HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
placement tests at NOVA
Posted by: backtoschool ()
Date: June 08, 2011 02:06PM

I've been out of school for a long time and have decided to go back and get my degree. I have to take the placement tests at NOVA and am a little nervous about the math (I stunk at math in HS) Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone knew how difficult it is? I'm going to review the study guides, but the idea of algebra and geometry is freaking me out. Any comments would be appreciated!! I'm not an idiot and hope that the "haters" will refrain from name calling

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: placement tests at NOVA
Posted by: Newton ()
Date: June 08, 2011 02:56PM

Congratulations on your decision to go back to school -- it is never too late to pursue a degree. I totally understand your concern with the math placement exam - the exam itself is done on a computer in the testing center. If math is not your forte (it isn't mine) than the exam can be kinda tricky. Definitely review the study guides and practice tests available on the testing website. Try to review as much as you can. Most students who are weak at math, usually place in MTH 3 or MTH 4, which are both introductory classes and do not count towards GPA. If you score poorly, you can take other classes that you can use towards your degree and re-take the placement exam. For the math test, you can re-take it every three months (maximum of three times in one year). Good luck and again, congratulations!

Posted by: Thornton Melon ()
Date: June 08, 2011 02:59PM

rodneybacktoschool.jpg

Posted by: backtoschool ()
Date: June 08, 2011 03:00PM

Thanks for the response. I have to take Math 151 so I'm hoping to place into that class (I'm pursing my nursing degree) I'm hoping to miraculously pass with flying colors....well, maybe not flying colors but enough to get me there.

Posted by: Newton ()
Date: June 08, 2011 03:10PM

Good luck. Don't stress too much and know that you can take the math placement test every three months if you don't get the results you want. If you do place in MTH 151, Professor Nong is one of the best math professors on the Annandale campus. Make sure you check reviews on all professors at RateMyProfessors.com before you choose anyone. There are some less than stellar instructors wherever you go.

Posted by: Rick ()
Date: June 08, 2011 07:01PM

The math test from what I recall was not terribly difficult. The more questions you get correct the longer the test goes. 151 Honors is not worth the trouble, just do 151. The english test is incredibly easy.

Posted by: Rob ()
Date: June 09, 2011 01:51AM

the math basically starts with basic arithmetic then going to algebra 1,2, precalculus then calculus.

if you miss say a question in algebra 2, itll go back to algebra 1. it keeps doing this until you keep missing consistently and then it'll tell you what math level you belong to.

at nova, algebra 2 (HS algebra) and below is now labeled math 1. It's a developmental math. Dont feel bad, i originally came back to nova after years and placed in algebra1 and im now going into calculus this fall.

The developmental math doesnt have a grade base, so its pass or fail. you need to get an overal 70% in the lower developmental math (artihmetic,alg1,alg2) to move on.

Posted by: Rob ()
Date: June 09, 2011 01:56AM

i should've read the entire thread before my prior post...

math 151 is pretty easy. In fact, i think its easier than my precalculus class that i took-then again i got an A in it-.

I used to be horrible in math in hs, but now i love it and find it easy. Just focus,set time to do homework and i STRONGLY RECOMMEND going to the math center if you're a weak math student to get help with understanding a topic and doing homework. I spent my life there that it got to the point where i went in just to do homework.

Posted by: Brad277 ()
Date: June 11, 2011 04:03PM

I'm in the same position as the original poster on this... Does anyone know what level study guides and practice tests are equivilant to Math 151 at NOVA? Should I be studying Algebra or College Algebra material? Thanks in advance..

Posted by: JMc ()
Date: June 11, 2011 08:42PM

It's not that difficult. I was out of school for five years and after taking the placement test I got into mth271 (calc). I did not study at all.

Posted by: rob ()
Date: June 11, 2011 09:34PM

math 151 is easy as hell. If you know HS algebra, you're set.

ps: unless the school you need requires 151, id suggest going math 163 (precalculus_ and then 271 (calculus) or if you need trig, take 163 then 164 instead of 166 (166 combines precalc with trig and its harder). 163 and 164 will then lead you to 170+ math, which is the math engineers,etc need to take.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: June 11, 2011 11:25PM

I took the english placement a couple of years ago without studying. It was easy.

