HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Does anyone remember Three Chefs?
Posted by: I can't stop my hand shaking ()
Date: August 23, 2011 08:06AM

The one in Annandale, present home of Fuddruckers, loved them silver dollar pancakes and the blueberry syrup and the smell of sausage links

didn't go to one in Falls Church very much, still a restaurant but can't remember name

lets kiss the past's ass all day long, said Loudon Wainwright III

Options: ReplyQuote
10 Years Prison for New Orleans Democrat Mayor Ray Nagin
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 23, 2011 08:16AM

haupaw-trolo-o.gif

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 11:18PM by WingNut.

Re: Does anyone remember Three Chefs?
Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: August 23, 2011 09:15AM

I remember that we went to the one in Annandale, but I don't remember what they served.

I recall they had a location on US-50 just east of Annandale Road, near where the Jefferson Theatre was (last I knew the Jefferson had become a Chili's; the Around the Corner Barber Shop is located next door). As of the last time I drove through that area, which has to be at least a year now, the Three Chefs had become a place called Bentley's, had a green sign with white writing. I don't know if it's still there, but IIRC Bentley's was there for a long time. Google Maps shows it as still being there (with a new sign), but Google Maps isn't always up-to-date.

Posted by: Sunny D ()
Date: August 23, 2011 10:12AM

Loved Three Chefs in Annandale. I still remember the orange and blue "decor". That was fine dining at its best in the late 60's early 70's. lol

Posted by: DH ()
Date: August 23, 2011 10:51AM

1995hoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember that we went to the one in Annandale,
> but I don't remember what they served.
>
> I recall they had a location on US-50 just east of
> Annandale Road, near where the Jefferson Theatre
> was (last I knew the Jefferson had become a
> Chili's; the Around the Corner Barber Shop is
> located next door). As of the last time I drove
> through that area, which has to be at least a year
> now, the Three Chefs had become a place called
> Bentley's, had a green sign with white writing. I
> don't know if it's still there, but IIRC Bentley's
> was there for a long time. Google Maps shows it as
> still being there (with a new sign), but Google
> Maps isn't always up-to-date.

You are correct about Bentley's. It's still there and before it was a Three Chefs. It's part of the Quality Inn.
Chili's was where the theatre was, it closed and the empty building caught fire and now it is a Goodwill store.
The barber shop is there but I never see it open.

Posted by: sliver dollar ()
Date: August 23, 2011 07:46PM

ah, the three chefs in annandale. circa 1965-70 we'd go there on sunday am once in a while for the family breakfast. always crowded (there was nowhere else to eat in annandale) with a waiting line. dad would order the "belgian waffle" (took forever to cook... more smoking time for dad) and we kids would get the pancakes. the best part was the syrup carousel in the center of the table... spin it and load up on strawberry, blueberry, raspberry! never had those flavors at home.

Posted by: matt staszak ()
Date: July 19, 2013 05:20PM

I worked as a cook for three chefs for about 6 years from 1973 to 1980. Mr. Willis also gave me a shot at the SOUNDSTAGE disco across the street too. I used to drink like a fish which I am not bragging about however it seemed like the two just went hand in hand. Looking back I miss every moment of it. I met and worked with some of the best folks ever. Not a day goes by where I don't think about CHEFS....

Rock on,

Matt
602-329-0111

Posted by: Wonderin' ()
Date: July 19, 2013 06:28PM

matt staszak Wrote:
> I worked as a cook for three chefs for about 6
> years from 1973 to 1980. Mr. Willis also gave me a
> shot at the SOUNDSTAGE disco across the street
> too. I used to drink like a fish which I am not
> bragging about however it seemed like the two just
> went hand in hand. Looking back I miss every
> moment of it. I met and worked with some of the
> best folks ever. Not a day goes by where I don't
> think about CHEFS....
>
> Rock on,
>
> Matt
> 602-329-0111

Why would you put your phone number here?

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: July 19, 2013 06:34PM

This is some eye-candy for you Matt...3 Chefs rocked.
Attachments:
3shefs annandale.jpg
c70a_12.jpg

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: July 20, 2013 07:37PM

Matt where you a blonde long hair guy who worked at night short order pancakes eggs,toward midnights ?

