HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Chilla Villa Motel Location
Posted by: Ratamacue ()
Date: June 20, 2011 06:46PM

Does anyone know exactly where the old Chilla Villa Motel used to reside
on RT. 50 near Fairfax City? Know, it was about 17 miles West of DC and
looking for its former approx. location in reference to modern-day building
structures/establishments. Appreciate any old-timers help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chilla Villa Motel Location
Posted by: kewaywi ()
Date: June 20, 2011 09:22PM

I'm pretty sure it was at the current site of the Shell (?) gas station at 50 and Jermantown Rd.

Posted by: Chantillyer ()
Date: June 20, 2011 09:36PM

My memory of the early 70's of that stretch of Rt. 50 is as follows (going eastbround from Stringfellow Road):

Arco (and then Gino's) in front of Greenbriar on the southbound sign (a small working farm on the north); continuing on the southbound side, the King of Kings Lutheran Church; then some houses, then Pender Veterinary at West Ox; then a golf driving range; then Rt. 66, then a few more houses, then the Chilla Villa, right before Jermantown Road.

Posted by: Brody Levesque ()
Date: June 21, 2011 01:48AM

The following postcard [jpegs] courtesy of the Special Collections, George Mason University Library:
Attachments:
Chilla-Villa Motel Fairfax.jpg
Chilla-Villa.jpg

Posted by: Bullwinkle ()
Date: June 21, 2011 06:25AM

Chilla Villa was on rt 50. About 200 yards east of the overpass at 66. Approximately where Laurel Lakes Square ends.

Posted by: oleFart ()
Date: June 21, 2011 10:07AM

Wow! The Chilla Villa in its glory. We saw it as "Rooms by the hour. Sheets extra". I thought it was located between Waples Mill Road and Laurel Lakes, closer to Waples Mill. Cool post card. Thank you.

Posted by: ProVallone ()
Date: June 21, 2011 10:08AM

That building just screams "whores & junkies welcome"

Posted by: just me ()
Date: June 21, 2011 10:27AM

Wondering if its a place that ProVallone visited many times if it screams "WHORES & JUNKIES WELCOME"

Date: June 22, 2011 07:36PM

Great thanks to kewaywi, Chantillyer and Bullwinkle for pinpointing the former location of the Chilla Villa. Brody Levesque's offering of the postcard was an added bonus!

Brings back memories... driving from Chantilly/Greenbrier house with siblings past the the Chilla Villa toward Fairfax city in the late 60's for hamburgers at the Fairfax McDonald's and heading to 'Toys R Us' on Rt. 29 near, Rt. 50 intersection for TOYS and everything GI JOE! The old 'Toys R Us' had a neat neon sign of Geoffrey the Girafffe's neck n' head that lit-up the road. It's long-gone and was West/near what is now the Guitar Center.

Posted by: Gary Cox ()
Date: August 09, 2011 09:53PM

I grew up on West Ox Road. My Grandfather Graydon Cox owned a small farm to the right of the Bright Yellow Chilla Villa Motel. As a child spending many summers there I was told to never walk over there. It is true that it was used a lot as a No Tell Motel. In it last days there apparently was a large bust there and to the surprise of many...local police were on the wrong side of the law during the bust if you know what I mean.

Location? It was not at the present Shell station. It was wets of that Shell station. Presently if you look at that tall highrise that faces rt 50...you will notice a very large Oak tree in front with a picnic table under it. That was in the front of my grandfather's house....to the left of the house was about a half acre pond...and right there on the other side of the fence sat "The Scary Chilla Villa."

Just for kicks there also used to be a Nash Car dealership right across from my grandfather's house.

As a chiild my grandparents really scared us away from ever venturing over there. Today looking back...it seems like the Norman Bates Motel!

Posted by: Hey ()
Date: August 10, 2011 08:42AM

About 30 years ago, I talked to a guy who's relatives had something to do the the CV hotel.
His uncle had the idea to try and raise Chinchillas behind the motel site for fur, hence the name of the hotel.
Anyone who remembers, Right west of the current Waples mill road (Wendy's etc.), there was a left turn. CV was at that intersection.
The road Made a 90 deg right turn behind the motel where it wound into a neighborhood with large lots called Random Hills that ran parallel to Rt. 50.
Of course, with the development, it is unrecognizable today.

Posted by: curious cat ()
Date: August 10, 2011 04:32PM

Does anyone know what decade the motel was closed and demolished? I have no memory of it in my lifetime.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: August 10, 2011 04:51PM

all I know is that a) it's an awesome name for a place and b) I miss that Geoffrey the Girafffe sign.........

