HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I NEED a job.
Posted by: native ()
Date: December 10, 2007 11:28PM

I really need to find a new job, I cant stand where I work now. I have graduated at 17 with a hs diploma and went into service, shortly after I got out on the medical discharge due to deployment injury that lended me with screws in my shoulder. I served for less then a year before I got out. Since then I have and still do hold a job at a high end gym. I work as a retail manager. I have worked for 10 months nowand can't stand getting ripped off on my pay as my GM always "forgets" the overtime that I work and I put in about 70 hours a week and bust my ass to keep the place up and get paid for about 50 hours on an average at $12 hour. I am at the end of the road with this job and need a change. I live on my own and hold a second part time job as a waiter. I would love to go back to school next semester and get started on my education.
I am asking for help if someone knows a place where I can lend a job. I don't mind the same pay of $12 but would like to be paid appropiratelly and get at least half ass recognition for the work I do. I dont mind working hard but at the same time I like to get paid for the hours I put in. I dont really want another retail job. I would like to work with professionals with possible room for advancement. I cant seem to think of a place such as that that doesnt require a degree or years of experience to get started, Please any word of advice??? BTW no way in hell I will work for commission.......

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I NEED a job.
Date: December 10, 2007 11:30PM

P.S. I consider myself pretty good with the money and saved up a considerate amount of money to survive for a few months should a new job have an extensive non-pay training, but preferably not....Thank You

Posted by: lol ()
Date: December 11, 2007 09:56AM

well, DEFINITELY don't go back to school... you'll just end up in a professional field where 1) you work over 40 hours and don't get paid any extra and 2) you get no recognition.

i'd go full time waiting tables... at least there a good job is usually recognized with cash, and more hours = more tips.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: December 11, 2007 10:07AM

i didnt read your whole post, sorry... but don't wait tables, and don't not go back to school...

find a nice job, get settled, start taking night classes or something... when your job finds out you got a degree, they'll start getting worried that they'll have to pay more to keep you there.. or find a better paying job while still working a decent one...

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: December 11, 2007 10:18AM

I suggest you consider jumping from one dead-end job to another without any desire to get a college degree. Then, by the time you are in your 50s, you can express your frustration at your meaningless life by running around ranting and cutting down Mexican flags like another veteran we all know and love.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 11, 2007 10:22AM

Go back to school. It's hard to find a high-paying job in this town unless you have a college degree (or some type of technical certification). Going to class and studying sure suck, but it will pay off. Sure, you might end up in a job where you don't get "recognition", but at least you will be on a career path instead of waiting tables. You also won't have the stress of working two jobs just to survive.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 11, 2007 10:28AM

Recognition doesn't pay for the hookers and blow, my friend...

Posted by: Busted ()
Date: December 11, 2007 10:58AM

Damnit EJ, stop posting as other people!
We all KNOW your a loser.

Posted by: § ()
Date: December 11, 2007 11:58AM

If you're getting ripped off with your current wages and have a quantifiable way to prove the hours you work (i.e.: log-on scripts / time sheet), then gently mention that you would really hate to go to the Dept. of Labor and BBB with this information (a mention of a family member that is a lawyer is also effective). If they fire you after your compliant, then get a lawyer and sue for back pay, fees AND damages. -§

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: December 11, 2007 12:12PM

The Washington Post is looking for proof readers. You might try there.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: December 11, 2007 12:17PM

John Galt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Heres what my signs say:
>
> NEED HEAD??
> CALL JOHN GALT
> 1-800-SUK-COCK

Posted by: dirtyharry ()
Date: December 11, 2007 12:37PM

Get a pest control applicators license. Work for another company for a couple of years and then start your own company.

If you want to go back to school, start at NOVA and finish your associates degree. Get an armed security guard license and you can easily make $15 per hour +, sitting there doing not much of anything. If you get GSA certification you can make between $22-26 per hour on government contracts. If you work night shift, there will be plenty of time to study.

Whatever you do don't let yourself get to down emotionally. That's half the battle. Also don't take these idiots on here serious. Many twisted assholes (regular posters) would happily give suicide advice to a depressed 5 year old just for kicks. Thank you for your service & sacrifice to our country. I'm sorry some Americans just don't understand that, or deserve it.

Posted by: Expensive Jeans ()
Date: December 11, 2007 12:51PM

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2009 10:16PM by Expensive Jeans.

Date: December 11, 2007 01:08PM

dirtyharry Wrote:
Thank you for your service & sacrifice to
> our country. I'm sorry some Americans just don't
> understand that, or deserve it.

dirtyharry-

You remind me of a typical Republican. "Thank you for your service & sacrifice...oh, and by the way, quit mooching off of my tax dollars! You got your shoulder f-d, tough. You need something from the VA? Screw you. Shut down the VA hospitals and give us all a tax break! You want insurance, pay for it yourself."

