HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123456AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Official FCPS School Board Elections Thread
Posted by: SickofSB ()
Date: October 02, 2011 08:10AM

I've studied both Kathy Smith's and Moon's record in the school board minutes. They both need to go....both wanted Gatehouse II (Moon flipped his decision like he always does to vote for it in second round). Kathy offered us no leadership - no vision, no strategic objectives (strategic governance is a disaster - won't go there), no new innovative and fresh ideas. Treats parents AND teachers like second class citizens. Both completely out of touch.
Velkoff is Kathy's righthand man and I know for a fact how evil he has been behind the scenes during the pre-election season. I wish these people would get a life and move on, they are totally incompetent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NoKidsOnSB ()
Date: October 02, 2011 08:14AM

all 25 of his years? give me a break!!!!!! he is clueless!!! what 25 year old understands the school board politics? he will get eaten alive.

Posted by: Nov8cantcomesoonenough ()
Date: October 02, 2011 08:26AM

Elizabeth Schultz's opponent just copied all of her ideas. He has no new ideas

Posted by: Nov8cantcomesoonenough ()
Date: October 02, 2011 08:32AM

what planet are you from? do you ever get out and talk to people? I don't live anywhere near Clifton...parents are ANGRY - class size, discipline, redistricting, teacher compensation - get a grip.

Posted by: Good Retort ()
Date: October 02, 2011 11:13PM

Posted by: Get a Grip ()
Date: September 30, 2011 01:19PM

Get a Grip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > 69,000 discipline infractions in 2009-10. That sure is a lot of people!
>
> Every one of those kids was innocent, right? Let me remind you that a 15 year-old abducted a 5 year-old from her house in Springfield last month and today a 16 year-old is being charged with assault in Greenbriar after he tried to abduct a woman last week. The 15 and 16 year olds today are not all Justin Beibers.<

69,000 versus 2. which more accurately represents today's teenagers? You decide.

> Stubans amd Andersons who buried their sons due to the harshness of the process.<
>
> No, the Stubans and Andersons are burying their sons because they decided to take their own lives.<

which decisions were triggered by a humiliating, degrading, destructive, dehumanizing discipline process.

Thomas More,
So let me take your question and turn it back on you since you brought up Stuban and Anderson; 173,000 vs 2: "which more accurately represents today's teenagers? You decide."

Pretty good retort, Thomas. (crickets)

Posted by: logicaldog ()
Date: October 03, 2011 01:41PM

"todays teenagers" in FCPS are depressed, and many are medicated. Measure these not the ones that actually get to the point that they have to commit suicide. The system is not serving them,there is no trust, and THAT is the point, you don't have to wait until it affects you (oh I know your little darlings are never in trouble) but the next time your daughter is standing next to a friend by her locker and the friend takes a midol and your daughter is ensnared in zero tolerance and you have to hire an expensive lawyer and sell your house...it seems on this website the only people who give a flying ----are the ones where your own kids have to kill themselves (Stuban), it shouldn't have to get to that before you pay attention and start voting some kind of conscience.

Posted by: Springfield candidate debate tonight ()
Date: October 03, 2011 05:19PM

West Springfield HS

Spartan Hall - 8 pm

Fairfax County School Board, Springfield District Candidate’s Forum

Candidates will make brief statements and

then take questions from the community

If you're really interested in learning about the candidates in Springfield, this is your chance.

Posted by: Was there ()
Date: October 03, 2011 10:48PM

Pretty good forum. Curious why Bradsher showed up in the last 15 minutes.

Posted by: WSHS1981 ()
Date: October 03, 2011 11:57PM

Madness tonight.
Wittman said he won't rethink anything this School Board does at all and that once they have made the decison since they are elected it is what he is going with including videoing the kids inside school with cameras.

"I think I will stop there" was his most used phrase when he should have stopped ten minutes before. Plus he didn't know any specifics. Contrast, Schultz had a grasp of the issues with a commitment to help advance WSHS and try to get us renovated by our 50th anniversary.

Wittman said other schools might feel differently about us getting renovated. What? Really lost me when he said his son dropped out of high school because he couldn't get up in the morning but that he didn't support the SLEEP change.
It wasn't even close. Really glad I went. Spartans, this is an easy decision and not what you may have heard through pot-stirrers. Schultz is getting my vote.

Posted by: inside WSHS ()
Date: October 04, 2011 12:38AM

Wittman didn't say he wouldn't re-think cameras inside the school, he specifed that there needed to be more dicussion Hard to follow though. Everything else I agree with, WSHS1981

Posted by: was there also ()
Date: October 04, 2011 12:50AM

Also there. Bradsher was there from the beginning, that's why the moderator pointed her out when she introduced the candidates running for Ms. Bradsher's seat. Moon was there as well, talking to Wittman before the debate started. It would appear that Moon and Bradsher are advising Wittman. Moon even took a picture of Wittman when he was making his opening remarks, before Wittman forgot the point he was trying to make.

I think Schultz won tonight's debate. At one point Wittman even said that he's changing his stance on security cameras in the schools. WTH?? At the Orange Hunt meeting that he and Schultz came to speak at (about 2 weeks ago), he said he was not in favor of cameras in the schools. Suddenly tonight he is in favor if they can find the money? Why? Because most of the people present tonight seemed to be in favor of them? He did say that some schools may have to wait in line for cameras, just like they have to wait their turn for renovations. Sounded to me like he was telling WSHS that it's just going to have to wait it's turn to be renovated. That doesn't work for me. WSHS already "waited it's turn" and got screwed thanks to Bradsher pushing for SOCO.

Oh, he's also a huge supporter of the bond, and explained that when a project is listed on the bond, that just gives them the right to be listed on the queue. Yeah, just because WSHS is listed on the queue doesn't mean it can't be bumped off again.

Also, did Wittman really say that the new school board should not question any decisions made by the current school board because they made those decisions as elected officials? So? Using that logic, I guess he's also not in favor of appeals or the Supreme Court? If a decision by the current school board was a bad decision, of course it should be revisited. (No, I'm not referring to Clifton. Not everyone interested in this race is from Clifton.) What about the issue of parental notification? Should the new school board just ignore that because the current school board already made that decision while they were in office?

Poor performance by Wittman tonight. He's an adviser to the current school board, but doesn't know anything about the proposal to change the grading system for elementary schools to do away with letter grades? Okay, he said he doesn't have enough information yet and basically declined to answer the question, but surely he has an opinion on the matter.

I went to the debate tonight leaning towards Schultz because I've heard her speak before. After listening to Wittman, my mind is made up. Schultz is the right person to represent Springfield. Wittman doesn't have what it takes. This isn't about party affiliation for me. I'm voting Democrat for state senate. It's about who will get the job done. For me, that's Schultz for the school board.

Posted by: FairfaxNative ()
Date: October 04, 2011 01:28AM

I did not hear a single reference to party tonight. I was surprised - in a good way because I didn't expect that.

Actions, though, say more than words. Whittman had Liz Bradsher, Ilyong Moon and Eileen Filler-Corn there to do what? validate? act as a crutch? Schultz didn't need to have party electeds there to give legitimacy.

I was definitely not comfortable that Whittman was getting his talking points from Bradsher. I am kind of a Liberatarian so don't like the FCPS-watching-kids-cam. Whittman said he was against them and now on a weekend got information and now he is for them? Information about what and from who? He was against them before he was for them? Yea, heard that one somewhere before.

I talked to her after and was glad to here she pretty much grew up here in Greenbriar in a military family. Me too so it's a slam dunk. Not because of Greenbriar, just everything.

