HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pannonni Hired at South County
Posted by: SoCo ()
Date: July 11, 2011 09:50AM

How could South County hire a guy who has wrecked 3 programs already?

Lee- losing record
WTW- quit after 2 seasons
Centreville-destroyed once proud program

And he gets another shot? What does this tell the young assistants out there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pannonni Hired at South County
Posted by: CERTenlyoriginal ()
Date: July 11, 2011 10:05AM

I love pannini's, they taste real good, better than Tippy's taco.

Posted by: Chefboy ()
Date: July 11, 2011 10:14AM

why would SC hire a sandwich to coach the football team? What were they thinking?

Posted by: usmarine7985 ()
Date: July 14, 2011 08:18PM

Maybe the Schools should just hire FOOTBALL coaches instead of always insisting they're teachers. Retreads and dickheads.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: July 15, 2011 02:14PM

Wasn't he at West Springfield at some point as well?

Posted by: Knowitall ()
Date: July 16, 2011 09:07AM

Yes. He's been to many schools and usually flames out after about 2-3 years. This time frame has been a constant. Look it up. PArents, students and admin get tired of his act very quickly.

Posted by: D ()
Date: July 18, 2011 03:17PM

Fuck you all i played for pannoni this last year and he was the greatest coach i have ever had. He has a great work ethic and does everything he can to get the best results from his players. Lee blew dick with pannoni because the blacks there have a horrible work ethic. He trained all the kids at centervile and because of him they did very well this year. So dont talk shit about a man you faggots have probably never met or played ball for.

Posted by: Sal Pal ()
Date: July 18, 2011 04:19PM

Centerville sucked for TWO seasons when he was head coach. It wasnt just one season. By the way, those were the ONLY two losing seasons in the HISTORY of Centerville football. Just a coincedence? Get lost.

Posted by: sal pal's a dick ()
Date: July 18, 2011 06:22PM

Pannonni is the best coach ive ever had, made me a lot better thru out my high school career. the only people who have a problem with him are bitches who dont want to work. how bout u stop doggin on somebody you havent played for. pannonni's the fuckin man

Posted by: Sal Pal can suck a dick ()
Date: July 18, 2011 06:33PM

Pannonni was such a fucking bro. He was the chillest guy off season, gave Woodson some of the best training workouts weve had in a long time. On the field he was a yeller, but didn't yell for stupid reasons. You make a mistake, you get yelled at, you do it right then, youre better. Thats how Pannonni worked. For Lee, sure blame entire years of shittyness on one coach, For Woodson first time he won the fricken 2004 Region. For centreville, maybe he did train well for the next year who knows. For woodson the second time, he wasnt even the head coach. Basically most high school football high school players dont really wanna work hard, its not in our blood. Thats why when a hard coach comes along he doesnt really get alot of popularity. Thats why everyone at LB loves their coaches because theyre not hard on them which has done very well on them.

Posted by: bob2 ()
Date: July 18, 2011 06:38PM

The talent level was clearly down the years that Pannoni was coaching at Centerville. Why do think Skinner stepped down? He knew what was about to come. The talent level was high last year and even better this year because all of the good players are still there and are a year older.

Posted by: GetReal ()
Date: July 18, 2011 06:48PM

Here is his total record:
Centreville, 3 years, 10-21, one winning season (1st year with the team he inherited)
Lee, 4 years, 21-29, one winning season
Woodson, 2 years, 14-9, one winning season (1st year with the team he inherited)
So in 9 years as a head coach his record is 45-59 (43% win rate) and he has only had three winning seasons.

He may be a great position/lifting coach, but with this record he has proven himself to be a below average head coach.

Posted by: Sal Pal ()
Date: July 18, 2011 08:02PM

I love the "Panoni's a great coach" posts. They have NOTHING to back them up. All I see here is a bunch of benchwarmer players with no minds of their own sticking up for a crazy coach because he almost killed them in the offseason and they are gratefull to him for letting them live.

