HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Personal Property Tax - County Targets former Residents
Posted by: Former Resident ()
Date: December 04, 2007 04:44PM

I am a former Fairfax County resident. I received a notice to appear in Court, being sued by the County for two tax years during which I was a resident of a different state. I have proven residency in another state, including documentation taken from the County land records and they continue to pursue. Do you know of others that this has happened to?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Personal Property Tax - County Targets former Residents
Posted by: § ()
Date: December 04, 2007 05:51PM

Assuming you're referring to movable property such as car or boat, I believe you're obligated to inform the tax administration office that you've moved out of state and would no longer be subject to the personal property tax. I don't see how they would know that you've transferred the property outside of a taxable jurisdiction, even if you re-registered with another state's DMV. Check out the regs on the county's tax administration website. -§

Re: Personal Property Tax - County Targets former Residents
Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: December 04, 2007 07:24PM

from the fairfax county website

A vehicle is subject to tax if it is normally garaged or parked in the County, even if registered in another state. Tax on motor vehicles is prorated for the portion of the year it is located in the County unless the vehicle is moved to a non-prorating Virginia locality.

If you "did" become a "resident" of another state, then show up to court with
1) Utility bills from another state
2) a Voter registration card from another state.

If FFX can prove you were a resident of ffx or at least the car was garaged here - a library card that was used during this period, a utility bill in your name, etc, you are screwed. Good luck.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.