HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I had my tint check today...
Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: December 23, 2007 06:44PM

Driving tonight with my family, I pulled onto a road where I looked over my shoulder and ther was a marked cruiser shaddowing my blind spot.

A check of my speed, showed no worries however, the cruiser puller behind me and lit me up.

The officer asked how long I had my windows tinted - I replied with the answer (of a LONG time)...

I was asked if I did the work - I said no, I paid to have it done. He then asked me to roll down the windows (back) which I did then the front one up a bit. I did.

He slid a tint meter over the roll down (without any visible validation or site calibration).

It showed something like 28% light transmission.

He said I was to have no less than 50% transmission and my glass was illegal.

No, I said. I have a waiver. It showed on my registration, he disagreed, saying I needed a copy of the waiver. I stated that was not the case in the past 12-14 years...

From the DMV Web site:
The vehicle owner will receive a new registration card with "sunshading" printed in the Special Conditions space. This registration card serves as verification that the vehicle is authorized to have sunshading.

So he then said, ok, 35 (percent) is not 28%. I said there is an allowed variance and he again disagreed.

I found this on the tint meter site quoted in the FFU Wiki page:
NOTE: Be sure glass area to be measured is free of dirt, debris, and moisture.

I am sure that my rain soaked vehicle that I have not washed since the salt/snow was all over it would not have reduced transmission, right?

Anyways, a few minutes later, I was back on my way, no problem. But why the bother?

I appreciate the professionalism offered however, the stop was not warranted, as a roadway run of the tag would have come back with sunshading on the record for the vehicle, don't ask me how I know...

Here is the manual for the meter: http://www.laser-labs.com/M1and2Training.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I had my tint check today...
Posted by: joe ()
Date: December 23, 2007 07:27PM

28% light transmission? Holy hell, how do you see out your window?

Date: December 23, 2007 07:30PM

joe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 28% light transmission? Holy hell, how do you see
> out your window?

28% is actually, lighter than what you would see on the back of SUV's and minivans with factory dark glass. Much lighter.

I do imagine my windows are at 35%, or VERY close however, the dirty glass and wet surfaces played a part in the lower than 35% reading.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: December 23, 2007 08:25PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
> 28% is actually, lighter than what you would see
> on the back of SUV's and minivans with factory
> dark glass. Much lighter.

Yes, but that is on the back and rear-side windows. The driver and passenger windows have regulations.

Date: December 23, 2007 08:39PM

joe Wrote:
> ffxn8v Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 28% is actually, lighter than what you would
> see
> > on the back of SUV's and minivans with factory
> > dark glass. Much lighter.
>
> Yes, but that is on the back and rear-side
> windows. The driver and passenger windows have
> regulations.

Joe, please go back arnd read my initial post. I have a waiver, therefore my front roll down windows could be tinted 35%

(my entire front windshield could be tinted as well, but it is not ;) )

Posted by: f ()
Date: December 23, 2007 11:07PM

according to your own narrative you are within 1% if not actually below the legal limit EVEN with your sunshade allowance.

probable cause commonly defined as: "a reasonable belief that a crime has been committed"

So not only was the cop right about you being under the limit normally...but also WITHIN 1% (according to you) of being below the limit even with your allowance...and youre thinking he has no reason to stop you????

2: where does it say a "roadway run of the tag" is required before making a stop? in your street lawyer handbook?

all this and you didnt even get a ticket...be thankful you prick.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: December 23, 2007 11:28PM

Why do people put stupid stuff on their cars that say STOP ME....and then wonder why they get stopped?

Posted by: kevin ()
Date: December 24, 2007 12:31AM

He should have just written the ticket and let you run your mouth to the judge. That would waste atleast 3 hours of your time.You are a punk and need to learn to respect our pigs more, or move.

Date: December 24, 2007 06:03AM

RIF guys, geez...

a dirty piece of glass WILL read less than a clean piece of glass, why should I have to advise someone on how to do their job?

As far as me being a prick, etc., whatever. I was polite and simply advised the officer on why he was unclear of his perception of the law.

If you saw my vehicle, you would not look at the tint the way some cars are tinted around here and with a medical waiver, I am ALLOWED to have the tint, what part of THAT don't you all understand? Again, RIF.

Sorry for the post(s) then on explaining some of the "testing" errors on the light meters. I was trying tobe helpful, should one of yo all get pulled over and have the same roadside chat.

I will let you all do your own homework and explain it then to your parents when you get busted.

Nice.

Posted by: Native ()
Date: December 24, 2007 02:19PM

I have had my tint put on at the tinting place across from Ihop in Centreville. My tint is 5% all around minus the front window. I was driving with the tint on for the last 3 years and was only pulled over once and at the time it read 3% and the cop let me go. I have 80's Monte Carlo, I told the cop I get my car broken in and I have had my electronics stolen a few times ( which is true) and he let me go. I was never bothered again , I sometimes drive right next to the cop with my windows up and they stil don't bother me. I dont have a waiver

Posted by: native ()
Date: December 24, 2007 02:20PM

I think unless they have another reason that they want to pull you over for or if the cop is just bored and behind you they won't stop you

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: December 24, 2007 03:44PM

I believe the blunt smokers handbook says you should have much less than 50% for blunts smoking and at least 20% for bowl smoking crack and weed.

Now if your just concealing the fact that you are an illegal immigrant or drinking a cold 40 behind the wheel than 30% should work.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.