I didn't know I had to take the test and just took a shot at it while I was there.

Luckily, I didn't have to take math because I was transferring credits.

Date: June 12, 2011 08:05PM

I'm transferring to GMU from out-of-state and they instructed me to take Math 151 at a community college prior to being accepted... for some reason, my advisor never put me in a math class. Is 151 College Algebra? I've had a hard time determining what the course actually is...

Posted by: Descartes ()
Date: June 12, 2011 09:14PM

Apparently it's 'Math for the Liberal Arts' aka 'it's probably easy as shit so don't stress yourself'. If you know your algebra and up for a challenge, take the Applied Calculus class. I took it as an 8 week class and actually enjoyed it.

Date: June 13, 2011 07:02PM

Very good, thanks for the reassurance! (Does this website have a membership or do you just insert your desired user name each time?) Thanks in advance!

placement tests at NOVA
Posted by: K ()
Date: August 26, 2011 06:57PM

Does anyone know what the minimum grades required on the placement test are for math 151?

Posted by: CERTently555445 ()
Date: August 26, 2011 06:59PM

Gets good toutor and you be good and get in class.

Date: August 27, 2011 01:59AM

There isnt a minimum per se to get there. it basically starts off with arithmetic,then algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, precalcus, calculus.

as long as you pass algebra 2 , you'll be told you can get into math 151 or 163/164/166.

math 151 is pretty much easier than precalculus. There are some stuff that are tricky, but overall so much easier than 163.

you might struggle in 151 if you are weak in basic math.

Posted by: Anum ()
Date: May 03, 2012 05:10PM

Does anyone know how hard the placement test is to place into Math 271? (calc)

Posted by: Cesar Fuentes ()
Date: June 18, 2012 07:12PM

Hey guys my name is cesar and i just graduated from high school last thursday, june 14th. I am now planning on taking my placement tests for NOVA within the next week and in need of some advice about these tests. Are these tests hard or easy? i only took 3 math classes in high school, alg 1,2 and geometry. Should i be worried about the math placement test? i feel like im in trouble here. Anyways, please reply soon and thanks!

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: June 18, 2012 07:42PM

go on www.nvcc.edu and use the search function to find example plasement tests. Take them over and over to get a feel for them. You will take the Math and English placement tests at NVCC and the English one is just reading a short page or two then answering multiple choice questions on the content or changing the words around. The math test is also multiple choice and computerized. It will keep going and get harder until you start getting questions consistently wrong at which point it will stop and you will get the results of what math you qualify for. May I ask what your intended major is? That will determine how high of a score you need for placement.

Posted by: NVCC Fan ()
Date: June 18, 2012 08:49PM

Cesar Fuentes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey guys my name is cesar and i just graduated
> from high school last thursday, june 14th. I am
> now planning on taking my placement tests for NOVA
> within the next week and in need of some advice
> about these tests. Are these tests hard or easy? i
> only took 3 math classes in high school, alg 1,2
> and geometry. Should i be worried about the math
> placement test? i feel like im in trouble here.
> Anyways, please reply soon and thanks!

If you are a native English speaker and have some smarts, the English tests appear to be really easy (my son scored something like 99%). At first glance, it looked like he blew most of the math tests (60-70%), but he actually scored high enough to place into most of the math classes at NOVA, which surprised me. In any case, NOVA offers remedial math classes, if you need it to progress to college-level math. If you need help, get it - or you'll be in over your head. Good luck.

Posted by: Meg0313 ()
Date: July 13, 2012 08:27PM

I want to major in Nursing but my math isn't all that good. In HS I took pre- algebra, algebra 1 and geometry. I am definitely going to study the practice tests but does anyone know if I do not so good can this keep me from getting into the program or will I just have to work my way up with my math. I have been out of high-school a few years and now wanting to go back to persue my career in nursing! Any feed back would be much appreciated!