Posted by: also there ()
Date: October 04, 2011 09:41AM

I was also there last night. Interesting takes. WSHS1981 and "was there also" are obviously Shultz campaign manager. (Not that I disagree with his assessment). I'm not sure how FairfaxNative makes the conclusion that Bradsher is advising Wittman. I saw nothing in either's actions that could lead one to draw that conclusion. Wittman and Bradsher did not interact AT ALL. Bradsher was skulking around the back of the room for the last 20 minutes of the meeting or so [and her lapdog Eric couldn't wait to get back to her]. She was not introduced at the begining of the forum - only mentioned as the incumbent holding the seat. (She was probably out at the bar getting a martini).

Eileen Filler-Corn is a parent of a WSHS student. She regularly goes to the PTSA meetings. She was there to hear about the issues and hear the candidates speak.

Moon is also an at-large canidate for school board. He was there to be seen (and thankfully not talk since he doesn't speak english). Of course he spoke to Wittman - they're both democrats. I don't think he is advising Wittman - Wittman wouldn't be able to understand Moon, and Moon would fall asleep listening to Wittman or waiting for him to remember his thought - but I'll stop there!

As far as speaking, Wittman did not do himself any favors tonight. He is an honest and thoughtful man, but his monotone speach to the point of rambling - and then forgetting his thought - did not inspire confidence.

Schultz came across confident and passionate on most issues. I believe she will do everything she can to get WSHS renovated as quickly as possible. She may even get Clifton reopened - and good for her if she does, that school should never have been closed.

Date: October 04, 2011 10:28AM

Thanks "also" for view, but not political at all never mind being a campaign manager. I have been following this race because the current SB member sunk us and I am trying to figure out who can get the job done and renovate my alma mater. It is that simple.
Unless the John the handyman is going to do it himself, he doesn't come close.
I couldn't care less about Clifton one way or the other. This is about WSHS. She brought up several ways to work on the problem. That is what I wanted to hear and bet Eileen F-C did too.

Posted by: Spartan ()
Date: October 04, 2011 10:48AM

Good points "also," and funny. "Was there also", I too had you pegged as Schultz' campaign manager, but agree. I would add that Schultz does point to her republican endorsements. Is is about WSHS and the negligence by this and past school boards. I want someone who is passionately fighting for WSHS like I have been, not someone who dictates SOAR's letters and rams SOCO MS down our throats. If that means pounding your fist on the work session table then so be it. I believe Schultz will do that.

Date: October 04, 2011 11:05AM

Funny that the above poster thinks I'm the same person as WSHS 1981 and Schultz's campaign manager. I was 10 years old in 1981. As for being her campaign manager, sorry, but that made me laugh! I wouldn't even know where to begin as a campaign manager. I'm a Mom of 3 and work full time. I barely have time to breath these days, much less try to figure out how to run a campaign. The only reason I was able to attend the debate last night was because it rained all day yesterday and my kids' sports activities were canceled.

I noticed that Bradsher was there early on because I had just returned from the restroom when she entered the room and the moderator was making introductions. Nothing more.

My hope for this election is that people look at the candidates based on their merits and not their label as a Dem or Repub. I personally think Schultz will do a better job, but that's simply my opinion. I'm not trying to sway anyone one way or the other. In my above post, I simply recounted what I witnessed last night and my opinion of the debate.

I should say that I did not actually attend the meeting at Orange Hunt since I was home sick with 3 sick kids, but I did ask my neighbor to fill me in because I had wanted to attend. I was happy when she told me then that Wittman was against cameras in schools because I think there are better ways to spend the 2.2 million they've estimated it will cost. I was dismayed last night to hear that he's changing his stance on that matter.

Schultz on the other hand stated exactly why she's not in favor of the cameras. I'm paraphrasing here, but it was something to the effect "if there is extra money out there that is not designated for instructional services, why is it not designated for instructional services? Wouldn't that be a better use of that money when we are cutting programs left and right? Of course we all want our children to be safe in school, but do we need cameras filming every square inch of the school to achieve that?"

I don't think cameras in the schools are the answer. Kids aren't stupid, they will know where every single camera is located as soon as they're installed. If they want to cause trouble, they're just going to avoid the cameras. I just think it's a waste of money that could better spent elsewhere. Like renovating WSHS or putting back towards instructional services.

I'm not sure what to think about the whole Clifton issue. I know Schultz is from Clifton and agree with her that if it made sense to reopen it, why not? But I question if it does make sense. I've heard all the reasons why it was closed and I've heard that all those reasons weren't true, but I don't know who to believe. That is part of the problem here. We've lost trust in the current school board. That makes it very difficult to trust someone that acts as an adviser and supporter of the current school board.

There was someone in the back with a camera on a tripod. I think she was video taping the event, but it wasn't a video camera so I'm not sure. If she was taping, I hope that video is posted somewhere so the rest of the voters in Springfield can see the debate and decide for themselves.

Posted by: not even close ()
Date: October 04, 2011 11:07AM

Schultz runs circles around John Boy-he is not ready for prime time.

Date: October 04, 2011 11:14AM

Spartan Wrote:
> Good points "also," and funny. "Was there also", I
> too had you pegged as Schultz' campaign manager,
> but agree. I would add that Schultz does point to
> her republican endorsements. Is is about WSHS and
> the negligence by this and past school boards. I
> want someone who is passionately fighting for WSHS
> like I have been, not someone who dictates SOAR's
> letters and rams SOCO MS down our throats. If
> that means pounding your fist on the work session
> table then so be it. I believe Schultz will do
> that.

I'm finding it hilarious that everyone thought I was her campaign manager! As I said in my post above, I wouldn't even know where to begin with something like that.

You're right, Schultz did point to her republican endorsements, but didn't Wittman also? I can't remember for sure but I think he did.

I really would like to see the video from last night if there is any.

Posted by: OHECA Lifer ()
Date: October 04, 2011 11:35AM

A few weeks ago OHECA had a forum that I could not attend. I got a run down on some of the basics, though. Wittman and Schultz were against the camera initiative to tape kids inside all the schools. Good. Wittman and Schultz were both for getting an independent auditor. Also good. I was try to figure out what made the two candidates different.
Now Wittman is against an auditor and for cameras? Got it. Thanks for clearing up forin me the difference. He has already toeing the linedifference and adopted central administration's positions and he isn't even elected yet?

Posted by: inside WSHS ()
Date: October 04, 2011 11:35AM

Yes, they both point to their endorsements. It's difficult to get elected without one, but hopefully that's where the partisanship will stop. Someone was indeed taking video. Not sure I could suffer it again.

Posted by: JustAMom ()
Date: October 04, 2011 12:06PM

I wanted to learn more and found this which has a lot from the candidates:
http://fairfaxcaps.netfirms.com/wordpress-act/2011/09/30/responses-of-school-board-candidates-to-fairfaxcaps-questionnaire-2/

One thing I can say is there is no way the man who spoke to us last night wrote this. He couldn't finish many of his thoughts and sometimes didn't even answer the question someone asked.

Date: October 04, 2011 02:16PM

Last night was the first time I met Schultz. This is our first year at WSHS so I didn't know about Filler-Corn. We were just redistricted to her and don't know anything about her either since she hasn't been representing us. I have been watching the whole school board mess because of all the issues and plus we thought WSHS would be renovated by the time we were in. Were we wrong.

I was an original resident in Greenbriar so it was just a point we connected on. There was nothing to connect to Whittman on because I couldn't even listen to or follow his point.

I am not Republican or Democratic but lean more right than left. Like I said, kind of Liberatarian. I figured since they were both endorsed it would be a big part of what they talked about so they would separate from each other. I just thought it was good that it was about. I remember Schultz saying she was endorsed by someone who used to be the School Board Chairman and President of the Fairfax Chamber of Commerce but that's all.

Just because another county is videoing kids doesn't mean we should. There was no explanation for why Whittman changed his position other than he got some information on the weekend. ???? Why does this have to be decided right now anyway? They both said this should wait for next school board. There is no reason not to wait. The only reason to hurry up and do it now is because this school board thinks the next one won't do it. All the more reason not to hurry this through.