The proof is in the pudding. The guy averages THREE seasons per school as a head coach. That is unheard of. It speaks volumes. Something goes wrong at every school he has been at behind the scenes. Lets make predictions right now on how long he lasts at SC. Im gonna guess 3 seasons once again. That seems to be his favorite amount of time at a given school.

Posted by: Sports Novice ()
Date: July 19, 2011 04:54AM

Sal Pal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The proof is in the pudding. The guy averages
> THREE seasons per school as a head coach. That is
> unheard of. It speaks volumes. Something goes
> wrong at every school he has been at behind the
> scenes. Lets make predictions right now on how
> long he lasts at SC. Im gonna guess 3 seasons
> once again. That seems to be his favorite amount
> of time at a given school.

Bear with the question, but am wondering who is responsible for hiring coaches in the school system?
Is this just a principal's decision or something done in a more centralized way?
Is coaching in HS like college where schools draw in coaches to pump up the reputation of a school?

Posted by: BitterCoach ()
Date: July 19, 2011 11:03AM

Unfortunately football head coach’s selection in FCPS has two components: who you know and are you a teacher. Because of this school teachers who are “in” with the right crowd get the selections. Technically the principal has the final say on all hires in his/her school but most of them defer to the DSA and the DSA network is full of a bunch of good-ole-boys! At most schools the decision is not based on who will give me the best program/best record but who will do whatever I want and cause the least problems for ME.

Pannoni with his 6 of 9 losing seasons and sub .500 record is a perfect example of this. The DSA (one of his butt buddies) at WTW wanted to give him the WTW job but the parents complained to the principal and he forced an honest coach’s search/selection. The SC DSA was a BB coach at WTW and is also a butt buddy with Pannoni, that's how he got the job.

BTW, the current freshman coach (Brian Judd) at SC has had undefeated seasons at SC as the head coach of the freshmen and JV teams in the past, he has also been a position coach for the varsity. Additionally, he is a highly respected head youth coach who has won the metro bowl championship and has a lifetime record in the 70-80 percent range. But he’s not a teacher and he’s not kissing the DSA’s ass, so he doesn’t even get an interview. In the last 10-12 head coach selections in FCPS, only two were based on merit.

So if you are a young coach who aspires to be a head coach one day don’t waste your time studying football, going to clinics and learning how to lead young men – suck up to your DSA and he will take care of you when the time comes.

Posted by: Sour Coach ()
Date: July 19, 2011 06:25PM

Well said, Bitter Coach. Everything you said was right on. The only true coaching hire that I know of in this county recently was the Dishun hire at Woodson. And that hire was made by the principal (Jeff Yost) because the crooked DSA at Woodson (Daniel Checkowsky) was hell bent on hiring his friend (Panoni) for the job instead of conducting a true coaching search. Too many crooked DSAs in this county. And the worst thing about this Woodson DSA (Daniel Checkowsky) is that he was hammering students last year who voiced that they were happy to see a new coach coming in. Apparently Checkowski was in love with Trey Taylor and cried into his pillow at night. So he took his anger out on kids when he came to work. What a deuche bag.

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: July 19, 2011 06:48PM

You guys have no clue about the hiring process at WTW. Guessing is not a very accurate way to get the truth. Other than parents complaining, you are not close.

The quality of coaching in this area is fading badly. The list of applicants at each opening have been disappointing. I feel sorry that DSA's and Principal's are excited to name a new coach and find the pool is frightenly shallow. This might be why some head coaches have remained beyond their effectiveness.

Many people have stated this before, but little league and below varsity football do not compare with varsity. It is not the same experience.

In terms of good old boy network, often the departing coach leaves a recommendation about each assistant in the program. Maybe that expalins Judd.

Posted by: Sour Coach ()
Date: July 20, 2011 09:58AM

Sorry, Chris. I wish you were correct, but I know for a fact that you are wrong. The quality of coaching is only "fading" if by fading you mean that these new coaches arent part of the good old boy network. The coaching hires by most of these DSAs are very rigged. I could go on in a lot of detail, but it would make it obvious who I am to certain individuals.