Posted by: meh ()
Date: July 13, 2012 08:56PM

http://www.nvcc.edu/academics/programs/cat2011/generalinfo.aspx

google is faster

luckily for u, u only need math 151 which is math for the liberal arts, aka clown college math

GL hope u arent completely retarded, i'm already terrified of nurses at hospitals because i've seen them work from their side, they are not bright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2012 08:59PM by meh.

Date: July 13, 2012 09:01PM

The english test is easy. I figure they just want to be sure that you are good enough at it to actually participate in a class.

Posted by: fateha chowdhury ()
Date: November 08, 2012 03:50PM

hi,i appeared at the english placement test and i got 313 on accuplaser test.then the gave me a topic to write an essay.i wrote it and gave it to them.they told me to go tomorrow and they will tell me about my result.my question is do you think 313 is a good marks for the test and can you tel me in which level i might got placed?and when they wil take the math test?or they wil determine my level after the math test?i am tensed please let me know

Posted by: Thomas Delaney ()
Date: November 11, 2012 06:10PM

Does anybody know what I need to get on the math placement exam at NVCC to qualify for Math 173 Calc 1?

I have not taken Calculus but I know my Pre-calc and trig pretty well. I want to place IN Math 173, not out.

Date: November 11, 2012 06:19PM

Furthermore, what type of calculus questions are asked on the test?

Date: November 11, 2012 06:51PM

you'll need to know calculus to get into 173, as it has calculus with trig. it's harder than if you split it up over to courses. i believe 163 and 164, could be wrong. i think 173 is a combination of those two.

either way you need to know enough calculus/trig for 173 right away.

Date: November 11, 2012 07:38PM

Would topics should I know for the placement test that are covered in Calculus?

Date: November 11, 2012 08:51PM

no idea, i never took 173. i was placed in remedial maths and worked my way back up to calculus aka 271.

the tests start off easy, with basic pre algebra to pre-calc,calculus. if you miss one, it starts over and if you miss consistantly then itll tell you what math you need to take.

i dont think i know anyone who got into 173 without taking pre-calculus 163 though.

Posted by: suzy ()
Date: December 12, 2012 01:23AM

Hello,
I am also trying to go back to nova to get my degree.
Which I found I have to take Calc and Stats. and I am in the same position as you. i hate math..
I was going to take the placement test before Spring semester but not happening.
What I did was,
If you go to the nova website, there is a free study guide.
In the study guide, it tells you whats going to be on the test.
So I googled everything. with examples and explanations.
Tomorow , Im going to the book store and getting practice books.
I believe this is about 7th gd math .. When I googled it, thats what it said.
But hey, after not being in school 5+ years, what can you do.. =P
Hope this helps.. take the test when your ready..
If you are not ready, take your other core classes first~

Date: December 12, 2012 05:59PM

Rather than trying to qualify into above-entry-level math, take some CLEP exams to meet the prerequisite for it. You get college credit for it and there is a wealth of study material online for it - much more than the placement exam at NOVA. This will probably prepare you for the class better than NOVA placement tests.

Also, don't take the exam at NOVA. They charge $75 and are only available weekdays from 9a-2p. University of Phoenix only charges $25 and are available 11a to early evenings. The test itself is $80.

I earned 23 credit hours this way - English 111/112, American History 121/122, Biology 101/102 and Psych 201. They have math College Mathematics 151/152, College Algebra 163, Precalculus 166, and Calculus 173.

Here's what they give for credit hours for CLEP tests
http://www.nvcc.edu/wdce/alexandria/specialized/CLEP%20NVCC%20Equivalents%20_Updated%20%20May%202011_.pdf

If you want to take a statistics test, look at DSST for Math 241.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2012 06:07PM by wnrsm.

Posted by: Test Instructor ()
Date: December 13, 2012 12:07AM

Remember if you want to take a math placement test at NOVA, there is a good re-test policy. If you take your first math placement test, as long as you do not sign up for a math class, you have 1 free shot at it again. This is an opportunity to find what you may need to study for. Remember to do this really soon, as classes are beginning to fill up. For those asking about MTH 173, that is a very difficult class to get into. You definitely need to study hard for it. I'd guess only a handful of students per week, out of hundreds, place into it. Or you could do precalc before it.