Date: October 04, 2011 06:14PM

thanks for the link above. I hadn't seen that before. Very informative. The below is directly from Wittman. The fact that he would even consider keeping Dale on as Superintendent speaks volumes. I don't know of anyone that wants Dale to stay. Why would Wittman even consider re-hiring Dale?

FAIRFAX COUNTY COALITION OF ADVOCATES FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Fairfax County School Board Candidate Questionnaire

Submitted by John Wittman, Candidate for School Board-Springfield
September 22,2011

1) What are three (3) most significant issues facing Fairfax County Public Schools. What actions will you support as a school board member to address these issues?

a. School Superintendent - Dr. Dale's contract runs until 6/30/2013. As the only FCPS employee hired by the school board, board members need to determine whether to either negotiate with Dr. Dale for another term (if he wants one) or initiate a search for a new superintendent. At this time, I think a search for a replacement is appropriate, and if Dr. Dale plans to continue in his
position, he would be considered with other candidates. Secondly, but no less important, the Board needs to develop employment contract terms that will reflect a shift in responsibilities and authority for the superintendent such that the Board retains more positive control of school administrative policy. Similarly, the strategic governance policy and practices need a parallel revision. Even if Dr. Dale ultimately retains his current position, the school board, now
consisting of several new members, will have re-visited the governance issue and re-established a benchmark for FCPS policy and management going forward.

Posted by: Informed Voter ()
Date: October 04, 2011 07:40PM

To OP of link, thank you for reality dose.
Attachments:
Wittman questionnaire responses.png

Posted by: Official Thread? ()
Date: October 04, 2011 11:16PM

Based on many of these posts, people are taking themselves way too seriously. The school board is important and we should elect the best candidates. But the work people are putting into posting on a blog like this is strange. There are about a million people in this county. There are a couple hundred posts on the most active threads made by who knows how few people. Who are you all talking to, yourselves?

Date: October 05, 2011 10:56AM

Did anyone go to the West Springfield PTSA meeting where candidates presented, a couple of nights ago, and principals are steamrolling the security cameras to PTSA's, except for smart mobilized communities like TJ and Langley, who are refusing the cameras.

Date: October 05, 2011 11:14AM

Yes. WSHS admin said it is needed, has nothing to do with discipline (WTH?!) and washed over most details.

They are trying to railroad this through before next school board gets elected since it doesn't look like many candidates support it.

Shocker is that Whittman backed down and said he supports them now and that the principals say they want them and if the school board votes it he won't revisit anything the school board does because they are the ones to make the decision.

I do not get how he is (D) and for videoing our kids and Schultz said she does not think this should be done and that there should be proactive ways to address only where there are problems. There is just no comparing these two. Whittman has changed his tune already and you would think he'd be more concerned about social justice being (D) endorsed!

You are right, logicaldog, this is being steamrolled and it is total BS they are trying to pass this in a hurry before the election.

Posted by: Shennanigans ()
Date: October 05, 2011 03:53PM

I'm all for Jack Dale to be fired. I'm for Kathy Smith to leave School Board. I believe that the School Board requires new thinking and get all disgust out of teachers minds and parents minds. Just because it is an election year the teachers get a meager raise. The current board did not worry about teachers having to buy their own supplies. All this is coming from Kathy Smith and gang. What a world they made for themselves. I'm for Sheila Ratnam for Sully. I don't usually vote, but this November 8th, I will be the first one to ring the bell and start the voting !! I would urge eveyone to look at the state as to how the schooling systems used to be in 80's and 90's. But how it has degraded to a commercial disgust. Please go and vote and make the change. Especially Sully !!

Posted by: LeisureReader ()
Date: October 05, 2011 05:24PM

I met Sheila at a meet and greet and was pleasantly surprised with her composure and passion. She did a nice job of really listening to us in one on one talks and shared why she wants to serve us on the School Board.
She doesn't have the full knowledge of every issue like a few of the other candidates[Elizabeth and Sheree] but that is really a plus to me right now when compared to Kathy Smith. Sheila is bright and passionate, which is what we need. The last thing I want is a deeply embedded Jack-anista who cares more about what Dale thinks than what is good for us.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: October 05, 2011 11:00PM

In-person absentee voting started Monday at the Taj Mahal and will be open on Saturday.

There are lots of reason that justify absentee voting, e.g.,if you work outside the County, you could qualify.

Beats the hell out of standing in line on November 8.

If your college kid is coming home this weekend for Fall break or HS homecoming, drag'em to the Taj Saturday all day & get them to vote!

Date: October 06, 2011 06:50AM

OK well Schultz has my vote then -if Wittman said that, then screw him, we need strength to stand against this kind of garbage, they are trying to put this in place at all high schools and parents just placate and agree to anything. ("Yes you can put a stockade in my school, sure whatever you say Mr Intelligent Principal") PUKE>

Date: October 06, 2011 09:22AM

Wittman said that he's changed his position in light of information he's received since first stating that he was against them. He did not say that he was for them, just that it needs to be further discussed and that the school board should delay their vote since the new board will have to deal with it's implementation.

Seems reasonable enough, but I'm against the cameras and feel that this is retribution by the current school board and being fast tracked before we vote them all out. Fast track the renovations! They can certainly move when they want to.

Date: October 06, 2011 09:55AM

I agree, thats too much flip flopping on an issue that is indicative of basic philosophy and style.

Posted by: Rock The Vote ()
Date: October 06, 2011 10:59AM

logicaldog Wrote:
> OK well Schultz has my vote then -if Wittman said
> that, then screw him, we need strength to stand
> against this kind of garbage, they are trying to
> put this in place at all high schools and parents
> just placate and agree to anything. ("Yes you can
> put a stockade in my school, sure whatever you say
> Mr Intelligent Principal") PUKE>

+1

on some stuff, logicaldog, i don't get you but you had me at stockade. this is a no-brainer and seems so obvious that we don't need the fcps gestapo taping our kids' every move. what the hell is the matter with people? protest wall street but allow jack-anista [+1 to whoever wrote that, not taking credit just using because that is hysterically funny!] booted thugs to watch our kids motions in hopes of catching them?
i'll see your puke and raise you a vomit.

Posted by: we've been played ()
Date: October 07, 2011 12:33AM

Spartan Wrote:

> Seems reasonable enough, but I'm against the
> cameras and feel that this is retribution by the
> current school board and being fast tracked before
> we vote them all out. Fast track the renovations!
> They can certainly move when they want to.

The cameras are just another diversion, just like the annual boundary study somewhere in FCPS. Makes lots of noise, gets everyone fired up, but in the end it diverts attention from the slow, steady decline of FCPS. We failed to make the NCLB benchmarks this year - that was forgotten like last week's snowday. Trot out the fill-in-the-blank issue [cameras, boundary, renovations, SLEEP] to distract all the parents from the real failures of the schools. You don't have a 20+ person PR department for nothing - we've been played for the last decade. It's been very cynical - the SB has intentionally picked very divisive fights like Clifton to keeps everyone's attention away from what is really happening.

Date: October 07, 2011 07:03AM

That's quite a theory but I don"t think it's that complicated or organized. We have too many savvy , educated people in FFX County to to all be "played" on such a large scale. Rather, I think we have a school board full of amature politicicans, some with aspirations to higher office who do an abysmal job of managing a school system of this size and pander to the fringe groups. I do believe that some communities have been played. I can speak to events in my district at the hands of the Springfield SB rep. such as the closing of Clifton and and forcing another 10 year delay for the renovations of WSHS.