You people don't understand the meaning of "service and sacrifice." It is a big f-ing joke to you people. You throw around ideas like "giving your life for your country" and then pull the rug out from vets like this kid when they get back home.

Nobody on this board needs a lecture from an asswipe like you. You feel that strongly about this kid, have him e-mail his phone number to you, call him up and hire him (or find someone who will). Other than that, can it with all the "some Americans just don't understand it or deserve it" bullshit.

Date: December 11, 2007 02:07PM

I don't mind waiting tables for NOW, PART-time. I end up making about $1200 extra a month from working about 2 or 3 nights over the weekend. I just need a new full-time job, preferably with a better pay but I can stay at the same pay. I just moved to Centreville from Alexandria and my commute went from 4 miles to more like 20 miles each way. I work in Arlington. I originally applied at the Alexandria location gym but ended up getting transferred to Arlington . Yes my GM knows what he is doing and he is the ony one that sees and sighns of on the time sheets. He can modify and change hours without anyones approval or supervision. I am not even complaining about the pay anymore I just want to get out of that place before going postal.

Posted by: BR ()
Date: December 11, 2007 02:48PM

native Wrote:

> I am asking for help if someone knows a place
> where I can lend a job. I don't mind the same pay
> of $12 but would like to be paid appropiratelly
> and get at least half ass recognition for the work
> I do. I dont mind working hard but at the same
> time I like to get paid for the hours I put in. I
> dont really want another retail job. I would like
> to work with professionals with possible room for
> advancement. I cant seem to think of a place such
> as that that doesnt require a degree or years of
> experience to get started, Please any word of
> advice??? BTW no way in hell I will work for
> commission.......

Got any admin skills? There might be a law firm, consulting office or association job that you could move into answering phones and doing general office stuff. The flipside is that you'll likely need a four year degree for any sort of advancement...and even if they don't require it initially you'll probably be competing against folks who are. But that doesn't mean you couldn't break into something like that.

Those types of jobs often make the office run and, while it's questionable how rewarding you'll find that kind of job long term, a good employee will earn lots of respect from their superiors.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 11, 2007 03:09PM

Is it really that hard to just go out and find another job that pays 12 bucks an hour? I would guess most jobs in that salary range turn over fairly quickly, and it would be fairly easy to find something similar. Maybe try applying at a few other gyms, you already have experience at one. Look into temping, you might be able to land something that will give you practical business experience, or something that could lead to a permanent position.

Date: December 11, 2007 03:37PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Is it really that hard to just go out and find
> another job that pays 12 bucks an hour? I would
> guess most jobs in that salary range turn over
> fairly quickly, and it would be fairly easy to
> find something similar. Maybe try applying at a
> few other gyms, you already have experience at
> one. Look into temping, you might be able to
> land something that will give you practical
> business experience, or something that could lead
> to a permanent position.

It's probably not that hard, but let's be honest. Jobs that pay $12 an hour suck. He won't find a better job at that wage anywhere.

Posted by: bender ()
Date: December 11, 2007 03:50PM

Get your four year degree and become a teacher. The only job where you get off the whole summer with pay. Not to mention a couple of weeks off at Christmas and a week at Easter and Thanksgiving. Throw in all the Federal and State holidays and you have yourself an eight month year of work while getting a full years salary.

Posted by: John Galt ()
Date: December 11, 2007 04:13PM

I'll pay you 12.50/hr to put up signs and enforce that they stay up. If you see someone taking them down you MUST pummel them into a bloody pulp.
If you do not do the above not only will you not get paid, I will pummel YOU into a bloody pulp.
I am John Galt and I am a force to be reckoned with.

Posted by: Mirror on the Wall ()
Date: December 11, 2007 04:51PM

Fairfax MF---er Wrote:
> I suggest you consider jumping from one dead-end
> job to another without any desire to get a college
> degree. Then, by the time you are in your 50s, you
> can express your frustration at your meaningless
> life by running around ranting and cutting down
> Mexican flags like another veteran we all know and
> love.

Or you could find a job where they pay you to sit on your ass and post 100s of retarded messages to a web board all day during working hours while not getting anything else done. That's right f---tard, I'm talking about you.

Date: December 11, 2007 04:56PM

Mirror on the Wall Wrote:
> Fairfax MF---er Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I suggest you consider jumping from one
> dead-end
> > job to another without any desire to get a
> college
> > degree. Then, by the time you are in your 50s,
> you
> > can express your frustration at your
> meaningless
> > life by running around ranting and cutting down
> > Mexican flags like another veteran we all know
> and
> > love.
>
> Or you could find a job where they pay you to sit
> on your ass and post 100s of retarded messages to
> a web board all day during working hours while not
> getting anything else done. That's right
> f---tard, I'm talking about you.