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: July 20, 2013 07:43PM

At the Annandale 3 Chefs

Posted by: Melvin Sedlock ()
Date: November 10, 2013 10:00PM

I worked for the Three Chefs Restaurants back in the mid 60's as assistant bookkeeper. I remember the great doughnuts for breakfast. Bob Hardison was the main bookkeeper and Bob Wills owned the restaurants & People's Gas Stations, Star Realty, Karlo Corporation, etc. Good ole days

Posted by: RobinHood2013 ()
Date: November 11, 2013 07:16AM

Oh man, I remember the Annandale Three Chefs spot. Grew up in Annandale and going to Three Chefs for Sunday dinners. Their decor comes to my mind--bright orange and brown and their lights. I remember looking at their lights--they were designed a little unusual weren't they at that time?

The good ol' days like Melvin mentioned above!

Date: December 26, 2013 11:56AM

To the goofball who wanted to know as to why I posted my phone number.....it's kinda like "Why do fools fall in love" sort of answers your own question. Most people leave their telephone number as a courtesy in case there is someone else that wants to rap about the same subject.....C'mon dummy, visit earth!

Thanks,

Matt

602-329-0111

Posted by: rot boy slime ()
Date: December 26, 2013 08:23PM

Did the 3 Chefs over in Falls Church have a different owner?

Posted by: jrmac ()
Date: December 27, 2013 08:56AM

Dad and mom used to take us Sundays after Church...either Annandale or the one that's Bentlys now. this would have been late 60's. great memories!

Posted by: back in da day ()
Date: December 27, 2013 09:40AM

Matt did you frequent the Sunset Grill?

Date: December 27, 2013 12:06PM

I thought that was the Annandale Grill......that's the one I used to get soaked at.....as well as Tom Weston's.....just a never ending party...!

Posted by: sweet memories ()
Date: December 27, 2013 12:10PM

who remembers when legendary band Led Zeppelin played at Three Chefs in Annandale back in December of 1968? legend has it that this was Led Zep's first ever concert in the States!

Posted by: Bydt ()
Date: December 27, 2013 06:16PM

My best Three Chefs memory was toward its demise. When it rained there were buckets on almost every table. There were three or four tables of breakfast regulars all of whom had cast iron intestines. One morning a stranger wandered in dressed up in suit, tie, white shirt. Obviously a job interviewee. Rain was plucking down in the buckets when there was a big explosion from the newcomers table. The fermented ketchup had finally exceeded the bottle's strength and blown rotten ketchup and glass all over his duds. Maybe they appogized.

Posted by: Cathy Lewis ()
Date: July 15, 2014 07:26PM

Yes, the one on Wilson Blvd. is Hurt's Cleaners. When they were refacing the sign, you could see the old Three Chefs sign underneath.

Posted by: ccctokens ()
Date: August 31, 2014 06:05PM

Hello everyone, new to this forum. I collect parking tokens, and happen to have a specimen with (THREE CHEFS). The token is attributed to Arlington according to The Catalogue of Parking Tokens of the World. I see there are a lot of replies stating that this place was in Annandale. Any input would be welcome. I help the author of said catalogue with any errors in attribution, etc. Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
va_3chefs.jpg

Posted by: Lin ()
Date: September 08, 2014 04:26AM

that was a great place! i worked there as a waitress as a summer job in 1973. they had the best fried chicken, creamed spinach. i loved their banana bread. pancakes. great syrups. great reuben sandwiches. strawberry milkshakes. their sunday brunch was so crowded with families. i miss that place! great memories...

WingNut Wrote:
> Used to go to the one on Wilson Blvd in Arlington,
> near the Highlander Motel and Marios.
>
> 3 Chefs was right up there with Howard Johnsons.

Posted by: Keith M ()
Date: October 15, 2014 09:15AM

I worked at the main 3 Chefs in Annandale while I was attending Annandale High. It was the main restaurant as it had the bakery that made/prepared all the baked goods and batters for all the other stores. (I think there were 11 stores in all).

A great place to work with great coworkers ... started there as a busboy here was my progression, Busboy, dishwasher, Pot & Pans & Prep Cook, then full cook. I saved my parents tons of money as all food was free to employees and the food was excellent.

