HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Getting the VA state inspection sticker off my windshield
Posted by: stuck! ()
Date: September 07, 2011 03:13PM

What's the best way to do this without scratching up the dash or windshield, and without making a mess?

And, anyone know how the windshield repair shops are able to transfer the sticker to the new windshield?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting the VA state inspection sticker off my windshield
Posted by: wow ()
Date: September 07, 2011 03:14PM

just get a new one

Posted by: yuo=dummy ()
Date: September 07, 2011 03:15PM

the place where you get the car inspected takes it off.

Posted by: follow the rules ()
Date: September 07, 2011 03:20PM

stuck! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the best way to do this without scratching
> up the dash or windshield, and without making a
> mess?
>
> And, anyone know how the windshield repair shops
> are able to transfer the sticker to the new
> windshield?

So you don't want to mess up the windshield, so you are obviously not replacing a windshield. Other than doing that, I'm trying to think of a valid reason you would want to remove a state inspection sticker, other than to illegally put it on another vehicle.

Posted by: anti-adhesives ()
Date: September 07, 2011 03:26PM

Clean sticker with warm water. Dry. Spray sticker perimeter with WD40. Wait 5 minutes. Remove sticker, beginning with a convenient corner, by concurrently pulling sticker tangentially from windshield plane and spraying newly exposed adhesive surface with more WD40.

Pretty much just go buckwild with WD40 and take your time removing it. No residue will remain, though sticker adhesivity will be lost.

Posted by: The Judge ()
Date: September 07, 2011 03:40PM

Removal of the state inspection sticker in Virginia is punishable by you being taken down to the 12th level of the Remeum by the midgets from Vienna and having your buttocks slashed by the Bunnyman.

Posted by: fairfaxian ()
Date: September 07, 2011 03:43PM

I recently had my windshield replaced the guy simply peeled it off with the help of a razor blade and then stuck it on the new windshield. You'd never know it was moved.

Posted by: skinner ()
Date: September 07, 2011 04:49PM

It is easy to remove them just use a razor scraper and away it goes. Now to transfer one most windshield guys do it after the glass is removed which is much easier on todays cars .

Posted by: I didnt do nothing ()
Date: September 07, 2011 04:52PM

Those stickers can fetch $100 bucks or more in Culmore. Si Habla

Posted by: inspector ()
Date: September 07, 2011 06:14PM

This is why when I do an inspection for a idiot like the op I apply the new sticker then use a razorblade to cut an x and a couple of horizontal lines across the new sticker. These guya are easy to spot - newer car - maybe parents - no sticker - you can see where the old one was - they go around collecting stickers .

Posted by: lolhehe ()
Date: September 08, 2011 02:56AM

lets not forget, ''Inspector''; although you may make pre cuts on the stickers so it will rip when one tries to remove it, you on the flip side sell the stickers on the side to your buddies or let them pass with severe safety issues.. Fuckin hypocrite

Date: September 08, 2011 04:28PM

Never sold a sticker ever never would. Never let anybodys car pass when it should not - I want my friends safe so I will fix it cheap but it will be fixed before it gets a sticker.

Posted by: dickweed ()
Date: September 08, 2011 06:23PM

inspector Wrote:
> Never sold a sticker ever never would. Never let
> anybodys car pass when it should not - I want my
> friends safe so I will fix it cheap but it will be
> fixed before it gets a sticker.

Yeah right. I'm sure you fail your friends if a license plate bulb is out or their wipers are a little worn. I'm sure you don't just take their word for it that they'll replace it.

And I'm sure the customer appreciates that they won't be able to replace the windshield if they subsequently get a crack without having to pay for another inspection. Not to mention the fact that you scratched up their window cause you're a clumsy fool.

Posted by: reality ()
Date: September 08, 2011 10:54PM

Razor Blade - then clean the residue with fingernail polish remover... does a great job.

Posted by: How Do You Know? ()
Date: September 08, 2011 11:03PM

inspector Wrote:
> This is why when I do an inspection for a idiot
> like the op I apply the new sticker then use a
> razorblade to cut an x and a couple of horizontal
> lines across the new sticker. These guya are easy
> to spot - newer car - maybe parents - no sticker -
> you can see where the old one was - they go around
> collecting stickers .

