HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Scam? Police Protective Fund
Posted by: SLD ()
Date: June 20, 2011 03:38PM

The Police Protective Fund called today asking for a donation. They asked for my credit card number, which I declined to give. I asked if they had a number I could call back. At first they said no, then called me back and gave me the number 727-863-8200. I expected to call back and donate via credit card. However, a quick Google search revealed that many regard them as a scam, partly because so little of their funds go to actual benefits, and partly because of aggressive tactics. See charitynavigator.com and info re court decision barring them from soliciting in Missouri. I also called the Fairfax County Police Association. The person answering the phone had not heard of the Police Protective Fund. I didn't call back to donate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scam? Police Protective Fund
Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: June 20, 2011 03:40PM

You have much more patience with people that call you to solicit than I do.

Posted by: Raptured ()
Date: June 20, 2011 04:08PM

Posted by: Just Say No to Scams ()
Date: June 20, 2011 04:12PM

I've gotten calls from them before also. They are a total scam.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: June 20, 2011 09:24PM

For every dollar you give one of these assholes, mere pennies actually go towards any cause they represent.

If you really want to help, you'd be better of just going out and getting yourself a speeding ticket.

Posted by: fcpd ()
Date: June 20, 2011 11:17PM

It's not a scam. I have donated to them before. I got a little thing in the mail a few weeks later with a bumper sticker as a Thank You.

Posted by: may2010 ()
Date: June 21, 2011 05:48AM

This istheir Mission Statement,,,

"Police Protective Fund (PPF) is a public awareness organization dedicated to enhancing public safety through education. PPF was established in 1998 by the leadership of the American Association of Police Officers, to enhance the public's understanding of law enforcer safety issues. Guided by police officers and distinguished citizens, the organization is dedicated to strengthening the safety net over which a law enforcement officer must perform their profession's perilous duties. Proceed With Caution is the centerpiece of PPF's public awareness efforts. The program addresses an issue of grave concern to public safety officials. To date, the program has reached millions of Americans with an urgent appeal to the nation's drivers that is vital to the safety of law enforcers: Proceed With Caution - Police at Work."

Sounds nice, but if you check www.charitynavigator.org you'll see they have a "1 star or less rating", meaning most of the money they collect goes to lining their pockets, not helping anyone,,

Yea, I'd call them a scam,,,

And "FCPD", donate money to me and I'll give you a $ 0.50 bumper sticker...

Posted by: Blackrock ()
Date: June 21, 2011 10:38AM

I had one of these motherfuckers call my grandmother's home..apparently they often use a list of elderly people that might be more vulnerable, and possibly easy pickings. I picked up the phone, and the guy said, "This is the POLICE! Don't be alarmed!"

Then he went into the PPF-type hard sell. He did't realize that I wasn't an elderly person, and he continued stating that he was a Fairfax cop. It was obvious (to someone under 93) that this was not a cop. I lit into this meth-addict boiler room piece of shit, and asked where he was located...I made a few threats at this point..and he hung up.

I had the number on caller ID, immediately called Fairfax County Police, and told them about this criminal impersonating a police officer, in order to obtain money from an elderly person, and they totally blew me off..."Not much we can do.."

Really? I asked what would happen if I walked up to a person on the street, said I was a cop, and asked for money...that would be illegal, right? I'd be arrested, right?

The cop on the phone didn't like my attitude (and I didn't like his). A detective, who I insisted on talking to, said pretty much the same thing. Too much paperwork, etc, etc.

They scam millions of dollars, and these dirtbags know they will never be prosecuted. There's the outright criminals like the ones I dealt with, but even the "legit" organizations give a miniscule percentage of what they get to a random charity.

Date: June 21, 2011 11:27AM

Blackrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [justified but ill-informed rant]

Caller ID can be spoofed - as such, "tracing" a call post-facto won't necessarily work AND it would be your word against whoever the call got traced back to.

When they called me (twice) they said something like "Hello, my name is Bob and I'm with the Virginia Police...(long pause)...Protective Fund." Since it was done twice by two separate callers on separate days, then it fairly obviously was a ploy at LEAST discussed between the callers if not outright taught to them by management.

As a teenybopper I put in an excruciating N summer months (N maybe 1) working for the "Washington Handicapped Workers Association" (I =think= that's the name we used - pardon if that's a legit business and my memory from 40 years ago is bad). We sold lightbulbs. We =said= they were guaranteed long-life lightbulbs but the manner one had to replace ones that weren't long-life (...) under the "guarantee" had to do with delivering them IN PERSON back to the HQ or something equally dumb. And, yes, we were told to be "truthful" but somehow we never got around to mentioning we ourselves were not handicapped.