Sunday mornings were crazy and exciting we would have as many as 10 cooks working the line. A manager working the order wheel full all the way around I think it held about 20 orders. At peeks he would also have 10 orders in each hand. I remember all the prep work on Saturday one example was sitting with friends cracking enough eggs to fill 2, 5 gallon tubs… I can still crack 4 eggs at a time two in each hand. I remember having the kitchen just about clean for closing at 10pm, then getting the call to prepare 50+ burger boxes for the snowplow crews, One burger, fries, coleslaw, and a slice of that wonderful banana nut bread.

I could kick myself for not getting that German Apple Pancake recipe or any other.

Posted by: Grunt ()
Date: October 15, 2014 10:10AM

I remember it more like "Three Shits" which was what I got every time I went there.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: October 15, 2014 10:36AM

Philistine!

Posted by: Yoo-hoo, Ms Teen ()
Date: October 15, 2014 12:18PM

Grunt Wrote:
> I remember it more like "Three Shits" which was
> what I got every time I went there.

Three shits in the face is about all you're going to get here as well, Phyllis.

Posted by: 3rdChefFromHell ()
Date: October 15, 2014 07:07PM

Hi Grunt, you must be the A$$hole the waitress told me to put something special in your food! Hope you made it home OK.

Date: October 23, 2014 02:26PM

Ah Three Chefs....started in 1973, just like Keith, I moved on up in the same style......It was nice once you became a cook, because the eye candy including (most of) the waitresses was non-stop and you could always count on taking some QT home every night.....it was great too because the broads back then weren't looking for a sugar daddy like the little girls today. Remember when Bob Seger sang,"We loved each other but neither one cared, we were just getting our share" Whew! gotta love it!!!!

Posted by: Irene ()
Date: November 05, 2014 08:05PM

Yes, I worked there the last 3-4 yeats as a waitress. It was hard work but worked with and met lovely people. The food wZ awesome and was home made food.I believe I remember you. I worked with Eva,Dita,David,Corinne,Helen and Violet.George and Greg were our managers. We all had our final day at the infamous Three Chefs..

Posted by: Tanfarm ()
Date: November 06, 2014 07:17AM

Silver dollar pancakes and the first pig in a blanket I remember.....ah , yes ..what Annandale used to be......

Posted by: typical lib. ()
Date: November 06, 2014 07:22AM

Keith M Wrote:
> I worked at the main 3 Chefs in Annandale while I
> was attending Annandale High. It was the main
> restaurant as it had the bakery that made/prepared
> all the baked goods and batters for all the other
> stores. (I think there were 11 stores in all).
>
> A great place to work with great coworkers ...
> started there as a busboy here was my progression,
> Busboy, dishwasher, Pot & Pans & Prep Cook, then
> full cook. I saved my parents tons of money as all
> food was free to employees and the food was
> excellent.
>
> Sunday mornings were crazy and exciting we would
> have as many as 10 cooks working the line. A
> manager working the order wheel full all the way
> around I think it held about 20 orders. At peeks
> he would also have 10 orders in each hand. I
> remember all the prep work on Saturday one example
> was sitting with friends cracking enough eggs to
> fill 2, 5 gallon tubs… I can still crack 4 eggs
> at a time two in each hand. I remember having the
> kitchen just about clean for closing at 10pm, then
> getting the call to prepare 50+ burger boxes for
> the snowplow crews, One burger, fries, coleslaw,
> and a slice of that wonderful banana nut bread.
>
> I could kick myself for not getting that German
> Apple Pancake recipe or any other.

How does your current job at McDonald's compare?

Posted by: Billy Whack ()
Date: November 06, 2014 12:04PM

Probably better then you and your family servicing me!

Now STFU and bend over or I will bust yo Mom in the face again Bitch!

typical lib. Wrote:
>
> How does your current job at McDonald's compare?

Posted by: Maureen Coon Sorrell ()
Date: July 09, 2015 11:22AM

Does anyone remember Mrs Hellbringer who managed The Three Chefs in Woodbridge, VA?

Posted by: Bill H. ()
Date: August 06, 2015 10:40PM

Worked there as a Bus Boy when in High School in 1965. Think the manager was Mr. Bergy (?). Ate the California Burger almost all the time as my employee meal. Since we worked the closing shift, always remember the flight crew from Pan Am (?) coming in just before we closed up. Remember their menu item prices were different for EACH item. That way they could keep track of how many of each item sold, based on how many of what price? sold. Long before database spreadsheets.
Always worked with nice people.