Dan Checkowsky and his lame attempt to hire his friend at Woodson represents what most DSAs are like in this county. Crooked and dishonest. Its good to see principals like JEff Yost out there are willing to step in and set these wannabe cowboy DSAs straight.

Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: July 20, 2011 01:52PM

Is Jeff Yost, Herb Yost's son? Herb was the football coach as McLean many, many years ago and then the DSA at Marshall.

Posted by: ????? ()
Date: July 20, 2011 02:31PM

slubdawg Wrote:
> Is Jeff Yost, Herb Yost's son? Herb was the
> football coach as McLean many, many years ago and
> then the DSA at Marshall.

Wasn't Yost involved in the Nick Stuban story somehow?

Posted by: Pannonni's ghosts ()
Date: July 20, 2011 02:44PM

Pannonni has a BIG MOUTH and does not understand what diplomacy is.

When he left Lee he trashed talk the school and the program to Woodson.

He then destroyed the program at Woodson and his horrid behavior led to nearly every senior quitting the team midway thru the season.

He has bounced around way too many times and that should tell you something.

South County should had asked around about him. He won't last two years.

Posted by: usmarine7985 ()
Date: July 22, 2011 01:40PM

If they're good football coaches they'll hire good football coaches as assistants and not just automatically hire teachers. I've coached with teachers that are horrible football coaches. The current staff I'm with doesn't give a shit about whether you're a teacher. They want FOOTBALL coaches. That's why they win baby...just win.

Posted by: 703-4-Life ()
Date: August 09, 2011 12:31PM

He was a steriod/drug pusher and he is a grade-a prick!

Most of the good players on Woodson's team his 2nd year quit - even the guys who earned scholarships. They forced him to leave because nobody would play for him.

Posted by: silly parents ()
Date: August 09, 2011 04:50PM

gotta love parents....I dare you to coach 1 game, let alone 1 season. Are you the same losers who coach NFL teams from your couch?

Posted by: coach ()
Date: August 09, 2011 04:57PM

I find that a good coach is not well liked by his players, but respected. a poor coach is good friends with his players, and thus not respected. Stats dont lie and either do the player comments on here.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: August 19, 2011 11:35AM

Pannoni is going all in. Talking about a region championship THIS year, and doing daily 6 hour practices, you have to be kidding me. He's making the seat hot for himself already. Here is his letter to the community.

SOUTH COUNTY SECONDARY SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Gerry Pannoni

Head Football Coach

Parents, Football Players, and Community Members,

It is indeed a pleasure to accept a teaching position and to become the Head Football Coach at South County Secondary School I have great respect for the job and the efforts you as players, parents and the school community have put forth in the past. I look forward to providing you with the leadership and a plan to take our football program to a place of excellence.

It is important that we begin as soon as possible to prepare for our opening game. Strength Training, Power, and Agility workouts will be held every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 2:00pm – 3:30pm for all 11th and 12th grade players and from 3:30pm – 5:00pm for all 9th and 10th grade players, in the Weight Room. Learning to believe in each other, trust each other, sweat for each other, encourage each other and work beyond our capabilities for each other is something we must accomplish now in order to be successful THIS season. As we begin a new chapter in OUR football history, what we do now is critical. It’s hopefully the finishing touches on the foundation which has been laid for a rise to the Northern Region Championship.

Football is not an individual game nor is it a game where success comes only from the players and coaches. Parents, families, faculty, administrative staff, and community members all have an important role in the development of our program. Each group will directly contribute to the players, program, and school and community success. If we, coaches and players, expect the utmost support, we must do our work and show that we will represent ourselves as gentlemen and champions every time we step on the field of play.

To the parents, faculty and community members, I look forward to meeting you over the next few months. We have scheduled a parents meeting for Saturday August 13th at 5pm in the Main Gym. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns regarding our program or any of the young adults in our program.