Hah! If only you knew the truth.

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: December 11, 2007 07:26PM

I have just the opportunity for you. If you are up for the challenge...

This job certainly meets all of your criteria. No college needed, room for advancement, great benefits.

Perhaps no professional group other than police is subjected so continually to the range of physical and mental stress under the hazardous conditions commonly encountered in police work. Each candidate must be thoroughly evaluated to determine if his or her abilities are compatible with the duties and responsibilities of a police officer.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/police4a.htm

Police Officer $45,741 - $74,508
Police Officer First Class $52,734 - $77,914
Master Police Officer $70,516 - $81,632
Sergeant Police Officer $67,159 - $85,713

Shift Differential Pay: .90 for evening shift and 1.30 for midnights

Career Development: Officers are eligible for promotion to Police Officer First Class after two years of satisfactory service. Promotion to Master Police Officer is a competitive process open to PFC's with seven years of satisfactory service. Promotion to supervisory positions is accomplished through a competitive testing process.

Posted by: Great job! ()
Date: December 11, 2007 07:38PM

dirtyharry-

I have the best job opportunity for you yet. Why bust your ass and waste your time on an education. You can make ridiculous amounts of money in a second. Go to DC and prostitute yourself for money. Hey you might not have any self respect but hey you have money. I hear you make ridiculous amounts for a ZJ :)

Posted by: SE ()
Date: December 11, 2007 09:22PM

I suggest 1) go to college or 2)post your resume on craigslist. you will definitly receive 100 calls that week for jobs under $15/hr.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: December 11, 2007 09:33PM

I would try the sherriffs office first. They aren't as picky and only pay a little less. FFX PD is nearly impossible to get into even being ex military.

Schrute Wrote:
> I have just the opportunity for you. If you are
> up for the challenge...
>
> This job certainly meets all of your criteria. No
> college needed, room for advancement, great
> benefits.
>
> Perhaps no professional group other than police is
> subjected so continually to the range of physical
> and mental stress under the hazardous conditions
> commonly encountered in police work. Each
> candidate must be thoroughly evaluated to
> determine if his or her abilities are compatible
> with the duties and responsibilities of a police
> officer.
>
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/police4a.htm
>
> Police Officer $45,741 - $74,508
> Police Officer First Class $52,734 - $77,914
> Master Police Officer $70,516 - $81,632
> Sergeant Police Officer $67,159 - $85,713
>
> Shift Differential Pay: .90 for evening shift and
> 1.30 for midnights
>
> Career Development: Officers are eligible for
> promotion to Police Officer First Class after two
> years of satisfactory service. Promotion to Master
> Police Officer is a competitive process open to
> PFC's with seven years of satisfactory service.
> Promotion to supervisory positions is accomplished
> through a competitive testing process.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: December 11, 2007 10:07PM

My first office job that I got was thru a temp agency in Tysons Corner.
I found their add while looking for work at Virginia Employment Commision office in Greenbriar.

I had no college degree, but had a solid knowledge of various computer software.

After working with the temp agency for 8 month, I landed a full time gig at the place where I temped. From there, I just went on switching jobs, etc.

Temp agencies are good in finding office work. Pay is atleast $10 an hour, ofthen there is overtime, which is time and a half.

And if you can - go back to school.

Posted by: Ronald Mexico ()
Date: December 11, 2007 10:27PM

I also got my first job through a temp agency in Tyson's, doing general office stuff, and made around $12/hour. They sent me to the HQ of a huge company in the area, and I took some computer classes ("call the name where America trains. Ameritrain!), and ended up full time on the help desk. Now, 6 years later, I'm a network engineer making ~100K.

Date: December 11, 2007 11:40PM

Making 100K as a Network Engineer with 6 yrs experience & no college degree (comp. "classes" dont count) is impossible as a perm employee. Sr. Network Engineers with 8-10 yrs exp are lucky if they make that, with a bunch of certs and no degree. Now if you are a contractor (1099 or W2 hourly no benes) I might believe you.

Date: December 12, 2007 01:37AM

What kind of work can I do working for the Sherriff's office??? ADC/Correctional??? It would be great to work for the county but I think you have to be 21 to work for the Sherriffs office dont you ?

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: December 12, 2007 08:50AM

Find all the info you want here:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/sheriff/

Yes, you do have to be 21 to be a certified law enforcement officer in this state. Fairfax County PD will hire people under 21 and make them cadets. Cadets just run errands and stuff, but you get the benefit of working inside the police department and learning a lot of stuff that will help you when you turn 21 and get to become a police officer.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 12, 2007 08:55AM

ugh... this is exactly the kind of person that should NOT be allowed to be a cop.

... and get at least half ass recognition for the work I do.

this psyche = "RESPECT MY AUTHORATAY!"