Date: October 07, 2011 07:25AM

I don't think its a diversion, I think it is a well defined path that they have NEVER strayed from. I have been watching this system since 1996 when we entered it and there are no surprises here. It is quite simple (and I felt it yesterday as I focused on how we were feeling when we had to -Oh NO- try to go to our school at 6 PM to get something out of my son's locker) they care about the BUILDING, they care about POWER. As we both felt the degree of anxiety over two things that should be SMALL in context- what if, OMG we didn't have our homework????? The "consequences" are so severe your life is over. (when I went to school if you didn't have your homework, duh-you did it the next day), for my son it would require GRAVE conseqences. RICIULOUS!!!Then I realized that you can't get into the school-NOT because they are concerned about your security, they use that as an EXCUSE for every civil liberty that they kick to the side of the road, they are about the condition of the building and the janitors. When I went to school there were employees that cleaned up after you at lunch. Hey thats your tax dollars at work. Now we would NEVER ask the cleaning staff to do such a thing yet our children do it everyday. The system is broken, terribly broken at the level of basic culture and I raise your VOMIT to whatever comes after vomit?

Date: October 07, 2011 09:19AM

logicaldog Wrote:
> I don't think its a diversion, I think it is a
> well defined path that they have NEVER strayed
> from. I have been watching this system since 1996
> when we entered it and there are no surprises
> here. It is quite simple (and I felt it yesterday
> as I focused on how we were feeling when we had to
> -Oh NO- try to go to our school at 6 PM to get
> something out of my son's locker) they care about
> the BUILDING, they care about POWER. As we both
> felt the degree of anxiety over two things that
> should be SMALL in context- what if, OMG we didn't
> have our homework????? The "consequences" are so
> severe your life is over. (when I went to school
> if you didn't have your homework, duh-you did it
> the next day), for my son it would require GRAVE
> conseqences. RICIULOUS!!!Then I realized that you
> can't get into the school-NOT because they are
> concerned about your security, they use that as an
> EXCUSE for every civil liberty that they kick to
> the side of the road, they are about the condition
> of the building and the janitors. When I went to
> school there were employees that cleaned up after
> you at lunch. Hey thats your tax dollars at work.
> Now we would NEVER ask the cleaning staff to do
> such a thing yet our children do it everyday. The
> system is broken, terribly broken at the level of
> basic culture and I raise your VOMIT to whatever
> comes after vomit?

+1 LOL. Sad but EVERY word is so true. To clarify "our children do it every day," the satff don't even require the students, even in first grade, to wash their hands after wiping down the lunch tables with a re-used sponge and bucket of water. One year an inspired teacher had my student's class clean the entire classroom just as the janitors would do in some misguided effort to teach them respect for the janitors. There had been no incident of disrespect prior to this enrichment. I see your vomit and raise you bile.

Date: October 07, 2011 09:41AM

+1

Posted by: done it! ()
Date: October 07, 2011 04:26PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> In-person absentee voting started Monday at the
> Taj Mahal and will be open on Saturday.
>
> There are lots of reason that justify absentee
> voting, e.g.,if you work outside the County, you
> could qualify.
>
> Beats the hell out of standing in line on November
> 8.
>
> If your college kid is coming home this weekend
> for Fall break or HS homecoming, drag'em to the
> Taj Saturday all day & get them to vote!

I happily filled in my absentee ballot this week - travel out of town all the time for work. I'm happy to say I did not vote for a single incumbent on the SB - rip it out branch and root, and start over.

Posted by: Valor ()
Date: October 07, 2011 10:49PM

Virginia Coalition for Open Government Announces the 2011 Laurence E. Richardson award for individual citizen contributions to open government.

http://www.opengovva.org/images/stories/2011awardsrelease.pdf

If they are on the School Board right now, vote them out.

Congratulations to the Clifton community for exhibiting valor in the face of government officials' refusal to comply with open government.
Attachments:
Virginia Coalition for Open Government 2011 Awards Release.png

Posted by: Goodnight Moon ()
Date: October 10, 2011 12:36PM

...Goodnight Dale

Goodnight Moon
Good night voters skipping over the Moon

Goodnight Smith
And your PR myth

Goodnight glares
Goodnight hand-picked committee chairs

Goodnight pay-freeze
And goodnight O.E.s

Goodnight boundary shocks
And goodnight constituent mocks

Goodnight big Gatehouse
And goodnight Strauss

Goodnight Gibson
And goodnight Bradsher, into you goes a fork

Goodnight nobody
Goodnight accomplish-mush Storck

And goodnight to the cameras
spying on kids

Goodnight czars
Goodnight closing-achievement-gap airs
Goodnight misteps everywhere

Date: October 10, 2011 01:59PM

Did Clifton Day yesterday and saw a nothing but a sea of Schultz supporters. If there was any question before there is none now.
I lost count of how many people who had Mardsen or Hugo or Barker or Baker stickers but almost all had Schultz stickers or tee-shirts.

Posted by: Moby ()
Date: October 10, 2011 03:00PM

FairfaxNative Wrote:
> Did Clifton Day yesterday and saw a nothing but a
> sea of Schultz supporters. If there was any
> question before there is none now.
> I lost count of how many people who had Mardsen or
> Hugo or Barker or Baker stickers but almost all
> had Schultz stickers or tee-shirts.

Cool. I'm guessing the Schultz tee-shirts only come in XL, XXL and XXXL?

Posted by: Laughing ()
Date: October 10, 2011 03:04PM

Moby Wrote:
> FairfaxNative Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Did Clifton Day yesterday and saw a nothing but
> a
> > sea of Schultz supporters. If there was any
> > question before there is none now.
> > I lost count of how many people who had Mardsen
> or
> > Hugo or Barker or Baker stickers but almost all
> > had Schultz stickers or tee-shirts.
>
> Cool. I'm guessing the Schultz tee-shirts only
> come in XL, XXL and XXXL?

Special VDCSM ("Volvo-Drivin' Clifton Soccer Mom") sizing -- XL is marked as "S"; XXL as "M"; XXXL as "Super-M".

Date: October 10, 2011 03:27PM

What? Mostly kids. Lots of them, little kids, young kids, teens. Parents don't put kids in tee-shirts of someone they don't support. Some moms did wear them.

More people had Schultz stickers than any other person running for office, maybe combined.

Date: October 10, 2011 04:20PM

FairfaxNative Wrote:
> What? Mostly kids. Lots of them, little kids,
> young kids, teens. Parents don't put kids in
> tee-shirts of someone they don't support. Some
> moms did wear them.
>
> More people had Schultz stickers than any other
> person running for office, maybe combined.

If only there was a large empty building around Clifton somewhere for all of her supporters to meet in. Oh, wait.

Posted by: Great Goodnight! ()
Date: October 10, 2011 04:24PM

Love the wonderful Goodnight Moon poem! Thanks!

Posted by: Kaplan Course ()
Date: October 10, 2011 04:48PM

According to a local paper, Sheree Brown-Kaplan recently claimed that 50% of TJ's students leave the school and don't finish. Totally, completely off-the-mark wrong. She really has no business running for School Board is she's this confused about one of the county's schools.

Date: October 10, 2011 04:49PM

Kaplan Course Wrote:
> According to a local paper, Sheree Brown-Kaplan
> recently claimed that 50% of TJ's students leave
> the school and don't finish. Totally, completely
> off-the-mark wrong. She really has no business
> running for School Board is she's this confused
> about one of the county's schools.

Do you have a link for that? That's just batshit crazy if she said that.

Posted by: Kaplan Course ()
Date: October 10, 2011 07:12PM

Laughing Wrote:
> Do you have a link for that? That's just batshit
> crazy if she said that.

http://mclean.patch.com/articles/fairfax-school-board-at-large-candidates-promise-change

Date: October 10, 2011 07:14PM

Kaplan Course Wrote:
> Laughing Wrote:
> -----
> > Do you have a link for that? That's just
> batshit
> > crazy if she said that.
>
> http://mclean.patch.com/articles/fairfax-school-bo
> ard-at-large-candidates-promise-change

Wow; thanks. Looking forward to her walking THAT back.