Posted by: Aldenham Lane Reston ()
Date: October 17, 2011 08:57PM

Just got a call tonight. Caller ID said POL PROT FUND 727-863-5033 - they call once a month. I hang up before they can get one sentence out.

Posted by: SkittleBiddle ()
Date: April 04, 2012 03:14PM

Googled the company and found that only about $38,000 of the over $4 million they collect goes to their cause. SCAM.

Posted by: Gunbarrel ()
Date: April 05, 2012 12:23AM

Lighten up and have fun with these jerks. I @$*# with them every time they call. Waste their time, string them along, create multiple personalities - whatever floats your boat. Once I told one of these shrews I wanted to donate $6000 to their cause. Never could find my credit card, but I spent a good 45 minutes looking for it as I was watching a game eating nachos.

Posted by: Smokn' Joe ()
Date: April 25, 2012 06:18PM

I got a call from one of these same ass-clowns some months ago. They impersonate real cops and try to make you think they are with the FCPD.

My father is a retired Metropolitan Police officer. I told the "cop" that called me from the Police Protective Fund that my father spent his life working for a living and protecting the public, rather than bull****ing people on the phone (all this, before hanging up on his clown-like ass)

Posted by: Any of these ()
Date: April 25, 2012 07:14PM

are completely false. They do not support LE. They would not be calling you. They are tax paid for.

Posted by: bullet ()
Date: June 19, 2012 12:14PM

I get a call from these guys about once a week 727-863-5033. I stopped being nice and just dont pick up or on occasion - I will light them up.

They are a scam. Do not trust them. Do not donate to them.

Posted by: po po ()
Date: June 19, 2012 01:58PM

i am a police officer, and i wont even donate to f.o.p. or any other fund over the phone. the fact is, when you donate money to a legit fund, the cause is only getting about 25% of the money. thats right, so guess who gets the rest. the company making the calls. if you want to donate money to a police fund, call them directly and send the money to them, not to some telemarket person who will take most of that money themselves. i love when these people call my house from the f.o.p., because i ask them questions about where the money actually goes, and they can never give me the answer. thats when i educate them, and tell them why real cops dont donate money over the phone because they dont get the entire donation.

Posted by: Ito ()
Date: June 19, 2012 02:03PM

When I get pulled over by the cops I usually hand them a couple hundred dollars directly.

Posted by: Herndonite ()
Date: June 19, 2012 02:27PM

Proceed With Caution - Police at Work. I'd like to put them all over Herndon where they put speed traps.

Posted by: Mike Colgate ()
Date: September 28, 2012 08:36PM

If you fell you must donate to a law enforcement agency call your local PZD or sheriffs office. Make a donation to their training fund. That way they get the whole thing!

Posted by: Tough One ()
Date: September 28, 2012 09:13PM

These are all scams, that prey on people, and even if you get a sticker, its not going to help you if you fuck up and break the law.

Posted by: Mikeymike ()
Date: September 28, 2012 10:13PM

I had a college job working in a telemarketing phone boiler room. We pitched a different "police" organization. It is all a bullshit scam. Sure, a few pennies make it to the stated cause, but most of the money is pocketed by the sham corporation, its sleazy owners and dirtbag managers, and lastly the pimply kid who is pitching it to you. Never accept any phone solicitation.

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: November 09, 2012 05:18PM

I did recive a call from them and refused to give them info over the phone, he said he understood and just sent me a letter, bumper sticker and a return envelope. I'm all for supporting our police officers but after reading all this..I'm not sure if I should send the money order or not.

Posted by: megan ()
Date: November 09, 2012 07:46PM

I received a call from the Police Protective Fund asking for donation. He asked me to pledge for the donation with my credit card. I refused. I told him to send the pledge by mail. I like to help but now I wonder if this is a scam. The return mail address is Police Protective fund, POBox 670 Richmond,Va 23218. 877-3432477. Is this legit?

Posted by: its not ()
Date: November 10, 2012 02:53AM

DO NOT DONATE MONEY TO THE POLICE PROTECTIVE FUND!!!! Very little money if any goes to helping anybody.

If you want to donate money to a "police fund", pick one that does real help to people.

1-Donate to a fund set up for a local officer killed in the line of duty.

2-Donate to C.O.P.S.- Concerns of Police Survivors-This is a national org that helps support families of officers killed in the line of duty.

3-National Police Memorial Fund

4-Police Unity Tour

There maybe a few others but the first three are the best. The fourth donates to #3.