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: December 12, 2007 11:28AM

Schrute Wrote:
> Find all the info you want here:
>
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/sheriff/
>
> Yes, you do have to be 21 to be a certified law
> enforcement officer in this state. Fairfax County
> PD will hire people under 21 and make them cadets.
> Cadets just run errands and stuff, but you get
> the benefit of working inside the police
> department and learning a lot of stuff that will
> help you when you turn 21 and get to become a
> police officer.

The guy has screws in his shoulder. Not sure he could pass the physical fitness requirement.

Date: December 12, 2007 01:47PM

Believe me when I say I am physically fit. I have recovered and overcame my shoulder injury. At my weight in at the gym last night I stand at 6"0 246 lbs with 12% body fat. I can power clean close to 400 lbs so I don't consider my shoulder and a few screws a hold back. YOu have to remember half of the NFL players have hardware in their body and live it the entire life and still manage to play in the pros.
I wouldn't mind being a cop but I dont exactly want to do traffic.......
How would they feal about 8 points on my license or as long as its vaid??

Date: December 12, 2007 01:52PM

You dont have to do traffic...and the points are ok. I know quite a few cops with horrible driving records and it didnt affect them.

Posted by: § ()
Date: December 12, 2007 02:30PM

I'd quit the dead-end gym job in Arlington. How can you justify the commute with that paycheck? I'd just look for a gym in Centreville or a neighboring area because I'm certain that with the retail attrition rates where they are, you wouldn't have any problem finding another gym to hire you.

On the other hand, if you want to put some work in and assuming you don't have a heavy financial liabilities, take out a loan and get your degree. Try to find a school that is affordable where you won't have to take out high interest private loans that bridge the gap between the tuition and loan amount through the government. Federally guaranteed rates will be sub-4% in 2011 and next year will be sub-6%.

Take advantage of this opportunity and delay your gratification. Just make sure you don't major in art history with a minor in backpacking. -§

Date: December 12, 2007 02:49PM

damn and I was just going to sighn up for art history with minor in backpacking.... oh well.
As of right now I make about 36k a year AFTER taxes and with BOTH of my jobs. I do have my own rent . I just moved out of my apartment and moved in this "basement apartment" at half the cost and I have my own entrance, bathroom and a separate bedroom. A lot like my old apartment except its in someone house but its a small sacrifice to make for a lot of savings. I have a brand new car that I bought a year ago and have pretty high payment. I established pretty good credit. After receiving my deployment pay I opened up a SECURED credit card with $5000 limit and I never put more then $1000 on that credit card. Even if I max my other credit cards my debt to available credit ration is always high. I might quit my waiting job if I can find a good paying LOCAL job and go to school after at the beginning of next year. Either way I am going to school starting 2008 no matter what the circumstances are.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: December 12, 2007 03:33PM

Yeah i need a job when I go to college too. My dad said he wouldnt pay my tuition if I majored in pottery even though im totally good at it. Like Duh how am I supposed to affoard that kinda doh making pottery......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2007 03:34PM by ferfux.

Date: December 12, 2007 03:53PM

ferfux Wrote:
> Yeah i need a job when I go to college too. My
> dad said he wouldnt pay my tuition if I majored in
> pottery even though im totally good at it. Like
> Duh how am I supposed to affoard that kinda doh
> making pottery......

Who the hell needs a college degree to make pottery? Not sure I've ever gone by buy a piece of pottery and said, "I wonder if the person who made this has a Fine Arts Degree?" Hell, most handmade pottery is made by Peruvian Indians with no education at all.

Your father is right. Going to college for pottery is a total waste of money.

Date: December 12, 2007 03:55PM

I am going to mail the Police Cadet application today but I doubt I will get accepted with a bad driving record but who knows.....

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: December 12, 2007 04:02PM

become a fire fighter

Date: December 12, 2007 04:07PM

I dont want to be a firefighter. I know a few police officers personally that work for FFX county and be willing to write me a letter of recommendation but once again I am not sure how they feel about bad driving recordds

Posted by: dude you sux ()
Date: December 12, 2007 04:21PM

people have given you like 100 ideas and you don't like any of them. not to mention you are here asking for job advice from a bunch of degenerate scum.

you suck at life and you are gay. best of luck to you...........

Date: December 12, 2007 04:27PM

Wow,ok. Someone's having a bad day.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 12, 2007 10:44PM

I like to think of myself as "progressive" scum.

Posted by: dirtyharry ()
Date: December 13, 2007 06:56AM

You could be a surgeon. Fairfax MF er is thinking about getting a full sex change operation. Vaginiaplasty and double D implants would make you probably $35,000 !

Fairfax MF er will have to pay over time on a percentage of every blow job he gives at rest stops and airport bath rooms.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.