Posted by: maureen Barnard ()
Date: September 06, 2015 09:02PM

I remember 3 chefs I worked for 3 chefs corporation, they also had a restaurant across the street called the Spaghetti mill and sound stage disco...where I worked as cocktail waitress and bartender....the 3 chefs restaurant was great..Bob mills owned all of them....

Posted by: 3chefFan ()
Date: September 06, 2015 10:13PM

The flavored syrups made this place special. You couldn't say buy blueberry syrup in a store back then. Only 3 Chefs had flavored syrups. We thought it wss great.

Date: September 06, 2015 11:19PM

He He Three Chefs in Annandale. Went there many times at night as I worked night shift. 73-74 Remember the young guy who was the night short order cook, he was good cracking eggs flipping them slapping pancakes down with some kind of dispenser. I always sat at the counter. Some friends went there ever Sunday, I joined them a few times. I remember the big tan colored plastic coffee pots they brought you. (WOW)! LOL!

Every time I went in the Fuddruckers there I thought about 3 Chefs. It was a great place and yes those syrups in the glass bottles in all the pancake joints were a big deal to kids. And Sundays at noon, it was packed. Lots of people that were getting out of church. Dads Moms kids.

Posted by: Nopesuredont ()
Date: September 07, 2015 06:16AM

I remember there's company

Posted by: D tubbs ()
Date: February 20, 2016 08:45PM

I worked with Mrs Helbringer and John Grooms in Woodbridge in 1974

Posted by: DTubbs ()
Date: February 20, 2016 08:46PM

Matt Staczak
I worked with you and bought a white 1973 Chevy be lair from you

Posted by: Charles Haley ()
Date: February 21, 2016 07:21AM

What a bunch of pathetic losers! Living in the past, dreaming of pancakes - have you really wasted your life so badly that having pancakes was your highest achievement?! LOLZ! LOSERS!

Posted by: Charles Haley's Gay Lover ()
Date: February 21, 2016 08:37AM

Charles Haley Wrote:
> What a bunch of pathetic losers! Living in the
> past, dreaming of pancakes - have you really
> wasted your life so badly that having pancakes was
> your highest achievement?! LOLZ! LOSERS!
Attachments:
thisguywzrfk.jpg

Posted by: Manny, Moe, and Jack ()
Date: February 21, 2016 09:01AM

I found a larger version of the pic posted earlier in the thread. This is the Annandale 3 Chefs. Apparently the brick building across the street was a Safeway. When I was a kid we always went to the 3 Chefs on Rte 50 in Falls Church. I didn't really do Annandale until I was 12 or 13. We would ride our bikes or skateboard up there and hit Gino's and Rainbow Tree then Penguin Feather. Ha, back when I was 13 we bought a bong at Rainbow Tree and they even let us test it for water leaks in the bathroom there. AH...the good old days.
Attachments:
3 Chefs.jpg

Posted by: let it go old-heads ()
Date: February 21, 2016 09:07AM

let it go old-heads

Date: February 21, 2016 03:44PM

The Chef shall rise...
Attachments:
3chefa1.jpg
3chef1.jpg

Posted by: Matt Staszak ()
Date: May 02, 2016 01:31PM

Hey Mr. Tubbs.....I remember you.....just pulled up the site recently.....how ya been? I'm livin in Arizona now!

Posted by: old loser ()
Date: May 02, 2016 03:41PM

Charles Haley Wrote:

Yeah, but at least we have something cool to remember like Penguin Feather and Rainbow Tree.

You won't have memories because there is nothing memorable anymore. Just corporate chain bullshit like McDonald's.

Posted by: What A Bunch Of Heaps ()
Date: May 02, 2016 09:33PM

In that old Pic, I would say about 1960. The cars looked beat..

Back in those days there was no 19 Trillion Dollar Deficit and Yes many things were TOO Luxurious for Federal Employees.. Not today with Obama and Democrats, Nothing Is TOO Good for Federal employees, and that's why we owe China Trillions..