As far as CLEP goes, it is an option. I'd double check on the U of Phoenix thing, make sure it transfers to NOVA and elsewhere later on. If someone is very bright and can study quickly and is looking for an efficient way through a class or classes, CLEP testing is an option.

Posted by: evening ()
Date: January 09, 2013 10:55PM

Wow! This is just the discussion I was looking for! I need to take the math placement test really soon bc Im applying to the Dental Hygiene program. I have to place into MATH151 Im told. Im sooo nervous! How difficult is the math at this level of the test that I need to "pass?" Could anyone please give me some examples of equations or questions that would be at this level? I am studying a lot..but Ive been out of school for a while. Would you say its very difficult to place into math151? Also, the test starts out easy and then gets harder, right?? thank you!!!!!

Posted by: Tokyo ()
Date: January 10, 2013 07:11AM

I took mine back in 2003. I scored well in English but completely bombed the Math portion. As a result, I was required to take Math 003 and 004 which totally sucked ass! Mainly the reason why it took me more than 2 years to get out of that shithole. Best of luck to you and your decision. The greatest part about NVCC is leaving NVCC for a four year institution.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: January 13, 2013 12:31AM

evening Wrote:
> Wow! This is just the discussion I was looking
> for! I need to take the math placement test
> really soon bc Im applying to the Dental Hygiene
> program. I have to place into MATH151 Im told.
> Im sooo nervous! How difficult is the math at
> this level of the test that I need to "pass?"
> Could anyone please give me some examples of
> equations or questions that would be at this
> level? I am studying a lot..but Ive been out of
> school for a while. Would you say its very
> difficult to place into math151? Also, the test
> starts out easy and then gets harder, right??
> thank you!!!!!

I took the tests my sophomore year of high school, before I learned some of the material. The math is pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, and advanced algebra. Advanced algebra is what FCPS calls Algebra 2.

I took the placement tests so I could get college credit that summer.

Posted by: YesiDoLift ()
Date: February 12, 2013 07:23AM

So if I go for IT Technician, does Algebra 2 still require? From my view, fixing computer (hardware) doesn't require higher than Algebra itself.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: February 12, 2013 11:58PM

YesiDoLift Wrote:
> So if I go for IT Technician, does Algebra 2 still
> require? From my view, fixing computer (hardware)
> doesn't require higher than Algebra itself.

IT associates requires pre-calc and calc so yeah you have test through algebra 2 or you'll have to take it as a remedial before going into pre-calc.

Posted by: souma ()
Date: March 03, 2013 10:06PM

I am very desparate to take the placement test at NOVA. but having problem on focusing and concentrating. what can i do to proceed with my studies and go back to shool? please help me better my life.

Posted by: novadamer703 ()
Date: March 16, 2013 10:33AM

At this link there are some practice tests. http://www.nvcc.edu/future-students/placement-tests/

It is good to prepare for it, but if you do not place into the class that you need, you can take the test over again or you can take developmental courses. As far as not being ready to go to college or being nervous about it, it's good to "take a dive". If you need to, visit the college. CA building at Annandale and you can visit room CA 114 to apply, CA 115 to see the testing center and ask for tips, and CA 112 to talk with counselors.

Posted by: Blehhhhh ()
Date: April 03, 2013 10:32PM

So if I wanted to take ITP 100 and its prereq is MTH 151, and my placement test says I can take a higher math class, would I still have to take mth 151?

Posted by: novadamer703 ()
Date: April 03, 2013 10:46PM

I just did a quick search in the online catalog. It is funny... some entries for ITP 100 indicate you need 151 or higher, some just say 151. 151 ofcourse is the safe bet, but you could always try to sign up for itp100 and see if novaconnect will prompt you to sign up for mth151 or a higher math class.

Posted by: dobiegirl ()
Date: April 03, 2013 11:10PM

If you decided to go back to school, great! Don't worry about trying to beat the system. The purpose of school is to get an education so you have the skills to compete. Take the assessment tests and find out where you stand. Then take the courses you need to build your skill levels. Set a goal and do the required courses to obtain that goal. Don't get in over your head. Take all the preresquites first, then take the advanced courses. Enjoy your time in school. Work hard and do your own work. In the end, you will have increased your education level and make yourself more competitive with your peers.