Posted by: Gatehouse2? enough said ()
Date: October 10, 2011 08:06PM

Kaplan Course Wrote:
> Laughing Wrote:
> -----
> > Do you have a link for that? That's just
> batshit
> > crazy if she said that.
>
> http://mclean.patch.com/articles/fairfax-school-bo
> ard-at-large-candidates-promise-change

i read the article....some of these people are clueless. Obviously never even read the budgets. FCPS has a program review called QPAS. At one point it had contiguous groupings on the CIP. Domemech. Did the board use these tools? Nope. Lolita is OK?

Posted by: Springfield Man ()
Date: October 10, 2011 08:44PM

I don't understand why Sheree is running at all either. She does not have a charisma, Probably should just have a drink and chill out at her home. What kinda jazz is she talking about 50% ppl out of TJ are dropping out or not finishing. Get her out of this ballot !!

Date: October 10, 2011 09:03PM

Kaplan Course Wrote:
> According to a local paper, Sheree Brown-Kaplan recently claimed that 50% of TJ's students leave the school and don't finish. Totally, completely off-the-mark wrong. She really has no business running for School Board is she's this confused about one of the county's schools.<

The Patch "transcript" is a mess, as usual. Brown-Kaplan may have been referring to the TJ drop out rate of Mount Vernon and West Potomac students,

Sheree is a highly regarded expert on special education who has been endorsed by both unions and FZTR.

Posted by: Black HP ()
Date: October 11, 2011 01:21AM

I have noticed when a candidate is making headway against the "FCPS-way" (Jack Dale and current same-minded School Board members), that the attacks like the one above on Ms. Brown-Kaplan begin.

The Patch is hardly a beacon of journalistic standards. I had a difficult time even reading the story because it was so riddled with typos, partial thoughts and similar errors.

While stories like this are interesting, meeting the candidates is more important. Seeing how they interact, answer questions and relate to the public is much better than a pseudo news outlet soundbiting candidate's positions.

Posted by: Wondered ()
Date: October 11, 2011 09:00AM

Thomas More Wrote:
> Kaplan Course Wrote:
> -----
> > According to a local paper, Sheree Brown-Kaplan
> recently claimed that 50% of TJ's students leave
> the school and don't finish. Totally, completely
> off-the-mark wrong. She really has no business
> running for School Board is she's this confused
> about one of the county's schools.<
>
> The Patch "transcript" is a mess, as usual.
> Brown-Kaplan may have been referring to the TJ
> drop out rate of Mount Vernon and West Potomac
> students,
>
> Sheree is a highly regarded expert on special
> education who has been endorsed by both unions and
> FZTR.

I also wondered if Brown-Kaplan meant Mount Vernon and West Potomac students who are admitted to TJ drop out at roughly a 50% rate. Is this true? Not for every year, probably.

Posted by: WSHS Parent ()
Date: October 13, 2011 09:28AM

Hello West Springfield Community,

Both Springfield School Board candidates Elizabeth Schultz and John Wittman attended the Springfield School Board candidate forum hosted by the West Springfield High School PTSA on Monday October 3 at WSHS.

In addition to a wide variety of educational issue questions, we asked each candidate what specifically they would do if elected to accelerate the pace of school renovations given that WSHS is not projected to be fully renovated until 2019.

Wittman stated he did not believe current CIP funding is sufficient for all the FCPS school assets. He described himself as a consensus builder who pledged to work together with both the Board of Supervisors and the School Board to try to increase CIP funding via increased bonding.

Wittman also thinks FCPS should implement a “design build” approach for high school renovations because renovation projects could be completed quicker while FCPS could still maintain design specification control.

Schultz also favors implementing design build planning to accelerate renovations and also believes that more investment needs to be made in the CIP. But she does not support increasing CIP budgets via more funding from the Board of Supervisors. Instead, she advocates pursuing potential new private sector and federal and state funding sources to complement existing CIP funding.

Schultz believes Fairfax should seek new private sector funding sources including public/private partnerships. She mentioned that she is already proactively meeting with private sector leaders including Gary Jones, Youth for Tomorrow CEO and former FCPS School Board member, to “innovate on ideas” to identify new ideas, approaches and revenue streams to accelerate school renovations.

Schultz also stated that leveraging historical preservation organizations including the National Trust for Historic Preservation and Preservation Virginia can provide an additional funding source to renovate older schools.

Also, here are results of the SOAR candidate survey to Chairman, Springfield and Braddock District Board of Supervisors and candidates, School Board candidates and also At Large School Board candidates to assess candidates’ awareness of and positions on the WSHS facility issue.

We asked the following Yes/No questions:

1. Do you support the 2011 School Bond?

2. Are you familiar with the present FCPS timeline to fully renovate West Springfield High School no earlier than 2019?

3. Do you support increasing the capital budget to take advantage of low cost of money and improved construction costs?

4. As an elected official, can the West Springfield High School community count on your support to accelerate the renovation on or before its 50th anniversary in 2016?

5. Do you support creative ways to help renovate schools?

6. Would you be willing to visit West Springfield High School prior to the election to see the condition students, faculty and administrative staff encounter every day?

We received the following candidate responses who all answered “yes” to all questions:

Pat Herrity – Springfield Board of Supervisors

John Cook – Braddock Board of Supervisors

Sharon Bulova – Chairman, Board of Supervisors

John Wittman & Elizabeth Schultz – Candidates, Springfield School Board

Nell Hurley – Candidate, Braddock School Board

Candidates, School Board At Large:

o Sheree Brown-Kaplan

o Lolita Mancheno-Smoak

o Ryan McElveen

o Ilryong Moon

o Steve Stuban

o Ted Velkoff

Pat Herrity, John Cook, John Wittman, Elizabeth Schultz, Nell Hurley, Sheree Brown-Kaplan and Steve Stuban provided additional comments, positions and thoughts on the CIP and the West Springfield High School facility issue. We’ve included all this feedback on the front page of our website - http://www.soarwestspringfield.com/

We received no reply from the following candidates:

· Janet Oleszek – Candidate, Braddock Board of Supervisors

· Spike Williams – Candidate, Chairman Board of Supervisors

· Megan McLaughlin – Candidate, Braddock School Board

We were unable to contact At Large School Board candidate Lin-Dai Kendall because there is no email address listed on her campaign website.

Check out our website for more details on candidate responses to our survey.

SOAR West Springfield

http://www.soarwestspringfield.com/

Posted by: who cares about SOAR? ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:49AM

Nobody cares about SOAR-they do not represent WSHS well.

Bring in new leadership-cut the ties to Bradsher-and then maybe we will care what you say.

Your selfish actions against the Clifton community pretty much define what kind of people you are.

Date: October 13, 2011 11:57AM

who cares about SOAR? Wrote:
> Nobody cares about SOAR-they do not represent WSHS
> well.
>
> Bring in new leadership-cut the ties to
> Bradsher-and then maybe we will care what you
> say.
>
> Your selfish actions against the Clifton community
> pretty much define what kind of people you are

That was kind of my point in posting the e letter. Plus I think some of the comments by the candidates were mischaracterized.

Posted by: H8 CLIFTON ()
Date: October 13, 2011 12:22PM

who cares about SOAR? Wrote:
>
> Your selfish actions against the Clifton community
> pretty much define what kind of people you are.

SELF INFLICTED!

Posted by: Not a pretty visual ()
Date: October 13, 2011 05:27PM

Epic Fail.

Can't put a sign in right? Probably shouldn't be elected to the office.
Attachments:
Kendall Epic Fail Sign Install.png

Posted by: Ki1ton ()
Date: October 13, 2011 09:27PM

lol, I'm turning them all upside down.

