in Virginia to which the
> issue you note doesn't apply. Someone further up
> the thread cited the Dulles Toll Road. There are
> also HOV-2 lanes on US-1 and Washington Street
> through Alexandria in the peak direction during
> rush hour. None of those are subject to the same
> rule as Shirley Highway and I-66 about
> newly-purchased cars not being eligible for the
> exemption. (Incidentally, the exemption goes with
> the PLATE, not the car: If you had an eligible
> vehicle prior to July 1, 2006, and you later
> traded it in on a newer clean-fuel vehicle, you
> can transfer the plate just like you can on a
> standard trade-in and you get to keep the HOV
> exemption as a result.)
>
> BTW, it's a misnomer to say the clean-fuel plate
> is for "hybrids." Other vehicles besides hybrids
> are eligible for that plate, including vehicles
> that run on propane and compressed natural gas and
> vehicles that run exclusively on E85. (I say
> "exclusively" because flex-fuel gas/E85 vehicles
> are NOT eligible for the obvious reason that
> flex-fuel owners would get the CF plate, then just
> run the car on normal gas all the time, defeating
> the intention of the rule.) I've known a couple of
> people with CNG-powered cars who quite legally had
> CF plates on them, yet invariably some
> self-righteous ignorant type would get pissed
> about them "cheating" by "putting hybrid plates on
> non-hybrid cars."

Does anybody know where it is documented that hybrids can use the HOV on Rt 1 in old town?

Posted by: hehehehehe ()
Date: July 01, 2013 08:07AM

you really revived a 2 year old thread to ask something you could google?

beat it fruitcake

Posted by: Battery Powered ()
Date: July 01, 2013 06:44PM

I did search, moron. Came up with nothing.

So does anybody out there know if hybrids wih hybrid plates can use the HOV lanes in Old Town?

Posted by: Fruitcake ()
Date: July 01, 2013 07:21PM

August West Wrote:
> I leased a Prius specifically for my 34 mile
> commute down 66 to my job in Fairfax. I have
> withstood the abuse from my friends for having one
> and try my best not to be 'that Prius guy.' The
> gas savings cannot be ignored however and it would
> suck to have to drive my truck again.
>
> Why would VDOT not let me drive in that precious
> left lane past you drive alone in real cars
> people?
Attachments:
27756.gif

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.