Date: April 03, 2013 11:35PM

NOVA doesn't enforce prerequisites. I asked my faculty advisor about one class where my meeting the prereqs was iffy and she said to just take the class. Nobody will stop you.

So, do you feel lucky, punk?

Posted by: They do stop you ()
Date: April 04, 2013 12:03AM

wnrsm Wrote:
> NOVA doesn't enforce prerequisites. I asked my
> faculty advisor about one class where my meeting
> the prereqs was iffy and she said to just take the
> class. Nobody will stop you.
>
> So, do you feel lucky, punk?

This is misinformation; you cannot register for a class unless the prerequisites are met or you get some department head to force add the class.

Date: April 06, 2013 02:36PM

That's interesting. I followed my faculty advisor's advice and did just that.

I was taking some computer science courses that had a math prerequisite. My transcripts from my last college had not yet arrived. She said to take it anyway and it let me.

I'm just sharing my personal experience. YMMV.

Posted by: buttman ()
Date: April 06, 2013 08:18PM

YesiDoLift Wrote:
> So if I go for IT Technician, does Algebra 2 still
> require? From my view, fixing computer (hardware)
> doesn't require higher than Algebra itself.

i've worked in IT for 25 years and have yet do any any algebra. maybe next year. i'm sure it's required though. god knows why.

Date: April 07, 2013 07:46PM

I have worked in IT for over 23 years and have used algebra many times. I think that IT has enough of a range where both of us are correct. My scripting and programming use it often.

I even used calculus on the job, but it was only once. It was only pure luck and circumstance - and I could have gotten by without it. It sure did impress my coworkers. I looked like I knew what I was doing for once.

Date: April 08, 2013 03:04AM

math 151 and 152 at nova is a joke. i never took it and i know bunch of people in nursing need it, but damn stuff is easy. I help people out with it on a daily basis, which i tend to read the question and work it out.

as for enforcing prereqs, ive noticed it varies from campus. people who were in IT and never took intro to programming aka itp 100 got booted from ITP 120, or java.

the system boots them,however at another campus this rule doesnt apply to the c++ course (which i find funny and its a harder class than java).

Date: April 08, 2013 03:10AM

for IT majors, dont take math 151. take 163. 151 is sort of a special math course and has different rules for it. if you take 151 and change majors, you might need to retake the math placement again. happened to someone i know.

ive taken what was used to be math 3 then math 4( alg1 and algebra 2) then 163 and now 164. If you think im done with math, i still need to eventually take statistics and then discrete math (or linear algebra depending on the school i transfer to).

id take stats, but my limit of credits to transfer is maxed out.

Posted by: Will ()
Date: August 20, 2013 09:21AM

How many sections do i need to pass in the placement to qualify for math 151? anyone know?

thanks!!

Posted by: Clarified ()
Date: August 20, 2013 09:26AM

Will Wrote:
> How many sections do i need to pass in the
> placement to qualify for math 151? anyone know?
>
> thanks!!

MTH 151
Mathematics for the Liberal Arts I
http://www.nvcc.edu/depts/academic/coursecont/summaries/MTH151.pdf

Prerequisites: Competency in Math Essentials Units MTE 1-5 as demonstrated through the placement and diagnostic tests, or by completion through unit 5 in an MTT course. A student who provides official evidence of a minimum mathematics score of 520 on the SAT or a minimum score of 22 on the ACT taken within the last two years may register for these courses without taking the math placement test. MTH 151 and MTH 152 do not have to be taken in sequence.

Posted by: techie2 ()
Date: August 20, 2013 02:05PM

buttman Wrote:
> YesiDoLift Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So if I go for IT Technician, does Algebra 2
> still
> > require? From my view, fixing computer
> (hardware)
> > doesn't require higher than Algebra itself.
>
>
> i've worked in IT for 25 years and have yet do any
> any algebra. maybe next year. i'm sure it's
> required though. god knows why.