Date: October 14, 2011 11:52AM

WSHS Parent Wrote:
> who cares about SOAR? Wrote:
> -----
> > Nobody cares about SOAR-they do not represent
> WSHS
> > well.
> >
> > Bring in new leadership-cut the ties to
> > Bradsher-and then maybe we will care what you
> > say.
> >
> > Your selfish actions against the Clifton
> community
> > pretty much define what kind of people you are
>
>
> That was kind of my point in posting the e letter.
> Plus I think some of the comments by the
> candidates were mischaracterized.

Mischaracterized is an understatment! Completely inaccurate is more like it. Sounds like Bradsher dictated that letter as well.

Date: October 14, 2011 09:23PM

Spartan Wrote:
> WSHS Parent Wrote:
> -----
> > who cares about SOAR? Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Nobody cares about SOAR-they do not represent
> > WSHS
> > > well.
> > >
> > > Bring in new leadership-cut the ties to
> > > Bradsher-and then maybe we will care what you
> > > say.
> > >
> > > Your selfish actions against the Clifton
> > community
> > > pretty much define what kind of people you
> are
> >
> >
> > That was kind of my point in posting the e
> letter.
> > Plus I think some of the comments by the
> > candidates were mischaracterized.
>
> Mischaracterized is an understatment! Completely
> inaccurate is more like it. Sounds like Bradsher
> dictated that letter as well.

Spartans: better pay attention. Don't be sold a bill of goods by an exiting school board member with a chip on her shoulder.

Found this and want the right person. Let's look at real backers who have put their name out there to support canidacies.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/68501982/Press-Release-Schultz-Campaign-Announces-Stuart-Mendelsohn-Endorsement-10-12-11

Date: October 14, 2011 11:49PM

WSHS1981, Explain please. I read the release and seem to be missing your point. What "existing school board member" are you referring to?

Posted by: WSHS '89 ()
Date: October 15, 2011 11:02AM

Spartan,

WSHS 1981 said EXITing school board member, not existing. The exiting school board member is Bradsher.

I agree with WSHS1981 - Schultz is the right person for the job. If anyone can get WSHS renovated in a timely fashion, it will be Schultz. Wittman's answer when asked about getting WSHS moved up on the queue was wishy washy at best and I really didn't like when he commented that "some schools will just have to wait their turn". New school construction comes first, then overcrowding, then renovations.

So, if the County decides it needs another new school (SOCO MS?!?), WSHS will get bumped again? Or, if we suddenly have a bunch of overcrowded schools because of more immigrants coming to the county, WSHS will be bumped again? I want a guarantee that WSHS is a priority, not an afterthought. Schultz is making WSHS a priority.

Date: October 15, 2011 11:18AM

WSHS '89 Wrote:
> Spartan,
>
> WSHS 1981 said EXITing school board member, not
> existing. The exiting school board member is
> Bradsher.
>
> I agree with WSHS1981 - Schultz is the right
> person for the job. If anyone can get WSHS
> renovated in a timely fashion, it will be Schultz.
> Wittman's answer when asked about getting WSHS
> moved up on the queue was wishy washy at best and
> I really didn't like when he commented that "some
> schools will just have to wait their turn". New
> school construction comes first, then
> overcrowding, then renovations.
>
> So, if the County decides it needs another new
> school (SOCO MS?!?), WSHS will get bumped again?
> Or, if we suddenly have a bunch of overcrowded
> schools because of more immigrants coming to the
> county, WSHS will be bumped again? I want a
> guarantee that WSHS is a priority, not an
> afterthought. Schultz is making WSHS a priority.

So which schools in the queue should get bumped to move WSHS up? which schools should WSHS leapfrog?

Posted by: Thoughts ()
Date: October 15, 2011 12:49PM

Maybe Langley. They took our money already for an addition they didn't need. Now schools like Fairfax HS are exploding and there's no extra capacity in the western part of the county, where there should be another high school.

Date: October 15, 2011 05:07PM

WSHS '89 Wrote:
> Spartan,
>
> WSHS 1981 said EXITing school board member, not
> existing. The exiting school board member is
> Bradsher.
>
> I agree with WSHS1981 - Schultz is the right
> person for the job. If anyone can get WSHS
> renovated in a timely fashion, it will be Schultz.
> Wittman's answer when asked about getting WSHS
> moved up on the queue was wishy washy at best and
> I really didn't like when he commented that "some
> schools will just have to wait their turn". New
> school construction comes first, then
> overcrowding, then renovations.
>
> So, if the County decides it needs another new
> school (SOCO MS?!?), WSHS will get bumped again?
> Or, if we suddenly have a bunch of overcrowded
> schools because of more immigrants coming to the
> county, WSHS will be bumped again? I want a
> guarantee that WSHS is a priority, not an
> afterthought. Schultz is making WSHS a priority.

EXIT..ing! Don't usually come on here that late and for good reason apparently. Although, I don't know how anyone would assume by my post what candidate I am for.
I AM a Schultz supporter for all the reasons listed and then some. Schultz's statments at the WSHS PTSA forum were grossly "mischaracterized" by SOAR.

Posted by: Schultz will WIN ()
Date: October 15, 2011 05:17PM

Go Elizabeth!

Date: October 15, 2011 05:33PM

to Spartan: Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I assumed you were for anyone. Guess I'm just really hoping that Schultz is elected. I don't think Wittman will do anything for WSHS or the district in general and this whole situation with WSHS getting bumped and now not getting anything more than "planning" money is incredibly frustrating. By the time this school is renovated, it will be crumbling down.

to Thomas More: Sorry, I also didn't mean to imply that WSHS should jump ahead of anyone. But, if ti makes more sense to renovate WSHS before another school that is on the queue (with TRUE,transparent data, not the crap FCPS pulled on Clifton and with SOCO MS), then I think the renovation queue needs to be looked at again.

I think Schultz is willing to do the work necessary to bring in outside funding from the private sector and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. I think those options should be looked at for a number of schools throughout the county in order to accelerate renovations. If FCPS can get help with some of the costs from the NTHP specifically for WSHS because of the age of the school, then I think that should be done asap while costs are still low.

Date: October 15, 2011 07:23PM

Bradsher talked up public private funding too when she was first elected then DROPPED THE BALL for the sake of her community and SCMS. Do you remember the independant consultant hired by facilities to study the need for renovation? How relieved we were that the consultant found that WSHS should be moved to the top of renovation queue. FCPS did not like those findings so Tistadt, most likely at the behest of Bradsher, changed the criteria for renovation. Now we have Albo and Bradsher sending out campaign literature and applauding themselves for planning money that is not even guaranteed to go to WSHS and is ten years overdue.

Posted by: Liz Bradsher will rot in hell ()
Date: October 15, 2011 08:42PM

Liz is a trader and a liar.

I always try to teach my kids right from wrong. She is a bad example for the FCPS. The SB knew about her evil ways and so did Jack Dale. How come know one tried to keep her in line. This is the reason why FCPS is in the shit can.

I cannot wait till our new SB rights the wrong of our past. A fire has been lit and we will have change.

Date: October 15, 2011 09:59PM

>Do you remember the independant consultant hired by facilities to study the need >for renovation? How relieved we were that the consultant found that WSHS should >be moved to the top of renovation queue. FCPS did not like those findings so >Tistadt, most likely at the behest of Bradsher, changed the criteria for >renovation.

That is exactly what Schultz brought up during the forum last week when Bradsher was sitting in the back of the room and said "NO!" Do you remember that? Right in the middle of Schultz's answer, Bradsher practically yells no at her. Kudos to Schultz, she didn't miss a beat. I guess Bradsher can add heckling to her resume.

Why was Bradsher even there? Unless she was there to support Wittman. Moon is running again, so I can see why he would attend, but why did Bradsher feel the need to be there?