Posted by: total scam ()
Date: November 10, 2012 08:01AM

Gunbarrel Wrote:
> Lighten up and have fun with these jerks. I @$*#
> with them every time they call. Waste their time,
> string them along, create multiple personalities -
> whatever floats your boat. Once I told one of
> these shrews I wanted to donate $6000 to their
> cause. Never could find my credit card, but I
> spent a good 45 minutes looking for it as I was
> watching a game eating nachos.

+1

My only donation to LEO is in the form of taxes.

Posted by: Annoyed Marylander ()
Date: November 25, 2012 12:10AM

I try to never answer calls from solicitors, and I NEVER give them anything, so imagine my surprise when I received a letter billing me for the $25 that they claimed I had pledged. These people are nothing but low-life thieves. Maryland's ultra-left-winged government won't do anything about them because "telemarketers need to make a living too." (That's code for "we're buying thier votes with your money.") I hope there is an afterlife so that all such scum can stoke the furnaces.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: November 25, 2012 09:46AM

if you hate maryland, do what i did. get the hell out of there and come across the river. maryland sucks.

Posted by: SiriusB ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:39PM

This organization calls during certain periods of time every year. The first time they called me, before I stopped answering telemarketing calls, I told them I do not give out credit card info over the phone to anyone I do not choose to do business with, then asked them where I could send a donation should I choose to donate? .They gave a P.O. Box in Richmond as their address. I researched the address of the "Post Office Box" and their phone number(from caller ID) and discovered that the "P.O. Box" was in one of those places that rents out postal boxes so you can have mail re-directed to an address that can't be traced. I then checked the yellow pages for Richmond to find the phone number of the Mailbox rental business (it may have been an UPS store or a Mailboxes Unlimited, I don't remember) and I called them directly to get the name of the company at that address (so I could send them a donation). The business renting out the postal boxes would not even give me the company name at that PO Box address, so then I figured it was a scam. Then I called the Richmond area "FOP" to see if they were connected in any way with fundraising through a local telemarketing company with that Richmond address and phone number, and they said "no!" Case closed. Send away if you still trust enough, but it probably would be better to send it directly to a police agency for their assistance fund than to go through a boiler room scam operation working out of a remailing store front in the dregs of Richmond.

Posted by: BeWare ()
Date: December 03, 2012 02:10PM

Wow, so glad that I checked this organization out on line before sending them some money. I got the called and pledge $100 to them over the phone. I got the pledge confirmation (invoice is more like it). But then when I looked at the address, it's goint to, it's a P.O Box in Richmond. I know better then sending my hard earned money to a P.O. Box. Thanks all for the warning.

Posted by: Maryia ()
Date: January 08, 2013 03:19PM

I'd like to know if this is a phishing scam. Should I be worried if my brother just gave them his information?

Posted by: Selma ()
Date: January 21, 2013 02:25PM

I just got a call from them. I asked how can I verify they are really them. He said to go to the website at http://policeusa.com/. I asked if I could make a payment online instead of over the phone. He said they don't have that capability yet. I went online and sure enough THEY DO. I told him that and he was surprised. So I said that I'm going to go ahead and make a donation online. Then he asked me to hold and a couple of minutes later he said that I could do that but that I'm taking my chances. REALLY? First he gives me the website then says not to trust it. He said it's on me if its not real. I said yep, it sure is on me and I hung up the phone.

So for those of you who think this is real and get a sticker back. Don't you think that ANYBODY can print out a sticker and put it in the mail? For the price of postage and a sticker, they get back $50 to $100 from each person. Sounds pretty good deal to me. Also sounds like a scam too.

Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: January 21, 2013 05:39PM

Selma Wrote:
> I just got a call from them. I asked how can I
> verify they are really them. He said to go to the
> website at http://policeusa.com/. I asked if I
> could make a payment online instead of over the
> phone. He said they don't have that capability
> yet. I went online and sure enough THEY DO. I
> told him that and he was surprised. So I said
> that I'm going to go ahead and make a donation
> online. Then he asked me to hold and a couple of
> minutes later he said that I could do that but
> that I'm taking my chances. REALLY? First he
> gives me the website then says not to trust it.
> He said it's on me if its not real. I said yep,
> it sure is on me and I hung up the phone.
>
> So for those of you who think this is real and get
> a sticker back. Don't you think that ANYBODY can
> print out a sticker and put it in the mail? For
> the price of postage and a sticker, they get back
> $50 to $100 from each person. Sounds pretty good
> deal to me. Also sounds like a scam too.

It is not a "scam" per se, just a really REALLY inefficient "charity".

