HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best Steak & Cheese
Posted by: Buck ()
Date: December 04, 2007 06:10PM

I find the Super Steak & Cheese at the little Italian Deli in Centreville (Same shopping center as IHOP/Glory Days) to be the best around. Any others?

Buck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Steak & Cheese
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 04, 2007 06:25PM

Any others?

The Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory is pretty good. I'm from the philly area, so i'm pretty hard to please in this category. But check it out, they are actually quite decent. There is one in Georgetown, and one in the Tysons I food court.

Philadelphia Mike's in Reston used to be pretty good too, but i havent been out there in awhile. Not as authentic, but good. Warning: do not go to the Philadelphia Mike's in Rosslyn, it's disgusting and the food isnt like the one in Reston.

There are others that I can't think of right now, maybe i'll post again when i remember.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: December 04, 2007 06:49PM

Last spring, a Cheesesteak Factory opened on Duke St. right down from Generous Georges Pizza (Heading towards Annandale from Alex.)

Posted by: Cake ()
Date: December 04, 2007 07:12PM

I think the one in georgetown sucks actually.. Really haven't found any good ones around where i live

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: December 04, 2007 07:13PM

why dont yooz guys buy your own steaks, some amorossa rolls and some cheese and make your own damn cheesesteaks?

Date: December 04, 2007 07:25PM

some amorossa rolls

You can get Amoroso's in the DC area?? Where? Please let me know!

Posted by: SaMiViMa ()
Date: December 04, 2007 07:52PM

Mama Lucia (sp?) in Fair City Mall.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: December 04, 2007 09:47PM

Mmmm, best steak and cheese? I vote * Mario's Pizza House...in Arlington town (old radio jingle)

*Best tried at 4:00 am while under the (extreme) influence of alcohol and/or illicit drugs.

Super Double Ham, Steak, and Cheese....good eatin'!

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: December 04, 2007 10:13PM

Mario's does have a decent steak - n - cheese. I typically get the Lefty's special - hold the pickles and light on the slaw.

Posted by: Mario's Fan ()
Date: December 04, 2007 10:35PM

The Mario's steak and cheese is quite different from the Philly style--the meat is thicker and on the tough side, but has good flavor. I was never a big fan of the Steak, Egg, and Cheese, but that was the top seller among the post-Midnight crowd, going back about 30 years. It is an acquired taste, with the "standard" dressings being mustard, mayo, pickles, and a dry slaw. Once you acquire the taste, however, the steak and cheese is addictive.

For something closer to authentic Philly cheesesteaks, I have heard that Al's Steak in Alexandria (Mt. Vernon Avenue or thereabouts) is supposed to be as close as you can get around DC. I went there several years ago, and it was pretty good. They did, at the time, use Amoroso's rolls.

Posted by: blah ()
Date: December 05, 2007 12:06AM

pizza pasta plus in annandale is real good and eastern in arlington is even better.. best 2 places i've had steak and cheese at

Date: December 05, 2007 08:26AM

> with the "standard" dressings being mustard, mayo, pickles, and a dry slaw.

It'd be real funny to try to order something like this at Geno's. I can only imagine the reaction you'd get, lol

I remember getting freaked out soon after I moved to the DC area, when some place asked me if I wanted mayo on the cheesesteak I was ordering... I almost didnt know what the heck they were talking about... but mustard AND dry slaw?? Man, never heard of that before... actually sounds sorta interesting.

Posted by: Cris ()
Date: December 05, 2007 09:01AM

Al's Steak House (Mt. Vernon Avenue in Del Ray section of Alexandria). By far the best!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Colin ()
Date: December 05, 2007 10:07AM

> with the "standard" dressings being mustard, mayo, pickles, and a dry slaw.

Please keep in mind that the thread title is "Best Steak & Cheese"

NOT cheesesteak. Big difference.

Posted by: just curious ()
Date: December 05, 2007 10:15AM

Colin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > with the "standard" dressings being mustard,
> mayo, pickles, and a dry slaw.
>
> Please keep in mind that the thread title is "Best
> Steak & Cheese"
>
> NOT cheesesteak. Big difference.

what is the difference?

Posted by: Se ()
Date: December 05, 2007 10:22AM

Off topic- but who knows where to get the best gyros? So far I think Skorpios in Vienna takes the cake. Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Date: December 05, 2007 10:36AM

gyros... So far I think Skorpios in Vienna takes the cake.

I agree 100% w/ Skorpios. Those things are awesome!

RE: the difference between cheesesteaks and "steak and cheese"--

My opinion is that a cheesesteak is more of what you will find around the philly area. It has more of the simple traditional items on it; cheese, onions, pizza sauce, mushrooms. A cheesesteak does not have things like mayo on it, or lettuce, tomato, buffalo wing sauce, feta cheese, jalapeno peppers, ranch dressing, bean sprouts, tofu, etc. When things like that get added, the result is a "steak and cheese".