You'd have to work in something technical like remote sensing

Posted by: rik36 ()
Date: January 03, 2014 09:36PM

I have given the maths placement test and i got placed in mth 271. If i take IT major, then i need mth 163 in Ist sem and in the 2nd sem mth 271. So should i have to take mth 163? As i got placed in mth 271.

Re: english placement tests at NOVA
Posted by: Raj ()
Date: January 05, 2014 05:39PM

How is the esl placement test in NOVA. How to prepare

Posted by: novadamer ()
Date: January 05, 2014 09:56PM

http://www.nvcc.edu/future-students/placement-tests/

For the ESL placement test, there are 60 multiple choice questions - you can use the link above to see the practice test. If you get a high enough score on the multiple choice questions section, you would write a 1 page essay. The topic would be easy to write about. They are looking for good punctuation, word usage, a good intro paragraph, body, conclusion. You can practice writing essays if you believe you will get to write it.

Date: January 05, 2014 09:59PM

To rik36 --
yes, you would need to take the class even if you placed into a higher math.

Date: January 07, 2014 12:03AM

Thanks. But how tough is the esl english paper?

Date: January 07, 2014 12:05AM

Is the test same as sample paper or more tough?

Posted by: NOVA Testing Staff ()
Date: April 01, 2014 01:33PM

Hey Raj,
It's not "tough" or "easy," it's designed to test your writing skills to see which ESL classes you should START with at NOVA. You can't fail the placement test; it just tells you which classes to take your first semester.
You only write the essay if you score over 300 on the computerized portion of the test. If you score lower, the computer will place you into classes.
The essays are scored by trained ESL faculty members at the campus, so they know which classes are going to be the best ones to really help you improve your English skills.
Just so you know, it is possible to place out of ESL classes and into ENG111 (College Comp I) with the ESL placement test if your score is high enough and you write a strong enough essay.
My best advice is to READ a lot of good writing before you go to take the test--newspapers, magazines, books. These will get you familiar with what good writing looks like and will make the "right" way just feel more natural to you. The essay is timed for 1 hour, so you could also practice writing some essays on random topics and timing yourself just to see what it feels like. The computer portion is totally UNTIMED, so for that part, just relax and do your best.

Posted by: d677X ()
Date: April 01, 2014 01:55PM

next prepare to bend over

mexico is running gov jobs in the town, democrats get placed in all the programs for quick job placement. and most work is gov or for gov workers. town was republican and like a termite took over whole state of VA. using your tax money.

btw illegals don't pay for school in CA or VA. but they'll make sure you suffer to pay your loan and even get you fired so you can't pay and fail. old banking trick.

but what difference does it make ?

Posted by: smcdap ()
Date: June 11, 2014 08:39PM

Very interesting post!

Like one poster on here, I am weak in Math and will be going back to school for nursing.

I will be sure to study, but what happens if I don't pass math; am I not accepted, or will they put me into an alternative math class and I will have to work my way up from there?

Date: June 13, 2014 12:36AM

With effort, patience, and strategy, you can achieve your goals. In other words, do your best on the placement test and study for it first. If you don't get where you need to now, use patience and hard work to get there and before you know it you'll have the requirements for the nursing program. Remember if you are put in remedial math, there are still OTHER classes you can take that are credit level at the same time

Posted by: Adil ()
Date: November 14, 2014 05:35PM

Can someone share the ESL test essay topic here, I am wondering what topic they give for one hour essay?

Thanks

Posted by: uknowwho ()
Date: May 18, 2015 01:53PM

Are there book's available for placement test? And if yes, where can I get them. I'm bad at studying online. Help

Posted by: HTEUy ()
Date: May 18, 2015 05:53PM

1) get a used algrebra book and read throught it quick at least once

2) if you see the teacher shown above MAKE SURE you get in that class

3) college today IS NOT ANYTHING LIKE college from years ago. they are only going to delay you and run up the bill as fast and hard as they can fuck you up the ass. really. the tests aren't the same kind either.