Date: August 10, 2011 06:31PM

Thanks Gary Cox and Hey for the updated info. The area continues to become
more- unreconizable with each passing year! Gettin' old and missing the
past landmarks... Geoffrey the Giraffe signage included, Gordon.
The World's Biggest Toy Store; WAS... Toys R Us (w/ the backward R.)

Posted by: Chilla expert ()
Date: August 10, 2011 10:40PM

My bus in elementry school actually used to pick up the daugher of the owners of the chilla villa motel. The Chilla Villa motel used to be on a side road that was directly across Waples Mill Rd at the light at rt. 50. You used to be able to go directly across on Waples Mill. There is now a building sitting on the site of the old Chilla Villa motel. The girls name was Shelia and her parents ran the chilla Villa motel.

Posted by: sketchball ()
Date: August 11, 2011 12:50AM

Were they super sketchy? That's just what I picture.

Posted by: Joe Reece ()
Date: August 11, 2011 09:47AM

The Chilla Villa was at the corner of Random Hills Rd and Rt. 50. Random Hills Rd had since been "moved" a block back. So it would be Shirly Gate and 50 now. Exactly where two office buildings are bulit now. Random Hills used to cross Rt. 50 and become waples Mill. I very much remember the motel being torn down.

Posted by: gardenwoman ()
Date: January 11, 2014 11:48AM

ANYONE REMEMBER 'STONE HOUSE'-----ZANY COMMUNIAL HOUSE....WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE LAKE BEHIND THE CHILLA VILLA...

Posted by: jcman01 ()
Date: January 11, 2014 03:51PM

I hear that Mohammed Ali wanted to have a boxing match there, but they couldn't come up with a catchy title used for marketing.

Posted by: manila vanilla ()
Date: January 11, 2014 04:02PM

jcman01 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear that Mohammed Ali wanted to have a boxing
> match there, but they couldn't come up with a
> catchy title used for marketing.

Good one.

I guess "Exciting Event at Chilla Villa" isn't catchy enough?

Posted by: 16 Speed Road Ranger Airshift ()
Date: January 11, 2014 08:07PM

The Chilla Villa was a roadmark on the way into Fairfax about where the new road goes thru from 50 to 29 on the left. When you saw the Chilla Villa it was time to get off the throttle and gear down for the City line, in later years jake braking all the way. That was before Fair Oaks was built in 79 opened in 1980. Slow her down brother pull off near Camp Washington walk to the Green Dolphin on 29 for a cold one to wash the road dust down. Wont be long for a good nights rest at the Highway Motel after some grub at Bobs Diner. Remember now the Rt 50 is US Route 50 Sacramento Ca. to Ocean City Md.

Keep on trucking Bros, and remember you only need theree things to be a real truck driver.

1. Western Cowboy style Double Clutching Gear Jamming Boots
2. Three Speed hat
3. Chain Drive Wallet

Well 4 really.. A Ruger 44 magnum Super Black Hawk in the cab over under the mattress

Posted by: Old 16 speed Here ()
Date: January 11, 2014 08:11PM

Dag Blame it.. the road to the right coming on in on US 50 before the Fairfax Shell owned by the Vance family then. AKA 427 Corvette-ville.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: January 11, 2014 09:40PM

16 Speed Road Ranger Airshift Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Chilla Villa was a roadmark on the way into
> Fairfax about where the new road goes thru from 50
> to 29 on the left. When you saw the Chilla Villa
> it was time to get off the throttle and gear down
> for the City line, in later years jake braking all
> the way. That was before Fair Oaks was built in 79
> opened in 1980. Slow her down brother pull off
> near Camp Washington walk to the Green Dolphin on
> 29 for a cold one to wash the road dust down. Wont
> be long for a good nights rest at the Highway
> Motel after some grub at Bobs Diner. Remember now
> the Rt 50 is US Route 50 Sacramento Ca. to Ocean
> City Md.

Note that it's "Kamp Washington"; see http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/485437/867778.html#msg-867778 and http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/groups/paul-nabtis-blog/p/bp--a-little-piece-of-kamp-washington. Weird, eh?

Posted by: Jack45 ()
Date: January 11, 2014 10:03PM

Oh do I remember that place. When I was in the Navy and stationed downtown the WAVE's (girls) lived in barracks at Arlington Station. There were no barracks for guys so we were paid to live wherever we wanted. I can't count the number of WAVES's that I took to the Chilla Villa. Most were fresh young things straight off the farm and away from home for the first time.

I get excited just thinking of the fine young tail that I got there.

Posted by: Welson Lee ()
Date: November 05, 2022 02:58AM

We provide superior products for all installations and offer a diverse selection of tile materials. Tree Planting

Posted by: [deleted] ()
Date: November 05, 2022 07:43AM

[deleted]

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.