Posted by: SE ()
Date: December 05, 2007 12:30PM

I thought cheesesteak was the kind with the gooey cheese on it, like nacho cheese? (instead of the sliced melted kind)

Date: December 05, 2007 12:52PM

>the kind with the gooey cheese on it, like nacho cheese? (instead of the sliced melted kind)

You're thinking of cheese whiz. But places like Geno's or Pat's sell cheesesteaks with sliced American or Provolone cheese. Alot of places up there also sell them with mozzarella, which is still authentic.

Posted by: hungry ()
Date: December 05, 2007 05:22PM

SKORPIOS..YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM.. I LOVE ALL THERE PITA WRAPS!!!

Posted by: people love it ()
Date: December 06, 2007 12:16PM

Try Murray's frozen minuet stakes. I own a restaurant in Fairfax and I serve this shit disguised as a Philly Steak and Cheese. The folks eat this up, I spend $.35 on a roll $.45 for some lettuce and tomato $.20 for a piece of processed cheese food and $1.15 for this "steak" and sell it as a 12" Philly Steak and Cheese for $9.95. No one has ever complained. Most of my customers are fat and lazy grease junkies and wouldn't appreciate a quality sandwich. The wolf this crap down so fast I don't think they really taste it. I could upgrade to better quality food but there seems to be an endless supply of obese car eaters who don't demand decent food. I'm open until 2:00 AM and I serve mostly stoned or intoxicated credit card paying customers from 10:30 pm till closing.

Posted by: 9UkKt ()
Date: December 06, 2007 12:20PM

Patriot Cafe?

Posted by: dirtyharry ()
Date: December 06, 2007 04:34PM

Has to be Pasinos, the food there is shit !

Malek's in Springfield Plaza is another shit bag. It was good in the 80's and early 90's but now it is crap. McDonald's is open 24 hours in Springfield and Herndon and is better than either of these shit sellers.

If the idiot posting above is really the owner (and not a pissed off customer) he is very misinformed. Everyone knows your food sucks.I ate there once, it was the worst. Eventually you will have no regulars and will close. Same thing for Maleks in Springfield it's dying on the vine.

Even large restaurants that start putting out sucky food disappear. Remember Chi Chi's . They had over a 100 locations and sales of $450,000,000 when it changed hands. They reduced the food quality and 3-4 years latter they were liquidated for the value of their accumulated tax losses. Pretty pathetic

Posted by: TUBESTEAK ()
Date: December 10, 2007 12:35PM

Who wants a steak and cheese made by an INdian?

Posted by: HIGHWAY RESIDENT ()
Date: December 10, 2007 10:31PM

AL's in Del Ray FTW!

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 11, 2007 02:48AM

I need someone from Philly to define "authentic philly cheesesteak", because I always thought tomato sauce of some kind was a normal ingredient. I also thought there was some kind of mennonite-made roll that had to be used.

I went to cheesesteak factory in Tysons, and it was not very good. Soggy. Greasy and soggy are not the same thing.

Date: December 11, 2007 08:10AM

>I need someone from Philly to define "authentic philly cheesesteak", because I always thought tomato sauce of some kind was a normal ingredient.

Go here: http://www.genosteaks.com/ourmenu.html

Pizza sauce is a normal ingredient but you have to order it seperately at alot of places.

> I went to cheesesteak factory in Tysons, and it was not very good.

The one in Georgetown is consistently good IMO. Only ate at the Tysons one once and don't remember any problems, but it is in a food court so YMMV.

Mennonite-made roll?? Lol, that's fuckin funny.

Date: December 11, 2007 09:33AM

Hey meeper, I can't make this stuff up. You know I don't have the imagination.

But it looks like I musta forgot I reasd that tidbit on Wiki.... not the prime example of solidly researched information.

I also got second-hand information from a tv show, saying that a person ordering a PCS in the "native" style would order it with "sauce and whiz".

Date: December 11, 2007 10:55AM

person ordering a PCS in the "native" style would order it with "sauce and whiz".

Sauce and whiz is good.

I also forgot to mention: if you want a real Philly cheesesteak, you need to get it from somebody with a major fucking attitude. It's just not the real deal if the person taking your order doesn't have a chip on their shoulder.

Date: December 11, 2007 11:53AM

I got mine from a woman with a french accent, but she was very polite... I admit I was confused.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: December 11, 2007 12:13PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I also forgot to mention: if you want a real
> Philly cheesesteak, you need to get it from
> somebody with a major fucking attitude.

Yeah yeah yeah I got you'se guyz philly fuckin steak n cheese right here. Sure, you want that wid or wi'dout? Whatever, cant get a PHILLY cheesesteak outside of philly ok? its like Sasquatch it DONT exist! Right?! Whatever KEEP WALKIN!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.