How do you know this information about the OP? Maybe, the OP lives in Maryland and purchased the car in Virginia. But, he / she wants to remove the Virginia safety inspection sticker because they have their own system in Maryland.

It's quite possible that this is the case. That's why one should never ASSume.

Date: September 09, 2011 10:02PM

To dickweed the a-hole I would just fix a tag lamp or a wiper for a friend - no charge - you have problems with inspections because you are a "dickweed"

to the last poster "how do you know" Why would you care about taking the sticker in one piece if you did not want to re-use it? If you moved to MD you would have no use for the sticker so you would just scrape it.

Posted by: How Do You Know? ()
Date: September 09, 2011 10:34PM

inspector Wrote:
>
> to the last poster "how do you know" Why would you
> care about taking the sticker in one piece if you
> did not want to re-use it? If you moved to MD you
> would have no use for the sticker so you would
> just scrape it.

If you re-read the original post, it mentions nothing about taking the sticker off in ONE piece. The OP is asking how to get it off without scratching up the dash or windshield as well as making a mess.

Please, do re-read the original post.

Posted by: youre half right ()
Date: September 09, 2011 10:38PM

How Do You Know? Wrote:
> inspector Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > to the last poster "how do you know" Why would
> you
> > care about taking the sticker in one piece if
> you
> > did not want to re-use it? If you moved to MD
> you
> > would have no use for the sticker so you would
> > just scrape it.
>
>
> If you re-read the original post, it mentions
> nothing about taking the sticker off in ONE piece.
> The OP is asking how to get it off without
> scratching up the dash or windshield as well as
> making a mess.
>
> Please, do re-read the original post.

while he didnt mention that he did make it seem as though he was getting the windshield replaces so who cares if you scratch that. not scratching the dash is easy

Posted by: k ()
Date: September 09, 2011 10:53PM

How Do You Know? Wrote:
> inspector Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > to the last poster "how do you know" Why would
> you
> > care about taking the sticker in one piece if
> you
> > did not want to re-use it? If you moved to MD
> you
> > would have no use for the sticker so you would
> > just scrape it.
>
>
> If you re-read the original post, it mentions
> nothing about taking the sticker off in ONE piece.
> The OP is asking how to get it off without
> scratching up the dash or windshield as well as
> making a mess.
>
> Please, do re-read the original post.

Sooooo, why, exactly, would he/she ask how the windshield repair shops transfer the sticker from one windshield to another??? Yeah, it's probably just because they want to get that pesky sticker off and throw it away. Idiot.

Date: September 10, 2011 12:46AM

op mentions transfering the sticker - which I ASSume to be one piece - hell maybe I am wrong and they put a piece in each corner of the windshield?

If you think that the op had other intentions then you need to get out more often.

For the record Virginia safety inspection is very easy - I would never let my brakes or tires even get close to the point of failing a Virginia safety inspection .

Posted by: Mike G W ()
Date: September 21, 2012 02:22AM

What if he OWNS the other vehicle? Same person, different car. BFD! Back the F off.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 22, 2012 11:30AM

Mike G W Wrote:
> What if he OWNS the other vehicle? Same person,
> different car. BFD! Back the F off.

Not legal. Sticker follows the car, not the owner.

Posted by: nemo ()
Date: January 12, 2013 12:12PM

Most of you appear to be idiots. In what kind of society do people hurl unfounded accusations at people they don't even know? Before you accuse someone of being corrupt, at least have the decency to know something about his or her behavior. What the inspector has said is at least self-consistent. Not knowing him, I will not accuse him of corruption.

Posted by: jimbo ()
Date: January 12, 2013 03:37PM

I bought a car out of state once, can't remember where, but they didn't have windshield stickers. A 20 year old Saab 900. Anyway, went to get it inspected and the guy asked me where the other sticker went. Not sure he believed me.... I thought it was odd... now I know why they care about that.