Posted by: arlington native ()
Date: May 03, 2016 08:55PM

I worked at the arlington 3 chefs from 1975 till it closed in 1980 or 81. Mr wells was the owner. I believe there were 4 left at that time. Woodbridge, Annandale(headquarters) a smaller store on rt 50 attached to a hotel, and Arlington on Wilson blvd near Mario's pizza. The food when cooked correctly was all prepared from scratch daily with top quality products. As the "all you can eat" Restaraunt's started to dominate, and national chains like Denny's were taking off, the help and the food really started to suffer. Mr Wells came in one day, looked at the books, gave an anguished look and closed the Arlington store leaving a note on the door for all the workers on shift the next morning. Everything else closed shortly there after. He also owned the spaghetti Mill in Annandale and the El Sombrero on lee hyw in Arlington. He must have been close to 80 at the time. 3 Chefs did have great recipe's. The pancake batter used 7 types of flour, one of which came frome France. Mr Z, a small Mexican cook made all the prep stuff for years. He was fast and consistent. In the end, too many teenagers like me with little supervision. One manager would sit in his office and watch tv all night. Another 30 something female manager nailed most of the teenage cooks at one time or another. We worked hard but were too young and too immature to run the place properly. We would stay after shift all night, drinking tap beer and eating food after they closed. Sometime's with the manager. Pretty cool when your 16, but not good for the bottom line. Ahh the 70's. No madd, no aids, no political correctness, no internet outing bad behavior, just party down and still get to school by 730 am and try to stay awake till next shift. If the customers only knew what went on in the kitchen. Crazy shit. Never boring.

Posted by: uvDYb ()
Date: May 05, 2016 04:31PM

uvDYb

Date: May 07, 2016 08:55PM

No doubt....the employee staff being childish and not realizing their running a business instead of a daycare lead to Chefs self destruction, however you're so right I was tappin anything that moved in addition to free grub anytime as well as draining the beer keg pretty regularly......just a seemingly never ending party!!!!

Posted by: Daniel Quinn ()
Date: October 26, 2016 03:49PM

I worked as a busboy and dishwasher at the Three Chefs from 1977-78. Mr. Day was the host and I think Betsy was the manager.

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: October 28, 2016 11:34PM

I lived on Rose Lane from 1959 to 1969. Loved Three Chefs pancakes. Do you remember The Villa Maria near the Giant market or Gifford's ice cream at Bailys Crossroads?

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: October 29, 2016 10:42AM

Nothing at all wrong with "living in the past". At least we have fond memories of the area as we aren't living in the bowels of our parents homes waiting for our entitlement money with our face in our cell phones reading the Huffington Post as the world passes us by. Who's the loser?

Posted by: Arlington native ()
Date: October 29, 2016 06:01PM

Loved Gifford's. Used to walk there with the family on Saturday evenings. We lived in Culmore. Of course back in the 60's there were no illeagles in the area. Not a racial thing, just a demographics thing. Remember Alworths garage? And there was a hardware store across the street that was a quanset hut. Nice little area. Still had a couple of farms off the highway. S&H green stamps, A&P. And yes, the pancakes at 3 chef's was better then most of anything I can recall in politics in the last 25 years. Don't forget the German Apple pancake. If only the youth of today had some of these small but tangible memories maybe they wouldn't be so bitter.

Date: October 29, 2016 06:32PM

@Arlington Native...check out the Old Pictures of FFX County thread...I just posted a pic of that hardware store a few pages back.

Posted by: Arlington native ()
Date: October 29, 2016 07:23PM

Thanks

Posted by: Good read ()
Date: October 30, 2016 07:55PM

Such great family memories at that place. Wish it were still around.

Posted by: I SREAM FOR ICE CREAM ()
Date: October 30, 2016 08:05PM

I remember a cow pasture next to Gifford's in the late sixties. Ice cream was served in silver bowls by young men wearing dress whites with black bow ties.

Posted by: date night ()
Date: October 30, 2016 11:03PM

I SREAM FOR ICE CREAM Wrote:
> I remember a cow pasture next to Gifford's in the
> late sixties. Ice cream was served in silver bowls
> by young men wearing dress whites with black bow
> ties.

And you couldn't fucking get near the place on Fri & Sat nights. You HAD to take your girl to Gifford's after the movie!

Posted by: Lived Here Forever ()
Date: October 31, 2016 05:07AM

Arlington native Wrote:
> Loved Gifford's.

My grandfather would take us to the Hot Shoppes at Bailey's Crossroads for dinner and then over to Gifford's for dessert.