You give them a hundred bucks, they give 3 cents to some police organization and pocket the rest (numbers are for example only - I have no idea what the real very poor numbers are).

Posted by: Jay Mac ()
Date: January 28, 2013 08:44PM

The Police Protective Fund's motto is "Protecting Those Who Protect Us." The problem is that in 2005 the United States Supreme Court ruled that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect anyone! So, next time they call, tell them to F*ck Off!

Posted by: K Butler ()
Date: February 05, 2013 07:35AM

Hey this Fraud of an Organization called my house yesterday and here's the number that showed up on my caller I.D. 727-842-8763.

Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: February 05, 2013 07:43AM

K Butler Wrote:
> Hey this Fraud of an Organization called my house
> yesterday and here's the number that showed up on
> my caller I.D. 727-842-8763.

That may have been the number showing up on Caller ID but may not have been the number that actually was calling - Caller ID is regularly spoofed. I believe this is now illegal to do in such cases but it certainly is done all the time still.

Posted by: Abelard ()
Date: February 05, 2013 09:29AM

>Lighten up and have fun with these jerks. I @$*# with them every time they call. >Waste their time, string them along, create multiple personalities - whatever >floats your boat. Once I told one of these shrews I wanted to donate $6000 to their >cause. Never could find my credit card, but I spent a good 45 minutes looking for >it as I was watching a game eating nachos.

No reason this can't be fun.

My wife gave me a challenge - I had to convince the next telemarketer to both hang up and take me off their call-back list, but I was only allowed 3 words. Next guy who called, I interrupted him mid-spiel:

"... uh ... Purple?", with vaguely slavic accent.
"Excuse me?"
"PUR-PLE?" This still only counts as one word.
"Um, is there someone there who makes the decisions regarding home repair?"
Long pause.
"Rec-tang-le? S-square?"

-click-

Never heard back from them.

Re: Scam? Police Protective Fund (yes they are)
Posted by: Clark ()
Date: February 13, 2013 04:24PM

The Police Protective Fund call people for donations,and nothing GOES TO the Police department's they tell you they are representing.

They do this in many states and many people are scammed into making a money donation. It's a big money making venture for them.

Best advice is to record the conservation and take it to your local law enforcement agency to make a complaint. If for whatever reason they won't take your complaint, go to the area states attorney's office or district attorney's office and make your complaint there.

If these 3 options don't work you can call your local F.B.I. office and make your complaint to them.

This company makes millions off of innocent people each year. Don't let them sucker your neighbors and loved ones!!!

Posted by: eric bognetti ()
Date: February 23, 2013 10:36AM

i worked wit the police protected fund and yes 80 percent of the money goes to the ppf i worked there and was screwed out of 60 dollars so if they have the nerve to steal from there employess then they will screw you over all in all a total scam 80 percent of the money goes towards them not the officers

Posted by: eric bognetti ()
Date: February 23, 2013 10:39AM

i no longer work there

Just got a call with caller ID saying "Police Protect"
Posted by: Erica ()
Date: March 02, 2013 09:36AM

Don't answer the phone, and they won't leave a voicemail...

But, I suspect this is the same scam and they don't want to leave evidence in case there's an investigation.

Telemarketers and scammers can get your phone numbers and call you even if you are on the Do Not Call Registry because they can classify themselves as "nonprofits" or "research/survey"...

Re: Just got a call with caller ID saying "Police Protect"
Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: March 03, 2013 09:10AM

Erica Wrote:
>
> Telemarketers and scammers can get your phone
> numbers and call you even if you are on the Do Not
> Call Registry because they can classify themselves
> as "nonprofits" or "research/survey"...

Those operating within the law but outside of ethics still follow the law that forbids them from calling mobile phones. Even the politicians don't call mobile lines, and they usually write themselves as exceptions to the law.

Telemarketing and robocalling is getting old. I wish I could ignore calls with blank caller ID - but I sometimes get work-related calls with blocked caller ID. I wish they could figure out telephones... they've been around a while.

It is time to get rid of the landline and just use a mobile phone. I know that it isn't feasible for everyone. My mobile coverage at my home is poor, so I got a network extender that works over my broadband internet connection.

Posted by: D ()
Date: March 04, 2013 07:52PM

Hey these crooks are pretending to be "the" police....caller said Donald...this is the Virginia Police///an intimidating and a low down tactic...to get you to stay on the line and then the caller says this is a recorded call.....all BS/

What can we do to get rid of these type of scams? Why can't we have some real laws that burn these MFs ?