To the athletes, we look forward to getting to know each of you and assisting you in becoming the best possible person, student, and football player that you can be. As we build towards the 2011 season there are several important dates which will help us all prepare to become Region Champions. We are asking all players to participate in all team activities. The Football Staff realizes this is a huge commitment, but we also realize how sweet the rewards will be. As you preview the following list of competitions and camps, please note all dates and times .

Strength , Speed and Conditioning Workouts – July 11 – August 3

Varsity / junior varsity - 2:00pm – 3:30pm

Freshman - 3:30pm – 5:00pm

Football Day @ SoCo Stallion Combine – August 4- 7:00am - 12:00pm (paperwork turn in)

Equipment issue

Seniors – 8/1

Jrs/Soph – 8/3

Freshmen – 8/4

Practice Begins - 8/8 daily practice will run from 7:00am – 1: 00pm

Fundraiser Team Meeting (Mandatory) - 8/9 - 1pm Weight Room

Concussion Computer Training - 8/9 - 6:30 - 9:00pm in library

Schedule Card Fundraiser 8/13 am

Parent Meeting 8/13 5 PM

Blue / Green Game 8/13 7:00pm (Saturday)

If you have any questions contact Coach Pannoni at gpannoni@fcps.edu. Remember, your support is integral to the success of our program.

Posted by: Bob Knight ()
Date: August 19, 2011 11:53AM

WHAT?!?! Practices are 7am to 1pm?!?!?!

Good luck with that one, South County parents. Now it makes sense why all of these posters were on here warning parents about Panoni.

I hope the Robinson parents are watching. Panoni was Taylor's mentor. Taylor is just a bit smarter. He'll ease into his 6 hour practices. Only Panoni is dumb enough to start that up right after getting the job. Taylor will wait a year or 2 before he starts abusing the kids and their parents.

I guess an "I told you so!" will soon go out to the SC parents and students from all of the Panoni haters out there.

Posted by: Pat Knight ()
Date: August 19, 2011 01:59PM

Mr, Knight - please do us a favor and keep your uninformed commentary confined to the SYA powder puff football forum.

Posted by: Mile Brand ()
Date: August 19, 2011 03:26PM

I think's Bob commentary was pretty informed and appropriate considering there is a letter above from Panoni himself stating that he wants to have 7 hour practices.

Posted by: the truth about it ()
Date: August 19, 2011 04:13PM

LOL, 6 consecutive hours a day in the Summer, I would not be playing football. That must really suck. Pannoni better win the region or I am not sure how many kids will come back next year.

But in his defense it has been a week and a half and no South County parents have come on here complaining yet. They play Chantilly tonight in a scrimmage, if anyone goes let me know how they look.

Posted by: Bob Knight Junior ()
Date: August 19, 2011 07:16PM

Men (I assume) - please put down the Red Bull... EVERY high school football team has LONG August pactices, NEWS FLASH: they are called "two-a-days." Many schools, incl SC, now run 2 hour practices in the AM followed by a lunch break and then another 2 hour practice immediately afterward. This way your mommie does not have to leave her job and drive you back to the school at 4PM for the second session! Obviouisly you both quit your teams or you have never played. Fess up, which is it??? Please stop mis-informing the readers... you will only give more players bogus excuses to quit... "Coach was mean and made me work hard."

Date: August 19, 2011 07:45PM

Well when I was in school, two a days meant a practice in the morning, 6 or 7am then one in the early evening. Not a 7am-1pm practice, jesus. I have not heard of a school doing the 7am-1pm practice before, sounds stupid to me.

Posted by: Moron ()
Date: August 19, 2011 08:09PM

What idiot is pretending like that 7-1 practice is normal?! It's moronic. A true "2-a day" is a practice session early in the morning, and then one later in the early evening. THAT is a true Two a day. 7am to 1pm is retarded. Only an idiot would think that it okay. Gotta love the tough guys who come on here and act like 7 to 1 is normal. What a bunck of block heads! I played D1 football and semi-pro ball. Trust me 7 to 1 is idiotic.

