HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FiOS DVR Upgrade Options
Posted by: Putterman ()
Date: August 14, 2011 04:04PM

I have had FiOS for nearly 3 years with the original Motorola QIP-6416-2 HD DVR and noticed today that my daughter received a Cisco CHS 435 with her recent installation. I have also been reading online that FiOS offers the Motorola QIP7232 with 500GB of storage.

Has anyone requested an upgrade from Verizon? If so, was the process essentially a phone call, or did you need to schedule a technician visit? What device did they provide? I have been reading online that Verizon does not make this process easy and I would really like to get the latest version with the larger hard drive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FiOS DVR Upgrade Options
Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: August 14, 2011 04:11PM

We have the upgrade -- nice. If you call and request the upgrade, it will be interesting to see how your customer service pans out with mgmt at the switchboards.

Posted by: Verizon Guy ()
Date: August 14, 2011 04:14PM

Just call the customer service line and request the upgrade. I'm not sure if there is a cost involved. There probably is. Just remember that it will take a while for a tech to come out and install it due to the strike. We're all backed up.

Posted by: urjr ()
Date: August 14, 2011 04:18PM

Verizon Guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just call the customer service line and request
> the upgrade. I'm not sure if there is a cost
> involved. There probably is. Just remember that it
> will take a while for a tech to come out and
> install it due to the strike. We're all backed up.
Usually they just mail out another box, and you mail your old one right back. Pretty effortless.

Date: August 14, 2011 04:22PM

Does anyone know if I can go to one of the Verizon stores with a FiOS kiosk and get the receiver there? I figured that it would just be 'plug and play', so why do I need to have a technician make a service call?

Which device did you get, the Motorola or Cisco? Does the 1.9 software upgrade come with either one?

Posted by: Mia Cardrone ()
Date: August 21, 2011 05:45PM

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiostv might be a good place to ask/research

Posted by: C ()
Date: August 21, 2011 05:52PM

Scabs???? Not in my house!!
Good thing negotiations continue and strike is over.

Posted by: Fios Please ()
Date: August 22, 2011 10:11AM

im interested in getting a cut in my bill or some freebies. Any recommendations on what to say to them to get it?

Date: August 23, 2011 08:53PM

The Verizon Experience store at Fair Oaks Mall hooked me up. I did not have much luck when I walked in and asked for an upgrade, but when I stepped outside and placed a call to Verizon I got an order number and was able to get the HD DvR 5 minutes later. Not sure why I had to jump through the extra hoop, but it worked out in the end.

Not happy that I rebuild my list of programs to record - I expected that that was attached somehow to my account. Also, does anyone know how to get v1.9 software upgrade? I still have v1.8 and I would like the improved program guide.

Posted by: Rambunctious ()
Date: August 23, 2011 09:02PM

What's the biggest differences between the two units? Just storage space?

Posted by: lazor ()
Date: January 02, 2012 09:05PM

Here is how I put in my upgrade request.

* Go to www.verizon.com/fiostvcentral and sign-in.
* Select the 'Settings' dropdown located just above the Search field.
* Select 'Set Top Boxes'.
* Select the 'GO' button in the box on the right marked 'Want more from your FiOS DVR'.
* Enter your Name and Preferred email address for notification on when the DVR expansion becomes available.

Posted by: Richie Rich ()
Date: January 02, 2012 09:11PM

That online request way is fine if you want to spend $40 to get a new box to rent for $15/month or whatever the cost is.

I'll just wait for the Verizon store in Fair Oaks or Woodbridge to get some in. They weren't expecting any until the end of January last I checked. Verizon has not been charging people to swap their boxes out in store.

The 7216 performs well enough though and I can be expanded with an eSATA drive. It is cheap enough to do if drive prices come back down. If you have a 6416 though, get rid of it.

Posted by: Fios Rocket ()
Date: May 27, 2012 05:30PM

I wanted the new DVR Upgrade to the QIP 7232 until I read that the old REMOTES Codes don't work with this new DVR STB... So all your old remotes won't work nor will your SLINGBOX... I don't see any advantage other than the bigger disk drive. 160gb vs new 500gb... both are small by todays standards anyhow. Pay $3 more per month for the privilege of storing a few more programs... No Thanks!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.