They prey on my mother in law and tell her that I would and have supported them in the past---crooked business and we should have protection----anyone have a legal answer?? I am not giving a nickle---thanks for your posts to warn others.

Thanks

Posted by: NoVA transplant ()
Date: March 04, 2013 08:24PM

Whenever ANY telemarketer calls and asks for me or my spouse, I tell them that s/he is dead and then make them feel like real azzholes for calling to solicit money from a deceased person.

Posted by: Jack406 ()
Date: March 04, 2013 09:22PM

I like my brother's approach when I get an unsolicited telemarketing call - like for instance the "Card Services" calls.
He is nice to them and takes up as much of their time as he can with delays and talking and questions. Then he finally informs them that he never buys anything from a telemarketer and he never donates anything to a telemarketer.

I've tried it when I had extra time. Between asking them to hold on a minute while I see who is at the door, and other delays and repeated questions from me about their organization, I've managed to use up to 20 minutes of their time without really interfering with what I'm doing. They shouldn't be calling because we are on the do-not-call list; but that is very poorly enforced.

Posted by: Bart-o ()
Date: March 07, 2013 01:34PM

These assholes called me every month or so and so I blocked their number, this worked for a while but then a new number pops up. same old shit gimmme gimmme gimmme, im a cop, I reached over and picked up my canned air horn blaster knowing that this asshole was wearing a headset.......lit his ass up right in the phone. I swear I heard him scream.............but no calls now. Canned air horns do the trick, will fuck up a good ear quick!

Posted by: paradox giraffe ()
Date: March 07, 2013 05:50PM

I decided to go work for the ppf to get an inside scoop of whats really going on. From what i could find out the new boss jason at the office i went to has clean the place up considerably. The calls are recorded to make sure none of the callers say they are officers anymore and that they only say what is legally allowed. They do all the calling in house instead of hiring third party fundraisers, which i was impressed about. Their callers are paid, but only minimum wages. When they call now, they do require a firm commitment from the donators so they dont waste money sending stuff out to people who are just going to throw it away. That was wise i thought. I checked into things further by calling around to a few friends in law enforcement and found they had actually helped many officer's families in virginia. All in all i am quite pleased with the way this chrity is ran now. Ill donate any time they call me.

Re: SPAM? Police Protective Fund
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 07, 2013 05:55PM

paradox giraffe Wrote:
> I decided to go work for the ppf to get an inside
> scoop of whats really going on. From what i could
> find out the new boss jason at the office i went
> to has clean the place up considerably. The calls
> are recorded to make sure none of the callers say
> they are officers anymore and that they only say
> what is legally allowed. They do all the calling
> in house instead of hiring third party
> fundraisers, which i was impressed about. Their
> callers are paid, but only minimum wages. When
> they call now, they do require a firm commitment
> from the donators so they dont waste money sending
> stuff out to people who are just going to throw it
> away. That was wise i thought. I checked into
> things further by calling around to a few friends
> in law enforcement and found they had actually
> helped many officer's families in virginia. All in
> all i am quite pleased with the way this chrity is
> ran now. Ill donate any time they call me.

cause yeah, it makes TOTAL sense that someone would volunteer to work a min. wage job just to get the "inside scoop"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Posted by: 7xx96 ()
Date: March 07, 2013 05:59PM

One would think the police would police a fraud -- but not here in ffx co apparently.

Re: SPAM? Police Protective Fund
Posted by: paradox giraffe ()
Date: March 07, 2013 06:33PM

Im a reporter genius. Its my job do do that kind of thing, so yeah it does make total sense.

Posted by: James ()
Date: March 07, 2013 06:38PM

I can assure you that it is a scam. I let the guy give his spiel the other day which involved "helping the families of deceased officers".

What crap. A police officer's family who dies in the line of duty receives x 2 the worth of his life insurance. The spouse also receives his salary for an unspecified time (depending on the department it lasts until the youngest child reaches 18).

In addition Heroes Inc. kicks in money to the survivors and also the cost of the college education for the children.

There is no need to donate to anyone. Police officers and firefighters are taken care of.

scam, egg, scam, scam, bacon and scam..........
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 07, 2013 07:12PM

@paradox - every person I've EVER known involved in ANY aspect of the news business has ALWAYS been PROUD about themselves, show their names and credentials all the time, ESPECIALLY when they are talking truth.

just sayin................it's kinda odd to me a reporter telling a story would ONLY post that AFTERWARDS, is all.

pic unrelated
Attachments:
bullshit.jpg

Police Protective Fund Scam
Posted by: Mike Ernest ()
Date: March 07, 2013 08:26PM

I experienced the same story. Asking for my credit card information over the phone was the first red flag.