Posted by: Bobbie Knight AKA Moron ()
Date: August 19, 2011 08:47PM

Please wake up, Clowns! Do you really think a single practice runs "7 to 1"? Smell the coffee and get informed. The VHSL has limits to the number of practice hours allowed per day/week. PAY ATTENTION!!!! Daily practice starts at 7 AM and runs till 9AM. Then break/lunch/films/lifting/naps/etc. until 11. Then 2 more hours of practice... 11-1. Schools that do this (and all are moving in this direction) do it to avoid having their players travel back-and-forth twice a day. Again - please stop mis-informing the readers!!!!

Posted by: region parent ()
Date: August 19, 2011 10:21PM

Bobbie Knight AKA Moron Wrote:
> Please wake up, Clowns! Do you really think a
> single practice runs "7 to 1"? Smell the coffee
> and get informed. The VHSL has limits to the
> number of practice hours allowed per day/week.
> PAY ATTENTION!!!! Daily practice starts at 7 AM
> and runs till 9AM. Then
> break/lunch/films/lifting/naps/etc. until 11. Then
> 2 more hours of practice... 11-1. Schools that do
> this (and all are moving in this direction) do it
> to avoid having their players travel
> back-and-forth twice a day. Again - please stop
> mis-informing the readers!!!!

Name me another school that does. I had 2 kids go through Westfield recently and they never did a thing like this. My nephew goes to Fairfax, they don't do it. When I played hs football I never saw that, it sounds abnormal to me.

Whether other schools are doing it or not, I would be against it.

Posted by: Hugo ()
Date: August 19, 2011 11:11PM

Sounds like that one guy above who is defending this whole 7 to 1 thing might be Panoni himself. My kids all played at Woodson and NEVER did anything remotely close to 7am to 1pm. Completely stupid. And the excuse to not have the kids come back to school in the evening is an even wose excuse. It's not like the kids live far from their school. Most kids live pretty close unless there is an unusual circumstance. This whole 7 - 1 thing proves why nobody wanted Panoni in the first place and why he had to beg for a HC job at SC. He'll be looking for another job within 2 years. Write that down...

Posted by: All of you are idiots ()
Date: August 20, 2011 12:26AM

McLean does this as well. It is also to avoid the hottest part of the day, which is 3 on. I don't know a thing about Pannoni but try and find something legitimate to criticize him on instead of a pretty normal practice schedule that only lasts two or three weeks. BFD. So lame.

Date: August 20, 2011 03:47AM

As a player, personally I liked the morning and early evening practices. I wouldn't want to stay at school all day. A 7pm practice feels better than a noon practice regardless of the temperatures, but if that's what some schools are doing so be it.

If anything, sounds like an excuse for the coaches to get home earlier more than anything it has to do with the players.

Posted by: Facts only please ()
Date: August 20, 2011 08:12AM

BTW - Fairax has moved to the new type of pre-season schedule. From the team's homepage: "JV and VARSITY practice from 7am - 1pm with a 1 hr break in between." (www.rebelgridiron.com The password is REBELS.)

Posted by: for Hugo ()
Date: August 20, 2011 08:22AM

Just the facts - WT Woodson has run the "7 - 1" type summer practice/break/practice routine for at least the past six years under three different coaches. The practice sched for Thursday 18 Aug was: 6:30am - 9:30am Break 10:30am-12:30pm Full Gear.

Posted by: hugo ()
Date: August 20, 2011 02:37PM

Thanks for recearching every school in the county and getting back to us, Coach Panoni. Now get back to work. While you were typing, 3 more kids just quit your program.

Posted by: hugo ()
Date: August 20, 2011 07:38PM

yes, you are correct. three players did quit and rushed home to mommy. she suggested they stay indoors and play x-box from 7 - 1. then, later, like Hugo, at age 30 they can look back and tell everyone how mean coach was. "He ruined the program... once I quit they all followed me." All the while Hugo regrets his decision and now surfs the net in search of a vicarious HS football experience. As Hugo's man rapped, "... one shot..." And, Hugo missed his.

