HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ahh the memories...
Posted by: Nostalgic Joe ()
Date: December 06, 2007 05:27PM

I grew up in North Springfield for part of my elementary schooling then moved off Franconia Rd. through highschool.

In springfield, I recall when Mikes Grill got put in. There use to be a Roy Rogers over there across from the 7-11 on backlick. I remember Lu Lu's/Blackies. I recall the Luskins down the street and the CLC (Computer Learning Center) that came after it. Almost busted buying beer in highschool at the 7-11 across from there (no idea if it's still there). Springfield Mall was a dump then (remember some guy won prizes for suggesting the name "Springfest" for the food court???) and a dump now. I will admit I was a mall rat and spent most of my summers there at TimeOut/Speedway playing pinball and arcade games -- Taco Laredo still there??

In the franconia house, I recall all the Kingstown crap use to be woods by Ediscum. I wrecked my jeep 4 wheeling back there one night and luckily a band of rednecks were around to pull me out (god bless those guys). Beulah road was a lot of small homes with land for horses there -- those guys must have made out like bandits selling to the developers. Rose Hill was always a wreck, still looks to be even though more stores have been added. Rt1 is/has/and always will be a shit-hole. And to think all the million dollar places just right off there by the potomac.

Am living over by Burke these days. Never hung around here as a kid but there's not a lot here now so wonder if that's changed much at all in the last 20yrs.

What do you guys recall from your old 'hood?

NJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ahh the memories...
Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: December 06, 2007 05:31PM

Do you remember the purple carpeting inside the round seating "pits" at Springfield Mall - before the 1986 renovation?

Also, Joi wig used to be right in the middle of that mall.

Burke has changed A LOT over the years, so has Fairfax Station.

Clifton is about the same, Lorton is trying hard to shake the stigma.

Posted by: Nostalgic Joe ()
Date: December 06, 2007 05:41PM

How many realtors got their pictures taken at the mall do you think for their business card. Why do realtors have photos from the 80's on their business cards around here? Was it Curls the hair place that the girls worked at back in highschool? Remember Hermans Sports? LMAO

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: December 06, 2007 05:47PM

I remember Hermans Sports and their in-store excalator...

Also, Korvettes, or whatever that store where the DMV entrance is now...

First girl that had a thjng for me, got a call back from me at a payphone there - remember payphones, LOL

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: December 06, 2007 06:53PM

I remember riding dirt bikes at the "pits" by Springfield mall. Witnessed many bone crushing, over-the-handlebars, face planting, digging small rocks out of bloody skin and other bizarre crashes there. It was great!

Posted by: § ()
Date: December 06, 2007 07:08PM

Hong Kong, Orange Bowl, Orange Julius, Time Out, Coda, Spencers, Wavedancer...LOL. Not sure if any of these are still there......I haven't been in over 20 years. -§

Posted by: hold em ()
Date: December 06, 2007 07:21PM

I remember a lot more strip clubs. I think only 1320 on Backlick is left.Route One used to have quite a few.
If they really want to improve this county bring them back. Its good for the economy.
I always did wonder when the dancers go the bank and deposit five hundred in ones what does the teller think. They probably say damn this money smells funky!

Posted by: SE ()
Date: December 06, 2007 07:40PM

Numbers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember riding dirt bikes at the "pits" by
> Springfield mall.

I lived in Springfield in 1985-1987 and went to Forestdale Elementary...I vauguely remember this for some reason. Were the pits right where the home depot/best buy is now (next to Forestdale)? Wasnt there and old run down putt putt by there too?

I definitely remember the arcade and the orange julius at the mall. My family got out of there fast and moved to Chantilly in 87' LOL. We lived in terra grande for that short time and I have a ton of memories from there.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: December 06, 2007 07:55PM

Eh

I have not been to Springfield mall in years,

It reminds of Potomac Mills for some reason...

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: December 06, 2007 10:19PM

Burke has always been a sleepy place, but I remember skidding along the gravel roads amongst the farms with my older brother driving. I remember the old 7-11 which was in an old house, it had wood plank floors and sat where the current post office is now. Then the post office was in a tiny little building that was ancient and sat where the firehouse is, the firehouse is larger now. There was an old house next to the 7-11 that years ago was a whorehouse, it got moved across the tracks (when burke lake road and burke roads both crossed at grade).

For all the memories though, I like it all better now. There are actually more than two or three restaurants to eat at now and there is some limited entertainment nearby.

Posted by: just passing thru ()
Date: December 07, 2007 01:04AM

The firehouse is bigger since it was rebuilt after burning down in a fire. How ironic and I think the fire department likes to forget that ever happened.

Posted by: Geezer ()
Date: December 07, 2007 09:07AM

I remember a beaner free fairfax county. I made side money in the summer mowing lawns. I was 12.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: December 07, 2007 09:19AM

LOL

Yeah, I made a few hundred bucks myself, moving lawns for real estate agents.

Posted by: § ()
Date: December 07, 2007 11:57AM

Moving lawns seems like one heck of an undertaking. Why not just re-sod? -§

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: December 07, 2007 06:14PM

Ha, moving lawns. I don't know if it was "the pits" but I remember watching people ride dirt bikes at that landfill on loisdale. I also remember mudding in the woods where the retirement home off of the parkway is now and also where the Lorton Station neighborhood is. Good times. BB gun fights at Big Rock were fun to see unless you got caught in the crossfire.

Posted by: vasinger ()
Date: December 07, 2007 08:30PM

I used to make quite a bit of money in the summer being a poolboy. My customers loved to see my hot body working to clean that grime and chlorine off the walls.
They would comment on my milky white complexion and my man boobs. Every so often, for my better customers, I would sing a few torch songs to get them going. But then their wives came home and ruined everything. I did work for tips.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.