Posted by: V White ()
Date: May 04, 2016 11:47AM

I need to take MTH 151. However, I still need to take the placement test.
How hard is to pass the placement test in order to take MTH 151?
Anyone taken the test lately???
I'm so scared of taking Math class. I'm so dumb:(

Posted by: Kate ()
Date: May 04, 2016 11:59AM

I have taken the test recently and I'm just going to warn you, if you did not do well with math in high school, you will not pass.

If you can't remember any math from high school, you will not pass.

I took the placement test right after I graduated and I still failed it horribly and had to take remedial math. It covers Algebra 1, geometry, and Algebra 2.

I was able to by-pass taking MTH 151 because I had so many problems with math. They let me substitute a science class for it. Depending on your degree, you might be able to do that too.

Posted by: V White ()
Date: May 04, 2016 12:27PM

Thank you so much for your help!

My major is Hospitality Management. I was horrible in Math back in HS...years ago..2001. I cannot even image now!

Give me anxiety only to think about it. I won't be able to graduate if I don't take it I think....

I just have 2 classes left to graduate....

Did you talk to your adviser in order to substitute the class?

Posted by: dcTXK ()
Date: May 05, 2016 04:40PM

dcTXK

Posted by: Jamiej22 ()
Date: June 05, 2017 04:39PM

I have a friend who is about to take the placement test at nova and my friend asks if they are allowed to use a calculator for all portions on the test

Posted by: Jamiej ()
Date: June 05, 2017 04:59PM

Are you allowed to use a calculator for all portions of the VPT math?

Posted by: Guitar Herooooooo ()
Date: June 08, 2017 02:55AM

If you have to take MTH151, do it with Leonard Greenberg. Dude is old as shit and only has a take-home midterm and a final in-class that's open notes. I suck at Math and that was the easiest A I've ever gotten.

Posted by: guitar hero ()
Date: June 08, 2017 02:59AM

They let you use an online one on the computer, but it barely has any functions.

Posted by: Jamie j ()
Date: June 09, 2017 04:59PM

No vt do they let you use a calculator on every single question on the test?

Posted by: Jamiej ()
Date: June 09, 2017 04:59PM

*but not vt

Posted by: C ()
Date: June 09, 2017 06:13PM

He is asking do they allow a calculator on every single question on the math test?

ARe: placement tests at NOVA
Posted by: Tima ()
Date: July 25, 2017 10:48AM

I have not taken math since high school
I was wondering if anyone who has taken it recently can tell me if the questions are similar to those of the sample practice tests posted online at nova website .
I need math 163 and need every advice on which websites, books etc.
Would be beneficial to prepare and refresh my memory .
Thank you

Re: ARe: placement tests at NOVA
Posted by: NovaNowledge ()
Date: July 25, 2017 07:08PM

Yep, you should be able to master all 9 sections in the sample questions pdf in order to place into MTH 163. look up "Khan Academy" for help with certain sections.

Posted by: Jan ()
Date: October 17, 2017 07:51PM

Besides placement tests, is anyone here a marketing major planning to transfer? I'm having trouble deciding on which school to decide to transfer to, either GMU or JMU. Idk which school is better for marketing, even though VT and VCU has a good college for business, they are way too far for me and not in a good area for me to go to school. So which is a better pick for a marketing major GMU or JMU? Right now I like GMU bc it's close by but idk someone please reply

Posted by: what I should have done ()
Date: October 17, 2017 08:25PM

Just go to Europe for school or something. You can get loans and will have a more memorable experience.

Posted by: NovaNowledge ()
Date: October 17, 2017 09:16PM

You can't transfer with an aas in marketing. You would do better switching your major to as in business

Posted by: former student ()
Date: October 17, 2017 10:17PM

NovaNowledge Wrote:
> You can't transfer with an aas in marketing. You
> would do better switching your major to as in
> business

Marketing is an easy ass class...

Posted by: Jan ) ()
Date: November 04, 2017 08:40PM

No I am a business admin as at nova planning to transfer either to GMU or JMU but Idk which is a better school to get a bachelors degree in marketing. So which school is better to transfer to for business GMU or JMU? THAT is what I meant.

Posted by: Diana ()
Date: November 09, 2018 10:06PM

Does anyone remember the essay topics for English PTest?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.