Posted by: Thanks ()
Date: January 12, 2013 04:28PM

inspector Wrote:
> Never sold a sticker ever never would. Never let
> anybodys car pass when it should not - I want my
> friends safe so I will fix it cheap but it will be
> fixed before it gets a sticker.

I'm certain there are some bad inspectors out there, but I'm equally certain that 99% are like you: honest and do a good job. I've always had my car inspected at Joyce Motors in Arlington at the Clarendon metro station... very fair and they always fix the problem at a reasonable cost.

Posted by: Aadro ()
Date: December 09, 2013 12:42PM

Although I am not the person you responded to, I had to respond to this rude, opinionated nonsense. He/she might want to remove the sticker in order to install a new one. Some of us like to keep our cars (including the windshields) clean and not make them look like the beat-up hobo-house that you apparently drive if you allow your stickers to accumulate. More importantly, if you can't imagine other reasons why he/she might want to remove the stickers, maybe you should go back to school and get an education?

Posted by: aadro ()
Date: December 09, 2013 12:45PM

The op did NOT say he/she wanted to transfer the sticker. They were just asking about it, as they had seen it done very easily in that scenario.

Posted by: Nick ()
Date: December 28, 2013 02:56PM

I've personally had to contend with removing the VA sticker for legit purposes. When I moved to the District of Columbia, I received new stickers for the District and had to remove the old VA sticker myself.

Posted by: peeler ()
Date: December 28, 2013 05:17PM

Another benefit of taking the stickers off in one piece is that you don't get small scraps and bits of paper lodged down between the dash and windshield. Sometimes inspection stations can make a mess when they scrape the sticker violently and shred it. Those tiny scraps of sticker can very difficult to deal with.

As long as you take it slowly the sticker can be removed in one piece using a razor blade tool and your fingers. Peel very slowly from the corners. A heat gun or hair dryer might help.

I've only removed the stickers for legal purposes, such as when replacing a windshield or when the car no longer needs it either because it is registered in another state or an antique. I've also had to re-position a couple that were applied crooked or too high on the windshield.

As for the dickweed inspectors who slashes the stickers when he installs them, I'm pretty sure that is illegal. I'd be very pissed off and report his ass for vandalizing a government document.

Posted by: jeff danglesworth ()
Date: March 27, 2014 05:46AM

other than, moving to another state where the inspection sticker isn'tin the same location, moving to another state that doesn't require one, moving to another county that doesn't require inspection, removal for another windshield, removal to preserve as evidence for another one.

please think

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: March 27, 2014 09:43AM

WD40
The new ones have VOID preforations so be careful.

Posted by: Noyoudint ()
Date: March 27, 2014 03:39PM

Posted by: shop ()
Date: March 28, 2014 11:15AM

let the shop/inspector deal with it

Posted by: giddyup ()
Date: March 28, 2014 11:26AM

Places like Giant and Home Depot sell a little plastic device that holds a razor blade that is used to scrape off the stickers. Costs about $2.

Posted by: FucKING ASShole ()
Date: January 23, 2015 11:57PM

Look everyone who said anything about do something illegal esp. Inspector go to hell you have no clue what people could be going through when they come for a inspection maybe they barely could find the measly 16$ to get inspected and you fail then for a battery tie down or one bad rear wiper or a dumb ass miss light bulb in license plate maybe they can't afford that maybe there struggling we all been in that boat virginia inspection is not easy to pass your full of shit maybe for a crook who charges people for outrageous prices to fix dumb ass shit but I think your a dick for even responding IF NOTHING NICE TO SAY DONT SAY SHIT he didn't ask for your judgement he ask a simple ? So shut the fuck up!!!!

Posted by: Sticky sticky ()
Date: January 24, 2015 04:38AM

Existing inspection sticker stays with the existing car. It does not transfer to a new car.

Razor scraper is the only way to get the old one off. It destroys the old sticker.

Gotta pay the inspection man to get a new sticker on any windshield.

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: January 24, 2015 04:49AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 04:50AM by Gerrymanderer2.