Since my son is taking driver's education, I asked a question about seat belts and got a totally "off the wall" answer.

Guy started to complain about the government taking away our rights and that sometimes people do not need to wear seat belts. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Dont' waste your money on them! Give it to the red cross.

Re: Police Protective Fund Scam
Posted by: James ()
Date: March 07, 2013 10:30PM

Mike Ernest Wrote:
> I experienced the same story. Asking for my credit
> card information over the phone was the first red
> flag.
>
> Since my son is taking driver's education, I asked
> a question about seat belts and got a totally "off
> the wall" answer.
>
> Guy started to complain about the government
> taking away our rights and that sometimes people
> do not need to wear seat belts. Stupid! Stupid!
> Stupid!
>
> Dont' waste your money on them! Give it to the red
> cross.

They are NOT the police. They are people who are paid $8 an hour to make telemarketing calls. You might as well as your neighbor about seat belts.

Posted by: Molly Bolt ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:46AM

THEY CALLED 6 MONTHS AGO AND THEY JUST CALLED NOW. THEY ARE RUDE AND SHOUT THEIR SCRIPT ABOVE ME TELLING THEM NO AND TO PUT ME ON THE "DO NOT CALL LIST" I GUESS THAT LAW MEANS NOTHING TO THEM SINCE THEY CALL TODAY AGAIN. CAN'T ANYONE DO ANYTHING TO STOP THIS? I DOUBT THAT ANY POLICE FORCE WOULD APPRECIATE BEING REPRESENTED BY SUCH RUDE LUGHEADS. I'M VERY SICK WITH TERMINAL CANCER AND WOULD LIKE MY PEACE AND QUIET WITH MY UNLISTED PHONE NUMBER AND NO SOLICITING.

Date: April 11, 2013 12:19PM

Molly Bolt Wrote:
> ...CAN'T ANYONE DO ANYTHING TO STOP THIS?...

Congress, in its wisdom, said charities can call you even if you are on the Do Not Call list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Do_Not_Call_Registry#Exceptions_to_the_do-not-call_rule

So, since that particular "charity" does actually give something like one-gajillionith of the funds they collect to some police somewhere, those calls cannot be stopped.

Posted by: yes it is a scam ()
Date: April 11, 2013 12:42PM

The way to handle these dirtbags is to ask them who their point of contact in law enforcement is.

They can never provide this. I tell them off, then tell of the supervisor. They tend not to call back for several years after that.

Posted by: Peaceout ()
Date: April 11, 2013 04:28PM

Yo Molly,
All capitalization makes it difficult for anyone to read your post. Please refrain from using all caps. It's Internet etiquette.

Posted by: NEXT VICTIM PLEASE ! ()
Date: May 10, 2013 11:42PM

So I am desperate for income in poverty stricken Pasco County Florida. PPF appears legit, and a good work. In training we are told to sound like a cop. Never to claim to be one. Commonly we have to correct callers that we are not cops. Can't sell crap to the honest innocent so digging into the product online yeilds not only a good work but a necessary one. Working among the bastardly telemarketers whom all seem sold on their next meal, sex, and or joint didn't defer me. That is Pasco. What finally broke the damn was the total get us money or die attitude. The constant threat was to make $300 in what was always called sales not donations per 4 hour shift. When the highest made by all was $250 for four hours total sales, the lower level producers were threatened with their job. Far too talented to be threatened with my job I quit. This is also after threats against life several times by the co-slaves. They sift for talent knowing the desperation base of the poor in Pasco will always provide them with victims. Those whom stay deal drugs amongst themselves on breaks and have no conscience about lying or veiled deception as a tool to pry acceptance of what could be a great force for good. It ain't the concept, or the charity, it is the Satanically dedicated greedy abusers of both.

Posted by: Abre ()
Date: November 30, 2013 02:24PM

I will send you a bumper sticker for a donate!

Posted by: yes it is a scam ()
Date: November 30, 2013 07:42PM

Sudden death to these assholes-ask them who their point of contact at the police is.

Smart ones will blurt out "Detective Jones" or something generic. Ask for the phone number, and which station they work from. Call. Detective Jones has never heard of them.

Posted by: The Cynic ()
Date: January 07, 2014 09:33PM

The PPF morons called tonight after a mercifully long intervals of a year or two not hearing from them. Conversation went something like this:

PPF: "Hello Mr. xxxx? I'm xxx calling from the Police Protective Fund and we are dedicated to helping..."

Me: "Sorry you're calling from where? The Police Defective Fund?"