Posted by: Rob ()
Date: November 01, 2016 01:21AM

I worked as busboy and dishwasher at the Three Chefs on US-50 in 1970.

Posted by: Rock and Roll Eggroll ()
Date: November 01, 2016 08:49PM

Lotus Empire? It's a Bank of Arabia now, I think it was a grocery store before that.

Posted by: anybody know? ()
Date: November 01, 2016 10:16PM

I remember hearing stories that Gifford's ran afoul of the 60s nigger laws.

And they elected to shut down rather than put up with that shit.

Posted by: Three Chefs Rt 50 ()
Date: November 02, 2016 01:08AM

I worked as busboy and dishwasher at the Three Chefs on US-50 in 1970.

Now Bentleys I worked at the quality inn governor during that time
Attachments:
bentleys.jpg

Posted by: Dtubbs ()
Date: November 18, 2016 09:58PM

Matt. I am still in the area and doing well. How about you?

Posted by: Colonel Howdy ()
Date: November 19, 2016 09:37AM

Does anyone remember the dry-cleaner in Arlington that used to get shirts pressed really well in the 1970's? God I miss that place so much, I spend every day and night thinking about it and the good old days with a sharp crease in my pants. Can we all gather around for a group hug and talk about the buttons we've lost along the way, and share tales of stains removed?

Posted by: General Howdy ()
Date: November 19, 2016 09:59AM

Colonel Howdy Wrote:
> Does anyone remember the dry-cleaner in Arlington
> that used to get shirts pressed really well in the
> 1970's? God I miss that place so much, I spend
> every day and night thinking about it and the good
> old days with a sharp crease in my pants. Can we
> all gather around for a group hug and talk about
> the buttons we've lost along the way, and share
> tales of stains removed?

Hey CH, Mommy has your Eggos ready upstairs.

Posted by: h9Pyh ()
Date: November 19, 2016 11:16AM

Colonel Howdy Wrote:
> Can we all gather around for a group hug and talk
> about the buttons we've lost along the way, and share
> tales of stains removed?

Sure Colonel. Start your own thread and have at it. Just leave this one to people who have fond memories of Three Chefs.

Posted by: VWGNp ()
Date: November 21, 2016 04:54AM

anybody know? Wrote:
> I remember hearing stories that Gifford's ran afoul of the 60s nigger laws.
>
> And they elected to shut down rather than put up with that shit.

They were open in the 70s...

Posted by: Mother Teresa ()
Date: November 21, 2016 08:06PM

Goddam! Get a life you pathetic losers. Better yet, just kill yourselves if eating or working at some roach motel was the high point of your miserable life!

Date: December 18, 2016 12:18PM

Hey Mr. Tubbs.....what it is? Just saw your message.....if you get the chance, give me a call...I"m living in Arizona these days....no more cooking, however..LOL 602-547-0812

Posted by: Violinman1x ()
Date: September 17, 2017 08:08PM

TheThreeChefs,
Yes working there at $1.00 an hour .Big money at 16 years .Mr Wills an impatient man but good to work for. And hot chicks as waiteress. The radio dj show of WEEL 1310 AM was great to be around.
Was much good times there. I would like move back there but expensive rents you know.

Mike C.

Posted by: Ramcharger ()
Date: November 07, 2017 08:02PM

Three Chefs was my first job in Actiondale!
Had to get my dad to take me to juvenile court to get a work permit!!
Has anybody ever found a recipe for the German Apple Pancakes?? Good Lord they were good!
Bought my first beer at Annadale bar and grill at 16. It was a great place to grow up. Went from Three Chefs to Kerlins Corner schlepping plants. Penguin Feather and Andys Pizza got most of my check until I could drive.

Posted by: Richard Blake ()
Date: January 28, 2018 05:20PM

I was flipping through an old newspaper from my father's belongings and found this Three Chefs ad. Never knew there were locations other than FC. Googled to check whether there are any locations remaining and bumped into this forum. Thanks for the memories. (I've been trying for years to remember what it was before it was Bentley's!) BTW, same thread is at http://forums.roadfood.com/Three-Chefs-pancake-restaurant-m386694.aspx.
Google finds tons of German Apple Pancake recipes. I bet most any of them would make your heart go pit-a-pat. But what syrup is appropriate?
Attachments:
ThreeChefsAd-1969May.png

Posted by: Same lettering ()
Date: January 28, 2018 06:53PM

Thanks ,that bucket used the same type of lettering as The old Kentucky Fried Chicken buckets.

