HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Abusive Driver Fees
Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: January 09, 2008 08:58PM

Can you believe that Dave Albo still doesn't get it? What a putz!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/09/AR2008010902501.html?hpid=topnews

While I believe that some sort of penalties are in order to punish truly abusive drivers, attaching it to a financing scheme for transportation improvements makes no sense. Penalize drivers for DUI starting with the first offense, habitual/serial offenders, severely aggressive driving, speeding > 30 miles over the limit, etc., but don't over burden the generally good driver who make a mistake. The insurance hit and normal civil penalties are usually enough to make people pay attention and be more careful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abusive Driver Fees
Posted by: coffin ()
Date: January 09, 2008 09:50PM

Maybe Albo heard from a lot of people like me. People that are fed up with all the assholes on the roads. The initial outcry was over the fees not applying to out-of-staters, so he is trying to fix that. He has my full support!

It's sort of like the redistricting thread here...a LOUD minority railing against Stu Gibson....hell, he's Hitler and Jack the Ripper all rolled into one. What those pinheads over there forget is the that the man JUST won reelection by a wide margin. Democracy in action!

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: January 10, 2008 08:45AM

coffin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe Albo heard from a lot of people like me.
> People that are fed up with all the assholes on
> the roads.

Exactly what "assholes" are you referring to. I drive around the beltway and 66 almost everyday and very rarely do I ever witness "aggressive driving". If anything, it's the opposite and those frightened and passive drivers are the most deadly.

Personally, I've never had a problem with folks that want to go faster than me. They go past and they're gone. The problem is with the people that can't seem to even do the speed limit. THEY are the ones that cause the accidents and all the traffic back ups around here? Try merging onto any highway around here and 2 out of the 3 cars ahead of you will try doing it 25 mph less than the average highway speed. Same goes for deceleration lanes when people slow down half a mile before the exit.

WHY? Because we have the blind leading the blind. Lets be honest, who are the worst drivers? Asians, Pakistani's, Indians and Beaners without a doubt are the worst. Yet go to any driving school and check out the instructors. This is why traffic around here is such a goatfuck. Throw in the illegals who are afraid to draw attention to themselves and drive 5 mph below the speed limit and you get Rt. 236 through Annandale.

Dave Albo is an idiot and we all know what his primary interest is in this scheme/scam. Not to mention, could somebody please talk to him about his hair. It looks like he sticks his dick in a light socket every morning.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: January 10, 2008 09:01AM

66 has gotten better, but I maintain my previously stated complaint that rt 28 has a lot of aggressive passing at excessively high speeds (I shouldn't HAVE to go faster than 70), dangerous lane changers, and the like. So I can reach a middle ground, that there are still plenty of drivers who are way out of line, but that there are also many who drive too conservatively and make life dangerous for those who choose to drive right at the legal (or reasonable) limits.

Posted by: cnn ()
Date: January 10, 2008 10:41AM

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/01/09/ross.ok.slow.drivers.beware.ktul

just today on CNN, drivers that are going too SLOW in the left lane are being stopped.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: January 10, 2008 11:29AM

That video seemed to specifically be about oklahoma.. I'd love to see a story about it happening in our area.

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: January 10, 2008 12:30PM

Kaine has now announced that he wants to repeal the abusive driver fees because they are not working

http://www.examiner.com/a-1148908~Kaine_urges_lawmakers_to_repeal_abusive_driver_fees.html

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: January 10, 2008 03:26PM

Yes, I heard this too.. I like to think that all the letter writing and activism of the people actually worked. I know I sent a couple letters to my state reps.. and to Gov kaine.

In the words of Boombaurer

Damn man, Democracy in action , hell yeah.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 31, 2008 08:36AM

So much for the folks who came in here last summer saying that these abusive driver fees were a good idea... yesterday the VA Senate voted unanimously to repeal them, along with a provision to give refunds to people who have paid them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/30/AR2008013002445.html

I can't find any comments from Dave Albo on this, but it'd be funny to see them. There go his plans to put a new wing on his house...

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 31, 2008 01:31PM

yay! sounds like politicians actually listened to the people for a change. im sure it was only in fear of not being re-elected.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 31, 2008 06:11PM

Numbers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> coffin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maybe Albo heard from a lot of people like me.
> > People that are fed up with all the assholes on
> > the roads.
>
> Exactly what "assholes" are you referring to. I
> drive around the beltway and 66 almost everyday
> and very rarely do I ever witness "aggressive
> driving". If anything, it's the opposite and those
> frightened and passive drivers are the most
> deadly.
>
> Personally, I've never had a problem with folks
> that want to go faster than me. They go past and
> they're gone. The problem is with the people that
> can't seem to even do the speed limit. THEY are
> the ones that cause the accidents and all the
> traffic back ups around here? Try merging onto any
> highway around here and 2 out of the 3 cars ahead
> of you will try doing it 25 mph less than the
> average highway speed. Same goes for deceleration
> lanes when people slow down half a mile before the
> exit.
>

Amen! Also people who stop when they get scared, instead of getting out of the way. Asian woman today was in the middle of the intersection, saw me coming in fast, and jams on the brakes so hard her car almost flipped over. In the middle of the intersection. Yep, that will save her if i hadn't stopped.

>
> Dave Albo is an idiot and we all know what his
> primary interest is in this scheme/scam. Not to
> mention, could somebody please talk to him about
> his hair. It looks like he sticks his dick in a
> light socket every morning.

LOL!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.