Bradsher is a coward. As the sitting board member for Springfield, she should have been there during the discussion about the cameras. Instead, she conveniently arrives after that discussion is over and the candidates already have the floor. Nice.

Date: October 15, 2011 10:12PM

That is exactly what Schultz brought up during the forum last week when Bradsher was sitting in the back of the room and said "NO!" Do you remember that? Right in the middle of Schultz's answer, Bradsher practically yells no at her. Kudos to Schultz, she didn't miss a beat.

Noooo!!?? I did not hear that. How could I have missed it, and yet I have no doubt. That would not have been the first time I've witnessed Liz shouting and pointing at someone giving a speech.

Posted by: Liar... ()
Date: October 15, 2011 10:16PM

You didn't hear cuz poster isn't telling the truth, just like Schultz, untruthful.

Posted by: Shennanigans ()
Date: October 16, 2011 11:54AM

Leisure Reader,
Can you explain to everyone as to how Elizabeth and Shree have more knowledge than other candidates. Can you even describe one thing that Shree has done in public for you to state such a stmt. In my mind just having an open debate doesn't make one very knowledgeable about "every" issue. I believe that every candidate is knowledgeable about every issue and you cannot take sides. I would like to be enlightened.

Posted by: Go AWAY Liz ()
Date: October 18, 2011 12:04AM

Liar... Wrote:
> You didn't hear cuz poster isn't telling the
> truth, just like Schultz, untruthful.

Schultz was absolutely accurate. Bradsher STILL tries to continue to delude herself and our WSHS parents and alum circles.

Subject

5.08 Award of Contract - Authorize staff to negotiate professional services contracts for the facility program and condition assessment of the renovation queue with selected architectural firms and authorize the Division Superintendent, or his designee, to execute the contract on behalf of the School Board (FTS; presented as new business 4/10/08)

Meeting

Apr 24, 2008 - Regular Meeting No. 18

Category

5. Consent Agenda - 8:45 p.m.

Type

Action (Consent)

Recommended Action

To approve the consent agenda

Staff Contact: Dean A. Tistadt, Chief Operating Officer, Facilities and Transportation Services

Meeting Type: April 24, 2008 - Regular Meeting No. 18

SUBJECT: Award of Contract

TYPE: Action

BACKGROUND:

The Selection Advisory Committee (SAC) received proposals from 14 architectural firms on March 24, 2008. The SAC evaluated the proposals and ranked the firms in accordance with the criteria set forth in the current version of School Board Policy 8220. The SAC recommends negotiation with the top-ranked firm and negotiation with the second ranked firm in the event that successful negotiations cannot be completed with the top-ranked firm. The firms are listed below in rank order.
Firm:
Samaha Associates, P.C
Davis, Carter, Scott Ltd.
BerryRio
Gilbert Architects Inc.
Fanning/Howey Associates, Inc.
Architecture Inc.
The Marshall Group, Ltd.
Peck Peck Associates, Inc.
Little Diversified Architectural Consulting
Crabtree Rohrbaugh & Associates, Architects
Settles Associates, Inc. Hess Construction + Engineering Services, Inc.
Swanke Hayden Connell Architects
John Hugh McLean III Architects LLC

RECOMMENDATION:
That the School Board authorizes staff to negotiate professional services contracts for the facility program and condition assessment of the renovation queue with selected architectural firms and authorize the Division Superintendent, or his designee, to execute the contract on behalf of the School Board.

Final report rankings showing WSHS should be #2:
http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/legacy-content/867BYF242E2C/$FILE/Final%20Rankings.pdf

Date: October 18, 2011 08:45AM

5.I move to add the following language to the Student Discipline position (Hone):
•The Fairfax County School Board supports requiring school principals or their designees to notify, except in exigent circumstances, the parent or legal guardian of any student, prior to questioning that student regarding their direct involvement in activities that could be deemed a violation of the student code of conduct, if the principals or their designees reasonably believe that the violation is serious enough that it could result in a disciplinary penalty of suspension for 10 days or longer, recommendation expulsion, or criminal charges.
•The Superintendent or his designee shall not be authorized to support or oppose any specific legislation or provision in legislation that is not expressly included in the annual legislative program adopted by the School Board.

Date: October 18, 2011 10:04AM

"Changes to Disciplinary Actions -- Parent Notification Changes to Discipline Policy - Parental Notification by policy and/or legislative means is absolutely essential at the earliest possible opportunity"

Schultz's answer to PTA County Council survey.

Date: October 18, 2011 10:09AM

Forgot to add, Wittman doesn't have parental rights/notification or discipline policy as any priority.

Posted by: Tim Kendall ()
Date: October 18, 2011 02:29PM

I have to admit that I don't see well after dark. I've offered my resignation as a sign planter, but Lin-Dai has relaxed her zero-tolerance policy and given me another chance.

Tim Kendall
Fairfax Station

Date: October 18, 2011 10:22PM

WSHS Parent Wrote:
> 5.I move to add the following language to the
> Student Discipline position (Hone):
> •The Fairfax County School Board supports
> requiring school principals or their designees to
> notify, except in exigent circumstances, the
> parent or legal guardian of any student, prior to
> questioning that student regarding their direct
> involvement in activities that could be deemed a
> violation of the student code of conduct, if the
> principals or their designees reasonably believe
> that the violation is serious enough that it could
> result in a disciplinary penalty of suspension for
> 10 days or longer, recommendation expulsion, or
> criminal charges.
> •The Superintendent or his designee shall not be
> authorized to support or oppose any specific
> legislation or provision in legislation that is
> not expressly included in the annual legislative
> program adopted by the School Board.

The school board votes on these agenda items on November 10th, two days after the election. Anyone have a problem with that?

Posted by: speculatin ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:01AM

The school board votes on these agenda items on November 10th, two days after the election. Anyone have a problem with that?

Reed and Evans will vote with Hone.
Center,Raney, and Storck will probably vote with Hone.
Moon might vote with Hone.
Wilson will not vote with Hone.
Gibson will never vote with Hone.
Smith and Strauss will vote with Hone if they win in a close race. They will not vote with Hone if they win big or if they lose.

I don't have a problem with this if it passes. It is Hone's last effort to put some integrity into this board. It would have a better chance of passing had it been voted before the election.

Posted by: FFXCOUNTYGRAD ()
Date: October 19, 2011 09:37AM

Moon, Wilson, Gibson, Smith, and Strauss will never vote for this, and good for them... The schools have worked for ages with the ability to question students before contacting parents, the language of this legislation puts students at risk. Students who are bringing drugs/guns/fighting/bullying kids deserve to be questioned, the due process system is broken, but you people want to create a culture where bringing narcotics to school is a smack on the wrist if anything at all, how is that doing anything to improve the education of Fairfax County students... There are things that need to be addressed with the SRR but not giving administrators any power to protect their students is crap!

Posted by: exigent circumstances ()
Date: October 19, 2011 10:00AM

"exigent circumstances" would certainly qualify as those circumstnaces when students are in danger. I don't think anyone thinks that a "slap on the wrist" is appropriate in those times. However, a parent deserves to be notified if their child is being accused of life changing behavior.

And, I do believe that expulsion can be an appropriate punishment, but, from what I have heard and read there should be common sense used. Common sense does not appear to have been used in the Stuban case. Or the case of the Chantilly student who was expelled for mild graffiti.

Posted by: LRRfolk ()
Date: October 19, 2011 10:10AM

A woman candidate's husband didn't just come on an underground blog and apologize for putting up a sign, right? Please say it isn't so?
There is no crying in politics. And no husbands making apologies on blogs for their wives.
None.

