HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax County and Hurricane Katrina
Posted by: Katrina Aftermath ()
Date: August 30, 2005 02:50PM

Heard this morning that Fairfax County was sending search and rescue teams down to the gulf. Anyone have a good idea of who to give donations to besides the Red Cross (don't personally care for their policies). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax County and Hurricane Katrina
Posted by: Me ()
Date: August 30, 2005 05:38PM

FEMA has a list of organizations you can donate to at http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=18473

Posted by: bbulzibar ()
Date: August 31, 2005 08:40PM

I took this directly from a wonderful website (posted before the tsunami hit): http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/8/28/231322/317

"Unlike the tsunami, there's no question as to what organization is best suited to deal with this catastrophe in this locale: it's the Red Cross. They've already mobilized people from around the country to head to the Gulf region, and they're the best at dispensing aid, assessing needs and getting reconstruction going. They know what they're doing, and while not infalible, they're quite good. There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

And they don't need clothing, or canned goods or anything else. While your impulse to provide such items is admirable, they are experts at logistics, and working with FEMA and whatever other federal and state agencies are involved, they will get what's needed there in bulk much faster. It's actually very expensive for them to deal with contributions that aren't cash.

It's maybe a little abstract, and possibly not as satisfying as the thought that something you hold in your hand right now could benefit somebody in the disaster area. But the best way to help is to give money to the Red Cross, and to give it now.

Donate by following this link http://www.redcross.com, or donate by phone at 1-800-HELP NOW."

Posted by: Nik ()
Date: September 03, 2005 09:35AM

BUMP

Just because I feel this type of thing is too important for people not to read.

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Posted by: mud ()
Date: September 04, 2005 09:52AM

Catholic Charities has a very good record of low administrative costs -- so more of your dollars will actually get there.

http://www.nvoad.org/membersdb.php?members=National is the page on the FEMA website for a list of approved ones.

Posted by: mud ()
Date: September 04, 2005 12:33PM

This post may cause me to be scorned, but here goes. I was reading the Dave Barry site and he had a link to this site:

http://www.manilowfund.com/

Barry Manilow? Well, it turns out that if you contribute through his site, he'll add double, so if you give $50 he'll give $100.

Posted by: Me ()
Date: September 09, 2005 04:16AM

Bump Again

Speaking of Barry Manilow, he's gonna be in the area filming some benifit thing next week.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 09, 2005 05:58PM

while it's a sad situation, they were told TO LEAVE THE TOWN. not to mention, they live below sea level, it's a pond waiting to happen. they knew the risks of living there and now they lost. i accept that if DC gets nuked, ill probably be vaporized or get leathal radiation if it's just a dirty bomb. they should have left when they were told to do so. oh yes, im soooo heartless. no, i feel bad for them but i still say it's their own fault.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: September 10, 2005 06:11PM

I'm normally heartless in regards to folks swimming in their own stupidity as is the case of the hoards of nins living below sea level. However, I did make a small donation through the Red Cross this time. Not sure why I broke down this time but something struck me.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 13, 2005 07:16PM

PaperPusher,
the media's exageration of this incident is to blame. they try to evoke emotion from people so that they will read/watch their media. nothing new.

i would like to point out that the tsunami was at least 100x worse. if you want to give money to people who really NEED it, give it to support them. US citizens get taken care of, those people dont. even more, a tsunami is random, unlike SEASONAL hurricanes. sure it's bad for them but so many others are more deserving.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: September 14, 2005 01:26PM

No doubt Gravis, but I just have a problem giving cash through the various organizations. it isn't that I'm hearless towards the people needing help but I just don't trust the organizations. Maybe I need to get over my anti-ness and just give and exercise my faith that the right thing will be done.

Posted by: It's good ()
Date: May 06, 2013 08:34PM

All and all giving money to those in need is the tight thing to do.

Posted by: WTHolyF ()
Date: May 07, 2013 02:11AM

Why the bump after more than SEVEN fucking years! By the way what is the "tight thing to do?" Does this mean this is okay after you are fucking drunk on your ass?

Posted by: boobs ()
Date: May 07, 2013 09:09AM

well this topic certainly "Blows"

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.