Posted by: Purvayer ()
Date: January 28, 2018 07:00PM

.... Yes... I remember them... had one on wilson blvd in arlington also...

ran away owing a lot of money to a lot of people...

Posted by: Annandale OG ()
Date: January 28, 2018 10:15PM

Used to go there all of the time. Great food and great waitresses. I remember a friend of ours used to work there as a waitress named Lorraine. Great memories!

Posted by: Homos at 3 chefs ()
Date: January 29, 2018 07:11AM

Annandale location was a gay hangout on Wednesday nights.
All you needed was a handlebar mustache and tight jeans.

We would take the party to sunset grille and do coke and amyl nitrate!

Miss that scene, now ffx is closeted again.

Todd
571-245-3482

Posted by: Bob S. ()
Date: December 16, 2018 04:06PM

My first job while in high school (65-67) was at Three Chef's on Arlington Blvd. Mr Bergy was the manager. Mr Bergy and my Father were Marines from WWII. Started as buss boy, worked my way up to dishwasher, then to cook. One of the cooks was named Moose. Go figure. Sunday mornings were the busiest time of the week. I could run the egg station and wheel on Sundays. It was hard work but a fun job. I also worked at the Wilson Blvd store. I remember the German Apple pancakes, pigs in a blanket, pressurized deep fryer (blew up once), and the Radar range. One boring night we poured a pancake the entire size of the grill. It took all hands on deck to flip it. It wasn't pretty - but heck, it was cool when you're a teenager.

Posted by: Insanity ()
Date: December 16, 2018 06:25PM

So . . . did they serve blacks back in the 60s?

Posted by: Yes they did ()
Date: December 16, 2018 06:41PM

This is Fairfax Co not Mississippi, your question should be Did Blacks feel comfortable in there with all the white folks

Probably not, they had their places they went to , and that's where they went

Date: December 16, 2018 06:53PM

Yes they did Wrote:
> This is Fairfax Co not Mississippi, your question
> should be Did Blacks feel comfortable in there
> with all the white folks
>
> Probably not, they had their places they went to ,
> and that's where they went

Dude, FFX had segregated schools in the 1960s. Just like Mississippi. So get off your high horse. It was a legitimate question and I'm still waiting a legitimate answer.

Posted by: segregated schools? ()
Date: December 16, 2018 07:12PM

Insanity Wrote:
> Yes they did Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This is Fairfax Co not Mississippi, your
> question
> > should be Did Blacks feel comfortable in there
> > with all the white folks
> >
> > Probably not, they had their places they went to
> ,
> > and that's where they went
>
> Dude, FFX had segregated schools in the 1960s.
> Just like Mississippi. So get off your high
> horse. It was a legitimate question and I'm still
> waiting a legitimate answer.

Where?

Date: December 16, 2018 07:17PM

segregated schools? Wrote:
> Insanity Wrote:
> -----
> > Yes they did Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > This is Fairfax Co not Mississippi, your
> > question
> > > should be Did Blacks feel comfortable in
> there
> > > with all the white folks
> > >
> > > Probably not, they had their places they went
> to
> > ,
> > > and that's where they went
> >
> > Dude, FFX had segregated schools in the 1960s.
> > Just like Mississippi. So get off your high
> > horse. It was a legitimate question and I'm
> still
> > waiting a legitimate answer.
>
>
> Where?

Educate yourself, fool:

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/news/2004/mar/03/fairfaxs-long-road-to-integration/

Posted by: Fond Three Chefs Memories ()
Date: December 16, 2018 08:02PM

My elementary school opened in the early sixties and was integrated from the start. Maybe it was because it was a new school and there was a historic black neighborhood within walking distance.

Brown only applied to schools. State mandated segregation had been struck down even before Brown for businesses engaged in interstate commerce, but voluntary segregation was permitted until the passage of the civil rights act in 1964. Even then some restaurants tried to discourage black patrons. Not sure what Three Chefs policy was. I only remember the pancakes.

Posted by: Robert Corder ()
Date: January 24, 2019 04:10PM

I seem to remember a 3-Chefs restaurant that was located on route 50, not far from Fairfax Circle. Is anyone familiar with that location?