Posted by: Manush ()
Date: August 20, 2011 09:14PM

Man, sounds like the poster from above needs to remove Panoni's Pepperoni from his rear. Why take it so personal when people call out a dumb small time high school football coach who is trying to act like he is a D1 coach? 7 to 1 is retarded. It doesnt matter how many schools do it.

Posted by: explain ()
Date: August 21, 2011 07:12AM

Please explain why 7 to 1 is retarded. I want to hear you logic.

Posted by: Pannoni's Pepperoni ()
Date: August 22, 2011 10:22AM

This county is filled with wimps.

Posted by: Pannoni's Pannini ()
Date: August 22, 2011 10:48AM

I agree. Way too many wimps in this county. The biggest wimps are the grown men who call themselves coaches and bully 14, 15, 16, and 17 year old kids on the football field.

Posted by: Woodson parent ()
Date: August 23, 2011 03:41PM

The practice schedule is debatable depending on the era. It is common for modern HS teams to put both 2-a-days together. The problem with Pannonni is not that he is tough, most HS football coaches are tough. The reason the Woodson parents rebelled against the possibility of Pannonni coaching their kids; the likely reason he has left two other schools with little explanation from either side, is that he has a temper that goes way beyond normal "tough football coach" tempers. Any of us who played ball at HS or above had coaches that screamed at us. the difference with Pannonni is that he is always a tantrum away from hitting a kid. Other coaches scream at players to get it right, to do pushups when they don't, or to run laps. Pannonni grinds on them with personal insults that go beyond any I've heard from a HS or college coach (that wasn't fired for doing so). One of the greatest college coaches ever (Woody Hayes), was eventually fired because he finally cracked and hit a player. The difference between Woody Hayes and Gerry Pannonni? Hayes knew how to Coach football. Pannonni just knows how to intimidate and cause players to hate the game. He's done so everywhere he's coached. He'll continue to do so now. Win or Lose, he'll be gone when he finally explodes on the wrong kid, or too many of them as happened a few years ago a Woodson.

Posted by: zultar ()
Date: August 24, 2011 10:45PM

ppl pannoni took lee from 0-10 to district champs 3 years later... he went to the regional championship at woodson as soon as he arrived.. when he went to centreville and didnt do to well... why??? all the talent was gone when westfield was built up!! Pannoni probably has the best weight training regime in the metro area.. if pannoni has decent athletes and they follow his lead they cant help but get better, thats a guarantee.. i played for him at lee, when they won the district, which has not been done since i might add.. w/o pannoni's help i would have never played college football, he really looks out for his players also..

Posted by: question 2 u ()
Date: August 25, 2011 12:07AM

zultar Wrote:
> ppl pannoni took lee from 0-10 to district champs
> 3 years later... he went to the regional
> championship at woodson as soon as he arrived..
> when he went to centreville and didnt do to
> well... why??? all the talent was gone when
> westfield was built up!! Pannoni probably has the
> best weight training regime in the metro area.. if
> pannoni has decent athletes and they follow his
> lead they cant help but get better, thats a
> guarantee.. i played for him at lee, when they won
> the district, which has not been done since i
> might add.. w/o pannoni's help i would have never
> played college football, he really looks out for
> his players also..

What did his weight training program consist of?

Posted by: cracking up at the pannoni defenders ()
Date: August 27, 2011 02:01PM

Pannoni uses the B.F.S. (Bigger Faster Stronger) program that is used by most big school high school programs these days. It is a good program but is the same wherever it is used. The only advantage one school would have over another is how seriously the program is applied. Also, just because he doesn't tell you he uses BFS, he uses it. the same drills and lifts are straight from the program guide - dot drills, low rep power lifts, power cleans broken into components,etc. etc. etc.

The key to success in Northern VA is who comes thru your program. Taylor at Woodson (now Robinson) is a lousy head coach/offense play caller, but he had a D1 quarterback 2 of the last three years. Woodson won with a terrible Defensive scheme but decent players. A good coach would've taken Woodson to state two years ago. Last year, the great players left and the true coaching ability came through. The only way high school coaches' true ability can be measured is how he does with a team with no talent. Every school has up and down years. Anybody can win with up years in talent. Good coaches are competitive in down years - maybe not winning the region, but a good coach doesn't get blown out over and over again the year after he won the district.