Posted by: Nuj9u ()
Date: January 25, 2015 11:58AM

don't tell him. he's some spic trying to steal stickers

or some spic working at a dealership in fx city who doesn't know how but is working the job of a whitey who did

Posted by: wv4yv ()
Date: January 25, 2015 12:00PM

reality Wrote:
> Razor Blade - then clean the residue with
> fingernail polish remover... does a great job.

acetone is extremely poisonous to inhale or even to have on skin, and should never be used indoors or inside a vehicle, and the label says so

reality is really a fucking foreigner trying to kill you - for real

Posted by: pMxYE ()
Date: January 26, 2015 12:02PM

BUMP

Posted by: Bob Dashworth ()
Date: February 15, 2015 07:56PM

"The sticker found on the broken windshield may be removed and placed on the new windshield"

§ 46.2-1164
Reinspection not required when windshield replaced; transfer of inspection sticker to new windshield; replacement of lost or damaged stickers.

When any vehicle requires the replacement of a windshield pursuant to § 46.2-1058, it shall not be necessary to inspect such vehicle at the time of replacement if a valid state inspection sticker is displayed on the windshield being replaced.

The sticker found on the broken windshield may be removed and placed on the new windshield.

The Superintendent may designate certain State Police officers to issue safety inspection approval stickers to vehicles from which the original valid safety inspection approval sticker has been lost, stolen or damaged without causing the vehicle to be reinspected, provided the vehicle owner or operator produces the original safety inspection approval sticker receipt issued to the vehicle within the past eleven months. Such replacement safety inspection approval stickers shall be issued in accordance with regulations promulgated by the Superintendent.

Posted by: hazel ()
Date: June 03, 2016 09:49AM

"inspector" - what difference does it make why OP wants to remove the sticker? Somebody asked for your advise. Either give the requested advise to (s)he, or don't. Nobody needs the lecturing.

Posted by: Can you make it through the day? ()
Date: June 03, 2016 10:05AM

stuck! Wrote:
> mess?
>
> windshield?

My God you do have a problem don't you.

Posted by: jVnUc ()
Date: June 03, 2016 10:46AM

stuck! Wrote:
> mess?
>
> windshield?

dont tell him how

is some nigger who wants to steal stickers from unlocked cars

Posted by: cGhw3 ()
Date: June 03, 2016 10:48AM

wv4yv Wrote:
> reality Wrote:
> -----
> > Razor Blade - then clean the residue with
> > fingernail polish remover... does a great job.
>
> acetone is extremely poisonous to inhale or even
> to have on skin, and should never be used indoors
> or inside a vehicle, and the label says so
>
> reality is really a fucking foreigner trying to
> kill you - for real

+1

Posted by: Blow job ()
Date: June 03, 2016 11:12AM

Use a hair dryer to warm it up/ loosen it then peel it off.

Posted by: 6Knte ()
Date: June 04, 2016 12:19PM

6Knte

Posted by: patrick magby ()
Date: October 23, 2017 05:10PM

FUCK YOU FAGGOT ASS WHITE BOY PUNK BITCH HONKY!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Soul Brother #1 ()
Date: October 23, 2017 05:32PM

follow the rules Wrote:
> stuck! Wrote:
> -----
> > What's the best way to do this without
> scratching
> > up the dash or windshield, and without making a
> > mess?
> >
> > And, anyone know how the windshield repair
> shops
> > are able to transfer the sticker to the new
> > windshield?
>
>
> So you don't want to mess up the windshield, so
> you are obviously not replacing a windshield.
> Other than doing that, I'm trying to think of a
> valid reason you would want to remove a state
> inspection sticker, other than to illegally put it
> on another vehicle.

Very difficult to remove inspection sticker to transfer to another windshield. Splits apart from cuts designed into it

Posted by: But! ()
Date: October 23, 2017 07:19PM

The Judge Wrote:
> Removal of the state inspection sticker in
> Virginia is punishable by you being taken down to
> the 12th level of the Remeum by the midgets from
> Vienna and having your buttocks slashed by the
> Bunnyman.

The Bunnyman lives in Clifton. Does he work in Vienna?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.