PPF, now slightly annoyed: "No, the Police PROTECTIVE Fund!"

Me: "The what? The Polish Protective Fund? Isn't Poland now a member of NATO?"

PPF, now very annoyed: "All right, that's not funny."

Me: CLICK!

According to the most recent figures (2011) about PPF that I found on Charity Navigator, only 8.3 percent of the funds they raise go to any actual programs. The Tampa Bay Times newspaper -- these PPF jerks appear to be based in four call centers in that area -- ranked it as the 20th worst charity in the entire U.S. The Times and the Center for Investigative Reporting did a great expose of PPF in September 2013 that's worth reading:

http://cironline.org/reports/fla-investigators-say-police-charity-hired-felons-raise-donations-5227

Posted by: nat4lee ()
Date: January 07, 2014 11:07PM

I do all my donations to the county police on a regular bi-annual basis in the form of tickets. It's not a good thing when you are on a first name basis with the cops "Oh, you again"

Posted by: fuck 'em ()
Date: January 08, 2014 12:45PM

These things are SCAMS. They will offer to send someone to get the donation so it won't be mail fraud.

I am abusive to them, generally frees me of their calls for a couple of years. I have complained to the police, nothing they can do, they say they set up boiler rooms and move around quickly.

Posted by: GiGi ()
Date: January 14, 2014 08:36PM

If any police dept. needs money a lot of the local departments will pay a visit face to face. PPF IS A SCAM......DO NOT DONATE SHIT

Posted by: Love the PPF ()
Date: January 14, 2014 08:56PM

Lots of haters on this thread. I guess you hippies don't want to support our local police?

Posted by: The Cynic ()
Date: January 23, 2014 10:07AM

On the contrary. I support our local police. I just don't support a bunch of scam artists like you working out of a boiler room in Pasco County.

Posted by: Jimbo Tripdiggle ()
Date: March 11, 2014 08:15PM

I worked for these guys in port richey. and reported to Jason (the dude who was arrested) There were 30 folks in the phone room (yes some claiming to be cops .. I know the one who said "don't be alarmed".. .. in real life the dude is a moron.

They hire anyone who sounds like the potential to be convincing over the phone. No criminal background checks.. none of that. I called Jason on a Monday in response to a craigs list ad.. and started the next day.

If there is one thing good about this place.. it's that.. the guys calling you do work 40 hrs per week. They are trying to earn an honest living as opposed to sneaking into your house and 3 am and robbing your computer.

The owners.. yes.. pocket every dime they can get.. But the reality of it is.. your donation is paying the salary of someone who doesn't stand a chance in hell of being hired anywhere else. most are felons.. and almost all do drugs..

but hey.. at least they chose to work!

Posted by: Just Hang up on The Scammers ()
Date: March 11, 2014 10:54PM

These people prey on stupid people who think if they hang up on them or dont give a donation they will somehow get a ticket from the police next time they drive. They dont deserve anyones time.

When they call me I tell them forcefully remove my number do not call me again.

If someone wants to send me some paper in the mail for a donation I consider it. But I dont tell them that, I dont tell them anything other then remove my number.

All telephone sales people can forget it. I hang up on all of them after telling them to remove my number from their list. No need to be nasty.. just forcefull and i dont care what there selling or what cause they represent.

Posted by: key question ()
Date: March 12, 2014 10:19AM

Ask them who their contact at the police is. They will either fumble around or make up a name. Get their number, say you will call back after you have verified that they are legit.

Then, report them to the police. They may not do anything, but they might.

Police Protective Fund Scammers **bump**
Posted by: Fairfux County Piggie ()
Date: April 08, 2014 06:18PM

The " Police Protective Fund" just called my cell phone from Tennessee 615-584-9811. They referred to me several times by last name but when asked where they got my phone number from, they stated that they were just going down the list calling all the numbers in Virginia numerically(Bull Shit). How did they know my last name.

If these pieces of excrement call you, especially on a phone number you listed on the do not call registry, make a complaint at www.donotcallregistry.gov.

The vast majority of the money you donate doesn't go to the families of Law Enforcement Officers killed in the line of duty nor does the sticker they send you mean jack squat when you get pulled over.

Thanks to in car video cameras, electronic tickets and frivolous profiling civil suits, officer's discretion has been all but eliminated.

Thanks for your time, signed a loyal servant

Posted by: Carol ()
Date: April 08, 2014 10:15PM

Where did you get the information that you provided regarding which funds are legit?

Posted by: police action tactic ()
Date: April 09, 2014 01:24PM

I think Fairfax may have a different view of things now.