Good luck Robinson you'll need it. Good luck South County - you'll really need it.

Posted by: he be a hater ()
Date: August 27, 2011 03:05PM

OK, how i follow the logic, but there is no team other than Stone Bridge that can topple SoCo this year in DIV 5. so, when Pannoni makes the DIV 5 Nor Reg championshilp game against SB how will you ratioanlize away Pannoni's role??? You won't have the D1 QB excuse that you used to marginalize Taylor.

Posted by: doesnt matter what my name is ()
Date: August 27, 2011 04:32PM

what makes u so sure soco is gonna be in the finals vs SB in D5 finals, will soco get in playoffs because of D6 schedule but def no lock for anything, if what was witnessed the other night is close to being true, they could be in for a long year.

Posted by: soco truth ()
Date: August 27, 2011 07:14PM

he be a hater Wrote:
> OK, how i follow the logic, but there is no team
> other than Stone Bridge that can topple SoCo this
> year in DIV 5. so, when Pannoni makes the DIV 5
> Nor Reg championshilp game against SB how will you
> ratioanlize away Pannoni's role??? You won't have
> the D1 QB excuse that you used to marginalize
> Taylor.

How you rationalize Pannoni's role?

He is using players Bendorf coached up. He always has his best season the first year.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, he is in D5 which is weak as anything this year. Stone Bridge will cruise over the division as always, Hayfield made it to the final last year for Christ sake.

Posted by: somebody told soco truth a lie ()
Date: August 27, 2011 08:21PM

and Hayfield will make it back again this year also, as a person who has watched all three teams so far this season SB/Hayfield SOCO/Tilly SOCO/Hylton my take is def as it stands now SB/Hayfield

SB is who they are until beaten passing game held in check by Hayfield and word was they still didnt have all there secondary or QB also to include an all state safety, and they ran the ball for big chunks against them

SOCO pass defense didnt look good against Hylton, they play alot of man on defense and SOCO looks to grind it out with option, so force them to pass on offense like Hylton did and its a wrap(imo)

Posted by: Pannoni can't coach ()
Date: August 29, 2011 10:29AM

An earlier post mentioned that SoCo Freshman and JV coach was undefeated. Check out woodson's Frosh and JV records - watch a Taylor or Pannoni coached team you'll see one thing over and over again. They never substitute. Even if they are getting crushed by 3 td's and the other team empties the bench. Taylor and Pannoni teams never give their backups any playing time. A good coach thinks about the future and gives his backups experience when he can. Taylor and Pannoni coached teams don't even substitute in Freshman and JV games!!! In one game last year, the JV was down 35-0 and none of the backups got in the game. You want to know how to be competitive in a down year, bring as many experienced players to the field as you can. When did they get experience? Last year during Freshman, JV and Varsity games when they got a chance to get on the field. Taylor's a decent guy, but really a position coach not a head coach. Pannoni? IMO the man is a train wreck. If he acted in the classroom like he does on the practice field, he'd have been fired years ago.

Posted by: Observer2 ()
Date: September 02, 2011 09:44PM

The Man is about 5'7" tall, and yells incessantly at the kids, to cover up his own incompetence. He is a nightmare of a HS Football Coach. The rest of us, in the Concorde District, actually felt sorry for his C'Ville Teams - They didn't just get beat, they were humiliated, the year he went 1-9. Ugly losses to Robinson, Westfield, Chantilly, etc... Ironically, he trucked the players up to his alma mater for Camp that year - Frostburg State - They also went 1-9 that same year! Good Luck SoCo!

Posted by: told you so, so far anyway ()
Date: September 04, 2011 07:40PM

Coaches Taylor and Pannoni are a combined 0-2 with a total of zero points scored. Told ya so (so far)

Posted by: Love It ()
Date: November 11, 2011 10:22PM

Good job Coach Pannonni & SOCO happy you made it to the regional finals.