Posted by: Informed Voter ()
Date: October 19, 2011 10:13AM

FFXCOUNTYGRAD Wrote:
> Moon, Wilson, Gibson, Smith, and Strauss will
> never vote for this, and good for them... The
> schools have worked for ages with the ability to
> question students before contacting parents, the
> language of this legislation puts students at
> risk. Students who are bringing
> drugs/guns/fighting/bullying kids deserve to be
> questioned, the due process system is broken, but
> you people want to create a culture where bringing
> narcotics to school is a smack on the wrist if
> anything at all, how is that doing anything to
> improve the education of Fairfax County
> students... There are things that need to be
> addressed with the SRR but not giving
> administrators any power to protect their students
> is crap!

You are an FCPS grad like the moon is made out of blue cheese.

The little PR goons in Fall Church better stop playing on FFU and get their resumes ready.

Posted by: Fight Fascism ()
Date: October 19, 2011 10:15AM

FFXCOUNTYGRAD Wrote:
> Moon, Wilson, Gibson, Smith, and Strauss will
> never vote for this, and good for them... The
> schools have worked for ages with the ability to
> question students before contacting parents, the
> language of this legislation puts students at
> risk. Students who are bringing
> drugs/guns/fighting/bullying kids deserve to be
> questioned, the due process system is broken, but
> you people want to create a culture where bringing
> narcotics to school is a smack on the wrist if
> anything at all, how is that doing anything to
> improve the education of Fairfax County
> students... There are things that need to be
> addressed with the SRR but not giving
> administrators any power to protect their students
> is crap!

You are grossly misinformed. Parental notification is just that. It does not deny the school the opportunity to question students, it requires the parents/guardians of MINORS to be NOTIFIED. Students who have done nothing wrong have been interrogated for hours and coerced to sign statments about other students. Being against that does not mean one supports narcotics and firearms being a "smack on the wrist."

Posted by: FFXCOUNTYGRAD ()
Date: October 19, 2011 10:26AM

I sure am a Fairfax County Grad, first graduating class of Westfield, when Dale Rumberger was there, but whatever.

I am not misinformed, whats changed in the past years that causes need for parents to be informed the second their child is taken into the security office... Bottom line is it does deny the school the ability to ask questions as something is going on, to stop a fight, or a drug sale, or abuse before it happens, or continues... Do there need to be limits yes, but what I'm saying is this piece of legislation is not the answer to those problems...

I agree there needs to be common sense in punishment, but I think that people hear half the story in these situations, bottom line is kids know the risk of doing things, if you're bringing drugs to school, you get what you deserve... It needs to take the system less than 6 months to decide a punishment and leave kids in limbo...

Date: October 19, 2011 12:07PM

First, I agree that this PROPOSED legislation is not the answer only because the school board can simply make it POLICY.

Second, the reason it's proposed legislation is found in the rest of the document where Stu Gibson wants to change the law to limit the FIOA. THAT is outrageous!

Date: October 19, 2011 01:37PM

Parental notification is basic, a starting place, I don't think FFXCOUNTYGRAD is a parent, I cannot imagine any good parent wanting their student questionned when they, or an attorney is not present. Usually these offenses having nothing to do with danger or safety they are vendettas.

Date: October 19, 2011 02:40PM

And here it is...

Board Member Proposed Amendments:

1.I move to add the following position: School Board Elections - The Fairfax County School Board supports granting authority to the Fairfax County School Board to allow its members to be elected for staggered terms. (Gibson)
2.I move to add the following language to the Standards of Accreditation and Standards of Learning position: The Fairfax County School Board supports Standards of Learning and SOL curriculum guidelines that strike an appropriate balance between a broad overview of a subject area and in-depth exploration of components within, and interrelationships between, subject areas. (Center)
3.I move to add the following language (underlined) to the Freedom of Information Act position (Wilson):
•The Fairfax County School Board supports revision and amendment of the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and companion regulations, such as those issued by the Library of Virginia regarding records retention, in order to achieve the appropriate balance between the considerable investment in time and money required for compliance and ensuring the people of the Commonwealth ready access to public records. Revision and amendment are particularly important in light of the growth of the use of electronic communications to communicate more quickly and efficiently with the public, including but not limited to web pages and “social media.”
•The FCSB supports the creation of a “third party disclosure” FOIA exemption. For example, when one citizen emails another without writing or copying a public body, and that private email is subsequently forwarded to a public body with a message, a third party disclosure exemption would exempt the original private email from disclosure in response to a FOIA request.
•The FCSB supports specifically allowing for reimbursement for the costs of redaction that are mandated or allowed by other federal and state statutes (e.g. redactions required under FERPA, etc.)
•The FCSB supports changes to the current FOIA exemptions for human resources investigations and to the provisions of the Government Data Collection and Dissemination Practices Act to clarify that the subject of the an investigation may only access investigative report materials once the investigation is complete, and that witness names may be redacted from the final report.

Posted by: I have a question ()
Date: October 19, 2011 04:04PM

With Stu's amendment--who gets to choose which board members get "re-elected first?" If it is our SB, I'm sure they will do it according to who wins and loses this election.

Center's amendment might be well-intentioned but has no meaning. It's just words.

Wilson's amendment is particularly dangerous.

Posted by: The Last Emperor Must Go ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:53AM

Bright he is not. Didn't even click through on his own ad to up the views to +1
Attachments:
Ryan Mc campaign ad zero views.PNG

Posted by: WSHS parent ()
Date: October 24, 2011 09:12AM

JohnWittman-SchoolBoardCandidate-SpringfieldDistrict wrote:

10/22/2011 7:19 PM EDT

Thank you to the Washington Post for its endorsement of my election to the Fairfax County School Board. Their one paragraph of endorsement crystalizes the right sense of my efforts to earn the electorates' choice on November 8th. I am most grateful.

FairfaxGOPr wrote:

2:19 AM EDT

"Their one paragraph of endorsement crystalizes the right sense of my efforts"
What?

Hey, Washington Post Editorial Staff: way to go with your Endorsee
"crystallizes"
Super. Way to set the standard in education for Fairfax County.
Goodbye Honors. Hello Vo-Tech.

UUUUGGGGGHHHHH!

Hello surveillance cameras. Good bye any hope for renovations for WSHS before it's 60 years old. Hello elementary students at the bus before dawn... Hello status quo.

Posted by: Springflied ()
Date: October 24, 2011 09:44AM

WSHS parent Wrote:
> JohnWittman-SchoolBoardCandidate-SpringfieldDistri
> ct wrote:
>
> 10/22/2011 7:19 PM EDT
>
> Thank you to the Washington Post for its
> endorsement of my election to the Fairfax County
> School Board. Their one paragraph of endorsement
> crystalizes the right sense of my efforts to earn
> the electorates' choice on November 8th. I am most
> grateful.
>
>
> FairfaxGOPr wrote:
>
> 2:19 AM EDT
>
> "Their one paragraph of endorsement crystalizes
> the right sense of my efforts"
> What?
>
> Hey, Washington Post Editorial Staff: way to go
> with your Endorsee
> "crystallizes"
> Super. Way to set the standard in education for
> Fairfax County.
> Goodbye Honors. Hello Vo-Tech.
>
> UUUUGGGGGHHHHH!
>
> Hello surveillance cameras. Good bye any hope for
> renovations for WSHS before it's 60 years old.
> Hello elementary students at the bus before
> dawn... Hello status quo.

I think Liz Bradsher tutored John Wittman in English Composition. Much of what he writes is unintelligble. From what I can tell, Elizabeth Schultz has some familiarity with the English language.

Posted by: you are idiots ()
Date: October 24, 2011 09:57AM

I still don't think he is going to win.

Posted by: gowrath ()
Date: October 24, 2011 12:43PM

The Post's endorsement of Wittman, crystalizes ... or rather, illustrates, my long-held view that the Post would endorse a pile of horseshit if said pile ran as a Democrat. Truly pathetic in all respects imaginable.

Pages: Previous123456AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 6

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.