The last time they called, yes, they gave me some bogus name on the police force.

What did I do?

I called Sharon Bulova's office. I told them Officer "made up name" should be commended for haven figured out a way to raise money for the police. I told them (would not let them start talking) that the obvious result of this would be a tax decrease, since the police were raking in so much money from fundraising.

The Bulova drone was outraged. "No, no no, this is all false" she said. "No, we are having budget issues, this is not the way we raise money" she went on to say.

So I said "if it is all fake, then I suppose I can expect something to be done about it?-after all, taxes ARE kind of high anyway"

She said she would bring it to the Chairman's attention IMMEDIATELY and raise it with the police IMMEDIATELY.

And I, for one, have not had a single call since then. Are these asshats still around?

Posted by: tMhcw ()
Date: April 09, 2014 02:03PM

if the money is for anything other than to pad pockets

they certainly didn't manage to tell anyone

-------------------------
it is a tradition, however the tradition was very different when started

Posted by: Gruntled ()
Date: April 09, 2014 02:12PM

Check with Charity Navigator. You will see that The Police Protective Fund spends most of the money in administrative and fund-raising, with very little going to any "programs". Their rating shows they have all the credibility of a campaigning politician.

Posted by: bob1234556 ()
Date: April 23, 2014 12:36AM

you're a fuckin asshole

Posted by: the final cut ()
Date: April 23, 2014 09:16AM

One time they called and said they would come and collect the donation in person.

Fine.

When the guy showed up, I asked to see confirmation he was with the police. He gave me some story. I called the police on him. He was taken into custody-some issue with the "id" he showed me.

They have not called back.

Posted by: EGB ()
Date: May 07, 2014 05:43PM

The scammers are still operating. Called my 93 year old aunt today. I asked to be put on a "do not call" list and hung up. Caller immediately called back--much more aggressive. Again I said do not call and hung up. Caller called back a third time--even nastier and more aggressive. I said I'd sic the real police on him if he called again. After that, no more calls. Legitimate organizations don't behave this way.

Posted by: shelly ()
Date: May 08, 2014 02:36PM

I just got a call from the police protective fund and when I declined to give them my info they yelled BOO and hung up on me....yep...pretty sure its a scam!!!

Posted by: Ana M. ()
Date: May 13, 2014 11:48AM

I usually interrupt telephone solicitors (businesses or charities) right away saying I do not accept these calls, then hang up. For some reason, I "fell for it" this morning, agreeing to a small donation. Felt unsure about it right after the call, and decided to do some checking. After reading these posts, I can say it WILL NOT happen again!!! I will go back to abruptly cutting them off (no caller ID, here) and hanging up. Don't know what possessed me to go along with it today - I have gotten nasty with those who were aggressive in the past. It makes me angry to read so many reports that there's (basically) nothing to be done towards stopping this group! Fool me once ...

Posted by: eli c. ()
Date: December 11, 2014 01:42AM

yeah I'm sure you do you lying f*** go suck your mother's pussy f***** ass mother f*****

Posted by: n3Xtp ()
Date: December 11, 2014 03:50PM

in THIS area?

are protecting bull-o-va gov right to threaten citizens to allow illegals to take them over. point weapons at citizens who "disagree" democrats are allowed to be facists without re-percussion

please. i need protection from them. not them me.

Posted by: VtPJn ()
Date: December 11, 2014 03:51PM

they don't need a protective fund

if they deputize me i'll take care of their "problem" with my posse

Posted by: No Need To Be Nasty ()
Date: December 11, 2014 09:54PM

No Need to talk to any of these scammers, Just say, "Dont Call Me Again" and Hang Up.

They will .. and you will. No big deal No Sweat to it. Life goes On.

Posted by: Ward Wensch ()
Date: October 07, 2016 01:17PM

It's a scam, believe me. Just because they sent you a sticker doesn't mean they are the real police. You won't get a ticket if you don't donate.

Posted by: mess with them ()
Date: October 07, 2016 01:27PM

I mess with these guys.

If they claim to be "Officer x" I get furious and ask "are you the same Officer X who killed my cousin?" and they kind of panic.

If they say they will send someone to come by and get the money, I give them the address of a massage parlor (look one up on Backpage/Craigslist). If they call back, tell them you have no clue.

If they ask for a credit card number, say something like "five, four, one, meon" and they will stop and ask what a "meon" is. Tell them your bank has finally converted to the new metric numbers and that "meon" is one of them. You can get them going by saying "well, a 'meon' looks kind of like a fish reading a book" nd they will be stopped in their tracks.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.