Date: November 11, 2011 11:34PM

umm news flash, they are not in the region finals and have a pretty good Stone Bridge team next week.

I have always said Coach Pannoni was a great coach though, and he has done another fantastic job after being bashed all summer on here.

Posted by: SC football player ()
Date: November 19, 2011 11:29AM

For all the pannoni haters out there, I'd just like to Point out that we dominated stone bridge and plan to be playing in the state championship on December tenth. Pannoni has different ways of working with kids and has led us on our nine game streak. I hope you all feel stupid for saying he'd do bad

Posted by: uwillsee ()
Date: November 19, 2011 12:35PM

Didnt he do the same with Lee the first year he was there?
Didnt he do the same with Woodson the first year he was there?

He does very well the first year, then the wheels come off and the program goes down hill.

South County was a favorite in the pre season, this is not a surprise.

Date: November 19, 2011 06:46PM

South County has always been a preseason favorite, and never delivered. Major props to Coach for getting them over the hump. At Lee he posted one a great record for that school, remember it is very up and down with talent over there.

The fact of the matter is, this guy has experienced winning at a high level every where he has gone (except Centreville)

Posted by: Annettep ()
Date: November 26, 2011 03:12AM

South County High School is the new Northern Region Championship. We are going on to the semi finals for state. All of you above who posted junk about this coach should be a bit embarrassed and a little mad that you spent so much time writing about this. (foolish I know) I do know some players quit the team at the beginning of the season too.... News Flash!!! They got better players to take your place... Go SOCO...

Posted by: Soco football player2 ()
Date: November 26, 2011 03:51PM

Yeah we won regionals, but i am almost positive we won't win next year because all of our star players are seniors but he was the best coach that we could have hired.

Posted by: read ()
Date: November 26, 2011 08:23PM

I'm rooting for soco but really, read the above posts. no one disregarded pannonni as a bad coach. He inherited a great senior class. He has always done great his first year inheriting a great team. We saw that with Woodson and Lee. It's what we see in the coming years. Next time you go off, read each post and you'll understand. You are repeating what almost everyone said.

Posted by: read2 ()
Date: November 26, 2011 10:48PM

Read the posts in this and other strings. Almost nowhere do they say he is a bad strategy coach. What was pointed out - correctly - was that he always does well first year. His way of dealing with players grows thin very quickly and you end up within 2-3 years with a bad situation - like when most of the Woodson seniors quit his last year there.

If he could ever get his people skills to match his football knowledge, then you would see some long term success at one school. Absent that, look for a repeat of every school at which he's coached.

Congrats to SoCo this year. I hope they keep it together as the years progress.

Posted by: tired ()
Date: November 29, 2011 12:40AM

read Wrote:
> I'm rooting for soco but really, read the above
> posts. no one disregarded pannonni as a bad coach.
> He inherited a great senior class. He has always
> done great his first year inheriting a great team.
> We saw that with Woodson and Lee. It's what we
> see in the coming years. Next time you go off,
> read each post and you'll understand. You are
> repeating what almost everyone said.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: November 29, 2011 01:11AM

Let's be accurate. He did not win his first year at Lee unless you call 0-10 winning. Instead, he built a great team, over time. He did inherit a strong team with great leaders who worked very hard at Woodson. However the class that followed them were not great leaders and wanted success without the effort. As for Centreville, that team is exactly where he predicted they would be now (only that was when the seniors now were starting as freshman). Now, at South County he is helping this team reach their full potential.

Posted by: Shorts and Sandles ()
Date: November 29, 2011 06:08AM

He is a good coach, he likes wearing shorts year around.

Posted by: states ()
Date: December 05, 2011 09:54AM

SoCo Wrote:
> How could South County hire a guy who has wrecked
> 3 programs already?
>
> Lee- losing record
> WTW- quit after 2 seasons
> Centreville-destroyed once proud program
>
> And he gets another shot? What does this tell the
> young assistants out there?

someone is going to states!!!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.