HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Modified Tags???
Posted by: native ()
Date: December 07, 2007 12:08AM

I got an older Nissan 240ZX that has been in my family for a while but it is not just yet eligible for the antique tags. I love the look of the antique tags , the black back with white lettering and I was thinking if its possible to strip those ugly Jamestown tags that they stuck me with , strip the paint and get it sprayed in black and then match in the letters white and just put the emission year and month stickers over it. Is something like that illegal, I mean you are still displaying the same letters and numbers of the tag so it will come back with correct registration and you still have the emission stickers on top so should that be a problem or is that somehow in violation of law????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Modified Tags???
Posted by: O ()
Date: December 07, 2007 01:19AM

I do believe that may fall under an improper display of tags code thats out there youd have to get one of the street lawyers on here to find the exact code and read it but I know it exists....

Posted by: O ()
Date: December 07, 2007 01:26AM

Look at that I can do what the cool kids on here do too!!! wow.... gay I must be bored but hope it helps...

§ 46.2-716. How license plates fastened to vehicle; altering appearance of license plates.

A. Every license plate shall be securely fastened to the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer to which it is assigned:

1. So as to prevent the plate from swinging,

2. In a position to be clearly visible, and

3. In a condition to be clearly legible.

B. No colored glass, colored plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or any other type of covering shall be placed, mounted, or installed on, around, or over any license plate if such glass, plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or other type of covering in any way alters or obscures (i) the alpha-numeric information, (ii) the color of the license plate, (iii) the name or abbreviated name of the state wherein the vehicle is registered, or (iv) any character or characters, decal, stamp, or other device indicating the month or year in which the vehicle's registration expires. No insignia, emblems, or trailer hitches or couplings shall be mounted in such a way as to hide or obscure any portion of the license plate or render any portion of the license plate illegible.

C. The Superintendent may make such regulations as he may deem advisable to enforce the proper mounting and securing of the license plate on the vehicle.

(Code 1950, § 46-102; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-107; 1960, c. 119; 1986, c. 186; 1989, c. 727; 2000, c. 258; 2001, c. 19; 2006, c. 549.)

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 07, 2007 08:27AM

i think this is the part that matters:

B. No colored glass, colored plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or any other type of covering shall be placed, mounted, or installed on, around, or over any license plate if such glass, plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or other type of covering in any way alters or obscures (i) the alpha-numeric information, (ii) the color of the license plate, (iii) the name or abbreviated name of the state wherein the vehicle is registered, or (iv) any character or characters, decal, stamp, or other device indicating the month or year in which the vehicle's registration expires. No insignia, emblems, or trailer hitches or couplings shall be mounted in such a way as to hide or obscure any portion of the license plate or render any portion of the license plate illegible.

paint is a type of covering. what you are suggesting is illegal.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 08:30AM by Gravis.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: December 07, 2007 04:45PM

Its not a type of covering if you strip the white off first.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: December 07, 2007 04:55PM

the tags would not have the holograms in them anymore, either.

I know some cars are gradfathered to use older, non-hologram tags (like the 1776-1976 red/white/blue tags

Hey, there you go, maybe the Jamestown tags will be a collectors item one day.

Seriously, buy a clean set of older tags and takem them to the DMV and register them on your car. Yes, THAT is legal. There is a tag dealer in the BK parking lot in Manassas (by the airport at 28/Penna ave.) during the car cruise-in season.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: December 07, 2007 08:13PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seriously, buy a clean set of older tags and takem
> them to the DMV and register them on your car.
> Yes, THAT is legal. There is a tag dealer in the
> BK parking lot in Manassas (by the airport at
> 28/Penna ave.) during the car cruise-in season.

The older tags you refer to are called "vintage" tags. Up until 1972, all cars were issued new plates every year. The year was embossed (stamped) onto the plates. The plates alternated between white letters painted on a black background and black letters on a white background. The new plates had to be displayed by April 15....it was REAL hard to get away with dead tags in those days!

To use a vintage plate, you must come up with a plate that is the SAME year as the vehicle. The current month/year stickered paltes began in 1973....therefore, no vehicle newer than 1972 will be able to use a "vintage" tag...they do not exist.

Incidentally, a lot of the vintage tags you see were never issued for a car...car tags had six numbers on them or an "A" followed by six numbers. I've seen vintage tags that start with a "Y"...they were for road tractors (ex. Kenworths). I've seen vintage tags that started with a "T" which were for straight trucks...and so on.

The tag dealers are probably too young to know this...and their customers certainly don't know either.

But there are still a few of us old farts around that get a chuckle out of seeing say, a nice 60's musclecar with tractor trailer plates on it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 08:13PM by duh.

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: December 10, 2007 04:27PM

The color of tag helps officers identify the State the tag is from. Altering the color is a ticketable offense.

As for vintage tags there are a ton of restrictions on those tags. Basically vintage tags are to be used driving to and from cars shows, that's it.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: December 10, 2007 07:44PM

my dad drives a Replica 1965 Shelby Cobra and even though its a 1965 model he still has to have the modern tags on it. Even though he pays 1965 Taxes on the car despite it being a replica. Go figure.

Date: December 10, 2007 07:52PM

Lurker.. Wrote:
> As for vintage tags there are a ton of
> restrictions on those tags. Basically vintage tags
> are to be used driving to and from cars shows,
> that's it.

The law is somewhat vague on antique and vintage tags...they are NOT for general use...like you said, to and from repairs and cars shows, parades, etc. They may also be used to "test the vehicle's operation"...that's the vague part.

And actually, you have an option with vintage tags. If you pay the full annual registration fee AND get the annual safety inspection...you can use vintage tags without restriction. (The restricted antique/vintage tags are permanent, one time $50 fee plates and you do NOT need a safety inspection)

Posted by: § ()
Date: December 11, 2007 01:44PM

I'd actually sell or donate that scrap heap and buy a real car worthy of antique tags. Reminds me of the hooptie, rust-bucket Buick I saw at the stoplight this morning with missing hubcaps, primer all over the place and antique tags. Unless your car is pristine and auto-show ready, you're better off displaying one of those Honeycomb cereal license plates from the '80s. -§

Date: December 11, 2007 08:21PM

§ Wrote:
> I'd actually sell or donate that scrap heap and
> buy a real car worthy of antique tags. Reminds me
> of the hooptie, rust-bucket Buick I saw at the
> stoplight this morning with missing hubcaps,
> primer all over the place and antique tags.
> Unless your car is pristine and auto-show ready,
> you're better off displaying one of those
> Honeycomb cereal license plates from the '80s. -§

Yeah, a lot antique plate users get them to avoid the safety inspection....plus they used to be really cheap, like 12 bucks for as long as you own the car. The chances of getting caught around here for violating the restrictions on use is almost nil. It's the PERFECT set-up for a junker that won't pass inspection!

I'll admit to a couple of antique tagged junker pick-up trucks in my driveway!

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 11, 2007 10:56PM

duh Wrote:
>The chances of getting caught around here for violating the restrictions on use is almost nil. I'll admit to a couple of antique tagged junker pick-up trucks in my driveway!

LOL Duh. Next time you gripe about the illegals, we're using these comments against you.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.