Posted by: 45jhg ()
Date: January 24, 2019 06:22PM

There was one on Route 50 and Annandale Road, just west of Seven Corners. Not aware of any other location that would have been close to Fairfax Circle.

Posted by: Another one ()
Date: January 24, 2019 06:56PM

236 and Columbia Pike in Annandale.

Posted by: Rich Green ()
Date: March 23, 2019 02:45PM

I am now 60 years old and remember 3 Chefs very well. I was between 5 and oh 8 I guess and would always get the silver dollars pancakes. That is it!! Extra butter and syrup. To me, all my life, pancakes were just a medium for a ton of butter and syrup!! But does anyone remember the radio station that would do remotes there? Well I always had to horn in and make a fool of myself and they would always let me on the radio. You could see my family scrunch down in their seats from embarrassment. Best days of my life. No worries and loved the summer and Christmas and school was just a social gig. I didn't wake up till I went to college. And I gratdiated two! All my best to all Annandalites.

Posted by: Eric Atwood ()
Date: February 16, 2020 06:13PM

I worked just a couple of months at the Three Chefs at Marumsco Plaza, Woodbridge, Va, in the Summer of 69 for a buck an hour. Chicken and pancakes. My go-to for breaks was the blueberry pancakes, which were awesome. At closing time, any leftover chicken was up for grabs by the employees. Not for to-go. You had to eat it then and there. Anything left was garbage. Just before that job I worked a couple months at Lee's Steakhouse, in the Strip Mall at the same plaza.

Posted by: Went to jail in Annandale ()
Date: February 16, 2020 07:17PM

Fuck 3 chefs. SHAKEYS and a Jaws 2 @ the Annandale Cinema!!

Posted by: Ej ()
Date: February 17, 2020 10:26PM

I do. The Annandale one. usually Tues eve’s, or saturday’s.

Posted by: Yes in Arlington ()
Date: February 17, 2020 10:30PM

There was also one in Arlington on Columbia Pike. They had really good food. I loved their creamed spinach especially. Good food and always clean and good service.

Posted by: Sunday After Church Breakfast ()
Date: February 17, 2020 10:52PM

At 3 Chefs in Annandale were our family tradition until the last baby chick left the nest , would love to see them back or a similar place like 3 Chefs

Posted by: local ()
Date: February 26, 2020 12:57PM

I grew up in Annandale and remember this restaurant. After I got married and had kids, whole family went there. I remember waiting 30-45 minutes for a German Apple Pancakes.
I wish I also had the recipe. Can not find it anywhere. I ones that I do find is not the same.

Posted by: JPHNW ()
Date: February 26, 2020 02:06PM

I remember Burger Chef. I wonder what happened to Jeff.

Posted by: Roland ()
Date: May 01, 2020 12:03AM

I stumbled on this site looking for the recipe for three chefs' creamed spinach. It was absolutely the best. And I've never found anything even close at the store, in a recipe, frozen aisle, or at any other restaurant. Reading through this entire blog has been a trip down memory lane and fun to recall. It's too bad there are a few spitballs who disparage fond memories, I guess they're just not old enough to have good memories. I moved to heSpringfield in the early '70s to marry my wife. Coming from Texas where there were racial divides, I just never noticed any such discrimination at Three Chefs. I'm not saying it was perfect there, but the food was absolutely delicious and memorable. and that's why you see so many memories recounted in this blog. God bless to all.

Posted by: Sure Thing Pal ()
Date: May 01, 2020 12:30AM

Grab some fresh spinach wash it then boil it a few minutes then drain and push and squeeze the water out in the colander use a clean towel since paper towels are scarce

Meanwhile Bossman slap some butter in a big sauté pan and simmer a bit then add some finely chopped onions and sauté a minute then add a pinch of flour sprinkled on the pan and then pour cream in and simmer it down a bit, don't cook till overthickend or let it boil wildly just gently simmer , add some nutmeg just a touch and when it starts to thicken a bit put the cooked spinach in and toss it up

Hell No I never worked there ! I sat at the counter watching them do it after working the night shift , some times they let me in the back to see the tricks of their cooking , you know how they suck up to "The State Man" like it would do them any good ! LOL

DAJAX Sounds good time for a steakhouse steak and creamed spinach at my shack

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.